THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #61 (Print)
SR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaccad
Wow... I'm guessing that many of you never waited tables in high school/college

What posters advocated no tipping or sub-15% unles there is poor service?

This line seems to often start off the "patrons owe the wait staff a living" position. The bottom line is that people should tip appropriately, but past that the wait person can get a new job if they don't like the income. Whether or not I have been a waiter has nothing to do with that.
SR2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #62 (Print)
footballdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2
This line seems to often start off the "patrons owe the wait staff a living" position.

I never waited tables, but I did work as a cook in a sit down restaurant for a couple of years. I only made about fifty cents an hour more than the waitresses but I didn't get any tips. If I made a good meal, the waitress got a big tip for walking it across the room and refilling their cokes. If I made a mistake, the waitress would come back and yell at me for ruining her tip. Now you know why I don't think the average waiter/waitress deserves anything. Oh, and when the place closed at night, the waitresses went home while the cooks still had a couple of hours of work breaking down the grills, cleaning the work areas, and mopping the floors. Never once did anyone in the paying public ever give me (or any other cook there) so much as a compliment but we frequently had to deal with losers sending food back because they changed their minds and wanted something else. Or were drunk when they ordered and forgot what they ordered. I was actually physically assaulted by a drunk one night because he got exactly what he ordered and then remembered he didn't like it. We're all expected to chip in to help the waitress but the poor slob in the back standing in shoes filled with his own sweat gets nothing.

Not that any of that is tragic or anything, but it just bothered me to see someone call a 15% tip 'crappy'.
footballdude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #63 (Print)
chewbaccad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2
What posters advocated no tipping or sub-15% unles there is poor service?

And my comments insinuated that how? All I'm saying is that this thread seems to have a fair share of people who don't much care about their servers, or understand that their servers are working for tips. In fact I agreed that any server who gives poor service should hear about, and have their tip reflect their lackluster efforts.

As for football, by the logic in this thread then you shouldn't have worked there Where I worked, the cooks were usually out a good hour before the closing wait staff because the kitchen closed earlier than the restaurant. The wait staff was there restocking, supplying the bar, rolling silverware (the bane of every server's existence ), cleaning the dining room, etc.. And this was a few years back, but the servers were making a whopping $1.85/hour. If it was a slow night, the hostesses hated you, or all you got were crappy tips, you weren't makin' anything.

I'm not looking to rile feathers (not that I mind ). I'm just pointing out that servers in fact live off of the tips they get. And they have to share those tips with the bartenders, bus boys, hostesses, food runners (or other servers), and sometimes even the cooks. If your server was good, let 'em know it

Old 06-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #64 (Print)
Faust67

Send a message via Yahoo to Faust67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent
That's exactly what I asked my wife when I first noticed it. It's like a bad joke: If you have to explain it, don't bother telling it. While some of her recipes are great, she's an extraordinarily annoying person to watch. She's like some kind of over-caffienated 16-year-old cheerleader from a bad movie.

I see your point........ She WOULD look good in a cheerleader outfit.

Faust67 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2005, 02:12 PM   #65 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

This thread is like being on the old FoodTV message boards.

I'd let Rachael Ray "annoy" me in my kitchen any day of the week.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #66 (Print)
Mrx

15% is low, but what about 0%. i know some people no names(Venus and Serena Williams) that dont tip at all. restaurants 0, valet parking 0. i know for a fact about valet, and from a friend about restaurants. losers!
Mrx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #67 (Print)
chewbaccad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust67
I see your point........ She WOULD look good in a cheerleader outfit.

Go team!

Old 06-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #68 (Print)
chewbaccad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrx
15% is low, but what about 0%. i know some people no names(Venus and Serena Williams) that dont tip at all. restaurants 0, valet parking 0. i know for a fact about valet, and from a friend about restaurants. losers!

Simple... those people should have to go get their own dang cars

Old 06-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #69 (Print)
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Send a message via AIM to Waldorf
I've always been told that 15% of total (excluding bottles of wine) is base tip for good service. Extraordinary service is discretionary and 'bad service', you shouldn't tip at all or below 15%. This will encourage the server to find a line of work that suits them.

Made sense to me at the time, but now that I think back, I can remember a few times I've truly had bad service and still tipped 15%... oh well, my fault for lowering the bar and encouraging bad behaviour.
Waldorf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #70 (Print)
heyitscory
Pinch My Penny

Send a message via AIM to heyitscory Send a message via Yahoo to heyitscory
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I'd let Rachael Ray "annoy" me in my kitchen any day of the week.

Rachel has me torn, because she drives me nuts, but she's so damn attractive.

She's the Ann Coulter of the kitchen.

For pick-up of your eWaste anywhere in Sonoma County, visit http://greencircuits.com
heyitscory is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #71 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitscory

she doesn't really drive me nuts at all. I like that kind of personality she shows on air.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #72 (Print)
AlanShutko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf
I've always been told that 15% of total (excluding bottles of wine) is base tip for good service.

That seems to be a controversial topic. I've always included wine in my tips. I've also noticed that when I'm in a new restaurant, ordering a bottle of wine tends to ensure I get good service the rest of the night.

Especially since I go back to restaurants I like, I just budget 20% tips into the meal. Servers remember me and take very good care of me. It's worth it, even if I don't get to eat out as much as I would if I tipped less.
AlanShutko is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2005, 06:13 AM   #73 (Print)
On Course

Send a message via AIM to On Course
You all have intrigued me into TiVoing a show I have never heard of--to watch some crazy, hot chick tip waitresses poorly (sorry Smeek- to each his own ) and talk about EVOO. I must really be bored.

Sometimes you feel like a nut....sometimes you feel like a nap.

Ride a draft, it will make your butt look smaller :D
On Course is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #74 (Print)
chewbaccad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanShutko
That seems to be a controversial topic. I've always included wine in my tips. I've also noticed that when I'm in a new restaurant, ordering a bottle of wine tends to ensure I get good service the rest of the night.

I never understood the "eliminate drinks from the calculation" idea, but that probably comes from serving In most restaurants, any alcoholic (or non-alcoholic beverage that requires the barkeep's time) drink that goes on the bill means that the server is now sharing at least part of the tip with the bartender. So not only is the customer lowering the tip percentage, but the server is splitting it as well. Just a frame of reference

Quote:
Especially since I go back to restaurants I like, I just budget 20% tips into the meal. Servers remember me and take very good care of me. It's worth it, even if I don't get to eat out as much as I would if I tipped less.

Bingo. Servers know who the good tipping regulars are, and they're probably fighting over you when you walk in the door. The smart servers are probably even tipping the hostesses a little if they put you in their section

Old 06-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #75 (Print)
Rkkeller

I usually just tip 20% as it's easier to figure the amount that way.

No one mentioned the Raman Noodles and Oodles of Noodles in the cup for a cheap way to eat. I know people in college that used to survive on cases of these. I think you used to be able to get them 3-4-5 for a buck years ago, maybe still today. They only take a minute to heat too.

Rich
Rkkeller is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #76 (Print)
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanShutko

Let me clarify... sometimes, my dinner tab is around $40 and the bottle of wine is around $120... So on that, I usually tip around $10... Should I include the bottle and tip $28? seems like alot for a $40 meal.

I also am a regular at several restaurants. I'll ask my favorite waiters/waitresses if I'm ripping them off. They seem very happy with me, so I assumed not.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #77 (Print)
chewbaccad

Quote:
Let me clarify... sometimes, my dinner tab is around $40 and the bottle of wine is around $120... So on that, I usually tip around $10... Should I include the bottle and tip $28? seems like alot for a $40 meal.

Well yeah, in that case I think you have a point that an extra couple of bucks should make it. What I was talking about were people who factor out all drinks, like mixed drinks and bar tab stuff... I didn't mean your bottle of wine in particular.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #78 (Print)
Havana Brown
Brown Again

Send a message via MSN to Havana Brown Send a message via Yahoo to Havana Brown
It's a show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havana Brown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2005, 10:42 PM   #79 (Print)
Captain Bob
Down with Billboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller
No one mentioned the Raman Noodles and Oodles of Noodles in the cup for a cheap way to eat. I know people in college that used to survive on cases of these. I think you used to be able to get them 3-4-5 for a buck years ago, maybe still today. They only take a minute to heat too.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew. There were weeks when I lived on that stuff. Cheap and good (not to mention good and cheap).

Old 06-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #80 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
Quote:

I also am a regular at several restaurants. I'll ask my favorite waiters/waitresses if I'm ripping them off. They seem very happy with me, so I assumed not.

Using that logic, you shouldn't have to pay a bigger tip for the $40 plate of steak and lobster than you do for a $5 cup of soup. After all, it takes the same amount of work for the server to take your order and bring it to your table. There's a reason servers hate it when you order water and love it when you order alcohol. They're expecting a tip on the full bill and every drink raises the tab.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:52 AM   #81 (Print)
niferbee
math geek

The other thing she explains every time she says it is (besides EVOO) is "Stoup". I'm sure there's a drinking game based on her show and every time she says "Stoup", EVOO, and "Yummo".

The whole EVOO thing didn't bug me until I read this thread.

That and her whole intro to the show is (I swear) the same exact thing every time ("In the time it takes you to watch this show, ...") Gets old.
niferbee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2005, 05:55 AM   #82 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller
I can live on $40 for an entire WEEK. A dozen eggs, pound of bacon, loaf of bread for breakfast cost =$5-6. Lunch is a pound of lunch meat, pound of cheese, lettuce and use bread from breakfast $12. Thats only $17-18 bucks tops for breakfast and lunch for the week leaving me $22-$23 for dinner. 1-2 pounds of ground beef, 2 packs of hotdogs, use bread and lettuce from breakfast/lunch.

Rich

What is the time/channel/name of your new show?

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

“Be yourself, it’s easier isn’t it?”
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2005, 06:18 AM   #83 (Print)
orome
Druish Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by niferbee
I'm sure there's a drinking game based on her show
Yep, we wrote one three episodes in. Rachael giggles: take a drink. EVOO: take a drink. She refers to home or family: take a drink. Et cetera.

Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 AM   #84 (Print)
midas

Quote:
Originally Posted by orome
Yep, we wrote one three episodes in. Rachael giggles: take a drink. EVOO: take a drink. She refers to home or family: take a drink. Et cetera.

No human being can drink that much in 30 minutes.
midas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 AM   #85 (Print)
retrodog
Forum Koshatnik

I'd never seen her or the show before but...

She's hot. I'd definitely rub her down with EVOO, extra virgin olive oil.

"There is some mental disorder, where people keep cats."justapixel
retrodog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-07-2005, 10:21 AM   #86 (Print)
Steveknj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh
I can't disagree with you, but I think that I'd go absolutely nuts as soon as she started talking and repeating, "How cool is THAT!" or "Awesome" 700 times in 30 minutes. I like her 30 minute meals show because it shows what you can do if you're organized and you already have all of the ingredients. I just wish there was a way I could effectively get the information from the show while it was on mute.

Or that she'd turn her effervescence down from high to about medium-low.

We have a "drinking" game in our house (well we don't really drink, but we do count), how many times a show she says Yum or a variation of Yum (Yum-O seems to be a favorite of hers).

We also try to figure out is she's really randomly picking those places based on the feedback of people she meets on the street (we figure no, or it's done over a few days and they edit in the best places for each meal).

I think based on the location she goes to, depends on how she eats. An expensive place like Newport, RI or the Hamptons, she's liable to have a coffee and danish for breakfast on the run, while in a less expensive location (Memphis?) she'll have the full breakfast treatment, and it goes from there. The idea is to fit the budget of $40 a day. In some places that's easy, in others it's not.

Now, regarding the tipping, I have no problem with using the standard 15% before tax, as she's on a budget and that's a normal tip. You have to remember, the service is ALWAYS going to be good because they are ON TV. The directors will make sure that the service is good.

And as for her not eating her meals. She always takes one bite of everything on the camera, then who knows what she does with the rest (share's with the crew, gives to a charity?) I can't imagine she can eat all those meals and maintain that figure!!

Old 06-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #87 (Print)
Steveknj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqpickles
Astrohip: I assume that SouperSalad is a buffet where you live? It is here. I consider myself a decent tipper, but that's 33% and you have to get your own food? I don't see why buffet restaurants should have the same tipping standards as others. The other thing that drives me nuts is the trend toward tip jars for carry out. There's even a tip jar at the Starbucks drive through window. wtf?

I do tip my carhop at Sonic.

All that aside, I just have to say this is the most amusing thread I've seen in a long time.

Actually, I thought the accepted norm for a buffet resturaunt (where the "waiter" brings you your drinks and replaces your dirty plates) is $1 per person. That is what I was always taught and that's what I tip. For regular restaraunts, it's 15% for standard service, 0-10% for lousy service, and 20% for exceptional service (and more if the service was really exceptional). And, I always try to round up to the nearest $.

Old 06-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #88 (Print)
Steveknj

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip
I'm almost afraid to respond (trollbaiting?). . . but I'm not that smart .

Have you never quit frequenting a joint because the service is lousy? Yes, the food is the driving factor, but consistently bad service will overcome good food.

And a good waiter really earns every bit of their tip, as does the rest of the waitstaff.

To me good service should include:
1) introducing yourself within 2 minutes of getting seated
2) Taking drink orders after the intro and then bringing them to the table rather quickly.
3) Taking meal order and CONFIRMING each order to get it right.
4) If the meal is taking an exceptionally long time or it's a special order, making sure that you are informed of this and checking back with you periodically on the status of your order.
5) Being INVOLVED in delivering the meal to the table. I absolutely HATE it when the busboy brings you your meal, while the waiter is nowhere to be found.
6) Making sure the appropriate condiments are brought with the meal, including sugar for coffee/tea, etc.
6) Asking at least 2x how the meal is and offering to refill drinks, take dirty plates away, etc.
7) Offering dessert, and if the answer is no, having the check to the table PROMPTLY, and then coming back to collect the tab within a short period of time. THere is NOTHING worse than them bringing the check and then disappearing for 10 minutes before coming to collect the tab.

Is ANY of this too much to ask? Missing ANY 2 of the 7 would immediately downgrade their tip in my eyes. Doing ALL 7 would increase their tip above the standard. Doing MORE than that (engaging me in a conversation, talking about a dish they might like, describing some of the drink choices, "playing" with my kids) would warrent even more tip

Old 06-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #89 (Print)
Steveknj

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitscory

Hahahaha, that's so perfect!! But I'll take Rachel's perky nose, to Ann's giraffe like neck anytime!!

Old 06-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #90 (Print)
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqpickles
I do tip my carhop at Sonic.

I do also, but only if they're on rollerskates.