TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE
 


 

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

 
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 09:37 AM   #1 (Print)
j4k3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 30
$6.95 for your monthly tivo service?

j4k3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #2 (Print)
MikeMar
Me in Armenia + Flag
 
MikeMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 5,332
Send a message via AIM to MikeMar Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMar
Step 1, buy a tivo
Step 2, buy ANOTHER tivo

Then you get 1 for 6.95 on the multi thing right?

__________________
"Mike's Hard Lemonade - in honor of mikemar's new avatar" Waldingrl

"You got some crazy books going on there, you going to open up H and R Blockian?" The Shield about Armenian Mob
MikeMar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #3 (Print)
Rcrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,460
Haven't spent much time on EBay recently. How can they get away with a blatent scam like this?
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #4 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 15,855
Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
In the past some people have called customer service to cancel their service, and customer service will offer them 1/2 price to stay.

However, that was a while ago, and I haven't heard anyone else doing it recently.

I would never do it b/c I always buy liftime, and I think it's obnoxious. Also, there is always the danger of them just cancelling your service, and then where are you?
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #5 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
In the past some people have called customer service to cancel their service, and customer service will offer them 1/2 price to stay.

However, that was a while ago, and I haven't heard anyone else doing it recently.

I would never do it b/c I always buy liftime, and I think it's obnoxious. Also, there is always the danger of them just cancelling your service, and then where are you?


well he said tons of people and that could be 4000 lbs /180 avg. weight = 22 people who were blatant enough to call and get a reduced price.

what value this forum provides, the info was here for free all along
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 12:26 PM   #6 (Print)
hitbyatrain
Your Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin
Posts: 369
Yeah, this is just shameless. And at least one person has already purchased the "information." I know that there have been countless threads on this "technique." Calling to get a better price by threatening to "cancel" is incredibly dishonest.
hitbyatrain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #7 (Print)
4inziksych
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,009
I don't understand why, but TIVO has only charged me $6.95 for the last two months. At first I thought it was some sort of general rebate for the upgrade problems, but it happened again. I never called them or anything, they just started on their own.
4inziksych is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #8 (Print)
Fixer
Tech Whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great Republic of Texas!
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyatrain
...I know that there have been countless threads on this "technique." Calling to get a better price by threatening to "cancel" is incredibly dishonest.


Dishonest?? Dude, have you ever negotiated lower rates on a credit card, or haggled for a car?? It's a perfectly legitimate business technique. You know, "take my offer or I walk!" The customer should have a bit of say in the end deal, don't you think? I bet you dollars to donuts MORE folks would do it if they didn't have lifetime service. I applaud those that actually go through with it to get a better rate. It just shows that TiVo needs their current customer base more than ever.

BTW, has TiVo actually cancelled anyone's service, and if so, why??
Fixer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #9 (Print)
hitbyatrain
Your Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer
Dishonest?? Dude, have you ever negotiated lower rates on a credit card, or haggled for a car?? It's a perfectly legitimate business technique. You know, "take my offer or I walk!" The customer should have a bit of say in the end deal, don't you think? I bet you dollars to donuts MORE folks would do it if they didn't have lifetime service. I applaud those that actually go through with it to get a better rate. It just shows that TiVo needs their current customer base more than ever.

BTW, has TiVo actually cancelled anyone's service, and if so, why??


The dishonest part is calling to threaten the cancelling of service without any intention of doing so--just to get a lower rate. That's the definition. Some of us have ethics.
hitbyatrain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 06:16 PM   #10 (Print)
SeanC
ECT
 
SeanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Franklin, MA
Posts: 2,408
Send a message via ICQ to SeanC Send a message via AIM to SeanC Send a message via MSN to SeanC Send a message via Yahoo to SeanC
Whatever buddy. I think your ethics meter is just a wee bit miscalibrated. Bargining for a lower rate is not dishonest.

__________________
I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most.

-Dwight Schrute
SeanC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #11 (Print)
mikey94025
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 37
Bargaining is not dishonesty especially if the seller/provider is known to work that way. You often have to suggest or threaten to do things like walk out when buying an automobile, take another job when negotiating the salary at your current position, etc. This is just the way things work and some would believe that you are being taken advantage of if you don't choose to play the game this way.

Imagine if it were known that you could go to Circuit City and buy a TV for 10% off, pretty much just by asking. Then, it isn't "dishonest" to tell them that unless they give you 10% off, you're going to walk over to Good Guys and buy the TV from someone else even if you don't have any intention of doing so. In fact, you can indeed do this at Circuit City so I recommend that no one ever pay full price for a TV there.

What's unfortunate is that most industries do not operate by negotiation like the above but now we all know that Tivo monthly service fees is now one that does. For instance, if Telephone or Cable or Netflix monthly rates were negotiable then more people would be bargaining for them and the people paying list/full price might feel upset that the business was now run that way. For a long time, Tivo was run with fixed rates and therefore this situation did not exist. Now, they've apparently decided to allow for negotiation rather than drop the price for everyone as Netflix recently did when they needed to become more competitive.

Tivo has chosen the route of forcing their customers to decide for themselves whether to negotiate or not . Don't criticize someone for negotiating a lower rate than yourself anymore than you would criticize someone who pays less than you for the same automobile (especially if you chose to pay sticker price). It's just how it's done now.
mikey94025 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 07:46 PM   #12 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
actually the people who negotiated the lower rate broke a business rule by having to brag about it here. Now that TiVo knows that more people are calling in just to try and drop the rate the anecdotal info is that TiVo now calls your bluff.
info is power and it says something about the people who first posted here they got TiVo to drop the rate. they simply wnated to hurt TiVo for some perceived wrong they felt. It was not negotiation but simply a way to strike back.

and how would you feel if you paid for this info on Ebay
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 08:13 PM   #13 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 15,855
Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
If you have no plans on cancelling, you are dishonest. But whatev.

Buy yourself a supersize big mac value meal with that extra $6, and rejoice in your cunning, knowning that you successfully pulled one over on the evil money grubbing corp that is Tivo.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 08:58 PM   #14 (Print)
Kanyon71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
If you have no plans on cancelling, you are dishonest. But whatev.

Buy yourself a supersize big mac value meal with that extra $6, and rejoice in your cunning, knowning that you successfully pulled one over on the evil money grubbing corp that is Tivo.


You know they are not willing to cancel HOW? People here seem to assume an awful lot.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 PM   #15 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
You know they are not willing to cancel HOW? People here seem to assume an awful lot.


uummmmmm, the topic is about cutting the monthly payment on your first TiVo to 6.95 by calling and saying you are cancelling service and then talking TiVo to the lower rate. Seems a safe assumption that cancelling service is not the goal in this case.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 11:02 PM   #16 (Print)
Philly Bill
Outsider :)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hadley Apennine
Posts: 1,625
Send a message via AIM to Philly Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Philly Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyatrain
The dishonest part is calling to threaten the cancelling of service without any intention of doing so--just to get a lower rate. That's the definition. Some of us have ethics.


I disagree. There's nothing unethical about it at all.

You do the same thing when you go in to buy a car. Or when you call DTV to get a better deal when you renew your subscription.

That's like saying its unethical to sign up to CBS DVD club and get 7 DVDs for 40 cents then going and fullfilling your commitment by buying one or two more then quitting and joining again just to get 7 more DVD's for 40 cents.

It's just business. TIVO can just say 'ok, see ya'.
Philly Bill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-19-2005, 11:17 PM   #17 (Print)
DrStrange
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 1,326
I would say that while it may only be ethically shady to threaten to cancel Tivo service to get them to give you a lower rate, selling that suggestion on eBay definitely crosses into low-life scum territory.
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 12:02 AM   #18 (Print)
smak
Registered User
 
smak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Studio City, CA USA
Posts: 7,432
I don't think this is really that hard a question.

If you have no intention of cancelling service, when you say you're going to cancel service, you're lying.

It may be fine to lie to get a better deal, but don't try to make it seem like it's standard business practice.

You have no other choice to buy tivo monthly service, except from Tivo. You can buy a Ford at any Ford dealer. You can buy a Sony TV from any electronics store. Does it really matter what bank your credit card is from, if it's the lowest rate?

In those cases, there could be a shred of truth to your threats to go elsewhere, because you may be actually find a legitimate better price.

Hopefully they'll just call people's bluffs in the future, because after all, they are just bluffing.

-smak-

__________________
Comptroller - TivoShanan fan club

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 01:41 AM   #19 (Print)
Rcrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,460
So, after all that discussion, is there an answer to:

Is This Stealing?
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 01:57 AM   #20 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy
 
Turtleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 15,855
Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
You know they are not willing to cancel HOW? People here seem to assume an awful lot.


I know because that's what we're talking about. People threatening to cancel to get a lower rate.

Not people actually wanting to cancel.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 05:35 AM   #21 (Print)
Fixer
Tech Whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great Republic of Texas!
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
I don't think this is really that hard a question.

If you have no intention of cancelling service, when you say you're going to cancel service, you're lying.

It may be fine to lie to get a better deal, but don't try to make it seem like it's standard business practice.

It's not lying, it's called bartering. You haggle for a lower rate, plain and simple. If they truely value you as a customer they'll oblige. It's been a part of trading ever since man came into existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
You have no other choice to buy tivo monthly service, except from Tivo. You can buy a Ford at any Ford dealer. You can buy a Sony TV from any electronics store. Does it really matter what bank your credit card is from, if it's the lowest rate?

In those cases, there could be a shred of truth to your threats to go elsewhere, because you may be actually find a legitimate better price.

No, you're wrong. TiVo DOES have competition, just like everyone else, which is why they're willing to lower the rate. I bet if you did a random survey (not in this forum of course), you'll find that most TiVo owners bought one just to record television; nothing more, nothing less. With cable co.s rolling out DVRs, satellite providers offering their own brand of the same, Microsoft Media Centers getting better, and a plethora of other DVR/PVR solutions beginning to pop up, TiVo WILL lose any dominance it thinks it has in the DVR market. It's a dog-eat-dog world, so why can't the end-user get in a little nip every-now-and-again??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
Hopefully they'll just call people's bluffs in the future, because after all, they are just bluffing.

That's quite possible considering that both sides have nothing to lose. The customer wanting the lower rate can just sell the box, and the person that bought it will become a new TiVo subscriber.
Fixer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 05:48 AM   #22 (Print)
Fixer
Tech Whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great Republic of Texas!
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
I know because that's what we're talking about. People threatening to cancel to get a lower rate.

Not people actually wanting to cancel.

Folks that actually want to cancel will get the "what can we do to keep you as customer?" speech anyway. On the other hand, TiVo can gamble, hoping to call any "bluff", and tell the customer "see ya". Why would they want to take the risk and bad publicity that may result?
Fixer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #23 (Print)
TiVotion
Misanthropic Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 201
First off, everyone who thinks the practice of deliberately informing TiVo that you intend to cancel, when you have no intention of doing so, is dishonest. Call it whatever you want, justify it however you want. Whatever. It's really quite simple - if you're so cheap that you need to go to the trouble to call up TiVo with a fake ruse to save $6 a month, that's pretty sad.

Is it stealing? I guess you wouldn't define it as such, if TiVo agrees to give it to you for that rate. Stealing would be taking it with no payment whatsover, obviously unbeknownst to TiVo.

It's not TiVo's problem to have to determine who is calling to legitimately cancel for any reason, and who is lying to bluff a lower rate. In all cases, TiVo should cancel the account and thank them for their business up to that point. In fact, congratulate them, because when they cancel, the cheap asses will be saving even MORE money. Cancellations come and go, just like new service activations. A new customer will be along shortly. There's no bad publicity for TiVo. People cancel all the time. No one really cares.

The price of the service is what it is. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

__________________
Pioneer DVR-810H
TiVo Series 2 140hr
TiVotion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #24 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario Canada.
Posts: 7,949
The DVD club thing, you obligation is up, you are very free to leave.

WithTiVo, the price isn't bartering, which is actual negotation of price and terms, which I don't think a CSR is equipped or authorised to handle. Lying to get the 6.95 rate is not bartering.

__________________
TCD240080, 160 GB HDD.
FC3 Linux box running Galleon.
TiVo desktop on XP machine.
classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #25 (Print)
Test
Register User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 809
i was getting one of my tivos at a monthly discounted price of 6.95 (multi tivo), they asked what they could do to keep me...i said nothing but free service would do and they were more then happy to oblige...

kidding, but for real, i guess if the unhappy customer actually means it and wants to cancel to get another service tivo should do what they can to keep them, but maybe lowering the price isnt the right thing to do...maybe a few months free? i dont know but offering a cheaper price for service is a slap in the face to those that dont call and complain...if tivo really thinks their service is only worth 6.95 it should be that price across the board...

actually somthing like this just happened to me, i signed up with cingular cell service...got a nice blackberry paying a high monthly price and 10 days after i got the phone it started rebooting, dropping calls.......i would call cingular and they would say its bb call their service, i would call them and they would say its the service...blablabla so finally i call cingular and say what are you going to do to fix the problem? i can cancel right now its within my 30 days buyers remorse...and the guy actually says...nothing...i was like wha wha wha WHAT...i even remember his name like ROBIN WILLIAMS but no in...so i said ok, im cancelling...end of story....

so long story short, tivo can handle it how they want...and its not dishonest or stealing if you actually call to cancel and they convince you to stay...maybe its not stealing but it def is lame if you call up and LIE just to get a cheaper price for a service you were ok with to pay 12 a month before you ever heard of their deals...

edit: actually yea its dishonest...your not being honest with them...isnt that the def of dishonest?

Last edited by Test : 06-20-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #26 (Print)
Fixer
Tech Whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great Republic of Texas!
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
WithTiVo, the price isn't bartering, which is actual negotation of price and terms, which I don't think a CSR is equipped or authorised to handle.

"I'll transfer you to my supervisor. One moment please"

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
Lying to get the 6.95 rate is not bartering.

Where is this "lying" stigma coming from? Some people negotiate prices for services all of the time. However, most folks don't care to go through the hassle or don't even know it can be done. That kind of customer/business relationship has always been there. Folks are so accustomed to paying "sticker price" that they don't know any other way. There are books and web sites that actually teach how to negotiate prices for common, everyday services and goods (not just cars, jewelry, and appliances). The nay-sayers should try the technique sometime. You'd be surprised at the discounts and free addons you can get.

Like I said, I applaud those that make the effort to tell TiVo there are other options, but they would like to stay with TiVo if possible. This way, the client-business relationship remains harmonious.
Fixer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #27 (Print)
Test
Register User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixer
"I'll transfer you to my supervisor. One moment please"


Where is this "lying" stigma coming from? Some people negotiate prices for services all of the time. However, most folks don't care to go through the hassle or don't even know it can be done. That kind of customer/business relationship has always been there. Folks are so accustomed to paying "sticker price" that they don't know any other way. There are books and web sites that actually teach how to negotiate prices for common, everyday services and goods (not just cars, jewelry, and appliances). The nay-sayers should try the technique sometime. You'd be surprised at the discounts and free addons you can get.

Like I said, I applaud those that make the effort to tell TiVo there are other options, but they would like to stay with TiVo if possible. This way, the client-business relationship remains harmonious.



its "LYING" when you say...im CANCELLING service if i dont get somthing out of this deal, that i was ok with and agreed to when i signed up...

no intention of cancelling = lying to get cheaper service which = dishonesty but not stealing...
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 10:08 AM   #28 (Print)
Stormspace
Disruptive Influence
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 897
Send a message via AIM to Stormspace
There's a tendency in modern times to just look at a price tag and pay the asking price or move on. Most people are conditioned to do just that as well, but the cold hard reality is that price on the tag is the suggested price. Sometimes you can get a better price by asking, sometimes not, and sometimes it's just not worth the bother. TiVo is under no obligation to sell their service at a discount, and if they decide to offer one to a disgruntled customer it's their right.

It's not being dishonest or stealing to want a better price and to use the bargaining points you have. The fact that TiVo has allowed this indicates that they realize the service cost is too much and are willing to make concessions for certain people.

__________________
180hr Series 2
w/Blitzz BWU613 NetWave Point USB
80hr Series 2
w/linksys WUSB11 USB Adapter
Galleon 2.1 on 260GB WIN2000

"No daddy, it's a 181 hour tivo" - Margaret
Stormspace is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #29 (Print)
ACraigL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 398
I took a good, hard look at my cable bill a few months ago, and decided that $120 dollars a month was just too much to pay for cable tv (digital cable, 1 premium channel) and internet access. I called my cable company and told them so. They suggested I drop the pay channel. Sure, $8 less a month, big deal.

I suggested I would like to see what the pricing is for satellite. I was told to "hang-on" for a retention specialist. Before I knew it, I was offered digital cable for $39.99/month and internet access for $20/month for 1 year. So now, without any real fight or deception, I pay 59.99 for both. 1/2 off and $720 dollars in my pocket. A pretty good phone call if you asked me.

Not sure of the lesson here, but I think many services are negotiable. I did when I hired a landscaper, cement contractor, and now cable. And all after I received a pricing schedule. I'm not saying you should lie to get what you want, but I think it is in your best interest to let the service provider know that you are unhappy and that there may be alternatives for you.

You may not think $6/month is a lot ($72 annually), but consider that I changed my cable, switched to Vonage and lowered my cellphone plan -- now I'm saving almost $2000 a year. I like it in my pocket a whole lot more than giving it away, that's for sure.

__________________
  • TiVO Series 2 155 hrs > BuffaloTech WLI2-TX1-G54
  • Humax Series 2 80 hrs > Netgear WGE101NA
  • Harmony H688
Archos PMA430 Tips and Tutorials
ACraigL is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-20-2005, 10:15 AM   #30 (Print)
Test
Register User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace
It's not being dishonest or stealing to want a better price and to use the bargaining points you have. The fact that TiVo has allowed this indicates that they realize the service cost is too much and are willing to make concessions for certain people.


hey if you can call tivo and say i want to barter...i would like to negotiate a better price for my service...and they actually talk to you about it...more power to ya...

but thats not the topic (at least thats what i got from it)...its about calling to get a cheaper price under false pretense...ie a threat of cancelling the service...edit: when you dont really want to cancel
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
 
Forum Jump
Thread Tools

Go Back  TiVo Community Archive2 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C)opyright - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not affiliated with TiVo Inc.


Spider History Index