THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2005, 09:53 PM   #31 (Print)
5thcrewman
Wavy Goth Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunrose
Did I imagine this, or did Walt's father just shout out a quote from Star Wars. He was with Jin on the raft and he yelled something like "No, this one goes there ... THAT one goes there." I thought this sounded like the exact quote from Star Wars when Han and Chewie woere working on the Millenium Falcon. Am I right? Or do I just have Star Wars on the brain due to tonight's release?

Nobody said, "I've got a bad feeling about this?"

Last edited by 5thcrewman : 05-18-2005 at 10:11 PM.
5thcrewman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #32 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

I have previously hypothesized that the "monster" was a defense system. Not a living creature at all but a "weapon" of some sort.

Danielle called the monster a "defense" system. Someone asked her, "what is it defending" (I forget who asked). She replied "The Island".

Of course, this still doesn't answer the question is it biological or mechanical?

Is it a man-made contrivance protecting "the island" in the sense that something top-secret is going on there?

Or, is it a "supernatural monster" conjured up by the "supernatural island" to protect itself?

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 10:23 PM   #33 (Print)
Ladd Morse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD
The Black Rock

Dude, I didn't see that coming!

Perfect -- absolutely perfect!

Last edited by Ladd Morse : 05-18-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Ladd Morse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 10:31 PM   #34 (Print)
gschrock

Quote:
black smoke signifies that the Others are coming (how polite)

Apparently they have to go through an election process to elect a new leader of the others. So you really need to watch for the white smoke just before they come.

Quote:
So how old would that ship be? 1600-1700's??

I'm not sure it'd be real easy to guess the age of the ship. After all, there are still some ships of that style that sail today. I'd also question whether a wooden ship could survive for a couple hundred years in the middle of a rainforest. (Although they could be conveniently ignoring that). I'm not absolutely convinced it's not Danielle's ship (although she did say they had 6 people on board, and that ship wasn't sailable by 6 people).

Also, for the speculation on a slave ship, I'm not sure I buy that either. I don't believe the pacific ocean was really much of a slave route. In general, they were going from africa trying to cross to the gulf of mexico area as quickly as possible.

Gotta say though, I definitely didn't expect the black rock to be a ship.

gschrock is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 10:53 PM   #35 (Print)
sfenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_R90210

A couple things bugging me and intruiging me after tonight's show:

1. Anyone else notice Walt was watching Power Rangers at the hotel? I thought that show was long gone for years now, anyone else find this significant?

2. Why was Artz being so rude to Hurley? he definently seemed to have a chip on his shoulder with Hurley and he was acting erratic such as when he all the sudden wanted to turn around and leave the quest. I just thought all of this was odd and didn't see it as comic relief. Anyone else think this?

It was five o'clock in the morning - you might be surprised at what crap shows are on at that time. Anyways, the Power Rangers franchise seems to be indestructible. There always seems to be some version of it on.

Artz was being testy because Hurley kept mispronouncing his name. And he doesn't like being called Leslie. It is a bit disconcerting that (from our perspective) he just appeared last episode but all the other characters act like he has been around the whole time.

I know that there are 40 survivors and we only regularly see about 12 of them. We got to see a lot of the background survivors this episode. I wonder what is it like for those actors. Do they get paid to hang out in Hawaii so they can have their 2 seconds of screen time each week?
sfenton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 11:11 PM   #36 (Print)
Keith_R90210

Quote:
I'm not sure it'd be real easy to guess the age of the ship. After all, there are still some ships of that style that sail today. I'd also question whether a wooden ship could survive for a couple hundred years in the middle of a rainforest. (Although they could be conveniently ignoring that). I'm not absolutely convinced it's not Danielle's ship (although she did say they had 6 people on board, and that ship wasn't sailable by 6 people).

Also, for the speculation on a slave ship, I'm not sure I buy that either. I don't believe the pacific ocean was really much of a slave route. In general, they were going from africa trying to cross to the gulf of mexico area as quickly as possible.

That ship looked pretty old to me. I won't discount that it could be newer but if it was Danielle's ship, wouldn't she have said that instead of labeling it the black rock?

I suppose a possible clue here is that they had to go there to get dynamite. I think this could be significant because it may represent that the ship is older and from a time period when they may have used dynamite moreso than conventional weapons like grenades. The problem with this is that if the ship is old it would seem to me that it may would have detoriated a lot more than it appeared to have there.

I don't forsee it being a slave ship either because IIRC the slave trade wouldn't have extended so far into the pacific.

Quote:
Danielle called the monster a "defense" system. Someone asked her, "what is it defending" (I forget who asked). She replied "The Island".

Of course, this still doesn't answer the question is it biological or mechanical?

Is it a man-made contrivance protecting "the island" in the sense that something top-secret is going on there?

Or, is it a "supernatural monster" conjured up by the "supernatural island" to protect itself?

I've always suspected that the "monster" is a defense system as well. I can't judge without seeing it but it really sounds mechanical to me as though it is a machine created by someone to protect themselves. Assuming that the monster is mechanical, this leads me to suspect one of 3 things:

1. The Monster was created by the "Others" who obviously don't like other people in their territory.

2. it was created by Danielle to protect her from the 'Others'.

3. it hints toward a secret government project (god I hate this theory )

Quote:
Artz was being testy because Hurley kept mispronouncing his name. And he doesn't like being called Leslie. It is a bit disconcerting that (from our perspective) he just appeared last episode but all the other characters act like he has been around the whole time.

I understand the bit about the name but to me it just seemed as though he was being a little over-the-top about it. I don't feel like this is typical Hurley comic relief either because Artz was just so over-the-top about it.

-Keith-
Keith_R90210 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 11:14 PM   #37 (Print)
thatmeowgirl

Quote:
Fanfreakingtastic! it is all coming together nicely.
They definently hinted a lot toward the discovery of another island possibly with more survivors, I think the flashback with Jack and the other lady at the airport bar was a pretty big hint to this.

How do you figure this? I just saw it as a way to make it obvious she was scared of flying, and for good reason since she got ripped off the plane, seated in the back.

Just curious, did I miss something?
thatmeowgirl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 11:20 PM   #38 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Supernatural or supertechnological? Hmmm...

It would have to be one outrageous piece of technology to account for all the strangeness we've seen. The writers are going to have to bring in either aliens or Atlantis to explain it. (You know, the LOST continent of Atlantis? )
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 11:24 PM   #39 (Print)
5thcrewman
Wavy Goth Survivor

5:23 in the morning...

23c 42f seat assignments

Who thought 'Miguelito Lovelace' when they saw the black smoke???

Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 PM   #40 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

And by the way, that monster is a pretty inefficient defense system. They've been on the island for weeks and it's only managed to kill one of them.

And Locke stared straight into its eye, remember? All he said was that it was beautiful. He still knows more than he's telling. Note that he was the only one (besides Hurley) who didn't run.

I'm so confused.
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #41 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

I had actually speculated months ago that "Black Rock" was the name of a ship. OK, I had guessed that it was the name of Danielle's ship, but I was at least on the right track. My wife was wondering why I was yelling "Yes!" when they showed it.

And we know Sawyer's real name!

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #42 (Print)
5thcrewman
Wavy Goth Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Great episode!

For some weird reason, the more I watch Lost, the more I want to go back and replay Myst and Riven.

More like Everquest II ?

http://eq2.ogaming.com/db/quests/AStrangeBlackRock.php

Database::Quests::A Strange Black Rock

Recommended Level: 25
Quest Rating Heritage Quest: Yes
Status Points: 42,000
Money & Items: Amazing (10+)
Experience: Very Good (8)
Repeatable No
Starting Zone Antonica

Starting NPC Scholar Al'Quylar

Rewarded Item Glowing Black Stone

Other Related Item Palladium Torque

blah...blah...blah

Old 05-19-2005, 12:21 AM   #43 (Print)
borther

I suspect that the raft group will be at sea through the first few episodes of next season. Should be a good distraction for the writers. They pretty much seem to be traveling a straight line. Sunburned and thirsty they spot land in the distance. As they approach the land their joy is turned to sorrow as they spot their little beach......
And become horrified when spotting Hurley sunbathing in the nude.......well, maybe not that.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:26 AM   #44 (Print)
bro1ncos

If the defense system is mechanical how do you account for it being taken down by a couple shots from Sawyer's gun in the early episode?

Old 05-19-2005, 12:32 AM   #45 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003
Puh - Leaze....with the fanatics in the forum, for this show, it was a bit shocking.

You'd think people could at least be thorough titling the thread properly if they're going to post it before the show even airs.

dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 12:55 AM   #46 (Print)
forecheck

Quote:
1. Anyone else notice Walt was watching Power Rangers at the hotel? I thought that show was long gone for years now, anyone else find this significant?

Still running strong daily on ABC Family and on Saturdays on ABC.
forecheck is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 12:56 AM   #47 (Print)
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

- She called it a security system not a defense system.

Frenchie: Were safe now.
Kate: What was that thing?
Frenchie: Its a security system.
Jacktheprick: Security system?!?....what does that mean?
Frenchie: What is the purpose that of any security systems?.......To protect something.
Kate: To protect what?
Frenchie: The island.

- We finally have confirmation Alex is a girl. (french lady's kid)

- Found out Sawyers real name. James Fall. Not too sure about the last name cuz of the Aussie Det. accent.

- You can still catch Power Rangers on tv.

- When Dr. Arzt (sp?) was running back to them, before they actually showed him I thought it was monkeys or apes cuz of the sounds he was making.

- Hurley: Dude, .... I thought you were dead. LMAO. I love Hurley.

- New character (possibly for next season) Michelle Rodriquez (fast&furious, swat, punk'd) as Anna Lucia. Don't know where they are going with that but it kinda gives a little weight to the 2nd half of the plane surviving theory.

- On the beach we saw ALOT of the survivors that hang in the background. If anyone has the first couple of eps of this season can you compare and see if any of the ppl match up. Just wondering if they are using the same extras. I remember once seeing a big black guy (think Det. Balcwin from NYPDBlue) but didn't see anyone close to him last night.

- PLEASE KILL JACK's CHARACTER. PLEEEEASE!!

- Does Michael understand Korean now?

Now about those previews:

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)

- Charlie pulls a Mike Tyson on Sayid.

- Jack is a condecending prick.

- Claire yells SHE took my baby.

- Something drags Locke thru the forest.

pleasekilljackpleasekilljackpleasekilljackpleasekilljackplea sekilljackpleasekilljackpleasekilljack

2 R10's - cuz the R15 is SofaKing bad
Snappa77 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 01:21 AM   #48 (Print)
JMikeD
Professional Skeptic

Quote:
That ship looked pretty old to me. I won't discount that it could be newer but if it was Danielle's ship, wouldn't she have said that instead of labeling it the black rock?

The ship could be fairly new. It got lost while being filmed during Pirates of the Carriibean, of course.

The Others are no doubt the actors from the ship, who have frequently been seen as disreputable characters and not allowed in decent hotels and such. No wonder they are easily annoyed, being made to live in the jungle.
JMikeD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 02:05 AM   #49 (Print)
GadgetFreak

The Marshal says that Kate killed someone during the bank robbery. I don't remember that -- did we see that?

EDIT: I just watched it again and he actually said she put a bullet in him. I do remember her shooting him. She didn't kill him though, correct?

EDIT 2: Good timing, Game Guru!

Last edited by GadgetFreak : 05-19-2005 at 02:16 AM.
GadgetFreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 02:15 AM   #50 (Print)
GameGuru

Did the marshal say "killed" or just "put a bullet in him?"
GameGuru is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 02:54 AM   #51 (Print)
Jeeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro1ncos
If the defense system is mechanical how do you account for it being taken down by a couple shots from Sawyer's gun in the early episode?
Huh? Sawyer shot the polar bear, not the monster.
Jeeters is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 02:58 AM   #52 (Print)
Jeeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGuru
Did the marshal say "killed" or just "put a bullet in him?"
"She seduces some idiot to rob the damn bank and then she puts a bullet in her new friend because she's done using him."
Jeeters is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 04:56 AM   #53 (Print)
TiVo Bum
Pure Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman
As I was closed-captioning Jin and Sun's goodbye scene (not that there was much to caption), all I could think about was how Sun's fingernails looked surprisingly good for someone who's been on an island for months without easy access to the services of a manicurist.
Warning: Obligatory "Stereotype" Post Meant to Drive Some People Crazy!!

Dude, she's Korean. She probably is a manicurist.
TiVo Bum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 AM   #54 (Print)
TiVo Bum
Pure Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thcrewman
More like Everquest II ?
http://eq2.ogaming.com/db/quests/AStrangeBlackRock.php

Database::Quests::A Strange Black Rock
LOL! Just finished doing that quest two days ago. Never expected to see it referred to in a "Lost" thread.
TiVo Bum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 05:41 AM   #55 (Print)
scubagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmeowgirl
How do you figure this? I just saw it as a way to make it obvious she was scared of flying, and for good reason since she got ripped off the plane, seated in the back.

Just curious, did I miss something?

Yeah- I finally watched not so late after original air I can join back in discussion

Well, I think they are definetly bringing some new characters into focus, if I remember correctly- that was Michelle Rodriguez from Fight Girl right? Not that she is a big name, but bigger then a 30 second cameo I would assume... so I wouldn't be surprised if she turns up somewhere next week or next season.

Way to much detail given about her to have that be it in my opinion, but I guess time will tell!

Since this might be a spoiler, it was a 'highlight' I read in people or something....

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Since I read that another big character dies next week, I think it is obvious they are introducing new characters for next season, Anna Lucia might be one of them. But who dies!?!??!?!
scubagal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 06:23 AM   #56 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Best. Show. On. TV.

Finally the raft is afloat. I think with the introduction of Anna Lucia, the radio call to Boone, and Rose's (the black lady) belief that her husband is still alive, I'm guessing we are heading to a discovery of more survivors. And more back stories.

Bummer that Hurley didn't notice the numbers on the hatch.

Definitely said "security system" not "defense system". What the heck is it? And how can something that sounds like that be so "beautiful".

The Others took the french lady's baby after one week. Watch out Claire.

The raft is now equipped with RADAR! I think a writer from 24 snuck into the studio.

That smoke was spooky.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:23 AM   #57 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice
And by the way, that monster is a pretty inefficient defense system. They've been on the island for weeks and it's only managed to kill one of them.

It depends on exactly what it's defending. If the Lost folk don't pose any problem to the island as long as they stick to the beach and caves, or if they haven't done anything to piss the island off, then maybe it leaves them alone...

Old 05-19-2005, 06:27 AM   #58 (Print)
scubagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mask2343
Best. Show. On. TV.

Bummer that Hurley didn't notice the numbers on the hatch.

Whoa... did I miss something?

Did the numbers on the hatch match Hurley's lottery numbers?
scubagal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 06:34 AM   #59 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagal

Yes. At the end of "Numbers", they zoom in on the numbers which appear on the hatch. Someone can link the pic here.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:36 AM   #60 (Print)
yaddayaddayadda

Send a message via AIM to yaddayaddayadda Send a message via Yahoo to yaddayaddayadda
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagal
Whoa... did I miss something?

Yes.