THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2005, 07:20 AM   #1 (Print)
minorthr
O and A Party Rock

Send a message via AIM to minorthr
Sunday Ticket HD games $90 extra

D* just posted their sunday tickets prices for the upcoming year. And unless I'm missing something it looks like they are charging $219 for the early bird sunday ticket and then an extra $90 for the HD games and some interactive crap.

You can read more here

minorthr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 07:23 AM   #2 (Print)
serumgard

That's ridiculous. I can understand charging more with the prices going up, but to charge me $100 for HD games is outrageous. Thanks for the heads up - I'll be cancelling Sunday Ticket now.
serumgard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #3 (Print)
minorthr
O and A Party Rock

It also makes no sense to bundle the HD and interactive because as far as I know there is no receiver that does both right now.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:33 AM   #4 (Print)
bralph

$320 for Sunday Ticket HD? That's crazy! No way I'll do that, especially when my team (Green Bay) is the national game a lot anyway.
bralph is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 07:42 AM   #5 (Print)
Seminole

Who cares about this interactive crap I know I don't I think this is the end of my ST and maybe the end of the D* relationship as that was the only thing keeping me from looking at Comcast which has all my locals and RSN'S in HD
Seminole is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #6 (Print)
kaszeta

Indeed, this is getting out of hand...

I'll have to agree... Charging an additional $90 for HD games, that were free this year. Considering that for me a good fraction of the games I'm interested will be "blacked out" and only available on the crappy low-quality local stations, I might just give ST a pass this year.
kaszeta is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 08:13 AM   #7 (Print)
georgemoe
TiVo Army Grunt

I've never had ST but was that much closer to it when I got my HR10-250 this year.

Not now!

Old 05-13-2005, 08:17 AM   #8 (Print)
HDTivoUser
Early Adopter

Just call and complain. The only reason I am with D* is for the NFLST. To charge an extra $100 is rediculous. Especially, when that $100 includes feature I don't want or can't use. I just called D* and a told them that they were crazy! Regardless, being the serious fan I am, I did order the Superfan Package. In return, I was given a $20 per month credit toward my total choice package for 6 months ($120).
HDTivoUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 08:21 AM   #9 (Print)
burgh fan

Great marketing Introduce a new feature that nobody is going to buy for a machine that nobody has yet. Even crack dealers don't charge you for the first rock (so I've been told). Try getting us hooked first, then screw us over next season. Lumping the HD games with this just plain sux--and even though I'm a devout Pittsburgh fan living in Chicago, I'll have to say NO to the super fan package (they have a lot of national games this season anyway)!
burgh fan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #10 (Print)
jportnoy

"DirecTV will continue to have exclusive rights to "NFL Sunday Ticket" through 2010; it will pay $3.5 billion, compared with the $2 billion it pays in the current deal."

It's basic economics, D* has a monopoly as it is the only place you will be able to get out of market NFL games in HD at least through 2010. If NFL HD games are important to you then you've already put out thousands for a television or projector and a receiver, so another $300 per year is not that much. Remember also that as of 2006 ALL of the games will be in HD. If it's not that important to you than you can pass and get the games of the week in your local area.

The NFL is a big draw for D*, it's the reason they have many of their subscribers IMHO. AS HD TV's drop in price and become more prevalent, NFL fans will be looking for HD content, and D* will provide.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #11 (Print)
burgh fan

Actually it's only another $90 or $100 (depending on early bird special) for the super fan package. So, after spending thousands of dollars on HD equipment it seems very petty. But it's the principle of the matter: these HD games came with ST last season, HD is still an emerging technology (we're still considered early adopters believe it or not), blackout rules still apply to HD feeds, and most importantly, not ALL games will be available in HD for 2005 (they will post the "select" games by thursday). Just another instance in which the consumer loses out b/c of the lack of competition in this area.
burgh fan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 08:44 AM   #12 (Print)
serumgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgh fan
Actually it's only another $90 or $100 (depending on early bird special) for the super fan package. So, after spending thousands of dollars on HD equipment it seems very petty. But it's the principle of the matter: these HD games came with ST last season, HD is still an emerging technology (we're still considered early adopters believe it or not), blackout rules still apply to HD feeds, and most importantly, not ALL games will be available in HD for 2005 (they will post the "select" games by thursday). Just another instance in which the consumer loses out b/c of the lack of competition in this area.

I think this is the best way to look at it. I was on the edge of cancelling Sunday Ticket because I get all of the Lions games on local channels, but this just pushes it over the edge.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #13 (Print)
NotATameLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemoe
I've never had ST but was that much closer to it when I got my HR10-250 this year.

Not now!

ditto
NotATameLion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #14 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

if all the games were in HD, I could understand...

either way, I have no choice...I love football and I can't watch a game in SD anymore...

Old 05-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #15 (Print)
DEP78

Not too happy about it but I'll probably end up paying the extra $90.

The feature about watching a full game in 30 minutes starting at midnight after the Sunday games might be interesting.

How will the HR10-250 function with the Game Mix feature? Will it be able to use this at all?
DEP78 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #16 (Print)
thepackfan

Between the extra money, and my biggest peave If on a Local broadcast then not on ST,I think I'm gonna cancel

2 ReplayTV Showstoppers (60&122 Hours)
Samsung HLP5063
thepackfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 11:28 AM   #17 (Print)
minorthr
O and A Party Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEP78
Not too happy about it but I'll probably end up paying the extra $90.

The feature about watching a full game in 30 minutes starting at midnight after the Sunday games might be interesting.

How will the HR10-250 function with the Game Mix feature? Will it be able to use this at all?

Well if its the same as the other mix channels youll see all the games and if you change audio to a SAP you may here the audio from the different games.

I think the way its suppossed to work with the interactive receivers is when you highlight it the audio switches and if you select it I guess it flips to that channel.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #18 (Print)
tanasi

I canceled NFLST today. I only subscibed last year because of the HD offerings. 318 bucks is too much for me. About half of the HD games I was interested in aired locally in HD anyway and most of the Titans games were SD. I've been gradually dropping other programming packages too. I'm down to just the HD pack, total choice plus, HBO, DVR and the protection plan because of this unreliable HDTIVO. Once Deadwood finishes, HBO is gone also.

If the present trends continue, OTA may be my only service.

Last edited by tanasi : 05-13-2005 at 12:51 PM. Reason: gross spelling errors!
tanasi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #19 (Print)
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Send a message via AIM to tfederov
I did it. I'm weak. Go Lions. This is their year.

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250
tfederov is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 01:37 PM   #20 (Print)
lionsfan

tfederov, i with you only way to get the Lions here in vegas is with sunday ticket and i will not let over $4,000 worth of HD equipment go to waste for a lousy $100 +/- extra.
lionsfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #21 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfederov
I did it. I'm weak. Go Lions. This is their year.

you mean as long as all their WRs can stay on the field and their QB finally figures it out...

other than that...right?

well, and maybe getting a defense

Old 05-13-2005, 01:40 PM   #22 (Print)
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Send a message via AIM to tfederov
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan
tfederov, i with you only way to get the Lions here in vegas is with sunday ticket and i will not let over $4,000 worth of HD equipment go to waste for a lousy $100 +/- extra.

The things I do to try to actually witness a Lions winning season.

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250
tfederov is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #23 (Print)
lionsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfederov
The things I do to try to actually witness a Lions winning season.

Heck i still have season tickets in my name
lionsfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #24 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgh fan
Try getting us hooked first, then screw us over next season.

That's basically what they've done isn't it? HD last year was just part of the deal, now this where you pay more for it.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #25 (Print)
serumgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
you mean as long as all their WRs can stay on the field and their QB finally figures it out...

other than that...right?

well, and maybe getting a defense

DC area...Redskins fan? You're DEFINITELY someone who should be ripping on a team's QB and WR.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #26 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serumgard
DC area...Redskins fan? You're DEFINITELY someone who should be ripping on a team's QB and WR.

I didn't predict the Skins were going to do well, did I?

I'm just bitter because I had high hope for the Lions last year (fantasy football)...damn that collarbone

Old 05-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #27 (Print)
HitDoctorMD

I am a Redskin fan and an NFL NUT CASE!!! ST subscriber since '99. Saw these prices,called D* and said WTF. But another feature in this superfan thing Angje read off to me.........Watch 8 games at the same time on one screen!!!! MY friends, THAT ALONE IS WORTH THE EXTRA $100.00!!!!!!
HitDoctorMD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #28 (Print)
serumgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitDoctorMD
I am a Redskin fan and an NFL NUT CASE!!! ST subscriber since '99. Saw these prices,called D* and said WTF. But another feature in this superfan thing Angje read off to me.........Watch 8 games at the same time on one screen!!!! MY friends, THAT ALONE IS WORTH THE EXTRA $100.00!!!!!!

I admit, that would be cool. But I'd always be looking for something else. Like, can I highlight the game I want to see and have the receiver automatically switch to that channel? And how often are 8 games on at one time?

I really am a glass is half empty kind of guy.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #29 (Print)
Cabinwood
Cabin Dweller

Send a message via AIM to Cabinwood Send a message via MSN to Cabinwood Send a message via Yahoo to Cabinwood
Definitely going to cancel ST now. There were too many blackout games anyway last year. This pushes it over the edge...

FitDay Journal
Yahoo 360
Cabinwood is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #30 (Print)
botcher

Directv has gone too far! (Sunday Ticket HD Option)

I just noticed this also. It appears that the "extras" we saw last season, such as games in HD, enchanced channels, and others, will now be part of the "upgrade" package! On top of that the increase of another $20 in the base price.

I'm done with Sunday Ticket!!!!!!!!!!! If it wasn't for TIVO, I'd be back to cable in a heartbeat.....

And this is the reward that us early adopter HD'ers are being dealt. Maybe it is time to let the Directv executives know how we feel.

One other thought - since the FCC has mandated that all stations (OTA) must be digital by a certain date, how does this play for cable and satellite providers? Are they under similar timelines?

Why should be be paying extra to see the same content in HD when we already pay for the standard version? Shouldn't the FCC look into this practice? I have no problem with a business model which charges for extra content, such as some of the HD-only channels, but to double-charge for the same content, come on!!!

Us long time Sunday Ticket (&HD) subs should voice our opinions this season with our wallets and boycott Sunday Ticket. If Directv realizes how many former subscribers of ST cancel their early renewal, maybe they will change their marketing strategy before the first kickoff of the season, as I think ST billing starts in July IIRC.
botcher is offline Report Bad Post Report Post