TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 AM   #91 (Print)
tivo elvis

the superpatch intstructions state that it must be applied to a running Tivo, which implies that you have to Telnet in to the machine, which means that the machine has to at least have telnet hacked on right?

or can you really pull the drive and run superpatch while the drive is out? I know that you might as well install other things while the drive is out but at a minimum will this work to get HMO/MRV running?
tivo elvis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 12:47 AM   #92 (Print)
farleyruskz
Nunya

No, as far as I'm aware the superpatch must be run on the TiVo while it is running, which means you have to get telnet access first.
farleyruskz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 12:53 AM   #93 (Print)
tivo elvis

that's what I thought

even though I didn't have the nerve (or time, what with a 2 year old and all) to run through the 4 guide I read it, nearly pulled the trigger, and I'd like to add a big "Thanks Dave" it really helped me better understand the process and tivo hacking in general.

What do you mean, I've got something brown on my nose?
tivo elvis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #94 (Print)
bengalfreak

Truthfully, all you need to hack your Tivo enough to enable HMO/MRV on 4.01b or 6.2 is a serial cable, creating a file called rc.sysinit.author and adding a few lines to it, issuing a bootpage command, and then copying over a killhdinitrd'd kernal over to your Tivo drive.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:54 AM   #95 (Print)
beanpoppa

First of all, thanks for keeping Huge's guide up-to-date. That guide was a BIG help for me in putting all of the scattered (and sometimes contradictory) pieces together from the other forums. I'm wrestling with whether or not to upgrade my 4.x boxes to 6.2 or not. The speed increases would be nice, but not critical.

However, I'm fortunate that my locals (NY area) are on the 101 sat. For those with locals on the 72.5 sat, 4.x isn't a good option. The release of the superpatch for 6.2 is a big help to them, as they can now get HMO and locals, which wasn't possible with 4.x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
I will try to clarify anything else as I read through this thread. Onre more thing, at this point I can't see any reason to run a hacked 6.2 The advantages just aren't there, and you won't have a system that is as flexible as 4.0. At this point I would run 4.0 (upgrade using my slice guide maybe) and wait until 6.2 matures.

-- ReplayTV 5040 w/lifetime - on hiatus
beanpoppa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 10:35 AM   #96 (Print)
e30mpwrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
A virgin drive is an oddity, if thats what you mean. I had some really wierd experiences with a virgin Tivo drive from one I bought this weekend for development. In any case, you know a 6.2 InstantCake will be coming soon enough.
I just meant a brand new drive with no TiVo version of any kind loaded.
e30mpwrd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #97 (Print)
ddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
Truthfully, all you need to hack your Tivo enough to enable HMO/MRV on 4.01b or 6.2 is a serial cable, creating a file called rc.sysinit.author and adding a few lines to it, issuing a bootpage command, and then copying over a killhdinitrd'd kernal over to your Tivo drive.

That would be nice, but the serial console isn't enabled until you remove the drive and enable that too. Believe me, I have been searching for that holy grail of not having to open the Tivo, but its not out there.
ddn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 11:43 AM   #98 (Print)
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

Lemme just jump in here with a quick question before I drive myself nuts on various websites trying to figure this out. If I go in and enable ftp/telnet on my 3.1 hdvr2 rightn ow, will I be losing that when I upgrade to 6.2? So, I guess the first question is--do I wait for 6.2 and then enable the ftp/telnet and then do superpatch, or do I enable networking now, wait for 6.2, then do superpatch?
blhirsch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #99 (Print)
TTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhirsch
Lemme just jump in here with a quick question before I drive myself nuts on various websites trying to figure this out. If I go in and enable ftp/telnet on my 3.1 hdvr2 rightn ow, will I be losing that when I upgrade to 6.2? So, I guess the first question is--do I wait for 6.2 and then enable the ftp/telnet and then do superpatch, or do I enable networking now, wait for 6.2, then do superpatch?

I've been trying to figure this out also. I think (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) we have 3 options:

1. Wait for 6.2 from DTV, then add ftp/telnet and apply the superpatch.

2. Add ftp/telnet now, do a slice upgrade (which preserves recordings on the unit), then apply the superpatch.

3. Upgrade to 6.2 with an image, add ftp/telnet, then apply the superpatch.

Last edited by TTitan : 05-13-2005 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
TTitan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 01:13 PM   #100 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:

The quick answer is yeah, when you upgrade, you'll have to redo all of the hacks/changes/etc that you had done on the old version.

When you get a new version of TiVo software, it doesn't "write over the top" of the old version. The new version is installed on a totally different partition on the hard drive. If the new version installs OK, the TiVo then starts using that partition. (This is what the bootpage is all about).

Technically your hacks/changes/etc are still there, they're just on the "other" partition that the TiVo isn't looking at anymore.

This is why when folks hack their TiVo, they set it up so that the TiVo can't upgrade itself automatically. This gives the owner a chance to run the upgrade manually, which gives them time to put the hacks/changes/etc on the new partition BEFORE the TiVo gets rebooted and starts using the new partition.

IMO, the only advantage to you enabling telnet/FTP on your 3.1 now is so that you can force the upgrade to happen NOW vs. having to wait for DTV.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 01:17 PM   #101 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTitan
I've been trying to figure this out also. I think (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) we have 3 options:

2. Add ftp/telnet now, do a slice upgrade (which preserves recordings on the unit), then apply the superpatch.

That sound about right.

Just depends on how patient you are and if you want to save the recordings.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #102 (Print)
ddn

Quote:

I'll offer you a 4th option. Hack your (3.1.1) Tivo now and upgrade it to 4.0 using slices. You preserve your recordings, passes etc and gain HMO/MRV/TiVoWeb. Then wait a while until 6.2 matures and is intended to be on ALL TiVos, and upgrade 4.0 to 6.2 via slices, also preserving all your data.

Sounds like a win-win to me. Personally, I can't recommend 6.2 on a wide scale yet.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #103 (Print)
pendragn

Quote:

Depends on how you do the upgrade. If you just load the slices and install them, then yes, you lose ftp/telnet and all your hacks. If you load the slices, modify the installer and copy your hacks over to the new partition, then no, you don't lose your hacks.

tk

Old 05-13-2005, 05:18 PM   #104 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
That would be nice, but the serial console isn't enabled until you remove the drive and enable that too. Believe me, I have been searching for that holy grail of not having to open the Tivo, but its not out there.

Yep, you're right. No matter what, the first time you hack your unit you have got to pull the drive.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:33 PM   #105 (Print)
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

Ok, got it. Because this is how it will work best for me, I will wait for my tivo to upgrade to 6.2 and then will enable ftp/telnet--->superpatch. Besides, by the time I get 6.2, there will likely be more out there on this subject and perhaps an even easier set of instructions gleaned from predecessors who worked out kinks. I'm not in a position to troubleshoot, as this will be my first foray into this kind of thing, so being an "early adopter" is probably not the smartest choice in this particular arena for me.
blhirsch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 05:33 PM   #106 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
I'll offer you a 4th option. Hack your (3.1.1) Tivo now and upgrade it to 4.0 using slices. You preserve your recordings, passes etc and gain HMO/MRV/TiVoWeb. Then wait a while until 6.2 matures and is intended to be on ALL TiVos, and upgrade 4.0 to 6.2 via slices, also preserving all your data.

Sounds like a win-win to me. Personally, I can't recommend 6.2 on a wide scale yet.

so after hacking to 4.0 via slices, then I can just upgrade to 6.2 via slices and not lose any of the hacks that I would have in 4.0? is it that EASY?
the only problem that I see is that the lba48 kernel would be needed when upgrading from 3.1.1e to 4.0 when the kernel is already in 6.2, just an extra CD to get from PTV

Old 05-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #107 (Print)
ddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
so after hacking to 4.0 via slices, then I can just upgrade to 6.2 via slices and not lose any of the hacks that I would have in 4.0? is it that EASY?

Yup, in fact I just did it. I ran into a couple hiccups, so I'm doing it a few more times and writing up a guide. Smarter people than I have done all the hard work.

Quote:
the only problem that I see is that the lba48 kernel would be needed when upgrading from 3.1.1e to 4.0 when the kernel is already in 6.2, just an extra CD to get from PTV

That is correct but its trivial to do. In fact, the PTVnet takes care of it for you completely. If you haven't yet, check out my 4.x slices guide: http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xslices.html
Old 05-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #108 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002

To be clear (for others), even if you upgrade to 6.2 via slices, you manually have to copy/re-do your hacks on the partition that 6.2 installs on.

That's a whole separate step that comes after "running the 6.2 upgrade" and "rebooting".
Old 05-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #109 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
Yup, in fact I just did it. I ran into a couple hiccups, so I'm doing it a few more times and writing up a guide. Smarter people than I have done all the hard work.

That is correct but its trivial to do. In fact, the PTVnet takes care of it for you completely. If you haven't yet, check out my 4.x slices guide: http://www.dellanave.com/projects/tivo/4xslices.html

well then can't wait till you have that Guide up and running

but that CD is not for 6.2 yet, hopefully soon though

Old 05-13-2005, 10:48 PM   #110 (Print)
mroe

MRV & HMO so............ what the heck is this? I have the R10 and it came with ver 6.2 out of the box. Am I missing something? What are these features?
mroe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 10:54 PM   #111 (Print)
stim

HMO = Home Media Option - http://www.tivo.com/4.9.asp (look at the Music and Photo links on the left hand side)

MRV = Multi Room Viewing - http://www.tivo.com/4.9.7.asp

From what I understand, the hack is not currently available for the R10...
stim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 10:56 PM   #112 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroe
MRV & HMO so............ what the heck is this? I have the R10 and it came with ver 6.2 out of the box. Am I missing something? What are these features?

the R10 has 6.1 not 6.2

Old 05-13-2005, 10:59 PM   #113 (Print)
stim

I'm going to enable HMO on both of my boxes when they are upgraded to 6.2 by DirecTV... I have two completely unhacked boxes (one has an upgraded HD, but no hacks or anything). I've been reading up on the other forum, and I'm clueless...

I know that I have to transfer the superpatch to the TiVo's HD then execute it... Uhh.. What is the easiest way to do this? Can I execute the files when I have the HD pulled or do I need to enable telnet on the TiVo to do this? I found out how to add the FTP server on the other forum, but so far I've been unable to find out how to add telnet access... Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
stim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 11:36 PM   #114 (Print)
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stim
I know that I have to transfer the superpatch to the TiVo's HD then execute it... Uhh.. What is the easiest way to do this? Can I execute the files when I have the HD pulled or do I need to enable telnet on the TiVo to do this? I found out how to add the FTP server on the other forum, but so far I've been unable to find out how to add telnet access... Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

1) Superpatch must be run on the TiVo. You cannot run it on your PC with your TiVo drive attached.
2) You add telnet support in your rc.sysinit.author file. The following line enables it:
Code:
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

2a) You must also disable the netfilter for telnet to work.

tk

Old 05-13-2005, 11:56 PM   #115 (Print)
marquis6461
DTivo Killer

Send a message via AIM to marquis6461
An Easier way is reported to enable networking is this.

cd /tivo/sbin
mv iptables iptables.orig
echo '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
chmod +x iptables

Opens the system much easier this way.
marquis6461 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 12:10 AM   #116 (Print)
Kyotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn
1) Superpatch must be run on the TiVo. You cannot run it on your PC with your TiVo drive attached.
2) You add telnet support in your rc.sysinit.author file. The following line enables it:
Code:
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

2a) You must also disable the netfilter for telnet to work.

tk

Will the 6.2 software use a DHCP server?
What about adding this like in the 4.x guide so the Tivo dosen't call out.
route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1
route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
Kyotech is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 12:48 AM   #117 (Print)
Kerry High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotech
Will the 6.2 software use a DHCP server?

Yes, 6.2 uses a DHCP server.
Kerry High is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 12:51 AM   #118 (Print)
Kerry High

Quote:

2a. Get bash prompt on serial cable now, do a slice upgrade (which preserves recordings on the unit), then apply the superpatch.

That's been my evening...
Kerry High is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #119 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquis6461

cd /tivo/sbin
chmod +x iptables

How is that easier than typing one line in pico and creating the rc.sysinit.author file?

Old 05-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #120 (Print)
farleyruskz
Nunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquis6461

cd /tivo/sbin
chmod +x iptables

All that does it unblock ports that TiVo blocks by default; you can do the exact same thing with one command:

mv /etc/netfilter-enabled /etc/netfilter-notenabled

There's nothing wrong with the method you posted, but I fail to see how it is "much easier".
farleyruskz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post