SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #1 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Rachael Ray is a crappy tipper.

Anyone watch "$40 a Day"?

It's on the Food Network, and each time, Rachael Ray goes to a different city and has 3 meals on "only" $40 a day.

First of all, she doesn't eat very much. When she went to DC, she went to Jaleo, a Tapas restaurant for dinner and had one Tapa. That's smaller than an appetizer.

Second, she's a crappy tipper. She often tips exactly 15% and before tax.

So in order to survive on $40 a day on the Racheal Ray plan, eat less and tip crappily.

I would rather skip breakfast (or lunch) and only have two meals a day, and tip better.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-29-2005, 11:16 AM   #2 (Print)
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

Third, she stays at an expensive B&B that includes breakfast so that it doesn't count against her daily $40.

(She's perky, though.)
TIVOSciolist is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-29-2005, 12:20 PM   #3 (Print)
mooseAndSquirrel

I generally probably tip too much (20% on the total is my norm), but I don't think 15% of the pre-tax bill is "crappy". I've known people to exclude drinks from their tip calculation. I suppose this is under the premise that the restaurant has already made enough on a $9 cosmo or a $2.50 coke.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #4 (Print)
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Send a message via AIM to LoadStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel
I generally probably tip too much (20% on the total is my norm), but I don't think 15% of the pre-tax bill is "crappy". I've known people to exclude drinks from their tip calculation. I suppose this is under the premise that the restaurant has already made enough on a $9 cosmo or a $2.50 coke.

Problem with that logic - it's not the restaurant that gets the tip, it's the server. No matter how expensive the drink is, that money doesn't go back to the server usually.

(Oh, and I guess I'm probably considered a crappy tipper too.)
LoadStar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-29-2005, 01:01 PM   #5 (Print)
doom1701
I blue myself!

I still say that anybody can do pretty well for $40 a day--she just spends too much time at the fancy places. Heck, the hell job had a limit of $37 a day when you were travelling, and I was never hungry during my travels.

I've got a blog again; wonder how long this one will last?
doom1701 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #6 (Print)
getbak

15% before taxes is the standard acceptable tip for good service (which is why you often hear the advice to double the tax - which is usually around 7-9% - to determine the tip) and is probably factored into the show's $40 a Day in-show budget.

In reality, Food Network probably negotiates favorable prices (i.e. free food in exchange for a favorable mention on the show) to feed her and the crew while giving the serving staff adequate compensation for their patience.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #7 (Print)
astrohip

Send a message via AIM to astrohip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy

The std rate for good service is 15% before tax. That's not crappy. It's the std.

I usually tip much better on a smaller tab (like $5 on a Souper Salad $15 meal) because the percents are so small dollar-wise, and the help is prolly underpaid. I usually tip much closer to 15% on a larger tab, unless service has been above par, in which case I tend towards 20%.
astrohip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-29-2005, 05:59 PM   #8 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1701
I still say that anybody can do pretty well for $40 a day--she just spends too much time at the fancy places. Heck, the hell job had a limit of $37 a day when you were travelling, and I was never hungry during my travels.

Yeah, but the idea of her show isn't to go to a new and different town and go to McDonalds.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #9 (Print)
doom1701
I blue myself!

Quote:
Yeah, but the idea of her show isn't to go to a new and different town and go to McDonalds.

I know that Grand Rapids isn't a cultural mecca, but around here you could hit some decent, unique to our area restaurants and still easily get by on $40 a day, including tips. Yeah, you won't have steak and lobster at every meal, but you can definately sample the local flair.

You see, we've got Wendy's, too.

I've got a blog again; wonder how long this one will last?
doom1701 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #10 (Print)
tetspa

I just read in her new book (based on the $40/day show) that she got loads of nasty emails when she did her show in Dallas because she went to 2 chains for 2 of the 3 meals. I agree with the other posters - I'd rather find the best joint in town for a hamburger or chicken-fried-steak or chili, and go there and have a good meal (often the home-town joints are fairly inexpensive anyway) - good example is Herrera's for Tex-Mex in Dallas - you can eat like a king for $ 15 - rather than go to a 5 star restaurant and just order dessert or an appitiser and call it a meal.

And yes, when you go to a 5-star for "just a cup of soup", you tie up a waiter's table for a $ 7.00 check. It is a bit crappy.
tetspa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #11 (Print)
zalusky

Aaaaarrrrghhh Tip Bigots. Her show probably increased revenue for those establishments many times over and therefore increased the waitress's tip money as well.

In the end Tipping promotes the ability for establishment to advertise artificially lower prices by lowering the wage of the waitiress and having you make up the difference.

In fact the majority of the TIP is not a tip but your part of her salary. The part of the TIP that really insures better service is kind of bogus. If you give them an exboritant TIP it doesnt correlate to service but more to the lottery and if if its too little its basically stiffing their salary.

2 HDVR2 + 2 HR10-250
zalusky is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #12 (Print)
Satchel
Renaissance Geek

Send a message via AIM to Satchel
She's still hot...

Old 05-30-2005, 06:28 AM   #13 (Print)
orome
Druish Prince

Sure, the food comes in at $40 a day, but I'd like to see her match things like, say, her rental car, side trips and hotels to that. That flashy red convertible in Hawai'i would be a budget strainer.

That said, she is quite nice to look at and listen to, especially when I'm grumpy.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:02 AM   #14 (Print)
SR2

Quote:
Anyone watch "$40 a Day"?

It's on the Food Network, and each time, Rachael Ray goes to a different city and has 3 meals on "only" $40 a day.

First of all, she doesn't eat very much. When she went to DC, she went to Jaleo, a Tapas restaurant for dinner and had one Tapa. That's smaller than an appetizer.

So in order to survive on $40 a day on the Racheal Ray plan, eat less and tip crappily.

I would rather skip breakfast (or lunch) and only have two meals a day, and tip better.

The show is not about tipping and should not be. Thus, she is consistent with the standard 15%. Why would they spend any time reviewing the service to decide about the tip? The viewers did not experience the service so it would be meaningless. The way they do it is pretty much the only way to do it. Pick a % and go with it.

Of course, all the visits are set up in advance, so any thought that the restaurant or wait staff are getting stiffed is not going to be reality. I have heard her in interviews saying she normally over-tips.

In short -- it is a TV show about introducing food and locations and should be viewed as such. No more, no less.
SR2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #15 (Print)
tbowie

I like Rachel Ray but hate the fact that she almost never has anything negative to say. How likely is that?
tbowie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #16 (Print)
d-dub
Bum

Send a message via ICQ to d-dub Send a message via AIM to d-dub Send a message via Yahoo to d-dub
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1701

Heck, I took my four boys (ages 10 - 17) on a two-week traveling vacation, and we averaged $50/day for the 5 of us! Luckily, teenaged boys have pretty simple taste in food , and there's no tipping at Burger King
d-dub is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #17 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2
The show is not about tipping and should not be. Thus, she is consistent with the standard 15%. Why would they spend any time reviewing the service to decide about the tip? The viewers did not experience the service so it would be meaningless. The way they do it is pretty much the only way to do it. Pick a % and go with it.

Of course, all the visits are set up in advance, so any thought that the restaurant or wait staff are getting stiffed is not going to be reality. I have heard her in interviews saying she normally over-tips.

In short -- it is a TV show about introducing food and locations and should be viewed as such. No more, no less.

Oh, I agree. I enjoy the new places and restaurants she goes to, and she's easy on the eyes and fun to watch.

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be able to go to the places she does, and get out on $40 a day.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:13 AM   #18 (Print)
mjh
Re: Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel
She's still hot...
I can't disagree with you, but I think that I'd go absolutely nuts as soon as she started talking and repeating, "How cool is THAT!" or "Awesome" 700 times in 30 minutes. I like her 30 minute meals show because it shows what you can do if you're organized and you already have all of the ingredients. I just wish there was a way I could effectively get the information from the show while it was on mute.

Or that she'd turn her effervescence down from high to about medium-low.

12/02-04/03: SA TiVo S2, 40hr, stock, lifetime (sold)
Prior to 12/02: Coveting. MASSIVE coveting
mjh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #19 (Print)
bro1ncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowie
I like Rachel Ray but hate the fact that she almost never has anything negative to say. How likely is that?

I read an interview with her and she commented exactly on that subject. She said any time she really starts commenting on things besides the food it is a good indication she doesn't like it too much. She said she will compliment the resturant decor or the drinks or the prices.

Old 05-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #20 (Print)
sketcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbowie

Do you know of a show where the host goes in to someone's business and slams it - even occasionally?
sketcher is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #21 (Print)
dengel
Linux or Die!

I'd do her.

d.

Old 05-30-2005, 06:59 PM   #22 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
I've only seen one episode of that show and it drove me nuts because everytime she stuck the first bite of the food in her mouth, she had the exact same reaction. Obviously she can't react badly to the food, so why show her eat it. She could simply tell us it's good, with out the stupid reaction and "MMMMM."

Old 05-30-2005, 07:04 PM   #23 (Print)
heyitscory
Pinch My Penny

Send a message via AIM to heyitscory Send a message via Yahoo to heyitscory
Don't get me started on what a ***** Rachel Ray is.

She's an obnoxious, sexist and vaccuous person.

For pick-up of your eWaste anywhere in Sonoma County, visit http://greencircuits.com
heyitscory is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2005, 07:05 PM   #24 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitscory
Don't get me started on what a ***** Rachel Ray is.

Why not? This thread was inspired by your "Alton Brown is a hypocrite" thread.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #25 (Print)
heyitscory
Pinch My Penny

Quote:
Why not? This thread was inspired by your "Alton Brown is a hypocrite" thread.

Well, I still like Alton Brown. I've hated Rachel Ray since the first time I heard her utter the words "Guy Friendly."

Grrrrr.....

For pick-up of your eWaste anywhere in Sonoma County, visit http://greencircuits.com
Old 05-30-2005, 07:37 PM   #26 (Print)
heyitscory
Pinch My Penny

Also, it pisses me off when she says E.V.O.O. for some reason. I don't know why.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:54 PM   #27 (Print)
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

Quote:
Also, it pisses me off when she says E.V.O.O. for some reason. I don't know why.

E.V.O.O. = Extra Virgin Olive Oil?

I take it then that you missed her book signing in Berkeley a few weeks ago.
TIVOSciolist is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2005, 08:44 PM   #28 (Print)
mjh
Re: Member

Yes. EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It annoys me, too.

12/02-04/03: SA TiVo S2, 40hr, stock, lifetime (sold)
Prior to 12/02: Coveting. MASSIVE coveting
mjh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 PM   #29 (Print)
Jayjoans

Quote:

It's not the EVOO that gets me, it's that she has to SAY "extra virgin olive oil" EVERYTIME she says EVOO...than what the hell is the point to begin with?
Jayjoans is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-31-2005, 12:02 AM   #30 (Print)
Tangent
Format c:\*.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans
It's not the EVOO that gets me, it's that she has to SAY "extra virgin olive oil" EVERYTIME she says EVOO...than what the hell is the point to begin with?

That's exactly what I asked my wife when I first noticed it. It's like a bad joke: If you have to explain it, don't bother telling it. While some of her recipes are great, she's an extraordinarily annoying person to watch. She's like some kind of over-caffienated 16-year-old cheerleader from a bad movie.
Tangent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post