THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 04-15-2005, 05:16 PM   #61 (Print)
amgqmp1

Send a message via AIM to amgqmp1 Send a message via Yahoo to amgqmp1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222
Well then TiVo shouldn't have put themselves in a position for their product to be dependent on another company.

Oh, my friend...this is analogous to saying they should make their own hard drives too...

<sigh>
amgqmp1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2005, 05:24 PM   #62 (Print)
iDriveX
TiVo/Mac Guru

Send a message via AIM to iDriveX
Definitely not kicking around the marketing guys, but if one marketing guy can show this thread or the response this is getting around the mac community to someone in the position to do something about it, there may be a better outcome from all this.

AirPort Express Network
iDriveX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #63 (Print)
mergy

I hear you -

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveX
Definitely not kicking around the marketing guys, but if one marketing guy can show this thread or the response this is getting around the mac community to someone in the position to do something about it, there may be a better outcome from all this.

Agreed - but I think Tivo is really running out of options and when companies try to figure out what they do, they tend to stick to the basics. The basics for Tivo seem to be "Bring Tivo contents to PCs".

Here is the article from the Daily Penn

My favorite is the line on

"recording anything, anytime, anywhere."

Too funny.

Another funny one is

"With this kind of service, you would be able to retrieve media files anywhere you wanted," Courtney said.

Hey David, you don't get everywhere by only going one place.

-----------------------------

TiVo executive sees great potential for firm
Company CFO sees device as middle ground between TV, MP3s, digital photos and clients
By maria lenis
April 14, 2005

If any students missed the most recent episode of 24, David Courtney may be their savior. The TiVo chief financial officer said the company is working to "recording anything, anytime, anywhere."

Courtney, who is also executive vice president and coordinator of worldwide operations for the Alviso, Calif.-based company, spoke yesterday about TiVo, which makes Digital Video Recorders for television. The company now boasts more than three million subscribers.

Instead of TiVo being an archival device, Courtney envisions it as the mediator between television programs, MP3 files and pictures stored somewhere on the Web and TiVo's clients.

"With this kind of service, you would be able to retrieve media files anywhere you wanted," Courtney said.

TiVo has a long way to go before it reaches its ultimate goal of complete media proliferation, or financial sustainability for that matter. The still-unprofitable company hopes that its trend of revenue increase will take it to a new level before the year is over. And with revenues of around $35 million in January, Courtney may get his wish.

NBC was one of the first investors in the company, believing that TiVo would change the way people view television, Courtney said.

Although it was one of the early adapters, NBC sometimes starts its programs a few minutes earlier or a few minutes later, which keeps regular viewers from switching channels but harms TiVo's recordings. This affects viewers like those interested in both The Apprentice and Gilmore Girls, who will have to choose between one of the two because they sometimes overlap.

Despite the minor recording issues, TiVo has had an amazing response from clients. Categorizing the subscribers as "passionate and evangelical," Courtney said they were partly responsible for the success of the company.

Wharton freshman Jason Gurwin -- who owns six TiVos at home and at school -- said "there's no other way to watch TV."

He admitted to being "obsessed with TiVo because it's one of the cult atmospheres like Mac, that once you use it there's nothing like it."

However, the overlap of users of Apple and TiVo has not been enough to strike any chemistry between the companies.

"We haven't committed to any plans [for integration] to it because of the cost," Courtney said.

He added that being able to watch media on Apple computers using TiVo seems unlikely "unless we find a way to record it under the current platform, and I don't think that will happen in the next few years."

However, deals with DirecTV and Philadelphia-based Comcast have earned TiVo many new clients, who don't have to worry about technology differences between their cable company and the digital video recorder.

Mike Watson, an Engineering graduate student, declared himself one of the "biggest advocates [of TiVo] you'll ever meet," saying it is difficult to understand why the TiVo is so cool without using it.

---------------------------------------------------------

Old 04-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #64 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergy
Under the Tivo people's vague comments, I think we could also say that the people in the thread are also working on a path to getting Mac support.

Anyway, doesn't make sense to kick the Tivo marketing people around since they probably don't fully know where the company is going either. The CFO knows where the money is going (and NOT going). Pretty simple - no money towards Mac development on new features = no new Mac features.

--------

After all the furor over the article and a forum user present who said the CFO said the same thing, the resposne from TiVoPony that just echos what TiVoBill said way back on 01/08/05 is just not going to resolve this here in the forum. I was hoping for something more substantial as well. till then it would seem that we have no reason to not beleive what was reported to have been said by the CFO.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #65 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Wow, this got us nowhere.

As stated, Pony's comments (not really his, he's just a mouth-piece for the CFO in this case) are exactly the same type of vague, ambiguous statements we've been dealing with for the past 3-4 months.

If TiVo had ANYTHING concrete to say (like support within the next 2-18 months) they should have / could have used this as an opportunity to speak up.

The member here who asked the question posted the info BEFORE the article appeared. Both he and the reporter came to the same conclusion. Only after everyone here and some sites get all upset does TiVo decide to make their usual ambiguous statement. That doesn't give me much hope.

What I see is:

From the CFO's standpoint: he knows the team working on this consists of approximately 1 Intern doing some coding 2 hours every week and some CEO-type calling MS and Apple for help. He knows that help ain't likely. He knows the Intern will finish in approximately 2009 unless more money is pumped into the project. Which he knows won't happen. So he gives the 'real world' answer of "ain't likely, don't hold your Mac-lovin' breath".

From the standpoint of Marketing, Programmers and folks like Pony: "Sure we're still working on it *wink*. See that guy over at the end of the row of cubes? Yea, Gene the Intern. He works on the project EVERY week! And my boss calls Apple all the time for help. It'll happen. Just a matter of time. Of course, Series4 units will be obsolete by the time the project's finished but I'm not allowed to talk about timeframes. But we're absolutely still working on it. Things just take time, they're complicated, ya know? Oh wait, the CFO opened his big yap and said what? Oh shoot. Be right back..."

To clarify: I don't 'blame' Pony or Bill for this - it's not their call. Nor do I blame them for not telling us more - that's not their call either. But if Pony or anyone else at TiVo expect me to feel one iota more comfortable about forthcoming support after today's "reassurance" they're kidding themselves.
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #66 (Print)
ccooperev
TIVOSMITTEN

Apple mentions Tivo in Bonjour article

Maybe this isn't the answer we're seeking but I found a mention of TIVO in Apple's description of their Bonjour networking technology...

Apple Mac Mini, IPOD Mini
ccooperev is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2005, 06:45 PM   #67 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccooperev
Maybe this isn't the answer we're seeking but I found a mention of TIVO in Apple's description of their Bonjour networking technology...

That's a red herring.. TiVo uses Rendezvous/Bonjour for their Home Media Option and Home Media Engine platforms. They also use Bonjour to do auto-discovery of TiVoToGo on windows. It does not indicate active development of TiVoToGo on Mac OS X.
dropd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2005, 07:05 PM   #68 (Print)
mergy

Note Time to acknowledge and move on -

Trying to save Tivo from themselves and the comments their executives make is not going to make 'it' happen. We all need to understand they are spending far more time trying to jam ads and crap into their product and being in denial that they will be the ones that "bring content everywhere" much more than they are even contemplating a Mac TTG.

I feel your pain. Just use your consumer power and learn from this. Tivo could do a lot to quell this whole deal if they ACTUALLY had ANYTHING.

Oh well -

Old 04-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #69 (Print)
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgqmp1
Oh, my friend...this is analogous to saying they should make their own hard drives too...

<sigh>

It really isn't. So here's a <sigh> at you. You can buy a standard hard drive from any one of a dozen vendors. So TiVo doesn't have to make hard drives to avoid dependancy because using commodity hard drives doesn't tie them to any one company. One *might* argue that they are tied to Motorola and whoever makes the MPEG chip, but certainly not the hard drive folks.

So, to make sure I make at least one comment on topic, that Myth setup is looking more and more interesting...
pkscout is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2005, 09:56 PM   #70 (Print)
Ladd Morse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
I've traded emails with Dave Courtney, and here's the scoop...

His comments were not represented accurately at all in that article.

We value Mac enthusiasts who own TiVo DVR's. And as we've previously stated, we're working towards support that would bring TiVoToGo to the Macintosh platform.

We have not yet announced a timeline as to when that service may be available though.

Cheers,
Pony
No personal disrespect intended, but that answer you have passed on to us is classic weasel-talk spoken by a corporate suit. The lack of respect for the intelligence of your customers is breathtaking.

If TiVo isn't going to do this, lay it on the line and say so. Accept the flames and move on -- at least you will maintained the good-will of your customers by offering an honest answer.

To those readers who aren't Mac users and don't give a fig about this tempest in a teapot, allow this to offer a clue that TiVo's opinion of you might be the same -- they just haven't gotten around to you yet.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #71 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

but in a new wrinkle it seems the CFO did indeed never talk to the reporter directly
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...9&&#post2774299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor
So just to clarify. Did the reporter actually talk to Mr. Courtney, or is she quoting you, quoting him?

-Dylan

After the lecture, I went up to him and asked him a couple questions. One of them being, is there going to be Tivo 2 Go for the mac in the future? She is summarizing, his answer to my question, of which she overheard.

now what TiVo should do is clarify the conext that the CFO was speaking in and let us gets his comments as he accurately meant them
Old 04-15-2005, 10:34 PM   #72 (Print)
Boob Tube Goober
Serial thread killer

Send a message via AIM to Boob Tube Goober
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Morse
To those readers who aren't Mac users and don't give a fig about this tempest in a teapot, allow this to offer a clue that TiVo's opinion of you might be the same -- they just haven't gotten around to you yet.

I'm not a Mac user, and am in fact just a recent TiVo user. However, I do give at least a fig about this tempest.

I've always held the viewpoint that how anyone, whether an individual or a company, treats others is telling about their integrity and capability. In reading posts in here and on the official TiVo (R) website, I had the firm impression that Mac support for TTG was a given. The recent developments seem to indicate that this may not be the case. Bean counters can be ridiculously short-sighted at times. Whether the TTG/Mac apparent debacle is based solely on a dollars and cents scale, or on lack of backing or support from a third party, it reflects negatively on my impression of TiVo's integrity and capability.

Lack of Mac support on a timely basis will cause this 25+ year PC user to be leery of any future TiVo statements and to not jeopardize MY credibility by "preaching the faith" to other possible converts.

Consider that this post is from a new user who bought his first unit on a whim as a Christmas gift for his wife, then was so impressed that I got a second unit a week later. The units do all that I expected of them and more! The 7.X upgrade has caused me no ill effects (at least so far). In short, I'm a happy camper... except for what I see going on with the Mac support.

I'm now a leery, happy camper. What price does anyone put on their credibility?
Boob Tube Goober is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #73 (Print)
anazoal
IamMe

Angry

@TiVo employees

...Countless times we've been told that you are here unofficially, during your own time, performing a service to TiVo users, and we have to be thankful everytime you post.

No disrespect intended, but your posts here are not an acceptable response from TiVo corp.
anazoal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #74 (Print)
dropd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
but in a new wrinkle it seems the CFO did indeed never talk to the reporter directly

Zeo, that's kind of like saying reporting a response from a press conference to a question that was asked by someone other than the reporter doing the reporting can't be trusted.
dropd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 03:23 AM   #75 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
His comments were not represented accurately

The non-denial denial.
pgogborn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #76 (Print)
chessplayer

Quote:

We value Mac enthusiasts who own TiVo DVR's. And as we've previously stated, we're working towards support that would bring TiVoToGo to the Macintosh platform.

We have not yet announced a timeline as to when that service may be available though.
Sounds like backpedaling to me. If his comments were "not represented accurately," then what were his comments?

And it's not just the reporter, we also heard from Rangers4me, the one who asked Courtney directly, in this post. So are you saying that Rangers4me is lying, or that he stupidly completely misunderstood what Courtney was saying? It seems to me that it is very hard to misinterpret someone saying that something is very expensive and that it is very doubtful that it will appear any time soon.

It's just not good enough to say you are "working towards support" without any information about the RATE at which this work is being done. It's too vague to say that; "working toward support" could consist of spending 5 minutes per month wondering if there is an easy way to do this, deciding that it is still prohibitively expensive, and then wondering again for 5 minutes next month.

No timeline whatsoever? That doesn't contradict Courtney's (alleged) remarks at all. In fact, him (allegedly) saying there would be no Mac support any time soon agrees rather well with having no timeline. Without a timeline, does that mean that TiVoToGo for the Mac is an extremely low priority, and won't show up for years? Or is it on hold indefinitely, awaiting a cheap quick fix?

Even the wording "support that would bring TiVoToGo to the Macintosh" makes it sound doubtful; why not say it WILL bring TiVoToGo to the Mac, and in a reasonable timeframe.

Is TiVo committed to releasing Mac support in the near future? Just saying you are "working" on it doesn't imply commitment; the work done so far could be minimal, and TiVo could abandon the work at any time for cost or other reasons.
chessplayer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 06:33 AM   #77 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd
Zeo, that's kind of like saying reporting a response from a press conference to a question that was asked by someone other than the reporter doing the reporting can't be trusted.

All I wanted to do was let people know what Rangers4me was reporting about the situation since he was the forum member who talked to the CFO.. That is his post verbatim. He does not say he ehard anything different then what he first posted . also the end of my post that you did not quote still calls for TiVo to explain themselves better
"now what TiVo should do is clarify the conext that the CFO was speaking in and let us gets his comments as he accurately meant them "
Old 04-16-2005, 06:43 AM   #78 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
point well taken, and it is basically what CWoody22 is saying. The USB dongle would be the thing that would have allowed this wrapper and just some minimal code to make use of it. A lot of feedback from here to not use the dongle as something that would be a PITA to keep track of and have on hand. Perhaps also TiVo discovered it was easy to mimic or break, but then again the DRM used on the Windows was broken within a couple days of it being public simply by making use of the directshow in other software - so that was not exactly a super strong replacement.

Killing the dongle killed Mac support.

That's it, isn't it?

When there was going to be a dongle based encryption solution, it was both mac/pc compatible. However, when Tivo (correctly) decided not to do a dongle solution but a software solution, it no longer worked for the mac.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #79 (Print)
JetPilot
Dissed Mac user

This is terrible. I almost bought a second TiVo for $99. Glad a didn't - now I won't.

TiVo needs open up the file format. Or, just do a system upgrade that decodes all files to MPEG. Heck, I can get any TV show onto my Mac if I just use my eyeTV to record it in the first place. What is TiVo trying to prevent by encrypting them? ElGato has no need for it and they allow you to edit out commercials.

My son had DirectTV tivo and when he bought a Plasma TV he dumped it for an HP Home Media Center. He added a HD tuner card and now records both std TV and HD simutaneously. He can stream the files across his LAN using a XBOX as a client and no waiting while they download first. Plus it's a PC with full WindowsXP functions and web access, music management, picture management, etc. etc. and no DRM crap. It IS what TiVo should have become.

TiVo and Apple are both getting left behind. And I say that as an Apple owner since 1978 when I bought my first Apple ][; I am a Mac user and stockholder with 6 Macs active in the house.

USB Netgear MA101 v.B
JetPilot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 11:10 AM   #80 (Print)
zingboy

This is all bunk. No respose has been good enough from TIVO on this. I've convinced several people to buy Tivos, have bought two for people myself and was ready to buy one in the next day or two for a wedding gift. Now they are getting a chopblock instead.

You are killing part of your "cult" that you like so much. Fix it.
zingboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 11:24 AM   #81 (Print)
hawk4hire
Future Attny -

Send a message via MSN to hawk4hire
TB - that was too funny...
Zeo - I think he said he asked the CFO the question and the reporter was right beside him writing down the answer - then she interviewed him after the CFO answered as to how that made him feel - but I could be wrong; that was the way I understood it.
Why not get the CFO to come out and FLATLY state -"YES we will have a Mac version w/in the next X months" Because HE is the only one who can quell this firestorm HE started.
No offense to TivoPony or Tivo Bill but the CFO made the statement and unless TP or TB come out and state without a doubt, and no ambiguous words they will be relaseing a Mac version w/in x months, Tivo(the company)'s credibility is at stake.
As I said earlier - this may be a case where the right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing - but only hte CFO can correct his words... and they need to do it quickly because this firestorm is all over the Mac community on the net.
jmho
hawk
hawk4hire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #82 (Print)
emory
TiVo Gave Up

Send a message via AIM to emory
Quote:

Cheers,
Pony

If you value Mac "enthusiasts" who own TiVo DVR's, you wouldn't have an executive that runs their mouth about how those customers are insignificant.

I can't believe I paid for HMO a few years ago only to get a boot up my ass by you and yours so quickly.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #83 (Print)
iDriveX
TiVo/Mac Guru

Send a message via AIM to iDriveX
I almost forgot about the $100 Home Media Upgrade that I had purchased...almost.... I was one of the ones that read the threads about people getting money back and discounts and I thought to myself, I'm not going to call and complain because I got a great service and enjoyed having the HMO. But now that I have a service taken not given to me just because of my choice in computing platform and TiVo's choice to please their shareholders before their customers, I am still paying the same price per month as everyone that does have a PC. Not right.

AirPort Express Network
iDriveX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #84 (Print)
timg

Quote:

Cheers,
Pony

Whoever crafted this email has a very bright future in politics. It says absolutely nothing and doesn't contradict the article at all. As others have pointed out already, just what does "working towards support that would bring TivoToGo to the Macintosh platform" mean?

It certainly doesn't mean that they are working on actually bringing TivoToGo to the Mac. They are, as stated, only working towards support.

Come on Tivo (Mr. Courtney in particular), tell us what's really going on! Enough of the political double speak!
timg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #85 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg
It says absolutely nothing and doesn't contradict the article at all.

My favorite bit of 'nothing speak' in the post is "We have not yet announced a timeline as to when that service may be available though"

It does not even tell you if a timeline exists at all, let alone an unannounced one.
pgogborn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #86 (Print)
hawk4hire
Future Attny -

Send a message via MSN to hawk4hire
Ahhh their legal department sanitized the comments therefore its a noncommitment commitment
jmho
hawk
hawk4hire is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #87 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveX
But now that I have a service taken not given to me just because of my choice in computing platform and TiVo's choice to please their shareholders before their customers,

Let me assure you that TiVo is not pleasing their shareholders either.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #88 (Print)
mec1991

Well, even I'm PO'd now. I have both a Mac (laptop) and a PC (desktop) and honestly have no use whatsoever for TTG, MRV, HMO, etc. but to lie to your customers and then offer a pathetic response as a non-explanation now has me looking for a replacement for my TiVos - and it won't be the cable card TiVo I had been looking forward to getting next year.

TiVo owners remind me of Mac owners in a number of ways; we're evangelical, enthusiastic, maybe even a little nutty at times, but we love our TiVos. But I have really come to distrust the company itself. Do they really have a HD version coming out in 2006 or is this just another smokescreen? And if so, is the interface going to look like Internet Explorer without a good popup blocker?

This Bill Clinton-esque drivel has got to stop. The answer is either yes or no, period. Do you have Mac support coming soon or not?
mec1991 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 08:17 PM   #89 (Print)
kcm

I thought Apple was a partner? Rendezvous .. er, Bonjour, iPhoto, AAC, all that? oh, yeah, nevermind. another point for my list of things to tell people when they ask what having TiVo is like. plus now I have to reinforce the doubletalk the management has been giving lately..

I WANT to recommend TiVo (again), really!
kcm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #90 (Print)
chessplayer

Claiming that Courtney was not quoted accurately is very different from denying the statement that TiVoToGo is not coming to the Mac any time soon. It does nothing to clarify the situation. We just need a straight answer to the simple question:

* Is TiVo committed to bringing TTG to the Mac in the near future? *

The evidence to date strongly suggests the answer to this question is a resounding no. While I'm unhappy about that, I'm even more unhappy about the evasiveness and misleading statements on this issue. I would rather be told the truth than to be strung along with false hopes. Although, after Courtney's statements, I no longer have much hope for Mac support any time soon, so I am left with anger about that as well as with the deceptive, evasive stance from TiVo on this important issue.
chessplayer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post