Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #31 (Print)
SLOmike

I want my pie...

Dialing in every hour on the hour. No luck yet.

SLOmike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #32 (Print)
sabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydia
I've forced a call every 5 minutes since May 16 hit the International Dateline some 15 hours ago. At exactly 12:00:00 AM local time, my system upgraded to 6.2!

Along with the incredible speed and folders, 6.2 also straightened my teeth and left a warm apple pie on my kitchen counter.

If you're not already forcing calls, sit down in front of your TiVo and get busy. The more times you call, the faster you'll get the upgrade.

Go DirecTV!!!

Do I detect sarcasm?
sabre is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 08:57 AM   #33 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre
Do I detect sarcasm?
What's scary is how many did not detect it.

Lydia, I thought it was pretty funny, and got it right from the beginning.

dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 09:05 AM   #34 (Print)
ddobson

Maybe the teeth straightening and apple pie skills are what delayed the software rollout. If so it was well worth it don't you think? Perhaps they'll raise the price of pay per views or "on demand" movies to $9.99 each but they include a free freshly backed pie with the order.

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
ddobson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 09:08 AM   #35 (Print)
tbb1226
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_C
Does forcing calls every five minutes really make it happen faster?
No.
tbb1226 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #36 (Print)
dbett
Hmm?

Quote:

No. But forcing one every 2 1/2 minutes will.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:05 AM   #37 (Print)
Syznic

** THERE IS NO NEED TO FORCE A CALL! D* SERVICE REPS ARE BEING AUTOMATICALLY DISPATCHED TO INSTALL THE UPGRADE! **

As I was getting ready for work the doorbell rang at approx 7:15am. It was an install rep from DirecTV. He had this new fangled contraption hanging from his belt and pointed to it as if it would explain everything about the upgrade he was going to perform. I nodded to indicate complete understanding (and so as not to appear stupid and uninformed) and let him in to do his job. The thought crossed my mind to question him further, but I had to continue getting ready for work and I was sure he had a busy day a head of him. I see many dishs on rooftops around me and didn't want to be the one to delay my neighbors needlessly. To get to the point, I had to get going so I just told the guy to let himself out and leave through the back when he was done. Woohoo! I'll have 6.2 when I get home! The guy's D* truck looked like a U-Haul so I guess I'm getting new hardware too! I bet that thing was packed to the gills with new D* stuff for all the customers. Man, I'm psyched! My neighbor leaves for work much earlier than I do, but I've got a key to his house. Being a good neighbor, I informed the D* tech about it since I'm sure my neighbor would hate to miss out on the upgrade...his home theatre is so much nicer than my own...he's got HDTivo even! We'll both be celebrating tonite! He gets home before me too, I think I'm just going to keep quiet about it and see how long it takes him to notice the suprise <giggle>.

Last edited by Syznic : 05-16-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Syznic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #38 (Print)
Tumminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syznic
** THERE IS NO NEED TO FORCE A CALL! D* SERVICE REPS ARE BEING AUTOMATICALLY DISPATCHED TO INSTALL THE UPGRADE! **

As I was getting ready for work the doorbell rang at approx 7:15am. It was an install rep from DirecTV. He had this new fangled contraption hanging from his belt and pointed to it as if it would explain everything about the upgrade he was going to perform. I nodded to indicate complete understanding (and so as not to appear stupid and uninformed) and let him in to do his job. The thought crossed my mind to question him further, but I had to continue getting ready for work and I was sure he had a busy day a head of him. I see many dishs on rooftops around me and didn't want to be the one to delay my neighbors needlessly. To get to the point, I had to get going so I just told the guy to let himself out and leave through the back when he was done. Woohoo! I'll have 6.2 when I get home! The guy's D* truck looked like a U-Haul so I guess I'm getting new hardware too! I bet that thing was packed to the gills with new D* stuff for all the customers. Man, I'm psyched! My neighbor leaves for work much earlier than I do, but I've got a key to his house. Being a good neighbor, I informed the D* tech about it since I'm sure my neighbor would hate to miss out on the upgrade...his home theatre is so much nicer than my own...he's got HDTivo even! We'll both be celebrating tonite! He gets home before me too, I think I'm just going to keep quiet about it and see how long it takes him to notice the suprise <giggle>.

The HDtivos do not get the 6.2 upgrade, at this time... Your neighbor will be pissed

Old 05-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #39 (Print)
kkern

Quote:

Please tell me you're kidding!!
kkern is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #40 (Print)
sneagle
Addicted Member

So much for the upgrade is coming from the sateliite

In the meantime, I guess I'll leave my door open with a note for DirecTV!

Quote:

As I was getting ready for work the doorbell rang at approx 7:15am. It was an install rep from DirecTV...

sneagle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #41 (Print)
caseyathompson
Lurking Since 2001

Quote:
I've forced a call every 5 minutes since May 16 hit the International Dateline some 15 hours ago. At exactly 12:00:00 AM local time, my system upgraded to 6.2!

Along with the incredible speed and folders, 6.2 also straightened my teeth and left a warm apple pie on my kitchen counter.

If you're not already forcing calls, sit down in front of your TiVo and get busy. The more times you call, the faster you'll get the upgrade.

Go DirecTV!!!

LOL I love it... will you marry me?
caseyathompson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #42 (Print)
scottwood2

Yea they were at my house too but they could not get it work. They just took my whole home theater system back to the office to work on it some more. I love the personal service. Not sure why they needed the couch, loveseat and dinning room set though?

:>)
scottwood2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #43 (Print)
blhirsch
Tivo-riffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwood2
Yea they were at my house too but they could not get it work. They just took my whole home theater system back to the office to work on it some more. I love the personal service. Not sure why they needed the couch, loveseat and dinning room set though?

:>)

Hmm, I bought your home theater system, couch, and loveseat from the back of a van this afternoon. I'm not sure how this will help me get 6.2, but I'm sure enjoying it.

Thanks!
blhirsch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #44 (Print)
kkern

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhirsch
Hmm, I bought your home theater system, couch, and loveseat from the back of a van this afternoon. I'm not sure how this will help me get 6.2, but I'm sure enjoying it.

Thanks!

LMAO
kkern is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 12:43 PM   #45 (Print)
flakrat

USB Ethernet Card

Howdy,

I know the info is already out there, but I'm having trouble finding a quick answer.

What USB Ethernet card should I get from BestBuy for my series 2 DTivo?

And, will it work (i.e. be able to make the Tivo calls / get an IP via dhcp) with 6.2 without having to hack it?

Thanks,

Mike

TurboNet
TivoWeb, TCS
flakrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #46 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Send a message via ICQ to Okeemike Send a message via Yahoo to Okeemike
Does this upgrade affect the R10? (I think we're at 6.0, right?)

Okeemike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #47 (Print)
flakrat

From what I've read, R10's are at 6.1 and will not get the upgrade. Supposedly, the 6.2 upgrade brings the Series 2's in line with the features in the R10.

On that note, if I were going to buy a new DTivo to replace my SAT-T60, should I try and find a Series 2 (if so, which model) or just get an R10? I'd like to enable HMO so I can share programs with my other series 2.

thx

TurboNet
TivoWeb, TCS
flakrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #48 (Print)
yunlin12
Tivoluted User

Send a message via AIM to yunlin12 Send a message via Yahoo to yunlin12
Quote:

Go DirecTV!!!

If DTV delivers the pie as quickly as they upgrades their Tivo boxes to the state of the art software, I'll not be eating that pie

Old 05-16-2005, 01:03 PM   #49 (Print)
yunlin12
Tivoluted User

Send a message via AIM to yunlin12 Send a message via Yahoo to yunlin12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flakrat
Howdy,

I know the info is already out there, but I'm having trouble finding a quick answer.

What USB Ethernet card should I get from BestBuy for my series 2 DTivo?

And, will it work (i.e. be able to make the Tivo calls / get an IP via dhcp) with 6.2 without having to hack it?

Thanks,

Mike

Get an IP: yes
Call (or any other functions): No

Old 05-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #50 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Not at all. And please do not do it.

The software rollout process works as follows. DirecTV/TiVo have a database of what version of the software is suppose to be installed on each machine by receiver ID (RID). When your machine dials in your machine checks what version it is suppose to be running in the database. If your machine is running a different version than what is in the database it will look at the slices downloaded from the satellites and if it finds a match it will install it. If it can not find a match it will download it over the phone. Each night DirecTV/TiVo randomly choose, by RID, so many machines in the database and change their software version (in this case 6.2). If your machine has been updated in the database on the next call in it will upgrade. Machines are only randomly added once a night.

Typically at first DirecTV/TiVo will only upgrade the database for a small number of machines each night. As they gain confidence in the release they will add a greater number of machines each night. After a while (a month or two) they will have the software in general release and all the machines in the database will be updated and the default version in the database will be the new release.

Since this time they did have a test period in Los Angeles they may have a faster roll out this time around.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #51 (Print)
ddobson

Not to interupt the fun

I have a question for anyone who has 6.2 from the beta test period or who has manually installed it. They say it's theoretically the same as the 6.1 on the R10. I read on a review of the R10 that you could now set season passes to a keep 1-5, and 10. The 10 being a new setting (10 episodes).

Does anyone know if this is true of the 6.2 software or am I remembering wrong on the R10? I think it was ebonic's review of the R10 I read that in. Sorry if I'm wrong Earl.

There are several 1/2 hour sitcoms I watch that the 10 would be a useful setting, especially after I throw a bigger hard drive in, after the upgrade.

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
Old 05-16-2005, 02:45 PM   #52 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Send a message via ICQ to Okeemike Send a message via Yahoo to Okeemike
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddobson
Not to interupt the fun

... or am I remembering wrong on the R10?...

Nope, that's correct.

Okeemike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #53 (Print)
khoelzel

Yeah, tell me that you are kidding about the D* guy being in your house while you aren't there, then giving him your neighbors key to his house and access to all of his HT stuff? Can we all say "SCAM" together now? I hope all of your personal belongings are still in their places when you get home from work dude. I have to ask, would the clue that D* didn't contact you about someone coming by your house to do an "upgrade" be the first thought that crossed your mind? Man, I'd feel terrible about my neighbors stuff being stollen. Good luck dude.

The update is done remotely man, didn't you get the mailer? Didn't anyone tell you? Don't you know?
khoelzel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #54 (Print)
Wilhite
no stinkin' title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoelzel
The update is done remotely man, didn't you get the mailer? Didn't anyone tell you? Don't you know?

sar·casm (sär'kăz'em)
n.
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #55 (Print)
ddobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeemike
Nope, that's correct.

Not trying to keep the thread too serious

But thanks for your reply Mike!!!!

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
Old 05-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #56 (Print)
DVRaholic
HR10-250 Junkie

CrazyFred,

Any information on 6.2

No one has posted yet that they have recieved the update.

Can we still expect to see it today ???

2-Cable SA-8300 HD-Dvr's
(Upgraded via Plug-n-Play
External SATA to 70 hrs HD)

Sony KDF-50-WE655 RP LCD
Sony 34-XBR-910
DVRaholic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #57 (Print)
DVRaholic
HR10-250 Junkie

6.2 is Here!!!!!!!

WOW!! You wont believe this but I just forced a call while i was typing the previous message and I just checked and I got "PENDING RESTART"!!!

Im rebooting now!!!

6.2 is here!!!!!!!

2-Cable SA-8300 HD-Dvr's
(Upgraded via Plug-n-Play
External SATA to 70 hrs HD)

Sony KDF-50-WE655 RP LCD
Sony 34-XBR-910
DVRaholic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 06:18 PM   #58 (Print)
DVRaholic
HR10-250 Junkie

"Installing new software" WOOOHOOO