TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #1 (Print)
heyitscory
Pinch My Penny
 
heyitscory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 8,442
Send a message via AIM to heyitscory Send a message via Yahoo to heyitscory
Alton Brown is a hypocrite.

I used to respect him because of his views on "unitaskers." (Stuff that does only one thing and takes up space.)

Almost every show he mentions that the only unitasker allowed in his kitchen is the fire extinguisher.


I just watched a show where he said he keeps a coffee grinder on hand solely for chopping fresh seasonings. That's uber-unitasking with what's already a unitasker.

Consider my bubble burst.

__________________
http://itscory.com
No one reads my blog http://blog.itscory.com

For pick-up of your eWaste anywhere in Sonoma County, visit http://greencircuits.com

Last edited by heyitscory : 05-26-2005 at 08:57 PM.
heyitscory is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-26-2005, 09:15 PM   #2 (Print)
jenhudson
The "after" look.
 
jenhudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,142
Send a message via AIM to jenhudson
I've seen most of his shows, and the part about the fire extinguisher doesn't ring a bell...which isn't to say it's not true, I'm just saying for as many eps as I've watched, you'd think I'd remember something like that. I do, however, know that he sings the praises of multi-taskers, so it does surprise me that he'd suggest a coffee grinder solely for fresh herbs/seasonings. But no one can be perfect, right?
jenhudson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-26-2005, 09:17 PM   #3 (Print)
miscellaneous
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 76
Well, if you consider every different type of herb and/or spice an individual 'task'... "time to make a rub - I'll use the coffee grinder;" "I need to chop basil for a pesto - coffee grinder"...

That's like saying his knife is a unitasker because all it does is cut.

__________________
Nope, no TIVO... I just love talking tv.
miscellaneous is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-26-2005, 09:47 PM   #4 (Print)
KyleBlowers
King Awesome
 
KyleBlowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 48
I just watched that episode last night. To be literal (and sound like a gigantic uber nerd), he wasn't actually IN his kitchen... he was in that RV thing. And, true he did say that he keeps a grinder around "just for grinding spices", but that's not to say that it IS a unitasker; it is, but it could still easily be used to grind coffee beans or other assorted crap.. that needs grinding.

Alton's the man. He ain't no hypocrite, fo sheezy.
KyleBlowers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-26-2005, 09:52 PM   #5 (Print)
Klaitu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 84
We're making complaints against a cooking show?

A low-rated expanded cable cooking show?

Alright, I could be wrong, but I think there's probably something more productive I could be doing right this very moment.

So.. uh.. I'm gonna go do that *backs away slowly*
Klaitu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 06:26 AM   #6 (Print)
SR2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu
We're making complaints against a cooking show?
A low-rated expanded cable cooking show?


... because the host used a grinder for spices...because he stated in the past he doesn't like "unitaskers"... so he is a hypocrite and not "respected" anymore....

It is amazing what people find newsworthy.
SR2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #7 (Print)
doom1701
I blue myself!
 
doom1701's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 8,967
Like others have said, it's not necessarily a unitasker because it only does one thing--if it does that one thing on multiple items (ie, all spices, and possibly coffee if he's in a pinch), I would still consider it a multitasker.

That said, Alton does change his mind a lot. On the cream puff episode, he extolled the virtues of using a cheap piping end set on a plastic bag, rather than a canvas piping bag for filling the cream puffs. In a later episode, he used an actual canvas piping bag for something. It does take him down a slight notch in my book, but it is just a TV show. And for the most part, the guy is consistent and knows his stuff.

jenhudson--just about any time he mentions unitaskers/multitaskers, he makes his "There's only room for one unitasker in my kitchen" speech--it's almost as common as Norm's "And always wear these safety glasses" speech.

And I still don't know where to find those safety glasses...

__________________
Tim

I've got a blog again; wonder how long this one will last?
doom1701 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #8 (Print)
Big Deficit
You were warned
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 388
By all means, multitask that grinder and enjoy a steaming cup of herbal pepper coffee. Anyone who watched the season finale of CSI knows that a fire extinguisher is also a fine insect extermination tool.

__________________
sadly guilt free
Big Deficit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 08:37 AM   #9 (Print)
7thton
Frak!
 
7thton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 949
Well, it is the highest rated show on The Food Network.....how's the view from that high horse?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu
We're making complaints against a cooking show?

A low-rated expanded cable cooking show?

Alright, I could be wrong, but I think there's probably something more productive I could be doing right this very moment.

So.. uh.. I'm gonna go do that *backs away slowly*
7thton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 09:14 AM   #10 (Print)
MikeCC
TiVotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit
By all means, multitask that grinder and enjoy a steaming cup of herbal pepper coffee. Anyone who watched the season finale of CSI knows that a fire extinguisher is also a fine insect extermination tool.


I was thinking the same thing...

I'm sure I would NOT want fresh ground coffee from the same grinder that yesterday prepped nutmeg, black pepper, and fresh cayenne.

::sip::
MikeCC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #11 (Print)
mercurial
Contrails
 
mercurial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 10,404
Send a message via AIM to mercurial Send a message via Yahoo to mercurial
Well, I'd guesstimate that I've heard him admit mea culpa on that policy a couple of times for special equipment. I think he also realizes it is part "schtick"- most people aren't going to construct some of the gizmos he comes up with. No matter how good you can smoke something in cardboard box with a hot plate- I'd rather have a sturdy smoker... Does that make me a hypocrite if I like AB? I think not.

__________________
Fleshy pod.
mercurial is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 10:36 AM   #12 (Print)
dtle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richardson, TX, USA
Posts: 485
He also grind nuts with it.
dtle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #13 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit
By all means, multitask that grinder and enjoy a steaming cup of herbal pepper coffee. Anyone who watched the season finale of CSI knows that a fire extinguisher is also a fine insect extermination tool.



I am glad someone said this because this is exactly what I was going to post myself. Either he or someone else has made this point! I too use a coffe grinder (and I don't even drink the swill) so grind spices like cumin. The smell of herbs really stays in there.
cptodd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #14 (Print)
heyitscory
Pinch My Penny
 
heyitscory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 8,442
Send a message via AIM to heyitscory Send a message via Yahoo to heyitscory
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
Well, I'd guesstimate that I've heard him admit mea culpa on that policy a couple of times for special equipment. I think he also realizes it is part "schtick"- most people aren't going to construct some of the gizmos he comes up with. No matter how good you can smoke something in cardboard box with a hot plate- I'd rather have a sturdy smoker... Does that make me a hypocrite if I like AB? I think not.

That box worked swimmingly... more swimmingly that that salmon I put in there.

__________________
http://itscory.com
No one reads my blog http://blog.itscory.com

For pick-up of your eWaste anywhere in Sonoma County, visit http://greencircuits.com
heyitscory is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 11:10 AM   #15 (Print)
mercurial
Contrails
 
mercurial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 10,404
Send a message via AIM to mercurial Send a message via Yahoo to mercurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitscory
That box worked swimmingly... more swimmingly that that salmon I put in there.


I'd guesstimate that you're more adventuresome than I in that respect...

__________________
Fleshy pod.
mercurial is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #16 (Print)
GerryGag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1701
Alton does change his mind a lot. On the cream puff episode, he extolled the virtues of using a cheap piping end set on a plastic bag, rather than a canvas piping bag for filling the cream puffs. In a later episode, he used an actual canvas piping bag for something. It does take him down a slight notch in my book, but it is just a TV show. And for the most part, the guy is consistent and knows his stuff.


He sometimes even makes fun of himself for it. There was one episode where he says "do not add oil to the boiling water your about to make pasta in; it just sits on top and does nothing". Then in a later episode, he tells you to add the oil to the boiling water. And right afterwards, he turns on a tv that's sitting on his counter that shows the clip from the earlier show. He then pushes the tv off the counter.

BTW: I've constructed the ceramic smoker with hot plate to make pulled pork...works rather well considering the whole contraption cost me less than $15.
GerryGag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #17 (Print)
mercurial
Contrails
 
mercurial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 10,404
Send a message via AIM to mercurial Send a message via Yahoo to mercurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryGag
He sometimes even makes fun of himself for it. There was one episode where he says "do not add oil to the boiling water your about to make pasta in; it just sits on top and does nothing". Then in a later episode, he tells you to add the oil to the boiling water. And right afterwards, he turns on a tv that's sitting on his counter that shows the clip from the earlier show. He then pushes the tv off the counter.


Same thing with stuffing... It's nice he doesn't take himself to seriously.

__________________
Fleshy pod.
mercurial is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 12:15 PM   #18 (Print)
footballdude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arnold, MO
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryGag
BTW: I've constructed the ceramic smoker with hot plate to make pulled pork...works rather well considering the whole contraption cost me less than $15.


You can buy a water smoker at Wal Mart for about $19. Mine's become one of my favorite things.
footballdude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #19 (Print)
Granny
Registered User
 
Granny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit
By all means, multitask that grinder and enjoy a steaming cup of herbal pepper coffee. Anyone who watched the season finale of CSI knows that a fire extinguisher is also a fine insect extermination tool.


Extinguishers are also good for breaking windows, padlocks, and bag guys heads, when the need arises. Definietly a multi-tasking tool.
Granny is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 12:46 PM   #20 (Print)
cheerdude
Registered User
 
cheerdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
Same thing with stuffing... It's nice he doesn't take himself to seriously.


STUFFING IS EVIL!
cheerdude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #21 (Print)
GerryGag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude
STUFFING IS EVIL!




(and many times when he wants out of that conundrum, he'll refer to it as "filling" and not stuffing. Cheater!)
GerryGag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 05:17 PM   #22 (Print)
mooseAndSquirrel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Whatsamatta U
Posts: 1,606
Grinding cinammon and then cardamom is going to have the same effect as a pepper coffee.

Plus, my coffee grinder is something like $300.

Personally, I'd use a mortal and pestal. But there really aren't a lot of spices I'm grinding anyway, other than pepper (for which the peppermate is my recommendation).
mooseAndSquirrel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 05:49 PM   #23 (Print)
Jayjoans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel
Personally, I'd use a mortal and pestal. But there really aren't a lot of spices I'm grinding anyway, other than pepper (for which the peppermate is my recommendation).



As opposed to a God and Pestle?
Jayjoans is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #24 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all
 
jsmeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas (or L.A.)
Posts: 30,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel
Grinding cinammon and then cardamom is going to have the same effect as a pepper coffee.

Plus, my coffee grinder is something like $300.

Personally, I'd use a mortal and pestal. But there really aren't a lot of spices I'm grinding anyway, other than pepper (for which the peppermate is my recommendation).


get a cheap blade grinder. They are just fine for grinding spices.

__________________
Jeff
Proud to use my TiVo improperly
President of the TiVoShanan Fan Club
Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 06:52 PM   #25 (Print)
bootedbear
JavaJunkie
 
bootedbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 733
I have 3: one for coffee, one for spices, and one for grinding dried chile peppers. Never the twain shall meet. These are NOT compatible flavors.

No hypocrisy in my view.
bootedbear is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #26 (Print)
Dennis Wilkinson
Registered User
 
Dennis Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: East Freetown, MA
Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootedbear
I have 3: one for coffee, one for spices, and one for grinding dried chile peppers. Never the twain shall meet. These are NOT compatible flavors.


My personal lineup exactly.

When I was younger, newly married (and, er, less savvy) I ground up a batch of dried piquin peppers in the (only) coffee grinder. I thought I had done a pretty good job of cleaning it out, but the wife was not amused when she had her morning cuppa the next day...

__________________
Dennis
Dennis Wilkinson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-28-2005, 12:55 AM   #27 (Print)
bootedbear
JavaJunkie
 
bootedbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 733
Capsaicin and caffeine! That'll get you going!
bootedbear is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #28 (Print)
Faust67
Registered User
 
Faust67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to Faust67
Quote:
Originally Posted by footballdude
You can buy a water smoker at Wal Mart for about $19. Mine's become one of my favorite things.


Mmmm... Nothing like an ice cold glass of smoked water...
Faust67 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #29 (Print)
DianaMo
Cubs fan
 
DianaMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,053
My family loves the "Good Eats" show. There are many episodes of this series storied on our Tivo. I've also purchased two of his books.
DianaMo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #30 (Print)
jasoncarr
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Carrollton, Tx
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhudson
I've seen most of his shows, and the part about the fire extinguisher doesn't ring a bell...which isn't to say it's not true, I'm just saying for as many eps as I've watched, you'd think I'd remember something like that.


I remember him saying that in one show at least, maybe two.

__________________
30 hr standalone
140hr philips directivo
jasoncarr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index