TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2005, 04:49 PM   #91 (Print)
Gene S

I got 2 identical S2 Tivo's. Neither of them hooked up to a cable box.
My "secondary" Tivo got the update recently. I don't know when exactly, I use it as a second tuner and transfer programs to my main Tivo. My main Tivo is still on 7.1a
Gene S is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #92 (Print)
RavenFan

lvirden, I have experienced similar problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvirden
My series 2 has been running 7.1a now for about 6-8 weeks. Since that time, I've seen several problems that are really annoying. I was wondering if any of these are currently on the list to be fixed.

1. The biggest problem is a tremendous increase in the number of "failure to load data" errors.
At least once every two weeks - and often multiple times in a day - I get this error.
Last night, we got this error 3 times - once from the normal attempt to download data,
once from me forcing the call a few hrs later, and once again after I restarted my tivo.
In the 15 months preceeding the update, I perhaps saw this problem two times total.
Now, I've seen the problem at least 15-20 times.

For the past several months I have had serious problems with my 2 TiVos connected to my wireless network. They drop the connection and can no longer establish a new connection without either 1) unplugging the USB cable or 2) rebooting the TiVo. Usually the only thing that works is a reboot.

Needless to say, it can be quite a pain to force a reboot and connection to download updated program listings. It's especially troublesome for those of us who travel and cannot reboot while we are away.

I am using wireless equipment that is supported by TiVo and worked perfectly for quite a while before the 7.1 upgrade.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #93 (Print)
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropd
Any progress on the double-button-press issues? That one is STILL killing me daily.

Yeah, ditto. It's really a huge pain when you're trying to key in letters for a wish list -- you end up going back and having to start over.

However, in the interest of not being totally cranky, it did fix the pixellation issue, so thanks for working on things.

Lynn

Last edited by LynnL999 : 05-03-2005 at 09:08 PM.
LynnL999 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #94 (Print)
Throg

Wow! I really stirred up a hornest's nest. I mentioned the theory of conspiracy and I have the update when I got home from work. Coincidence? Or did I put the fear of Throg into 'em? I think it's the fear.
Throg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #95 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throg
Wow! I really stirred up a hornest's nest. I mentioned the theory of conspiracy and I have the update when I got home from work. Coincidence? Or did I put the fear of Throg into 'em? I think it's the fear.

It's definitely the fear of Throg.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #96 (Print)
MusicMama

Finally got 7.1b

So, while I was complaining earlier today, my older TiVo was getting its update - found it when I got home tonight. As others have stated, the pixelization is fixed, although there was some initial stuttering when I tried to change channels.
Thanks, TiVo - sorry for being a "nudge".
MusicMama is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2005, 10:47 PM   #97 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throg

Coincidence. The release plan was mapped out a couple of weeks ago and is on schedule.
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-04-2005, 08:05 AM   #98 (Print)
ripple_024

here's a question...is 7.1b fixing the pixellation and audio issues?

nevermind...i read through the last couple of pages.

TiVo series 2 7.1a 40 hours unmodded - Netgear MA111
TiVo series 2 7.1a 140 hours unmodded - D-link DW122
ripple_024 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-04-2005, 08:09 AM   #99 (Print)
dirtypacman
Best in Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple_024
here's a question...is 7.1b fixing the pixellation and audio issues?

From 1st page 1st post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoBill
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you all a heads up - there is a new version of software about to go out for Series2 standalone systems. Everyone with 7.1a will be getting it in the coming weeks.

The new code addresses a few minor bugs. For many of our Series2 products this will also take care of the pixilation issues some of you have reported when changing channels with a digital cable box. The only exceptions at this time are TiVo boxes starting with 540 and 590 – for those boxes a separate, additional software release to address this issue is being worked on.

Thanks again to those that helped identify and isolate this issue for us -- it's appreciated.

Bill

3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-04-2005, 08:10 AM   #100 (Print)
ripple_024

i realize that but they've sent out updates before that haven't fixed anything...

Old 05-04-2005, 09:43 AM   #101 (Print)
Moebius

Quote:
Coincidence. The release plan was mapped out a couple of weeks ago and is on schedule.

Oh sure, that's what you say now .

Old 05-04-2005, 10:24 AM   #102 (Print)
blindmind3

Angry My Dilemma...

First off...I'm new to posting here but I've lurked around these boards for a while so HI ALL!

What bothers me is...

I ordered a 590 unit from the Tivo Store website for my mom for Mother's Day. The TIVO site recommended a Netgear WG111 wireless G USB network adapter...so naturally I ordered it since it was RECOMMENDED by TiVo themselves. Well...it turns out the system I received has software version 5.3 (I believe.) I couldn't get the adapter to work so I checked the site only to find out that I need the 7.1 update for the Netgear adapter to work. My mom doesn't have a phone line near the entertainment system so now I'm stuck. If I would've known this...I would've ordered one that was already supported with the older version. So when sunday comes along...I have a gift for my mother that I can't really hook up yet because she won't be able to receive updates unless I disconnect the unit, bring it into another room, plug it into the phone line and HOPE that I get the software update. And after the initial channel programming update...I have what, 2 weeks until I have to disconnect it and bring into the other room to update that? I'm not one to complain (especially on message boards because there is enough of that already without me) but this just urked me.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE this dang contraption!!! I've set up a couple of systems for friends and they work flawlessly. Coolest thing since sliced bread...and we all know how cool sliced bread is!!

Sorry...I had to vent! Or am I being irrational? Thanks for listening.
blindmind3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #103 (Print)
tivoking

You cannot setup TIVO for the first time without a phone line, so it does not matter if you bought the wireless adapter. That is one downfall to TIVO. You must use a phone line to run setup the first time. Many people in the US have dropped their land lines, and have gone to wireless cell phone, so this is a definite error on TIVOs part. This is a Linux PC, so they should provide a CD-ROM, which would allow us to download updates ourselves, and put them on CD, to install on TIVO.
tivoking is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #104 (Print)
dirtypacman
Best in Class

From what I understand Tivo is working on network compatibility out of the box.. though it has not been implemented.

You can search this board and try the #401 trick to see if you can have it detect the adapter that way.... thats hit or miss.

i suggest hooking it up at your home for a day or two to get software updates and possible by sunday it will be network ready.

3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #105 (Print)
blindmind3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoking
You cannot setup TIVO for the first time without a phone line, so it does not matter if you bought the wireless adapter. That is one downfall to TIVO. You must use a phone line to run setup the first time. Many people in the US have dropped their land lines, and have gone to wireless cell phone, so this is a definite error on TIVOs part. This is a Linux PC, so they should provide a CD-ROM, which would allow us to download updates ourselves, and put them on CD, to install on TIVO.

Oh I know that...I agree...they fumbled the ball there.

I've been setting her TiVo up at my place because I still have a landline. I use it like a junk email address.

It's just the future updates that are going to be a pain until I get the 7.1 Software version to enable the wireless adapter. I was hoping to have it ready to go for Sunday but it doesn't look good. Unless I get the new software within the next few days...I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #106 (Print)
DCDivenut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmind3
Oh I know that...I agree...they fumbled the ball there.

I've been setting her TiVo up at my place because I still have a landline. I use it like a junk email address.

It's just the future updates that are going to be a pain until I get the 7.1 Software version to enable the wireless adapter. I was hoping to have it ready to go for Sunday but it doesn't look good. Unless I get the new software within the next few days...I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I don't know if it is still but there was a link on tivo.com where you could signup for a priority download of 7.1a. I got it the next day. Since they have had problems with 7.1a and are pushing 7.1b to fix it I am not sure ifthis is up or not or what the deal is but it might be worth checking out and trying.
DCDivenut is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #107 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
The 540-series units *usually* work for network setup the first time around with a wired adapter (try the wired Linksys USB 200M) the ,#401 trick. If you plan to use wireless later, just borrow one from Best Buy temporarily. Just don't tell 'em it was my idea (which it isn't!)

Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #108 (Print)
blindmind3

yep its there

Yep...I did that Monday night. They claim 3 business days so there is obviously still time. My frustration started when I read this thread today. I know...my venting is probably a little premature. But oh well... It's too late now I already opened my big mouth!

Anyway...thanks for the replies!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #109 (Print)
tivoking

I was attempting a call in the afternoon and morning, and 2 days after I ran setup, I got 7.1a.
tivoking is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-05-2005, 07:27 AM   #110 (Print)
ripple_024

got b last night...all is well w/the pixellation. the menu still lags behind button pushes though.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:51 AM   #111 (Print)
blindmind3

Red face Just a little patience...

I got 7.1b last night. I guess patience is a virtue I do not possess!

I haven't had time to really mess around with it but I did notice that my menus lag more now.

But the main thing is...I'm finally able to connect wirelessly with the Netgear WG111 USB wireless adapter!!! It set up easily and worked like a charm!!!

Thanks to all who kindly let me vent on this board! I promise it won't happen again!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:14 AM   #112 (Print)
GoIU

Thumbs down

No update yet for me. I'm surprised that people who called and filled a complaint about 7.1a issues weren't given priority assess to this update.
GoIU is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #113 (Print)
aero_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero_22
TivoBill - can you shed any light on how you are selecting who will receive the 7.1b update? My wife is going nuts knowing that a patch is available and we have yet to receive it. I have called 3x to your Customer Service dept and they refuse to push it to my box, even though I have an open issue with the cable box pixelation and a fix has been available for 2 weeks now. Waiting a few more weeks is not going to cut it. Please, any insight will help, or if I can PM my Tivo box number to see if you can do anything. Thanks in advance.

Received 7.1b tonight - no more pixelation, menus are much faster.
Many thanks TivoBill - the wife is happy!

aero_22 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-05-2005, 08:25 PM   #114 (Print)
Cloud

I got my update... Menus are much faster. It's about time. Thanks, and I hope the next version doesn't break my TiVo again....
Cloud is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-05-2005, 10:24 PM   #115 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
This is no priority list for this release, but it is being rolled out in order of urgency. It is currently being pushed to people who have older Series2 boxes and who might be subject to the pixilation issue it addresses (i.e. digital cable box users). This will be completed in the next day or so. It will then be rolled out to other people who have 7.1a currently, and then to customers who have an older Series2 box but have not received an version of 7.1 yet.

Well, my newest box got it seems like two weeks ago and haven't seen squat on the older boxes since...and having it on one box really highlights the slowness on the others.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #116 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindmind3
I got 7.1b last night. I guess patience is a virtue I do not possess!

I haven't had time to really mess around with it but I did notice that my menus lag more now.

try a cold reboot. (unplug it and wait 30 seconds) that will help it install any last peices and clean up a bit more.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #117 (Print)
BustaG

Arrow Support for Linksys WUSB54G

Is there ever going to be support for the Linksys WUSB54G. Got 7.1b and still no luck. Would really like to be able to use my new adapters.
BustaG is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #118 (Print)
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIU
No update yet for me. I'm surprised that people who called and filled a complaint about 7.1a issues weren't given priority assess to this update.

Doesn't surprise me. (I was one of the first to call and still no update)
RoyK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #119 (Print)
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK
Doesn't surprise me. (I was one of the first to call and still no update)

Now I'm surprised. Just got it. Much better!
RoyK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #120 (Print)
AllAboutJeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoking
You cannot setup TIVO for the first time without a phone line...

Tivoking,

For the sake of trying to keep accurate information on this site, Your satement is not true. One of my TiVo's has never has had a phone line plugged into it.

...danny

AllAboutJeeps is offline Report Bad Post Report Post