TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #1 (Print)
CrazyFred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 80
May 16th - 6.2 Upgrade will start

May 16th is the day and still on according to the Directv folks I know.

Do not waste your time forcing a call before then as it will not happen.
CrazyFred is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 PM   #2 (Print)
racer42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1
Um, not true. I got it Wednesday night.

I haven't been following developments on Tivo for quite a while so I didn't know anything about the update.

I don't plug in my phone line until the guide data disappears about every 120 days or so. I saw the 'pending reboot' notice on the call screen and when it came back up it had the new updates.

I came here to find out what's new.

I can tell you this: it's FAST. I used to have a 2 second delay getting into 'now playing'. Now its about 1/10 of a second. Paging down the list is instant also.

It populates the guide quicker too.

Happy Tivo!
racer42 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #3 (Print)
Apok
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFred
May 16th is the day and still on according to the Directv folks I know.

Do not waste your time forcing a call before then as it will not happen.



And you couldn't have just replied to one of the other threads about may 16th supposedly being the day because..?

__________________
* RCA DVR40 35 Hours

Google is your friend. Learn to use it wisely.
Apok is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 08:42 AM   #4 (Print)
jimpilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apok
And you couldn't have just replied to one of the other threads about may 16th supposedly being the day because..?


The board police are alive and well.


New posts are fun, even if on the same subject. I hate seeing 4 or 5 pages. Rather read several short posts.
jimpilot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 08:46 AM   #5 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpilot
The board police are alive and well.


New posts are fun, even if on the same subject. I hate seeing 4 or 5 pages. Rather read several short posts.


Yea I dont like 4 or 5 pages either but when the title of some of the other posts already state when was stated in this post there was no point.
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 09:18 AM   #6 (Print)
jimpilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 42
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtar
Yea I dont like 4 or 5 pages either but when the title of some of the other posts already state when was stated in this post there was no point.


Sure there was a point. it was new to him and I come here to read for fun. I don't mind if I read a few different threads that are almost the same.

I just hate to see new guys make a post and get flamed and then they never come back. When I was new I made mistakes (bet you did too). Let's welcome him rather than flaming him.
jimpilot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 09:20 AM   #7 (Print)
jimpilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFred
May 16th is the day and still on according to the Directv folks I know.

Do not waste your time forcing a call before then as it will not happen.


Bet there will be an overwelming number of calls come Monday
jimpilot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #8 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpilot
When I was new I made mistakes (bet you did too). Let's welcome him rather than flaming him.


Yea I did but I also learned to search before you ask. He is welcome in the forum and I hope he comes back but he should try to find his answer first before asking so everyone else who did search can tell him the answer.
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #9 (Print)
dtremain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtar
Yea I did but I also learned to search before you ask. He is welcome in the forum and I hope he comes back but he should try to find his answer first before asking so everyone else who did search can tell him the answer.
Lighten up, and note that CrazyFred, who has been an active participant in the threads on this issue, said that May 16 is still on as the date, therefore making an affirming point of what he already knew was being discussed.

What, in fact, did your response add?
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #10 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...
 
ebonovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tinley Park, IL USA (SW ChicagoBurbs)
Posts: 8,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer42
I haven't been following developments on Tivo for quite a while so I didn't know anything about the update.

I don't plug in my phone line until the guide data disappears about every 120 days or so. I saw the 'pending reboot' notice on the call screen and when it came back up it had the new updates.

I came here to find out what's new.

I can tell you this: it's FAST. I used to have a 2 second delay getting into 'now playing'. Now its about 1/10 of a second. Paging down the list is instant also.

It populates the guide quicker too.

Happy Tivo!



And where are you at? It is possible that you fell into one of the testing locations that have had the software update for almost 2 full months now...

__________________
- Earl (XBL: Fontano)
Favorite 05/06 TV Lines: Karma! ; Suit Up! ; Legendary.....

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 01:12 AM   #11 (Print)
stim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer42
I don't plug in my phone line until the guide data disappears about every 120 days or so.


Just so you know, the guide data comes via satellite...
stim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 04:29 AM   #12 (Print)
markbox
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13
Right now I've got:

"Acquiring DVR Service Information...
95% done, 2 min remaining; press SELECT for info"

on my DirecTivo screen.

Could this be the 6.2 download? We shall see
markbox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 04:47 AM   #13 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Posts: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbox
Right now I've got:

"Acquiring DVR Service Information...
95% done, 2 min remaining; press SELECT for info"

on my DirecTivo screen.

Could this be the 6.2 download? We shall see
Nope. Just the nightly service download. 6.2 has been sitting on your hard drive for quite some time now waiting to be activated.

__________________
Be vewy vewy quiet. I am squirrel hunting.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 04:56 AM   #14 (Print)
markbox
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13
thanks for the info. guess I've never noticed this operation in progress before. Thought maybe it was something more significant than that. ahh well.

If 6.2 is hiding on my hard drive already I have one question... Which hard drive is it hiding on? I've got 3 hardisks I swap in and out on a regular basis: a full disk of saved programs, a new primary disk for Monday-Friday and a 3rd disk I use to record soccer on Saturdays and Sundays. Is there a way for me to tell (on any of the system screens) that 6.2 is sitting on the hardisk?

Last edited by markbox : 05-15-2005 at 05:01 AM.
markbox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 09:19 AM   #15 (Print)
me_three
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk
6.2 has been sitting on your hard drive for quite some time now waiting to be activated.


Assuming that they really are fixing bugs that they found in the test, this is probably not the version that will be activated. They would have to push a newer version of the software.
me_three is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 09:38 AM   #16 (Print)
aaronwt
TC Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbox
thanks for the info. guess I've never noticed this operation in progress before. Thought maybe it was something more significant than that. ahh well.

If 6.2 is hiding on my hard drive already I have one question... Which hard drive is it hiding on? I've got 3 hardisks I swap in and out on a regular basis: a full disk of saved programs, a new primary disk for Monday-Friday and a 3rd disk I use to record soccer on Saturdays and Sundays. Is there a way for me to tell (on any of the system screens) that 6.2 is sitting on the hardisk?


Wouldn't it be easier to just set up another DTiVo instead of swapping out harddrives?

__________________
2 HR10-250(64 Hours)
1 HR10-250(30 Hours)
2 DSR704(107 Hours)
My 1080P DLP and sample pics(calibration by ELIAB!)
aaronwt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #17 (Print)
markbox
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13
Depends on your setup. I have a slide mount tray attached to my DirecTiVo and the 3 hardisks are mounted in caddies. All I have to do is put the DirecTiVo into Standby mode, unplug the unit, slide out one drive and slide in another, and plug the DirecTiVo back in. It's a 3 minute process.

The above is a lot easier than buying a 2nd DirecTiVo, running 2 more cables from my dish where I will also have to buy and attach a multiswitch since I already have 4 lines from my dish in use (the other two are attached to my HD receiver). My next DirecTV DVR will probably be one that does HD once the prices come down and there are more HD channels.
markbox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #18 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Posts: 3,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_three
Assuming that they really are fixing bugs that they found in the test, this is probably not the version that will be activated. They would have to push a newer version of the software.
They have not distributed another version as of yet. I assume they are installing the 6.2 that has been sitting there.

__________________
Be vewy vewy quiet. I am squirrel hunting.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #19 (Print)
dtremain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_three
Assuming that they really are fixing bugs that they found in the test, this is probably not the version that will be activated. They would have to push a newer version of the software.
From what I gather, they are going with the version that was downloaded. I'll let other people frantically force their calls tomorrow, and I'll watch what happens, at least until my next scheduled call on the 20th.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 11:16 PM   #20 (Print)
WebbDogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6
Well I stayed up and manually dialled in after midnight. It's now the 16th and no message or new software download. Guess I'll try again tomorrow because it wont dial by itself until the 22nd.

I am in Atlanta and have a SD-DVR40

Last edited by WebbDogg : 05-15-2005 at 11:27 PM.
WebbDogg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-15-2005, 11:36 PM   #21 (Print)
dslunceford
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: No. VA/D.C.
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebbDogg
Well I stayed up and manually dialled in after midnight. It's now the 16th and no message or new software download. Guess I'll try again tomorrow because it wont dial by itself until the 22nd.

I am in Atlanta and have a SD-DVR40


At least I wasn't the only one
dslunceford is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 01:43 AM   #22 (Print)
CrazyFred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 80
You guys are funny. Relax, go to work, come back from work and go to bed. Technically will not happen until later in the day.
CrazyFred is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 01:48 AM   #23 (Print)
lydia
just lydia
 
lydia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 77
I've forced a call every 5 minutes since May 16 hit the International Dateline some 15 hours ago. At exactly 12:00:00 AM local time, my system upgraded to 6.2!

Along with the incredible speed and folders, 6.2 also straightened my teeth and left a warm apple pie on my kitchen counter.

If you're not already forcing calls, sit down in front of your TiVo and get busy. The more times you call, the faster you'll get the upgrade.

Go DirecTV!!!
lydia is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 04:16 AM   #24 (Print)
DVRaholic
HR10-250 Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Yonkers New York
Posts: 297
Must be your area

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia
I've forced a call every 5 minutes since May 16 hit the International Dateline some 15 hours ago. At exactly 12:00:00 AM local time, my system upgraded to 6.2

You must be one of the lucky one's ! Are you in CA ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia
f you're not already forcing calls, sit down in front of your TiVo and get busy. The more times you call, the faster you'll get the upgrade.

Go DirecTV]!!!

I have forced 4 calls now on my Hughes SD-DVR80 and still no update.
(5:00 am ET). I dont think forcing call's after the first will make any difference.

I will try again later tonight, if no good then I will just let it call on wednesday
morning, my next scheduled call

__________________
1-Directv HD HR10-250s
(Upgraded to 52 hrs HD)

2-Cable SA-8300 HD-Dvr's
(Upgraded via Plug-n-Play
External SATA to 70 hrs HD)

Sony KDF-50-WE655 RP LCD
Sony 34-XBR-910
DVRaholic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 04:55 AM   #25 (Print)
mike1977
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Posts: 142
I forced one too and no luck. Once every day is enough.
mike1977 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #26 (Print)
szurlo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 6
Same here. Forced a call at 7:30 AM EDT. No update for me

__________________
Steve Z
HR 212 w/TurboNet
SD DVR 40 upgraded to 120 hours /HMO etc.
szurlo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:07 AM   #27 (Print)
FireMen2003
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 498
My daily call is at 5:30pm today so I will just wait......
FireMen2003 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #28 (Print)
Scot Kight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 28
Darn it. I just forced mine and it didnt upgrade and I am hungry. That warm apple pie would be really nice about now.


Scot Kight is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:00 AM   #29 (Print)
Mikey_C
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
Posts: 78
Question

Does forcing calls every five minutes really make it happen faster?

__________________
Mikey_C
Mikey_C is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:07 AM   #30 (Print)
DVRaholic
HR10-250 Junkie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Yonkers New York
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFred
You guys are funny. Relax, go to work, come back from work and go to bed. Technically will not happen until later in the day.

Thanks Crazyfred, I guess we have to wait till the D* Boys get to work.
They probably come in about noon PDT

__________________
1-Directv HD HR10-250s
(Upgraded to 52 hrs HD)

2-Cable SA-8300 HD-Dvr's
(Upgraded via Plug-n-Play
External SATA to 70 hrs HD)

Sony KDF-50-WE655 RP LCD
Sony 34-XBR-910
DVRaholic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index