SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #151 (Print)
slacker9876

Nothing in Colorado yet, Svc # 351-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
slacker9876 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #152 (Print)
luebster

I'm sure I'll get hammered for this, but I just don't understand the point of telling the board where you live and that you didn't get 6.2 yet.

Firstly, as pointed out several times previously in this thread, geography has absolutely nothing to do with the rollout. While it is true that only SoCal boxes got 6.2b (the b is for beta), everybody else is getting 6.2f (final) via a bingo-style ping pong ball hopper. (Ok, that last part is false, but it is totally random.)

Secondly, your posts are not really contributing to anything. What's the point of telling us you didn't get the upgrade yet? I'm just as eager to have 6.2 as anyone else (if for no other reason than I'll be that much closer to seeing a similar upgrade for my HR10-250), but it seems like a waste of time and bandwidth to post about nothing.

How about waiting until you get the upgrade, then write up a compelling review.

*unsubscribing*

I have GMail account invites. PM me to get one.
luebster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #153 (Print)
Mark Griswold
Mmmbeer

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager
I've forced a dozen calls already over the past two days -- I got nothing.

The more times you call the mothership, the further back into the queue you go

HDVR2 (6.2 upgraded to 100 hrs)
Mark Griswold is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #154 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbhoha
I don't keep my phone wire plugged in. What if I was scheduled for an update a few days ago and plugge it in today or tomorrow. Would it update right away if I force a call, or do I have to wait in line until my turn comes around again? Anyone know?
Once your machine has been validated for the update it will activate it on the next call. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...4&&#post2867514

Old 05-19-2005, 01:04 PM   #155 (Print)
Chilli_Dog
HD / Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by luebster
I'm sure I'll get hammered for this, but I just don't understand the point of telling the board where you live and that you didn't get 6.2 yet.

Firstly, as pointed out several times previously in this thread, geography has absolutely nothing to do with the rollout...

I think in the beginning it did serve a purpose -- if nothing else, it proved that the updates were being distributed throughout the U.S. But at this point, I agree -- it's obvious that it's totally random, so saying "I did / did not get the upgrade and I live here" is pretty pointless.

But hey, we're a community. That's what people do -- talk about stuff, even if it's meaningless sometimes...
Chilli_Dog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 01:10 PM   #156 (Print)
easy-e

You gotta love flamers. Does it make you feel good to blast somebody just for the sake of making yourself feel important?

BTW, if these posts are pointless, then why do you feel you need to read them?

easy-e is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #157 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnbhoha
I don't keep my phone wire plugged in. What if I was scheduled for an update a few days ago and plugge it in today or tomorrow. Would it update right away if I force a call, or do I have to wait in line until my turn comes around again? Anyone know?
Once you're in , you're in. It wouild be there for you anytime after your number comes up. Afer all, if you don't force a call, the call only happens aobut once every 8 days.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #158 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:

Firstly, as pointed out several times previously in this thread, geography has absolutely nothing to do with the rollout. While it is true that only SoCal boxes got 6.2b (the b is for beta), everybody else is getting 6.2f (final) via a bingo-style ping pong ball hopper. (Ok, that last part is false, but it is totally random.)

Secondly, your posts are not really contributing to anything. What's the point of telling us you didn't get the upgrade yet? I'm just as eager to have 6.2 as anyone else (if for no other reason than I'll be that much closer to seeing a similar upgrade for my HR10-250), but it seems like a waste of time and bandwidth to post about nothing.

How about waiting until you get the upgrade, then write up a compelling review.

*unsubscribing*
You just say that because you don't live in a green house! Everybody knows that they go by house color!!!

This stuff is important!!!

Or...maybe it's just fun and idly passes the time? This aint exactly brain surgery you know.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 02:14 PM   #159 (Print)
ScubaCat3

I live in Norcross, GA, just outside Atlanta. (The runaway bride billboard is just up the street from my house.) I got 6.2 on Monday. It's significantly faster and more efficient, so anyone who downplays that fact is just nuts.
ScubaCat3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #160 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
While it is true that only SoCal boxes got 6.2b (the b is for beta), everybody else is getting 6.2f (final) via a bingo-style ping pong ball hopper.
There is no 6.2b or 6.2f. There is only version 6.2. The version people got the SoCal is the same version everyone is getting.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #161 (Print)
michaelp95

I've been calling for days now on both my units and nothing...this is kinda like a kid at Christmas time, you know your going to get something, but your not sure what it is, its wrapped up really well and you just cant get the paper off to see whats inside....sigh
michaelp95 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #162 (Print)
timmy1376

Got it here in Manhattan KS. Forgot to check and the wife says it looks a little funny, but it seems faster. Didn't reboot or anything.
timmy1376 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #163 (Print)
luebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk
There is no 6.2b or 6.2f. There is only version 6.2. The version people got the SoCal is the same version everyone is getting.

Eh, my point was that the only reason people in southern California were getting 6.2 and not anyone else was that it was a beta test.

Now that it's rolling out to the masses, people still seem fixated on geography being the determining factor of when they will receive the update, when in fact, you (I believe, without looking it up) and others have stated factually that units are randomly selected using the service ID number.

It seems pointless to me to say, "I'm in Portland and I ain't got it."

If someone posted, "My service number is xxx-xxx-xxx (or whatever) and I ain't got it. Must not have been in last night's batch of 100K," then I would understand.

Am I going overboard? Probably. But at least I got a rise out of a few people.

*resubscribing*

Old 05-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #164 (Print)
ddobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1376
Got it here in Manhattan KS. Forgot to check and the wife says it looks a little funny, but it seems faster. Didn't reboot or anything.

When you get the upgrade ok (after a call), if you don't reboot it manually the unit will reboot itself automatically in the middle of the night, I read somewhere 2am, but I'm not certain of that. For people who don't do mess with their Tivo's like most of here do, the upgrade is hands off and automated, therefore the unit will reboot automatically if not manually told to do so.

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
ddobson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 11:56 PM   #165 (Print)
sda3
TiVo Fanatic

Pointless

I think it is pointless to keep posting about it being pointless. In fact, this post is pointless and acording to your standards it seems that just about every post on here is pointless. Why do we post then? It is all pointless, in fact, why did you join the "community" if it is all pointless to you?
sda3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 12:17 AM   #166 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda3
I think it is pointless to keep posting about it being pointless. In fact, this post is pointless and acording to your standards it seems that just about every post on here is pointless. Why do we post then? It is all pointless, in fact, why did you join the "community" if it is all pointless to you?
I'm sorry but what was your point?

Old 05-20-2005, 12:50 AM   #167 (Print)
biker
Outlaw

6.2 came yesterday.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:36 AM   #168 (Print)
BBoz

Quote:
Am I going overboard? Probably. But at least I got a rise out of a few people.

*resubscribing*

Is that the standard for contributing here now? As long as you get a rise out of someone, at leasted you contributed something.

People are excited about getting it. Interested in it. Interested in how fast it's distributing. Interested in where people are getting it. Is there any real logic.... Who knows, but it's conversation that passes the time and interests many.

You just came across as bitter. Maybe D*Tv will punish you and put you in the last group for being mean.

/suggest re-unsubscribing

P.S. I am in Phoenix, Arizona and one of my boxes got it tonight , but the other didn't.
BBoz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 04:05 AM   #169 (Print)
Tekneek

I've been interested in getting it since January. The speed improvements are awesome, but the months of anticipation were not really justified by the changes brought. I'm not blaming anyone for the hype, it was my own fault.
Tekneek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 06:54 AM   #170 (Print)
aaronwt
TC Special Member

My second unit got it yesterday. Unfortunately, I don't use my DTiVos very much any more. Mostly, they record lifetime movies for my girlfriend. And I will use it for a few cable shows. The speed is very noticebale. I just hope they come out with the upgrade for the HD-TiVo this Summer since I use those boxes the majority of the time.

My 1080P DLP and sample pics(calibration by ELIAB!)
aaronwt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 06:54 AM   #171 (Print)
FireMen2003

My next call wasn't scheduled until next Friday or so, so I just forced a call and I have 6.2 butI think my system might be hosed. It been stuck on the blue Directv screen with the processing upgrade etc etc for about 10 minutes now...something doesn't seem right .

edit: Done. Yeesh, 20 minutes for the upgrade to finish. Much longer than UTV. Everythin is working now. Easier to find all my L&O esipodes (I have 23 of them now )

Last edited by FireMen2003 : 05-20-2005 at 07:12 AM.
FireMen2003 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 07:11 AM   #172 (Print)
jimpilot

Man I must have pissed off the D* gods. Nothing again today!

Last edited by jimpilot : 05-20-2005 at 07:12 AM. Reason: typo
jimpilot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 07:31 AM   #173 (Print)
luebster

I'm sorry I seem to have irritated some of you. That was certainly not my intention. I was only trying to explain that upgraded units were chosen randomly, not geographically, but I went too far.

Please accept my apology.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #174 (Print)
Scot Kight

Anyone know when the update is being pushed out (IE the satellite rollout schedule)?

Mine was updating last night but a recording started and I think it killed the update. If thats the case I want to clear some recordings for the next update period.
Scot Kight is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #175 (Print)
Chilli_Dog
HD / Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda3

Damn, there's a lot of venom here...

I assume you were responding to my previous post since you referenced the term "community". What I was trying to say was that I got luebster's point. I then offered another perspective on it (trying to put a more positive spin about WHY people were posting about this - at least in the beginning). Finally, I said "Hey, we all hang out here. That's what we do." , ending the sentence with a big . Apparently, some of you misunderstood this. Since then, the flames have been flying.

Luebster, I don't think you were out of line. I think you were making a valid point -- one that has been made by others in other threads (who were not fried at the stake for it).

Everyone else who got all up tight about it -- let's put things in perspective. It's a software upgrade -- and a minor one at that. Does it improve the user experience? Absolutely! I, like many others, are currently enjoying faster menus, folders, and sorting options (without resorting to a hidden remote key combination). But in the grand scheme of things it's fairly minor. And, with a little patience, you will get it too. Just chill...

And for anyone who misunderstood my original post, let me make the point one more time -- we are a community (borrowing the term from the name of this web site). People in a community chit-chat, shoot the sh*t, talk about things important, and talk about things that don't mean all that much. And, everyone has their opinion, which they are certainly entitled to. That is what we do.

With that, I say "peace", have fun, and I hope you get your upgrades soon.

Putting heavy-duty flame suit back on...

Last edited by Chilli_Dog : 05-20-2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:06 AM   #176 (Print)
Chilli_Dog
HD / Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kight
Anyone know when the update is being pushed out (IE the satellite rollout schedule)?

Mine was updating last night but a recording started and I think it killed the update. If thats the case I want to clear some recordings for the next update period.

Scot, the update should already be on your hard drive. Assuming you've had your receiver for a while, it downloaded a few months ago. When the Tivo phone call is made, a check is made against a list to determine if you need an update. If so, the update will kick off with the next restart.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #177 (Print)
chrishicks
video addict

I just made a call and one of my tivos is upgrading right now. so far I'm 4 minutes in. as long as everything goes ok I'll be able to do some comparisons between the 2.

this happened in Ecorse, MI by the way.

EDIT: rebooted at 9:05 and was completely finished with the upgrade at 9:27. not to shabby. I'm re-entering my channels right now.

Last edited by chrishicks : 05-20-2005 at 08:29 AM.
chrishicks is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 08:46 AM   #178 (Print)
allan
Resident modern nut

I got mine last night. It seems MUCH faster. I have mixed feelings about the folders. My only gripe is the loss of the Sort by Expiration.

BEEP
allan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 08:49 AM   #179 (Print)
chrishicks
video addict

ok, one question, how long before I can get back into my season passes? I want to change/delete a few but I can't get to them. I keep getting that "no-no" bong.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:52 AM   #180 (Print)
allan
Resident modern nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks
ok, one question, how long before I can get back into my season passes? I want to change/delete a few but I can't get to them. I keep getting that "no-no" bong.

When I first tried to get into the "Pick Programs to Record" section, there was a black bar that said it would be unavailable for 30 minutes. It's working fine this morning.

BEEP
allan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post