Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-30-2005, 10:08 AM   #1 (Print)
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Better than TiVoToGo? - SlingBox Available Today!

The much anticipated SlingBox by SlingMedia is available today at CompUSA and BestBuy. They have a new website up that will give all the real details.

http://www.slingmedia.com/

The SlingMedia folks seem to be big TiVo fans so it will interesting to see how well is works/controls your TiVo box. Will "placeshifting" be better than TiVoToGo? Could be, depending on your your situation. With TiVoToGo you have to copy huge files around your network and storing those files is not cheap. With the SlingBox I can stream/control my TiVo box and have access to all my content from anywhere inside and outside my home. Cool stuff, I can't wait to get my hands on one.

TiVo Series2(140hr) Placeshifted with Slingbox!
W Auggie H is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 10:38 AM   #2 (Print)
seanzilla

this sounds good.. but how much will a signal degrade if i go from satelite--to--tivo---to---slingbox--to--router...
windows media center with a terrabyte of network storage, and a gigabit router is starting to look like a much better option!!!!!!
when will consumers get what they want, not what directv wants to provide!!!

maybe build a freevo box with a free-to-air card
http://freevo.sourceforge.net/about.html

sorry......just getting frustrated
sean
seanzilla is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 11:31 AM   #3 (Print)
jmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzilla
maybe build a freevo box with a free-to-air card
http://freevo.sourceforge.net/about.html
If you find a "free-to-air" card with a cardslot/cam that's supported by Directv or Dish.....

well, I can dream, can't I?
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 12:04 PM   #4 (Print)
Stanley Rohner

There's a TV commercial I saw the other night for it with Carl from SLINGBLADE.
Stanley Rohner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #5 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

I have been following the slingbox since finding an arcane reference to it about 6 months ago. It is a very cool concept.

now as to the better than TiVoToGo question - don't forget you need a strong internet conenction where you are as well. For instance I put a bunch of shows on my laptop before going on vacation. The place I stayed had no internet conenction and a poor quality phone line for my dialup from my laptop. I think having the shows on my laptop worked better in this case.

My smartphone has an internet conenction and I do use unlimited service plan but it is not exactly blazing fast either. now it is a small LCD screen so I would be interested to see how slingbox works on my phone, but still think that having the show file on my SD card in the phone is probably going to be better still.

of course this is all about bandwidth and not so much about a slingbox problem

interesting that you can remotely control the TiVo via a PC. I assume that is not anywhere near so bandwidth intensive. Tie this into HME apps and it gets an interesting synergy. Not sure it is 250$ worth of synergy though.

anyone that gets one please give us a review
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 12:47 PM   #6 (Print)
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo

now as to the better than TiVoToGo question - don't forget you need a strong internet conenction where you are as well. For instance I put a bunch of shows on my laptop before going on vacation. The place I stayed had no internet conenction and a poor quality phone line for my dialup from my laptop. I think having the shows on my laptop worked better in this case.

I agree, in that situation TiVoToGo is well suited. There is much power in the ability to control my TiVo remotely. If I understand it correctly you will be able to navigate your TiVo box just as if you were there. I will wait and see on that but if it is true that could really be useful. Here is a site that is currently doing a review.

http://www.slingbox411.com

Old 06-30-2005, 12:52 PM   #7 (Print)
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

PCMag has a review with video showing the SlingBox controlling a TiVo!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1833043,00.asp

Old 06-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #8 (Print)
TreborPugly
Unreal!

This picture seems to indicate that you can hook up your DVR to EITHER the TV or the Slingbox. There doesn't seem to be a pass-through to the TV. That could be a pain....

Old 06-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #9 (Print)
W Auggie H
Tivo Enthusiast

There is a pass-through. I just watched the video on PCMag.com where they demonstrated using SlingBox to control the TiVo remotely. They had both the TV and the laptop with the stream running at the same time side-by-side. It controls the TiVo with an IR Blaster of all things.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #10 (Print)
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Well, you can set up a line split or use different outputs to get both the TV and the Slingbox working, even if there isn't a pass through. The image from their web site sure looks like they are indicating either/or connection... (No line from the Slingbox to the TV, just a ghosted line from the DVR to the TV)

Old 06-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #11 (Print)
Rangers4me
The One and Only

It is so expensive. Go to orb.com and get a similar functionality with a tv tuner card, for free.

The Shave-My sacrifice for a Rangers playoff appearance.

Now lets win a game!
Rangers4me is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 01:55 PM   #12 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly
Well, you can set up a line split or use different outputs to get both the TV and the Slingbox working, even if there isn't a pass through. The image from their web site sure looks like they are indicating either/or connection... (No line from the Slingbox to the TV, just a ghosted line from the DVR to the TV)

Not that it really matters with a TiVo since they have two outputs anyway.

I read a review of this thing in PC Magazine and they said that the quality of the video was very poor.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #13 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

I think you can hook the DVR to both the slingbox and the TV 'if' you have two active outputs on the DVR. Good ole TiVo.

now my big wishlist item is for the slingbox to broadcast to all my TVs on the house as well as PCs and all. Then I would see more use in the box. if it could pump out into the coax on some channel then it would do the double duty and people start thinking the 250$ is buying them many functions. I spent 120$ on AVcast to broadcast two TiVos around. I would have thought pretty hard about slingbox if it could pass the video around my coax as well as over the etherent.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #14 (Print)
That Don Guy

Am I reading the ad copy right, in that you can stream (for lack of a more appropriate term for it) a TV show being broadcast in one city over the Internet to a TV (with another SlingBox) in another city? How soon before the NFL legal department gets, say, a judge in Los Angeles who is still mad that the Raiders moved back to Oakland and thinks the current NFL blackout policy which keeps Raiders home games off of pretty much every TV in northern California is a good idea to put out an order banning sales of SlingBoxes until the NFL's problem (and they have made it quite clear in the past that the blackout rule will be enforced) can be addressed?

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 03:06 PM   #15 (Print)
Greenwing
Can't beat HDTV

Quote:
now my big wishlist item is for the slingbox to broadcast to all my TVs on the house as well as PCs and all. Then I would see more use in the box.

Yeah...I agree it would be a much more useful gizmo if you could have it output to coax as well...Who wants a PC in every room?
Greenwing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #16 (Print)
tivoknucklehead

an article in todays Wall St Journal gave it rave reviews and said video quality was very good, better than streaming internet video
tivoknucklehead is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #17 (Print)
Greenwing
Can't beat HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
I read a review of this thing in PC Magazine and they said that the quality of the video was very poor. Dan

PCMag.com (linked too previously) says this:

"Though the need for a special applet seems like a drawback, it's also Slingbox's strength, because the algorithms in the proprietary software do a first-class job of providing remarkably good video quality. It's markedly better than any streaming webcast sports event or news feed. If you've got a solid broadband signal, picture quality is roughly on a par with a good videotape recording."
Greenwing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #18 (Print)
Sam FT

I really wish future TiVo would have this as a feature, because this is alot better than TiVo2Go. Cut down on time having to convert a show to mpg file. Unless you are wanting to save the file to beginning with.
Sam FT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #19 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam FT
I really wish future TiVo would have this as a feature, because this is alot better than TiVo2Go. Cut down on time having to convert a show to mpg file. Unless you are wanting to save the file to beginning with.

then why not buy a l slingbox and hook up to the TiVo now ?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #20 (Print)
kensteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy
Am I reading the ad copy right, in that you can stream (for lack of a more appropriate term for it) a TV show being broadcast in one city over the Internet to a TV (with another SlingBox) in another city? How soon before the NFL legal department gets, say, a judge in Los Angeles who is still mad that the Raiders moved back to Oakland and thinks the current NFL blackout policy which keeps Raiders home games off of pretty much every TV in northern California is a good idea to put out an order banning sales of SlingBoxes until the NFL's problem (and they have made it quite clear in the past that the blackout rule will be enforced) can be addressed?

-- Don

What is the possiblity that this device might be pulled from the market for copyright or other issues?
kensteele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 09:57 PM   #21 (Print)
KenW

It can only handle one stream at a time, and it's point to point. Unless and until it's hacked, I think they are OK. Even then, the only concern would be recording, and you don't need a Slingbox for that.
KenW is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2005, 09:59 PM   #22 (Print)
KenW

By the way, you can see the WSJ review at the ptech site now:
http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html
KenW is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2005, 01:30 AM   #23 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwing
PCMag.com (linked too previously) says this:

"Though the need for a special applet seems like a drawback, it's also Slingbox's strength, because the algorithms in the proprietary software do a first-class job of providing remarkably good video quality. It's markedly better than any streaming webcast sports event or news feed. If you've got a solid broadband signal, picture quality is roughly on a par with a good videotape recording."

Maybe it was PC World. I can't remember I get a dozen or so tech magazines.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2005, 08:59 AM   #24 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensteele
What is the possiblity that this device might be pulled from the market for copyright or other issues?

for the reasons KenW mentioned about it being one stream point to point.

the NFL will get into new territory here. Someone feeding a bar or a freind in a balckout area the NFL game should be illegal but the slingbox is not promoting that and not really made to induce that type of behavior. No different than someone with windows MCE and setting up a stream to some otehr place, except the slingbox makes it easy. MCE is obviosuly not just about illegal streaming feeds and neither is slingbox.

the new territory though is the slingbox which advertises itself as a box to stream your "personal TV" to you. so what about a traveller watching a game in the blackoput area from his persoanl TV setup at home outside the blackout area ?
Common sense says that should be alright and would the NFL go after that type of behavior anyhow?

I imagine there is no COAX or other type of out on the slingbox to ensure the one stream to one place using the servlet with password to show they are all about a personal video stream and not a rebroadcast to a larger audience
Old 07-01-2005, 09:07 AM   #25 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Two problems with the Slingbox for me, at least initially...
1. The video player is only for WindowsXP at the moment, which means no TV at work.
2. No USB wireless option without buying a bridge and adding another AC cable.

Oh yeah, another IR blaster solution - ick. To SlingBox IR's to Tivo who IR's to Digitcal Cable box? Meanwhile neighborhood cats get brain cancer from all the signals in the air.

Being able to access live TV or better yet, all my Tivo content from anywhere anytime is a very nifty concept though! Has anyone found any screenshots of the PC software? I wonder what it looks like...
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #26 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Two problems with the Slingbox for me, at least initially...
1. The video player is only for WindowsXP at the moment, which means no TV at work.
2. No USB wireless option without buying a bridge and adding another AC cable.

1. video players on windows 2000 and windows 9x are significantly harder than players on XP. Good players exist for those OSes but slingbox had lots to do in that servlet and having XP only probably makes things a whole lot easier and let them meet the release to market date.

2. How ironic that slingbox is getting knocked for not having a USB port and only ethernet in the TiVo forum
Old 07-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #27 (Print)
lawprof

How to connect wirelessly to router?

My Tivo is in another part of my house than my wireless router. The diagram suggests only an ethernet connection. How does one connect wirelessly to the router? I already own a D-Link DWL-800AP+ Wi-fi Range Extender that has an ethernet port. Would this enable 2-way communication with my router? (From the description, it seems like the ethernet connection is for when the unit is used for wireless access.)

I was on my way out the door to buy the slingbox until I noticed this potential hitch. Surely very few people have their Tivos in the same room as their wireless routers.

PS: Now that I think about it, given its intended use, it is sort of amazing that the Slingbox did not contain built in wi-fi for connecting to a wireless network.

This link contains the answer to my question for anyone else who may be interested.

http://portal.knowledgebase.net/dis...068&r=0.5294001

Last edited by lawprof : 07-01-2005 at 01:06 PM.
lawprof is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #28 (Print)
davezatz
[...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawprof
I was on my way out the door to buy the slingbox until I noticed this potential hitch. Surely very few people have their Tivos in the same room as their wireless routers.

PS: Now that I think about it, given its intended use, it is sort of amazing that the Slingbox did not contain build in wi-fi for connecting to a wireless network.

Not sure about your device (don't think so...) but any "Wireless Bridge" or one of those devices marketed as a wireless video game adpator will do the trick. The box will join your network and take the data off of the ethernet cable to beam it onward - or receive wireless data and send it over the ethernet cable to the SB. It'll add another 50 bucks or so to the cost of your SlingBox and require more clutter.
davezatz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #29 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawprof
My Tivo is in another part of my house than my wireless router. The diagram suggests only an ethernet connection. How does one connect wirelessly to the router? I already own a D-Link DWL-800AP+ Wi-fi Range Extender that has an ethernet port. Would this enable 2-way communication with my router? (From the description, it seems like the ethernet connection is for when the unit is used for wireless access.)

PS: Now that I think about it, given its intended use, it is sort of amazing that the Slingbox did not contain built in wi-fi for connecting to a wireless network.

This link contains the answer to my question for anyone else who may be interested.

http://portal.knowledgebase.net/dis...068&r=0.5294001

think about the fact that the slingbox is trying to STREAM data in realtime. a wireless connection could have interference and require stopping to resend packets. it could slow things down and thus induce the slingbox to higher compression and lower quality video.

do a search on MRV and wireless in these forums. People have widely varying results with wireless and copying shows from one TiVo to another.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #30 (Print)
freddyf

Quote:
2. How ironic that slingbox is getting knocked for not having a USB port and only ethernet in the TiVo forum

Yes, next they'll be complaining about the lack of a monthly fee.
freddyf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post