Old 05-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #121 (Print)
frustratedinSC

no kidding
frustratedinSC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #122 (Print)
Kyotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn
2) You add telnet support in your rc.sysinit.author file.
tk

Noob question here, is the rc.sysinit.author file always there on stock Tivo software? I remember creating it when I made a 4.0.1b system but unsure if it's there by nature.
Kyotech is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #123 (Print)
farleyruskz
Nunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotech
Noob question here, is the rc.sysinit.author file always there on stock Tivo software? I remember creating it when I made a 4.0.1b system but unsure if it's there by nature.

Nope, it's one you create on your own. A cleaner method than adding modifications to the long rc.sysinit file that is stock with the unit.
farleyruskz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #124 (Print)
Kyotech

Still to green, I'm waiting for a guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyruskz
Nope, it's one you create on your own. A cleaner method than adding modifications to the long rc.sysinit file that is stock with the unit.

Thanks farleyruskz, I think I'm going have to wait until a guide or better instructions are up, I'm still to green

I upgraded to 4.0.1b OK but I'm not sure where to add the rc.sysinit file. On the 4.x guide it says to cd /tivo/etc/rc.d and there is no such directory. So where would I create the file?
Old 05-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #125 (Print)
pendragn

Quote:
Thanks farleyruskz, I think I'm going have to wait until a guide or better instructions are up, I'm still to green

I upgraded to 4.0.1b OK but I'm not sure where to add the rc.sysinit file. On the 4.x guide it says to cd /tivo/etc/rc.d and there is no such directory. So where would I create the file?

If you don't have an /etc/rc.d directory in your TiVo root partition you've got big problems. Make sure you've got the correct partition mounted as /tivo on your PC. You'll know you're in the right folder as there will be an rc.sysinit file there too in /etc/rcx.d. Your rc.sysinit.author will go in the same folder.

tk

Old 05-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #126 (Print)
Kyotech

Quote:
If you don't have an /etc/rc.d directory in your TiVo root partition you've got big problems. Make sure you've got the correct partition mounted as /tivo on your PC. You'll know you're in the right folder as there will be an rc.sysinit file there too in /etc/rcx.d. Your rc.sysinit.author will go in the same folder.

tk

I used the 6.2.dtivo.minimal.AlphaWolf from eMule and got it up and running on a spare 20gig drive. I do have /etc/rc.d directory but I'm not sure if I'm on the right partition, there are only 2 files in my /etc/rc.d directory. I have my HDD on master secondary and my CDRom as slave secondary. I have to read up on how to change partitions.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #127 (Print)
ddn

I'm really confused.

Quote:
I used the 6.2.dtivo.minimal.AlphaWolf from eMule and got it up and running on a spare 20gig drive.

Quote:

Are you running 4.0.1b or 6.2? Either way, the rc.sysinit.author is created in /etc/rc.d. IF you are doing this on the drive outside of the Tivo, ie: following the guide, it should be mounted at /tivo and then it would be /tivo/etc/rc.d/

mv /etc/netfilter-enabled /etc/netfilter-enabled.not is the standard way to disable netfilter on 4.0.1b. 6.2 requires the command moving iptables out of the way and creating a dummy iptables because 6.2 will assert if iptables isn't found. As was stated, disabling netfilter does not enable telnet, and it still must be enabled in the rc.sysinit.author.

I did say in an earlier post you could run superpatch with the drive out of the TiVo. I wasn't thinking. This is not the case because superpatch is a TCL script and has to be run on the TiVo. I guess the reason I said it is that all superpatch is is a script to change some locations in the tivoapp file, and could be done with a bash script while the TiVo isn't running.
ddn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #128 (Print)
LlamaLarry
Lookin At Your Lumps

Send a message via AIM to LlamaLarry
I updated a test (fresh) 6.2 install both ways (iptables mod vs netfilter rename) I don't think either way matters much. My current setup was with the netfilter rename and I have HMO, MRV, telnet and ftp running fine.

Next step is to slice upgrade one of the 4.01b boxes as a learning experience. I imagine it will be the TiVo pointed at the home gym - that one gets used the least in my house. :::sigh:::

Old 05-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #129 (Print)
farleyruskz
Nunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
mv /etc/netfilter-enabled /etc/netfilter-enabled.not is the standard way to disable netfilter on 4.0.1b. 6.2 requires the command moving iptables out of the way and creating a dummy iptables because 6.2 will assert if iptables isn't found.

I found that renaming netfilter-enabled was all it took to allow network access to my 6.2 DVR's. The post on DDB also indicates that either method will work on 6.2.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:23 AM   #130 (Print)
stim

Quote:
1) Superpatch must be run on the TiVo. You cannot run it on your PC with your TiVo drive attached.
2) You add telnet support in your rc.sysinit.author file. The following line enables it:
Code:
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

2a) You must also disable the netfilter for telnet to work.

tk

I don't mean to sound like an idiot... What the hell is the rc.sysinit.author file? Can you point me into the direction where I can read up on how to add that?

Thanks
stim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 06:54 AM   #131 (Print)
Stabu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stim
I don't mean to sound like an idiot... What the hell is the rc.sysinit.author file? Can you point me into the direction where I can read up on how to add that?

Thanks

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. If you're familiar with DOS the rc.sysinit.author file is the equivlant of the config.sys or autoexec.bat file. It's basically a batch file that runs a series of commands on startup. There are a few ways to add the file. You could use the built in text editors pico or vi. I personally find them a pain to use. I prefer to use notepad because its much more user friendly. Create or edit the exisiting file. Using this method you need to convert the file to a Unix format after your done. The carriage returns are different between DOS and Unix. The way I do that is with a freeware prog called DOS2UNIX. then just put the converted file onto your box in the appropriate directory.
Stabu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #132 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

is there anything different between 4.0 and 6.2 as far as file layout is concerned?
I am getting a file not found error when executing superpatch on my slice upgraded HDVR2.
I've put the scripts for superpatch in /var, they are chmodded. Is tivosh in a different spot perhaps?

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #133 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabu
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. If you're familiar with DOS the rc.sysinit.author file is the equivlant of the config.sys or autoexec.bat file. It's basically a batch file that runs a series of commands on startup. There are a few ways to add the file. You could use the built in text editors pico or vi. I personally find them a pain to use. I prefer to use notepad because its much more user friendly. Create or edit the exisiting file. Using this method you need to convert the file to a Unix format after your done. The carriage returns are different between DOS and Unix. The way I do that is with a freeware prog called DOS2UNIX. then just put the converted file onto your box in the appropriate directory.

There is a great shareware editor called metapad. It has unix mode built in.
Works like a champ.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #134 (Print)
JJBliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
Theres no reason you couldn't remove the drive, put it in a PC, boot up and run the superpatch, and reinstall it.

Except that it wouldn't work, and morevoer, an unhacked kernel will merely delete all your changes immediately upon reboot.
JJBliss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 09:41 AM   #135 (Print)
JJBliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
I guess the reason I said it is that all superpatch is is a script to change some locations in the tivoapp file, and could be done with a bash script while the TiVo isn't running.

Incorrect again.

<sigh>

Why do people post things without caring if they're correct or not? All it does is spread misinformation....

Look a little more into VMA addressing.
JJBliss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 10:25 AM   #136 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabu

If you hate the Linux editors but also don't like having to run DOS2UNIX, you can d/l metapad. Its a notepad lookalike with many more options. I keep it on the desktop. Just save everything (that you're going to transfer to the Tivo) in Unix format. In fact, I never use notepad for anything anymore since metapad is so much more powerful and its only one file and can be run from anywhere.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #137 (Print)
zleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
I did say in an earlier post you could run superpatch with the drive out of the TiVo. I wasn't thinking. This is not the case because superpatch is a TCL script and has to be run on the TiVo. I guess the reason I said it is that all superpatch is is a script to change some locations in the tivoapp file, and could be done with a bash script while the TiVo isn't running.
You can run the tcl script fine on a linux PC under tclsh with some minor modifications (e.g. file paths and the access to mfs to get the tivo software version).
zleep is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 12:58 PM   #138 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman2k3
is there anything different between 4.0 and 6.2 as far as file layout is concerned?
I am getting a file not found error when executing superpatch on my slice upgraded HDVR2.
I've put the scripts for superpatch in /var, they are chmodded. Is tivosh in a different spot perhaps?

solved
had to run the patches with tivosh

Old 05-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #139 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

I just looked at your guide and found it easy to follow. Just one question though:

What is the monte framework for? I thought 6.2 supported LBA48 without any additional modification?

Old 05-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #140 (Print)
tyke

Quote:
I just looked at your guide and found it easy to follow. Just one question though:

What is the monte framework for? I thought 6.2 supported LBA48 without any additional modification?

You don't need it if you Kill the right kernel, which does support LBA48.
tyke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #141 (Print)
ghostyroasty

I get a no such file or directory error on this section:

"4. Telnet into the TiVo and execute this command to load the slices into the database:
mount -o remount,rw / # Get this out of the way, although not needed until later
cd /var/packages
/tivo-bin/dbload *.slice"
ghostyroasty is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #142 (Print)
farleyruskz
Nunya

Do you have AlphaWolf's All-In-One toolset loaded onto your TiVo (and in the /tivo-bin directory)? dbload is a part of that package.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #143 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke
You don't need it if you Kill the right kernel, which does support LBA48.

That's what I thought.
I am using 3.1.5.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #144 (Print)
LlamaLarry
Lookin At Your Lumps

Send a message via AIM to LlamaLarry
He may have installed the AIO tar to /busybox instead.
I agree that the 6.2 init/chainload isn't needed if you have the right kernel, but it does do some neat things with the way it breaks up the process loading into test.conf, rc.runfirst, rc.sysinit.author and rc.runlast. It did add a layer on confusion when I was debugging my network problems and made no difference (for me) if I removed the actual chainload portion in test.conf.
In my later tests I skipped it entirely and am on the air. I did make use of the early loading of the serial bash and the loading background processes in lower priority. If anything I recommend 6.2 users read over the files it positions to see if something in there floats your boat.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #145 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:

I think I already know the answer to this, but it can't hurt to ask: I'm running a 160GB drive, but am only using the first 137GB of it since my old setup didn't support LBA48. Since I'm now running 6.2 with a 3.1.5 kernel (which to my understanding supports LBA48), is there any way for me to take advantage of the full drive space without losing any of my recordings?
David Platt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 07:29 PM   #146 (Print)
ghostyroasty

mine is in busybox... thanx, gonna try now
Old 05-15-2005, 07:40 PM   #147 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt
I think I already know the answer to this, but it can't hurt to ask: I'm running a 160GB drive, but am only using the first 137GB of it since my old setup didn't support LBA48. Since I'm now running 6.2 with a 3.1.5 kernel (which to my understanding supports LBA48), is there any way for me to take advantage of the full drive space without losing any of my recordings?

Nope
Once you do an mfsrestore/expand it can't be expanded again.

Old 05-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #148 (Print)
ghostyroasty

ugh. now I'm stuck with the same error during
/tvbin/installSw.itcl 6.2-01-2-301 in step 6... I put it in Bash, and I get a no such file or directory.. In ftp it is there. Tried doing it from the tvbin directory as well with just the installSw.itcl part and I still get the same error
Note: Gonna start over and see if it fixes itself.. lol

Last edited by ghostyroasty : 05-15-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #149 (Print)
farleyruskz
Nunya

Try /tvbin/tivosh /tvbin/installSw.itcl 6.2-01-2-301
Old 05-15-2005, 08:00 PM   #150 (Print)
ghostyroasty

Also, the 62init_framework_ddn.tgz is 404