Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 04-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #1 (Print)
javahmo

Galleon beta 8

The eight beta of the Galleon media server for TiVo is now available at: http://galleon.sourceforge.net

Galleon is the next-generation version of JavaHMO and is based on TiVo's HME technology.

This beta includes:
1. Added option to control safe viewing area for slideshows.
2. RSS reader.
3. Music organizer.
4. Fixed Shoutcast caching bugs.
5. Added optional HMO-like music player.

Here are some screenshots of the current version:
http://galleon.sourceforge.net/phpw...php/screenshots

Most of the JavaHMO plugins have not been ported yet; they will become part of Galleon over the next betas.

This version does not have an installation wizard and only Windows scripts are currently included. Read the release notes for instructions on how to run Galleon:
http://sourceforge.net/project/show...lease_id=324296

The packaged versions for the various platforms isnt ready yet; hopefully they will be ready for the next beta.
You should be able to use the configuration file of the previous beta.

Although Galleon is compiled using the 1.4 JDK to support more platforms; it is still recommended to use the 1.5 JRE to run Galleon.

This version is being released to get feedback.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:12 PM   #2 (Print)
gman622

you should think about thumbnails for your screenshots...
gman622 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #3 (Print)
IanFrost

Getting better and better with ever release . . .

Thanks
IanFrost is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #4 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

OK, got it all running

So far, I'm trying to add mine and my girlfriend's Netflix Queue RSS feeds to Galleon. We share an account, with seperate queues. I am the account holder. Her feed shows up, mine does not. Both of these show fine in firefox and other feed readers, and I'm cutting and pasting directly from the firefox livemark input box into Galleon. Also, I added a feed from wilwheaton.net, and it had viewable items in it when I first checked, but now that feed has disappeared as well! Is Galleon not showing the feed title if it cannot retreive any items? Like the shoutcast feeds, I'd prefer it if Galleon let us know that entry exists, as far as it knows, but that it is having trouble retrieving it. I fully understand that things may be unavailable on occasion, but I think if a user configures an item, at the least, that item should show as an empty container, on the tivo. I should make clear that the config GUI shows everything I've entered. It's only the TiVo that items do not appear on. But other than that bug report/observation, this version is awesome, and I am very excited about the RSS support.

The music organizer is very nice and appears to work well(in my 20 mins of playing), but something I've wanted since JavaHMO introduced the organizer concept, is the ability to work with the organizer categories manually from within the config GUI. The default queries are useful, and they make a good starting point for new users. But for (anal) people like me, I want a finer level of control over the way the metadata is both organized and presented. I have been able to manually edit the strings following the documentation, and that is a so-so solution, but what I'd really like to see is a GUI editor similar to the view editor in the Winamp5 media library and the smart playlist editor in iTunes. Something that allows me visually work with the queries, rather than having to rely on a text interface and my own (mediocre) ability to devise queries by hand.

Enough with the suggestions, I'm going to play for awhile and bughunt .

Thanks again for all the effort so far,
Cassidy
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #5 (Print)
lhuff

Problems with Music

Thanks, great release.

I'm having a problem where I get the "This stream is not available" message when I try to play some albums from the Music app. I haven't figured out what's causing it. With Beta 7 I tried ShoutCast got the message and then music and got the message with the first album I tried to play. I thought they might be related. With Beta 8, I didn't install ShoutCast so maybe I'm wrong.

Could it be the bit rate at which it was recorded? I noticed that it seems to mostly affect music I ripped from CDs I bought from less known artist at bluegrass concerts. Some don't even find the album cover on the Internet.

Could the ShoutCast app have written something somewhere that's causing the problems?

Thanks!!

Old 04-30-2005, 03:47 PM   #6 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuff
Thanks, great release.

I'm having a problem where I get the "This stream is not available" message when I try to play some albums from the Music app. I haven't figured out what's causing it. With Beta 7 I tried ShoutCast got the message and then music and got the message with the first album I tried to play. I thought they might be related. With Beta 8, I didn't install ShoutCast so maybe I'm wrong.

Could it be the bit rate at which it was recorded? I noticed that it seems to mostly affect music I ripped from CDs I bought from less known artist at bluegrass concerts. Some don't even find the album cover on the Internet.

Could the ShoutCast app have written something somewhere that's causing the problems?

Thanks!!

Have a look at the logs. If there is some error, the log will indicate which files have issues.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #7 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
So far, I'm trying to add mine and my girlfriend's Netflix Queue RSS feeds to Galleon. We share an account, with seperate queues. I am the account holder. Her feed shows up, mine does not. Both of these show fine in firefox and other feed readers, and I'm cutting and pasting directly from the firefox livemark input box into Galleon. Also, I added a feed from wilwheaton.net, and it had viewable items in it when I first checked, but now that feed has disappeared as well! Is Galleon not showing the feed title if it cannot retreive any items? Like the shoutcast feeds, I'd prefer it if Galleon let us know that entry exists, as far as it knows, but that it is having trouble retrieving it. I fully understand that things may be unavailable on occasion, but I think if a user configures an item, at the least, that item should show as an empty container, on the tivo. I should make clear that the config GUI shows everything I've entered. It's only the TiVo that items do not appear on. But other than that bug report/observation, this version is awesome, and I am very excited about the RSS support.

Currently the RSS app will only display feeds it can successfully download. It does cache the feed, so if it does go down it will show the previous data. My Netflix RSS feed is working fine.

Quote:
The music organizer is very nice and appears to work well(in my 20 mins of playing), but something I've wanted since JavaHMO introduced the organizer concept, is the ability to work with the organizer categories manually from within the config GUI. The default queries are useful, and they make a good starting point for new users. But for (anal) people like me, I want a finer level of control over the way the metadata is both organized and presented. I have been able to manually edit the strings following the documentation, and that is a so-so solution, but what I'd really like to see is a GUI editor similar to the view editor in the Winamp5 media library and the smart playlist editor in iTunes. Something that allows me visually work with the queries, rather than having to rely on a text interface and my own (mediocre) ability to devise queries by hand.

If you have any recommendations for categories, I could add them to the Galleon code. An editor for the organizer categories will not happen any time soon.

Old 04-30-2005, 04:04 PM   #8 (Print)
xenuetrawl

Does Galleon run as a service yet on 2000/XP?
xenuetrawl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-30-2005, 04:26 PM   #9 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenuetrawl
Does Galleon run as a service yet on 2000/XP?

The next beta will include a Windows installation wizard and will configure Galleon to run as a service.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:23 PM   #10 (Print)
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Are there any plans on integraton for listening to Podcasts?
DJQuad is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-30-2005, 05:51 PM   #11 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad
Are there any plans on integraton for listening to Podcasts?

Supporting Podcasting is on my list of future apps.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #12 (Print)
DMS

Shoutcast works great and I really like having the mp3 player on the same screen as the song title page.
DMS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #13 (Print)
morac

Send a message via AIM to morac Send a message via Yahoo to morac
1. The weather app no longer works, when I try to access the weather app I get the following error in the console window:
Quote:
84992ms: 192.168.1.5 connect: http://192.168.1.3:7288/Weather/
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.lnicholls.galleon.apps.weather.Weather$CurrentConditions Screen.updateText(Weather.java:337)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.apps.weather.Weather$CurrentConditions Screen.<init>(Weather.java:333)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.apps.weather.Weather$WeatherMenuScreen .<init>(Weather.java:170)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.apps.weather.Weather.init(Weather.java :82)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler.handleHME(Listen er.java:474)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler.handle(Listener. java:525)

at com.tivo.hme.http.server.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.j ava:92)
at com.tivo.hme.sdk.Listener$ConnectionHandler$Acceptor.run(Lis tener.java:564)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I enabled debug logging and there was no errors in the log. I'm not sure why I'm getting this error since weather worked last build.
In fact if I replace the weather.jar in this build with the one from build 7 the weather app works fine.
So it looks like the weather app got corrupted somehow in this build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahmo
This beta includes:
1. Added option to control safe viewing area for slideshows.

Thanks for adding this, but I noticed that you used the "title safe" area instead of the "action safe" area. It would be better to use the "action safe" area because that is the largest area that is considered safe (meaning it will show up on all TV sets). The "title safe" area will show up as well but it is kind of overkill.

I think you should change it to use the "action safe" area, but it would be better to add a dropdown menu where the user could choose which safe are to use.

I agree with gonzotek that the music organizer's GUI is limiting. I think there should be a way to specify whatever type a category you want.

Editing by hand results in two problems:
1. The server needs to be restarted afterwards.
2. The categories get overwritten when the GUI is used.

If there was a way to work around the above it wouldn't be as much as a problem. Maybe have an option in the GUI that disables the "user friendly" categories and let's the user enter them manually into text fields?

If not then could there at least be a "manual edit mode" checkbox which will disable the GUI from changing the categories. Also could you add a reload button so the changes get pulled into the server?

morac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-30-2005, 08:27 PM   #14 (Print)
briguymaine
Visual Assault Cmdr.

ca someone tell me how to run this in Mac OS 10.4. I don't know a lot about Unix, terminal, or that sort of thing but I'm not afraid to try!!

Thanks

Old 04-30-2005, 09:08 PM   #15 (Print)
saramj

Shoutcast and RSS

I added the stations in shoutcast and I now can finally see more than 4. However I can actually play very few stations. I continue to get the "this station is unavailable" message. I was able to play a jazz station for about 10 minutes the shoutcast player looses all of its color and then it makes my TIVO reboot without me doing anything.
I also added Two web sites to the RSS application. www.optonline.net and www.aol.com named them and and applyed them each individually. I cannot see any of these sites on my TIVO. The RSS shows on the TIVO for me to select, but when I select it the screen is blank. I do not see any of the web sites that I added.
saramj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-30-2005, 09:11 PM   #16 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
The weather app no longer works, when I try to access the weather app I get the following error in the console window:

I enabled debug logging and there was no errors in the log. I'm not sure why I'm getting this error since weather worked last build.
In fact if I replace the weather.jar in this build with the one from build 7 the weather app works fine.
So it looks like the weather app got corrupted somehow in this build.

Mine works fine. Did you do a clean install?

Quote:
Thanks for adding this, but I noticed that you used the "title safe" area instead of the "action safe" area. It would be better to use the "action safe" area because that is the largest area that is considered safe (meaning it will show up on all TV sets). The "title safe" area will show up as well but it is kind of overkill.

I think you should change it to use the "action safe" area, but it would be better to add a dropdown menu where the user could choose which safe are to use.

"action safe" didnt make a difference on my TV, so I used "title safe". I'll change it back to "action safe"

Quote:
I agree with gonzotek that the music organizer's GUI is limiting. I think there should be a way to specify whatever type a category you want.

Editing by hand results in two problems:
1. The server needs to be restarted afterwards.
2. The categories get overwritten when the GUI is used.

If there was a way to work around the above it wouldn't be as much as a problem. Maybe have an option in the GUI that disables the "user friendly" categories and let's the user enter them manually into text fields?

If not then could there at least be a "manual edit mode" checkbox which will disable the GUI from changing the categories. Also could you add a reload button so the changes get pulled into the server?

I'll think about it.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:14 PM   #17 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramj
I also added Two web sites to the RSS application. www.optonline.net and www.aol.com named them and and applyed them each individually. I cannot see any of these sites on my TIVO. The RSS shows on the TIVO for me to select, but when I select it the screen is blank. I do not see any of the web sites that I added.

The RSS URL must be the address of an RSS feed, not simply the address of a web site.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:19 PM   #18 (Print)
saramj

Quote:
The RSS URL must be the address of an RSS feed, not simply the address of a web site.

Thanks - how can I add these addresses as RSS feeds? Also in relation to my last post about the shoutcast making my TIVO reboot. The run command DOS box states the following message when trying to run the shoutcast application. "connection reset by peer: socket write error".
Old 04-30-2005, 09:26 PM   #19 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

re: music organizer categories

I guess a full-blown gui editor is a little overkill for the intended purpose , but a place to load a custom string sounds like a pretty decent and easily implementable idea. Maybe a menuitem "Custom category..." at the top position of the category menus? I hope I didn't sound like I was whining before, because I fully appreciate the amount of work you must put into all this, and always implementing people's bright ideas takes time and effort that could be spent elsewhere.

I'll put together some category queries I think are useful and post them sometime soon.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:27 PM   #20 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramj
Thanks - how can I add these addresses as RSS feeds?

Obtain the full URL from the site you are interested in; it is usually marked with an RSS or XML logo.

Quote:
Also in relation to my last post about the shoutcast making my TIVO reboot. The run command DOS box states the following message when trying to run the shoutcast application. "connection reset by peer: socket write error".

Unfortunately, the TiVo HME SDK still displays various errors when it shouldnt. TiVo knows about this. Also, there is a known problem with the TiVo recorder sometimes rebooting when running any HME application. This has also been reported to TiVo.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:58 PM   #21 (Print)
Hew

I'm having trouble launching this app. Do I need to download an additional program?

I've downloaded the program succesfully, and I've extracted it, but nothing else. What do I do? My other apps that I downloaded worked great right after installation.
Hew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-30-2005, 10:37 PM   #22 (Print)
morac

Quote:
Mine works fine. Did you do a clean install?
Actually I didn't because I figured I'd try an upgrade and when everything else worked I didn't consider that the weather data would be cached in the database so I just assumed something didn't work. I installed into a new directory and the weather app worked. What exactly is stored in the database since I find it strange that the weather would break because I didn't delete the database?

I did find one real issue with the weather app though:

In the weather alert menu, hitting the left arrow exits the weather app. It should probably go back to the main weather menu (or do nothing).

Last edited by morac : 04-30-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #23 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Actually I didn't because I figured I'd try an upgrade and when everything worked I didn't consider that the weather data would be cached in the database so I just assumed something didn't work. I installed into a new directory and the weather app worked. What exactly is stored in the database since I find it strange that the weather would break because I didn't delete the database?

The weather.com API has strict reload restrictions, so the weather data has to be cached between restarts of Galleon. To comply with these restrictions I have added better caching logic of the weather data in this version.

Quote:
I did find one real issue with the weather app though:
In the weather alert menu, hitting the left arrow exits the weather app. It should probably go back to the main weather menu (or do nothing).

Will be fixed in next beta.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:41 AM   #24 (Print)
msilano

I saw that someone had posed an issue with Shoutcast streams earlier and I wanted to add a little more information to that. Apologies in advance for the long post.

It appears that streams of the format:

http://Address: port/stream/xxxx

work just fine. Most of the Digitally Imported Streams are formatted in this way.

However, streams of the format:

http://Address: port

do not.

Here is a list of URL's that don't work - each of these was valid at the time that I tried and played properly through WinAmp.

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,AccuRadio presents: HitKast
http://209.133.33.250:8006
#EXTINF:-1,AccuRadio presents: Swingin'Pop Standards
http://209.133.33.251:8002
#EXTINF:-1,MysticRadio - A Cosmic Blend of New Age, Chill, Ragas and Rock
http://64.202.98.51:7150
#EXTINF:-1,NBOX RADIO: KMGX - The Best Mix of the 80s, 90s and Today
http://64.202.98.80:8500
#EXTINF:-1,Cactus Radio - Live from the Desert
http://209.220.60.66:8000/
#EXTINF:-1,Rock Chicks Radio -- www.rockchicksradio.com - Server 2
http://rcr2.finistware.com
#EXTINF:-1,XTC Radio
http://stream.xtcradio.com:8069/
#EXTINF:-1,AfterHoursDJ
http://broadband.afterhoursdjs.org:8008
#EXTINF:-1,Frequence3 -- www.Frequence3.org (1)
http://stream-hautdebit.frequence3.net:8000
#EXTINF:-1,WOLF FM - The hottest mix of the 70s, 80s and today!
http://216.218.147.60:8035
#EXTINF:-1,[radio.wazee] (1)
http://66.98.162.48:8206/
#EXTINF:-1,Virgin Radio (1)
http://69.28.128.148:80/stream/vruk_vr_lo

If you type in any of the above links into a browser, they bring up the Shoutcast D.N.A.S Status screen. WinAmp seems to be able to navigate the redirection and listen to these streams.

Links that operate correctly in Galleon bring up a music stream at the same address.

Galleon does not like any of these. Here is a portion of the log.txt file with debugging enabled.

12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: AccuRadio presents: HitKast=http://209.133.33.250:8006
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: AccuRadio presents: Swingin'Pop Standards=http://209.133.33.251:8002
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: MysticRadio - A Cosmic Blend of New Age, Chill, Ragas and Rock=http://64.202.98.51:7150
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: NBOX RADIO: KMGX - The Best Mix of the 80s, 90s and Today=http://64.202.98.80:8500
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: Cactus Radio - Live from the Desert=http://209.220.60.66:8000/
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: Rock Chicks Radio -- www.rockchicksradio.com - Server 2=http://rcr2.finistware.com
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: XTC Radio=http://stream.xtcradio.com:8069/
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: AfterHoursDJ=http://broadband.afterhoursdjs.org:8008
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: Frequence3 -- www.Frequence3.org (1)=http://stream-hautdebit.frequence3.net:8000
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: WOLF FM - The hottest mix of the 70s, 80s and today!=http://216.218.147.60:8035
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: [radio.wazee] (1)=http://66.98.162.48:8206/
12:29:49,682 DEBUG [Acceptor] M3uPlaylist - PlaylistItem: Virgin Radio (1)=http://69.28.128.148:80/stream/vruk_vr_lo
12:29:51,505 DEBUG [Thread-156] DefaultApplication - mStreamResource=567
12:29:52,046 DEBUG [Acceptor] Mp3Url - getStream: 15785035/3057.http.mp3, Music[#1,uri=null]
12:29:52,176 ERROR [Acceptor] Mp3Url - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: 15785035/3057.http.mp3
12:29:52,176 DEBUG [Acceptor] Mp3Url - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.FutureResult.setException(U nknown Source)
at EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.FutureResult$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Stream closed
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.getBufIfOpen(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$HttpInputStream. read(Unknown Source)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.media.Mp3Url$URLStream.read(Mp3Url.jav a:122)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
at javazoom.spi.mpeg.sampled.file.tag.IcyInputStream.read(Unkno wn Source)
at javazoom.spi.mpeg.sampled.file.tag.IcyInputStream.readCRLFLi ne(Unknown Source)
at javazoom.spi.mpeg.sampled.file.tag.IcyInputStream.readInitia lHeaders(Unknown Source)
at javazoom.spi.mpeg.sampled.file.tag.IcyInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.media.Mp3Url$1TimedThread.call(Mp3Url. java:74)
... 2 more

12:29:52,176 DEBUG [Acceptor] Mp3Url - getStream: 15785035/3057.http.mp3, Music[#1,uri=null]
12:29:52,286 ERROR [Acceptor] Mp3Url - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: 15785035/3057.http.mp3
12:29:52,286 DEBUG [Acceptor] Mp3Url - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection$HttpInputStream. read(Unknown Source)
at javazoom.spi.mpeg.sampled.file.tag.IcyInputStream.readCRLFLi ne(Unknown Source)
at javazoom.spi.mpeg.sampled.file.tag.IcyInputStream.readInitia lHeaders(Unknown Source)
... 2 more

12:30:02,591 DEBUG [Acceptor] DefaultApplication - mStreamResource=704
12:30:02,671 DEBUG [Acceptor] Mp3Url - getStream: 15785035/3058.http.mp3, Music[#1,uri=null]
12:30:02,771 ERROR [Acceptor] Mp3Url - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: 15785035/3058.http.mp3
12:30:02,771 DEBUG [Acceptor] Mp3Url - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
... 2 more

12:30:02,771 DEBUG [Acceptor] Mp3Url - getStream: 15785035/3058.http.mp3, Music[#1,uri=null]
12:30:02,861 ERROR [Acceptor] Mp3Url - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: 15785035/3058.http.mp3
12:30:02,861 DEBUG [Acceptor] Mp3Url - java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
... 2 more

Hope this helps - please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Thanks for all the hard work on this.

Last edited by msilano : 05-01-2005 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typos
msilano is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #25 (Print)
rjmitche

Galleon is some good stuff! I started playing around with beta 7 and beta 8 is even better. I really like the Music Organizer that was added. I like being able to easily go to a specific genre, or decade, or artist and just hit play. I also like the "now playing" screen that incorporates all of the tag data (including album art).

Is there a way to "randomize" the playback from withing this app? If not, is it something that could be added?

Also, is it possible to run gman622's TimeLeft app from within Galleon? I made a few attempts but, my knowledge of java is apparenty a bit lacking.

Great work! Thanks!
rjmitche is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #26 (Print)
morac

You can put any other HME apps you want to run in the hme directory and modify the launcher.txt file and they will be run with Galleon launches. I'm currently using both the Googlemap and Flickr apps with Galleon and they work fine. Though occasionally I get an out of memory error in java. Not sure why exactly since I have 512 MB in my machine.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #27 (Print)
saramj

Quote:
You can put any other HME apps you want to run in the hme directory and modify the launcher.txt file and they will be run with Galleon launches. I'm currently using both the Googlemap and Flickr apps with Galleon and they work fine. Though occasionally I get an out of memory error in java. Not sure why exactly since I have 512 MB in my machine.

How can I get Googlemaps and Flickr to run under Galleon? I noticed both applications on the community site but was not sure if they can run under Galleon (please be simple and specific for people like me who have very little programing knowledge - THANKS!)
Also I tried running the RSS feeds. I used Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/rss and http://www.infoworld.com/rss/rss_info.html). I apply them but I see nothing on the TIVO. What an I doing wrong?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:35 AM   #28 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

RSS feeds are not webpages. The two sites you linked to above list feeds, but aren't the feeds themselves.
This would be an example of an rss feed: http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories
That's the first item on the http://news.yahoo.com/rss page.

Often, you'll find an icon like these where there are rss feeds available.
The addresses for webpages and rss feeds are similar and it isn't always easy to spot a feed just from its address, because an rss feed and a webpage share things in common. They are both ascii files sent out from a central server to client computers. They both use markup languages: html for webpages and xml for rss. But rss works differently than html and its purpose is syndicating content, not creating inter-networked documents like the world wide web. So a user could pull news headlines from various different sites, along with their favorite blog authors into their own webpage, or listed on the TiVo, or whatever.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #29 (Print)
saramj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
RSS feeds are not webpages. The two sites you linked to above list feeds, but aren't the feeds themselves.
This would be an example of an rss feed: http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories
That's the first item on the http://news.yahoo.com/rss page.

Often, you'll find an icon like these where there are rss feeds available.
The addresses for webpages and rss feeds are similar and it isn't always easy to spot a feed just from its address, because an rss feed and a webpage share things in common. They are both ascii files sent out from a central server to client computers. They both use markup languages: html for webpages and xml for rss. But rss works differently than html and its purpose is syndicating content, not creating inter-networked documents like the world wide web. So a user could pull news headlines from various different sites, along with their favorite blog authors into their own webpage, or listed on the TiVo, or whatever.

Thanks Great explenation!!!!!! for us on techie people. Is there a listing of RSS or XML sites that I can draw content from, without having to search all over the place?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #30 (Print)
jubrand
Temporarily Stairs

Send a message via Yahoo to jubrand
The only problem I've run into so far has to do with my Netflix RSS feed. I tried to set up RSS feeds for both my and my wife's netflix queues, but only hers is showing up. Anyone else tried 2 Netflix queues?

Just a suggestion too, since the RSS feed addresses can be long, is there any way to incorporate a cut and paste feature into Galleon's gui? I was unable to paste the web addresses into the RSS module and had to type them in manually (but I double checked, and the Netflix ones are typed in right, so that's not the problem).
jubrand is offline Report Bad Post Report Post