TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2005, 09:34 PM   #61 (Print)
bnm81002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,359
did anybody have a look at my post above, is that the correct way to get the USB 2.0 drivers installed correctly? thanks

__________________
Philips DSR704(2 of these)
Pioneer DVR810H
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #62 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burke, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 212
Send a message via Yahoo to beej
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
did anybody have a look at my post above, is that the correct way to get the USB 2.0 drivers installed correctly? thanks


Thats what I did and the NICs work...

__________________
Beej

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #63 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burke, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 212
Send a message via Yahoo to beej
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
How did you set your IP address, netconfig.tcl? What is your DNS address set to? Could it be wireless signal strength issue? Try doing an indefinite ping to see if it's solid.


No I used Gunny's guide and set up DHCP through .author

I can see each tivo more consistently now. But can't transfer.

I don't know about DNS. Where would I set that in the .author?
I literally just followed Gunnys guide.

Wireless strength may be the issue...
Let me see what I can do about that.

__________________
Beej

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-24-2005, 09:49 PM   #64 (Print)
bnm81002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej
Thats what I did and the NICs work...



hope that my post didn't mess you up, I asked if that was that correct way to install the drivers to get USB 2.0 and no one answered me back, so dunno if that was the correct way to do it or not?

__________________
Philips DSR704(2 of these)
Pioneer DVR810H
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #65 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burke, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 212
Send a message via Yahoo to beej
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
hope that my post didn't mess you up, I asked if that was that correct way to install the drivers to get USB 2.0 and no one answered me back, so dunno if that was the correct way to do it or not?


No. I mean, I followed the EXACT same route you spelled out and my NICs all power up, get IPs and cause the Tivos to see each other.

Code:
cd /lib/modules/ mkdir backup mv ax8817x.o /lib/modules/backup/ mv usbcore.o /lib/modules/backup/ mv usb-ohci.o /lib/modules/backup/ mv usbnet.o /lib/modules/backup/ mv /usb-2.4.27/obj/drivers/2.4.20/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ mv /usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usbcore.o /lib/modules/ mv /usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usb-ohci.o /lib/modules/ ln -fs usbnet.o ax8817x.o


Except I put the new drivers in simpler directory for ease of moving...

__________________
Beej

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #66 (Print)
bnm81002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej
No. I mean, I followed the EXACT same route you spelled out and my NICs all power up, get IPs and cause the Tivos to see each other.

Code:
cd /lib/modules/ mkdir backup mv ax8817x.o /lib/modules/backup/ mv usbcore.o /lib/modules/backup/ mv usb-ohci.o /lib/modules/backup/ mv usbnet.o /lib/modules/backup/ mv /usb-2.4.27/obj/drivers/2.4.20/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ mv /usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usbcore.o /lib/modules/ mv /usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usb-ohci.o /lib/modules/ ln -fs usbnet.o ax8817x.o


Except I put the new drivers in simpler directory for ease of moving...



your last statement, what did you mean by that?
can you type exactly what commands that you used, I would like to know, thanks

__________________
Philips DSR704(2 of these)
Pioneer DVR810H
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-24-2005, 10:17 PM   #67 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burke, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 212
Send a message via Yahoo to beej
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
your last statement, what did you mean by that?
can you type exactly what commands that you used, I would like to know, thanks


Code:
My Code START TELNET PROGRAM telnet tivoipaddress cd / ls (to make sure we are at the root) or pwd mkdir /hacks mkdir /backup START FTP PROGRAM transfer usb-2.4.27/obj/drivers/2.4.20/usbnet.o to folder /hacks transfer usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usbcore.o to folder /hacks transfer usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usb-ohci.o to folder /hacks GO BACK TO TELNET mv /lib/modules/ax8817x.o /backup mv /lib/modules/usbcore.o /backup mv /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o /backup mv /lib/modules/usbnet.o /backup mv /hacks/usbcore.o /lib/modules mv /hacks/usb-ohci.o /lib/modules mv /hacks/usbnet.o /lib/modules ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o ls /lib/modules (to make sure the 4 objects are there) reboot

__________________
Beej

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-24-2005, 11:05 PM   #68 (Print)
bnm81002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej
Code:
My Code START TELNET PROGRAM telnet tivoipaddress cd / ls (to make sure we are at the root) or pwd mkdir /hacks mkdir /backup START FTP PROGRAM transfer usb-2.4.27/obj/drivers/2.4.20/usbnet.o to folder /hacks transfer usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usbcore.o to folder /hacks transfer usb-2.4.27/obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2/usb-ohci.o to folder /hacks GO BACK TO TELNET mv /lib/modules/ax8817x.o /backup mv /lib/modules/usbcore.o /backup mv /lib/modules/usb-ohci.o /backup mv /lib/modules/usbnet.o /backup mv /hacks/usbcore.o /lib/modules mv /hacks/usb-ohci.o /lib/modules mv /hacks/usbnet.o /lib/modules ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o ls /lib/modules (to make sure the 4 objects are there) reboot



cool thanks, so that work in getting 2.0 speed or as close to it?
hope it works for me then too

__________________
Philips DSR704(2 of these)
Pioneer DVR810H
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #69 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burke, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 212
Send a message via Yahoo to beej
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
cool thanks, so that work in getting 2.0 speed or as close to it?
hope it works for me then too


I didn't test the connection speeds. I just went for the 2.0 drivers since I have the hardware... I figured why waste the opportunity

__________________
Beej

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-25-2005, 12:18 AM   #70 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burke, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 212
Send a message via Yahoo to beej
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
How did you set your IP address, netconfig.tcl? What is your DNS address set to? Could it be wireless signal strength issue? Try doing an indefinite ping to see if it's solid.


I repositioned the wireless bridge just a little (twisted it like 2 degrees from where it was sitting) and the device says 100% signal strength and 100% signal quality.
And it appears to be transferring now. We'll see.

__________________
Beej

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-25-2005, 12:26 AM   #71 (Print)
bnm81002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej
I didn't test the connection speeds. I just went for the 2.0 drivers since I have the hardware... I figured why waste the opportunity





well when you did test out the speeds, please let me know what you get ok? thanks

__________________
Philips DSR704(2 of these)
Pioneer DVR810H
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-25-2005, 12:51 AM   #72 (Print)
ssstivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
well when you did test out the speeds, please let me know what you get ok? thanks


I recently upgraded to 2.0 drivers. My transfer speed for a one hour show went from about 22 minutes to about 10 minutes.

The 22 minutes was acceptable to me, but the 10 minutes is even better. Previously I had tried going wireless but the transfer speeds were WAY too slow for me. It would often take more than an hour to transfer an hour long show.

It took a bit of work to run the cables, but having wired connections between my 3 DTivos is great.
ssstivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-25-2005, 10:36 AM   #73 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burke, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 212
Send a message via Yahoo to beej
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstivo
It took a bit of work to run the cables, but having wired connections between my 3 DTivos is great.


I dont think my wife will let me punch any more holes in the walls!

__________________
Beej

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #74 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burke, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 212
Send a message via Yahoo to beej
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej
I repositioned the wireless bridge just a little (twisted it like 2 degrees from where it was sitting) and the device says 100% signal strength and 100% signal quality.
And it appears to be transferring now. We'll see.


Yeah, it's spotty at best.
I did transfer one 1hr show. dont know how long it actually took though.
I guess maybe its a positioning thing.

EDIT: UPDATE

I moved my wireless gateway a little higher and have solid signal.
I had to turn of the filtering to internet access to get the Tivos to touch each other reliably.

Anyone know if this will cause problems?

I transferred an episode of Battlestar Galactica from wired to wireless in ~24min
plenty of speed to FFW comercials

__________________
Beej

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch

Last edited by beej : 06-25-2005 at 03:30 PM.
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 04:22 AM   #75 (Print)
bengalfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej
I dont think my wife will let me punch any more holes in the walls!



Well, unless the above is sarcasm, we elected to keep the same number of holes and just make them more useful. You have to have wall access for the coaxial cables already running to your Tivos, you just replace the cover plate with modular 4 unit plates by Levitron. The ones I used had snap in connectors. I used two RG-6, and one cat5e, and one blank connector while still only using the single wall outlet. Now climbing up in the attic while it was 90 degrees outside was a whole seperate pleasure.

__________________
The Bengals and Tivo, life should have a few obsessions.
bengalfreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #76 (Print)
TivoWest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
When you do this:
Code:
ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o
I also suggest checking the /lib/modules directory to confirm than an entry for ax8817x.o shows up when you list the directory contents. Less finger crossing required that way.



Not there! now what?
TivoWest is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #77 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,734
Try these in order:

First make sure you are in the /lib/modules directory when you execute that command, and also confirm that you copied usbnet.o to that directory. Then confirm that the binary file "ln" is in your bin directory. Then confirm that the bin folder is in your PATH statement in your author file. Then try adding "./" before the "ln" in your command, like this
Code:
./ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o
Then try executing the command from within your bin directory, so navigate to bin and then try
Code:
./ln -s /lib/modules/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ax8817x.o
rbautch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 01:11 PM   #78 (Print)
BTUx9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 383
Send a message via AIM to BTUx9 Send a message via Yahoo to BTUx9
./ln shouldn't work from the lib/modules directory... try
Code:
/bin/ln -fs usbnet.o ax8817x.o
from within that directory. Remember that root needs to be mounted rewritable for any of this to work.

__________________
A Figment of his Own Imagination
BTUx9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 03:38 PM   #79 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Eugene, OR USA
Posts: 2,068
I trired using beej's steps up above. But the only way I could get ax8817x.o to show up when I did an "ls /lib/modules" was to use the command "ln -s /lib/modules/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ax8817x.o" instead of his ln command without the paths "expanded". ??
EDIT - DO NOT FOLLOW THIS POST - IT TOOK DOWN MY USB PORTS

Last edited by willardcpa : 06-26-2005 at 06:28 PM.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #80 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burke, VA (Washington, DC)
Posts: 212
Send a message via Yahoo to beej
Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
I trired using beej's steps up above. But the only way I could get ax8817x.o to show up when I did an "ls /lib/modules" was to use the command "ln -s /lib/modules/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ax8817x.o" instead of his ln command without the paths "expanded". ??


that's strange becasue I made my PATH statement based on the Gunny Unguide verbatim and I was able to type exactly what I wrote earlier.
Hope no one thinks I was misguiding them.

__________________
Beej

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 05:27 PM   #81 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Eugene, OR USA
Posts: 2,068
I didn't mean to imply you were misguiding anybody. But Gunny's unguide doesn't use an "ln -s" anywhere? I notice just above my last post that BTUx9 indicated that "Remember that root needs to be mounted rewritable for any of this to work.", (although that comment may be strictly pointed at his comments there). And that Gunny's unguide uses the "mount -o remount,rw /" command just before he goes to work via telnet and ftp. I tried using that but it wouldn't take, but later I noticed that I was putting a "." instead of a comma in the command. By that time I had already used the expanded path description I mentioned above (idea from Dellanaves 2.0 guide), and it worked. Later I will be applying it onto another box and will report back with results. Just maybe your Code needs to include the "mounted rewritable" command?? I'm still learning, so I may be all wet.
EDIT - DO NOT FOLLOW THIS POST - IT TOOK DOWN MY USB PORTS

Last edited by willardcpa : 06-26-2005 at 06:29 PM.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 06:13 PM   #82 (Print)
bnm81002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
I trired using beej's steps up above. But the only way I could get ax8817x.o to show up when I did an "ls /lib/modules" was to use the command "ln -s /lib/modules/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ax8817x.o" instead of his ln command without the paths "expanded". ??




just curious here, would this command do the samething as your command that you used:

ln -s /lib/modules/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ax8817x.o (your command)
ln -fs usbnet.o ax8817x.o (suggested command)


thanks

__________________
Philips DSR704(2 of these)
Pioneer DVR810H
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #83 (Print)
BTUx9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 383
Send a message via AIM to BTUx9 Send a message via Yahoo to BTUx9
People need to post what error they're encountering, because I think there are many different ones happening.

a "command not found" error indicates that PATH is set incorrectly... using /bin/ln instead of just ln should work (but the best thing would be to fix the PATH)

a "Read-only filesystem" error means you haven't mounted root rw, and should do so

unfortunately, the way ln works, it won't give an error if you make a mistake on what is being linked... for instance "ln usbnet.0 ax8817x.o" won't give an error, but won't work, either, (note the Zero instead of o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
ln -s /lib/modules/usbnet.o /lib/modules/ax8817x.o (your command)
ln -fs usbnet.o ax8817x.o (suggested command)

Either should work... the 2nd one requires that you cd /lib/modules before running it.
The 2 actually make different links (one is absolute, the other is relative) but functionally, it doesn't matter in this situation.

__________________
A Figment of his Own Imagination
BTUx9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 06:30 PM   #84 (Print)
bnm81002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9
Either should work... the 2nd one requires that you cd /lib/modules before running it.
The 2 actually make different links (one is absolute, the other is relative) but functionally, it doesn't matter in this situation.




can you please see my post #58 in this thread and let me know if that would be correct? thanks

__________________
Philips DSR704(2 of these)
Pioneer DVR810H
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 06:37 PM   #85 (Print)
BTUx9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 383
Send a message via AIM to BTUx9 Send a message via Yahoo to BTUx9
bnm81002: Those look like they should work, as long as root is mounted rw

__________________
A Figment of his Own Imagination
BTUx9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #86 (Print)
bnm81002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9
bnm81002: Those look like they should work, as long as root is mounted rw



really wanna make sure I get USB 2.0, so what root are you speaking about here?
do you mean in Gunnyman's guide, in Step 23(in order to us ftp):

mount -o remount,rw /


thanks again

__________________
Philips DSR704(2 of these)
Pioneer DVR810H
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 06:55 PM   #87 (Print)
BTUx9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 383
Send a message via AIM to BTUx9 Send a message via Yahoo to BTUx9
yes... unless you take actions to make it otherwise, root is mounted readonly... if you remount it read-write with that command, it stays that way until the next boot (unless you explicitly remount it readonly again).

Bottom line, run that command before you try to modify anything that's not under the /var directory because rerunning it doesn't hurt.

__________________
A Figment of his Own Imagination
BTUx9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #88 (Print)
bnm81002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9
yes... unless you take actions to make it otherwise, root is mounted readonly... if you remount it read-write with that command, it stays that way until the next boot (unless you explicitly remount it readonly again).

Bottom line, run that command before you try to modify anything that's not under the /var directory because rerunning it doesn't hurt.




thank you for all your help, so I will use the commands that I posted to get USB 2.0 speed

__________________
Philips DSR704(2 of these)
Pioneer DVR810H
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #89 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster
 
David Platt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,949
Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
I didn't mean to imply you were misguiding anybody. But Gunny's unguide doesn't use an "ln -s" anywhere?
That's because Gunny's guide doesn't have instructions for enabling USB 2.0. This is an entirely different subject than what the guide covers.
David Platt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2005, 09:08 PM   #90 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Eugene, OR USA
Posts: 2,068
I know, but he was referring to it when I was mainly concerned with the "ln -s" symlink command.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index