Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #151 (Print)
mycltype-s

Send a message via AIM to mycltype-s
Well I am completely lost. I have been able to hack a drive and run 4.0 on it. I did this using a guide. I loaded an old drive and waited until it got 6.2. It did but I have tried a few things and everytime I get a reboot loop. I know that I am doing things wrong but I just can't figure it out.

12.4 @ 102 w/nitrous in a saturn???
mycltype-s is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 08:56 PM   #152 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

there are several things that can cause a reboot loop. What hacks have you attempted?

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #153 (Print)
mycltype-s

I tried to do something and just messed it all up. I think(and there is the problem) I don't want to f it up any more. I guess I will have to wait for a guide.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #154 (Print)
tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt
Since network support is not built in to 6.2 like it is with 4.0, there is no network settings menu screen. If you'd like to set a static address, add the following to your rc.sysinit.author (replace the x's with your desired IP settings, of course):

Code:
#Set the IP address ifconfig eth0 192.168.xxx.xxx broadcast 192.168.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 route add default gw 192.168.xxx.xxxnetmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

You also need to rename /sbin/dhclient to /sbin/dhclient.orig to turn off DHCP.

If you set your IP this way, MRV will not work. You either need to run DHCP or modify the MFS to add the appropiate IP settings.
tyke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 09:15 PM   #155 (Print)
bnm81002

what's the best way to upgrade directly from 3.1.1e to 6.2? has anyone done the upgrade this way, if so please let me know how did you do it please? I see that PTV has a CD "PTVnet" does this CD includes the necessary utilities/files needed to accomplish the upgrade to 6.2? from their site it states "USB 2.0 drivers, LBA48 support, InstantCake companion and other utilities" has anyone used this CD to help with the upgrade? thanks a million

Old 05-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #156 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

the best way is to plug your tivo into a phone line and let it upgrade itself.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:25 PM   #157 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman2k3
the best way is to plug your tivo into a phone line and let it upgrade itself.

how would I install HMO and other hacks then?

Old 05-22-2005, 09:28 PM   #158 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

after its upgraded to 6.2 on its own, the rest is simple to do, pull the drive, install a hacked kernel and hacks.
just take up any of the guides you may have found at the point AFTER they get 6.2 on the drive.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:42 PM   #159 (Print)
dgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtivoguy1
I was trying to install the usb 2.0 drivers..2.4.18

but it says I need to modify the test.conf file, but I can't seem to find it.... Do I create the whole thing (what i had in 4.0) ... or just add the usb peices... or do I add these modules somewhere else?

thanks

I tried using the 2.4.18 modules and created the test.conf file, but after a reboot I had no network connectivity. After reading some threads in ddb, I tried removing the test.conf (no insmod's) but that did not help. So I've restored the backup's for now.

GXCEBOT 40/80Gb (retired)
Sony SAT-T60 stock (retired)
dgilbert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #160 (Print)
newtivoguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert
I tried using the 2.4.18 modules and created the test.conf file, but after a reboot I had no network connectivity. After reading some threads in ddb, I tried removing the test.conf (no insmod's) but that did not help. So I've restored the backup's for now.

it's like looking in a mirror.... I had to pull the drive, and copy back the backups... thank goodness i had backups.
newtivoguy1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 10:21 PM   #161 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman2k3
after its upgraded to 6.2 on its own, the rest is simple to do, pull the drive, install a hacked kernel and hacks.
just take up any of the guides you may have found at the point AFTER they get 6.2 on the drive.

it's that simple Gunny? I've seen the 6.2 guide by David Dellanave, so those 6.2 slices are needed for HMO to work then along with the "patch" correct?
why couldn't I just use the PTVnet CD on my 3.1.1e then upgrade using the 6.2 guide? from what I've read about the CD it seems to have everything that I need? thanks Gunny man

Old 05-22-2005, 11:22 PM   #162 (Print)
ddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
it's that simple Gunny? I've seen the 6.2 guide by David Dellanave, so those 6.2 slices are needed for HMO to work then along with the "patch" correct?
why couldn't I just use the PTVnet CD on my 3.1.1e then upgrade using the 6.2 guide? from what I've read about the CD it seems to have everything that I need? thanks Gunny man

You can. In fact, I don't even think any changes need to be made to the guide to go from 3.1.1. I'll give it a go tomorrow night just to be sure. The only thing that would be different is you would definitely not want to try to copy the monte framework, but just write the killhdinitrd'ed kernel to the boot partition.

1. Use PTVnet to hack your drive.
2. Reboot into 3.1.1.
3. Follow 6.2 Slices guide to update to 6.2
4. Enjoy a hacked, 6.2 TiVo with HMO/MRV.
ddn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 11:35 PM   #163 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn
You can. In fact, I don't even think any changes need to be made to the guide to go from 3.1.1. I'll give it a go tomorrow night just to be sure. The only thing that would be different is you would definitely not want to try to copy the monte framework, but just write the killhdinitrd'ed kernel to the boot partition.

1. Use PTVnet to hack your drive.
2. Reboot into 3.1.1.
3. Follow 6.2 Slices guide to update to 6.2
4. Enjoy a hacked, 6.2 TiVo with HMO/MRV.

so install the PTVnet Cd onto my new drive and copy the 3.1.1e image from original drive to new drive then follow the 6.2 guide?
thank you

Old 05-23-2005, 12:03 AM   #164 (Print)
mycltype-s

If you have a 4.0 and it is locked from updating where would the files be for 6.2?

Old 05-23-2005, 06:20 AM   #165 (Print)
beanpoppa

They wouldn't. The ability to download new software from the satellite (vs. the telephone line) was added in 3.1.1d or e (not sure which specific release). 4.0 is a separate branch, and didn't get this ability added since it wasn't meant to be run on satellite systems. You will need to find the slice files via the web, and ftp them over to the tivo and dbload them manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycltype-s
If you have a 4.0 and it is locked from updating where would the files be for 6.2?

-- ReplayTV 5040 w/lifetime - on hiatus
beanpoppa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 07:26 AM   #166 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
so install the PTVnet Cd onto my new drive and copy the 3.1.1e image from original drive to new drive then follow the 6.2 guide?
thank you

I didn't suggest the ptv net route because teh cd costs 20 bucks.
I tried using PTV net cd on my original drive and got nothing. ( Of course I KNOW I should have used a new drive) If you REALLY can't wait for 6.2 to come on its own, then get your 3.1e unit networked and slice your way to 6.2.
Be aware that if you have WIRELESS, it may not work if slicing from 3.1e.
4.0 has the code to recognize a wireless network. I have no idea if ptv net does. 6.2 for sure does not. When slicing from 4.0, the wireless setup gets copied over so it just works.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:27 AM   #167 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:

The only thing needed to get HMO working on 6.2 is the hacked kernel, superpatch and set_mrc_name script.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:47 AM   #168 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Thought I'd post the steps I took to get from 4.01b to 6.2.
BIG thanks to Stewie in Leber CT for writing this up.
Keep in mind, this is not a hand holding howto and reading up at DDB will help imensely:

1) Using TivoWebPlus, check MFS under /SwSystem to see if the 6.2 entries are present. They should have been downloaded to the DVR via satellite. If you are running 4.x they may not show up due to the fact that the DIRECTV loopset slices are not present (they are not included in a software download, as all DIRECTV DVRs should have them on the drive from the factory). These, along with the 6.2 slices themselves, can be obtained from eMule and loaded with dbload (from AlphaWolf's All-In-One toolset). Once you load the loopset slice, the 6.2 entries should appear in /SwSystem. Note that the loopset slice packaged with AW's 6.2 slices is gzipped twice, so gunzip it, rename to .gz, and gunzip again before loading.

2) Telnet into your TiVo and modify /tvbin/installSw.itcl as follows (requires re-mounting root as read/write):

*Replace any instance of "reboot" with "exit 0" to prevent the DVR from restarting before you
have a chance to install the networking hacks
*Add $name as a new fourth argument to the call to updateroot

3) Run the /tvbin/installSw.itcl script with the /SwSystem to be installed as an argument. You will want to use the 6.2 /SwSystem that corresponds to the first three digits of the DVR's service number (i.e. installSw.itcl 6.2-01-2-151)

4) You now need to replace the stock kernel with one that has had killhdinitrd run against it. For 6.2, you can use a 3.1.5 kernel.

dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda3 ; dd if=/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda6

5) Update the bootparms using bootpage. During the installSw.itcl execution, you will see the partition the 6.2 software is being written to (either /hda4 or /hda7).

"Old root is on /dev/hda7, new one goes on /dev/hda4"

This is the partition you must specify in the below command:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hda

6) Set the kernel partiton to 1 less than the root partition and the alternate kernel partition to 1 less than the alternate root partition with the commands:

bootpage -B 3 /dev/hda ; bootpage -A 6 /dev/hda

7) Re-mount what will be the new root partition under /install so that we can move over our hacks:

mount /dev/hda4 /install

8) Copy any hacks you want or need over to the new root filesystem. I mainly worried about copying over rc.sysinit.author and the tivotools utilities (usually in /busybox) so that I could at least get telnet and FTP up and running; anything else could then be added later.

9) Rename netfilter-enable on the new root partition to prevent port blocking:

mv /install/etc/netfilter-enable /install/etc/netfilter-notenabled

If you specify a static address in rc.sysinit.author, you'll want to disable the dhcp client as well (I did not worry about this, as I have a static MAC <--> IP mapping on my DHCP server). Posts on DDB indicate that specifying network info in rc.sysinit.author does not allow MRV discovery to work correctly; check there for more details.

mv /install/sbin/dhclient /install/sbin/dhclient.orig

10) Unmount the new root partition, reboot, and pray everything comes back up

umount /install ; /tvbin/reboot

If everything worked, your TiVo should reboot into the 6.2 software and be reachable via ping, telnet, and FTP. During the reboot, you may see a screen that says something along the lines of "Preparing the software update -This may take an hour". This process took about 20 minutes for me; YMMV.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:51 AM   #169 (Print)
dgilbert

This may be a really basic question, but is there any way to view the tivo system info (the stuff on the system information screen) from a telnet console?

GXCEBOT 40/80Gb (retired)
Sony SAT-T60 stock (retired)
dgilbert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 07:54 AM   #170 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

as far as I know, nope that stuff is all stored in MFS therefore Tivoweb is the best way to view it.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #171 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpoppa
They wouldn't. The ability to download new software from the satellite (vs. the telephone line) was added in 3.1.1d or e (not sure which specific release). 4.0 is a separate branch, and didn't get this ability added since it wasn't meant to be run on satellite systems. You will need to find the slice files via the web, and ftp them over to the tivo and dbload them manually.
Actually, that's not true. I had three machines all upgraded to 4.01b. They all recieved slices via the satellite; all I had to do was dbload the loopset file to make the 6.2 software show up in /SwSystem.
David Platt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #172 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

and 4.01b was designed with DTV's full coperation and support, DTV just chose not to release it.

Old 05-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #173 (Print)
Philly Bill
Outsider :)

Send a message via AIM to Philly Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Philly Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpoppa
They wouldn't. The ability to download new software from the satellite (vs. the telephone line) was added in 3.1.1d or e (not sure which specific release).

Is that right?

So you mean to tell me that my 6.2 will NEVER be activated since I only have 3.1.1c on my TIVO?

Or when I call in, if it is flagged to update, it will notice the 6.2 hasn't been downloaded and will do it then? Geeze, how long will THAT take?
Philly Bill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #174 (Print)
e30mpwrd

I'm just about ready to take the plunge, but I have a few questions. First, I believe I read somewhere (at the other forum perhaps) that the 6.2 superpatch should be installed only after any other hacks are installed. Is that correct? I'm hoping I misunderstood.

Second, I have a new recently purchased hard drive. Would I be better off starting with Alpha Wolf's 6.2 image, or going to 4.01 (with the PTV image) and then to 6.2 via slices? The latter makes me more comfortable since I've already upgraded 1 TiVo to 4.01 and Dave's guides are so straightforward. Without a guide for using the 6.2 image, I'm a bit nervous that I'll blow it.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by e30mpwrd : 05-23-2005 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Fixing spelling error
e30mpwrd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #175 (Print)
LlamaLarry
Lookin At Your Lumps

Send a message via AIM to LlamaLarry
If you are going to start from scratch then you may as well go straight to 6.2 using AW's image. Since you've already done the 4.01b fresh install process before you should have a pretty good idea of the actions needed to get 6.2 hacked an on the air.

If you are using a wireless network adapter then you WILL have to slice upgrade. The other board appears to be working on some scripting to populate the MFS entries needed for wireless, but I don't think it has been completed/tested/verified.

As for the superpatch, I only used the superpatch and set_mrv_name as hacks that touched other objects. I imagine that if you have others that modify tivoapp you may want them to go in first.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #176 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

go with the clean 6.2 image unless you have wireless networking. If you're wireless,or don't want to lose your shows, go to 6.2 via slices.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:21 PM   #177 (Print)
e30mpwrd

Thankfully, I have a wired network. Not so excited about the superpatch ordering issue though. I'd love to get MRV working and then add some tools--in particular ones that I believe we're not supposed to discuss here that might emulate TiVo to go...
Old 05-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #178 (Print)
e30mpwrd

ANd by the way, thank you both for your input!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:41 PM   #179 (Print)
ddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30mpwrd
Thankfully, I have a wired network. Not so excited about the superpatch ordering issue though. I'd love to get MRV working and then add some tools--in particular ones that I believe we're not supposed to discuss here that might emulate TiVo to go...

It doesn't matter when you do the superpatch, as long as you have network access to do it.
ddn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #180 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30mpwrd

What superpatch ordering issue.