July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2005, 05:40 AM   #91 (Print)
Graymalkin
Halfwit Pundit

Send a message via AIM to Graymalkin
I would love to come, but as Friday, Sept. 30, and Monday, Oct. 3, are two of the eight days in the year that I absolutely have to be at work, there's no way I can make it.

Darn calendar quarters!
Graymalkin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #92 (Print)
edhara
Healing

Send a message via ICQ to edhara Send a message via AIM to edhara Send a message via Yahoo to edhara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
My head is hurtily

My fingers are funnily!

Online gig calendar! - updated Feb. 12th
edhara is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #93 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhara
My fingers are funnily!
Perhaps they'd be better off if they were speedily. As in, speedily going to travelocity and buying yourself a plane ticket to get the heck out here.

You have an offer for taxi-ing. You have an offer for lodging. So I fail to understand your hesitation here, bub. You even have have a Samsaraly looking forward to your return lovingly.

In other words.... c'mon.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:33 PM   #94 (Print)
WinBear
Still Unwritten

Send a message via ICQ to WinBear Send a message via AIM to WinBear Send a message via Yahoo to WinBear
My maybe is now a definitely. My out of town thing got the date nailed down and it's a couple of weeks before then.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #95 (Print)
cancermatt
No Pop Culture Here.

Send a message via AIM to cancermatt Send a message via Yahoo to cancermatt
Wow, a serenity shindig! Place me on the maybe list, but only if I get to crash at Skittles'!

And find a cheap flight!
cancermatt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #96 (Print)
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Send a message via AIM to tfederov
What exactly is a firefly? Just kidding. We'll be in Michigan that weekend or I'd be there. Still need to rent the series too.....

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250
tfederov is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2005, 04:35 AM   #97 (Print)
Peter000
Unregistered User

Send a message via AIM to Peter000
Quote:
Consider it corrected.

*angelic smile*

Thankee. And I've often wondered what it would feel like to be the bottom. Now I know.

So, more info is in order. What theater in Dallas are we patronizing? Still planning on the Cinemark Legacy? Is there one hotel at which most people are staying? I'd like to avoid a car rental if possible. Actually, like most, I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible.

Looking at a Yahoo map of the theater, there's a couple of hotels near there... an Amerihost and Hilton Garden Inn.

Or should we plan to stay closer to another home base, such as Skittles' or where ever?
Peter000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2005, 05:44 AM   #98 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000
Thankee. And I've often wondered what it would feel like to be the bottom. Now I know.

So, more info is in order. What theater in Dallas are we patronizing? Still planning on the Cinemark Legacy? Is there one hotel at which most people are staying? I'd like to avoid a car rental if possible. Actually, like most, I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible.

Looking at a Yahoo map of the theater, there's a couple of hotels near there... an Amerihost and Hilton Garden Inn.

Or should we plan to stay closer to another home base, such as Skittles' or where ever?
The theater is, tentatively, the Cinemark Legacy. If there's going to be a DLP showing, that's where it will be, but even if there's not it's one of the nicer theaters nearby. The only reason I'd imagine changing that is if folks asked for another theater, or if it's playing in IMAX. But it's not set in stone, in case anyone wants to recommend another place (Studio Movie Grill, perhaps?)

As of right now, the only hotel suggestion I'd thrown out is the Richardson Hotel, since their rate was so cheap through Hotels.com ($80 per night) and it's one of the nicer hotels nearby. If that pricetag is too high, I can find you something else nearby. You don't have to stay by me if you don't want to.... ideally, you just need a hotel that's in the Richardson or Galleria area. If you're in Richardson, I and a few other people should have no problem playing Taxi for you... same with the Galleria. Most hotel sites will specify if a hotel is close to the Galleria or Richardson. Best thing to do is just check with one of us locals and we can tell you how close you'd be to everything.

Last edited by Skittles : 07-12-2005 at 05:55 AM.
Skittles is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #99 (Print)
pantess

Dallas/Serenity

Hello again and to those of you who don't know me, I am Skittles mom. Just wanted to let you know that you are all welcome at my house the weekend of September 30th. I had a great time when you guys were here last October and hope to see your smiling faces soon. Besides I am running low in the "hugs" department. So come join us for LOTS of laughs, food, drinking and FUN! Till then take are of yourselves, xoxoxo
pantess is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #100 (Print)
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Skittles & pantess,

I'm planning on making a Costco run before the party and pick up some soft drinks, etc. Is there anything specific you would like me to pick up?

If there are others that want to pitch in, we can pool our bucks and save a little on snacks and goodies for the party.

This is the Costco I use: http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Loc...x?Warehouse=684

"easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841"
StanSimmons is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #101 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons
Skittles & pantess,

I'm planning on making a Costco run before the party and pick up some soft drinks, etc. Is there anything specific you would like me to pick up?

If there are others that want to pitch in, we can pool our bucks and save a little on snacks and goodies for the party.

This is the Costco I use: http://www.costco.com/Warehouse/Loc...x?Warehouse=684

Yeah, we will definitely have to organize soda and snacks as we get closer to the event. We also need to figure out when we're doing the movie, and when we're doing the potluck (if the potluck/game day is on a Saturday, I'll go ahead and pick up a chicken nugget tray from Chik-Fil-A)

Old 07-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #102 (Print)
pantess

It might be easier if Skittles and I do a Cosco/Sam's Club run and everyone just chip in what they can. I know that money it tight for all of us but, since we will be buying in bulk we will get a better cost savings. Just give us some ideas of what your favorite nibbles/grazing foods are (no ear lobes please) and we will make a food run. This way all ya'll have to do is bring your favorite drinks. Skittles Mom.....
pantess is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #103 (Print)
AJRitz
BCLF Generalissimo

Send a message via AIM to AJRitz Send a message via Yahoo to AJRitz
How's the Westin Galleria as far as location goes? With my government rate, it's about the same price as the Richardson Hotel, but it's got Heavenly Beds and I get points.
AJRitz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #104 (Print)
Hippster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz
How's the Westin Galleria as far as location goes? With my government rate, it's about the same price as the Richardson Hotel, but it's got Heavenly Beds and I get points.

Nice hotel...

Right on the corner of LBJ (I-635) and the Tollway. Takes 10-15 minutes to get over to the Richardson/Plano area from there on a good traffic day.
Hippster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #105 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
That's pretty close... close enough where you're only a few minutes away from everyone.

Out of curiosity, how's your rate on the Westin Park Central Dallas? It's a few miles closer and may be a bit cheaper.

(Although, the Westin Galleria is actually located inside the Galleria, which is kinda cool)

Old 07-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #106 (Print)
AJRitz
BCLF Generalissimo

I can get the same rate at either hotel - it's based on the federal government per diem rates. Interestingly, it might even be a few dollars cheaper than I thought. The per diem in Dallas for Christmas through September is $8 more than it is from October through Christmas. And the reservation should be for one day at each rate.

Either way, it's a pretty ridiculously low $96/night (even at the more expensive rate). Is the Park Central closer enough that it's worth changing the reservation, or is the Galleria cool enough to stay there?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:05 PM   #107 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
I can get the same rate at either hotel - it's based on the federal government per diem rates. Interestingly, it might even be a few dollars cheaper than I thought. The per diem in Dallas for Christmas through September is $8 more than it is from October through Christmas. And the reservation should be for one day at each rate.

Either way, it's a pretty ridiculously low $96/night (even at the more expensive rate). Is the Park Central closer enough that it's worth changing the reservation, or is the Galleria cool enough to stay there?
If they're the same, take the Galleria one. I think it was recently renovated, plus the fact that you can walk right out into the Galleria is pretty darn cool.

(of course, with the way this group works, you may not actually get a free moment to go down there, with all the mayhem and fun we have....)

Old 07-12-2005, 02:45 PM   #108 (Print)
AJRitz
BCLF Generalissimo

Quote:
(of course, with the way this group works, you may not actually get a free moment to go down there, with all the mayhem and fun we have....)

I was counting on the mayhem and fun. That's why I'll need a Heavenly Bed to recovery between rounds
Old 07-12-2005, 08:41 PM   #109 (Print)
spelcheker
Now With Hair!

I'll be bringing my Rick Bayless Homegrown Tomatillo Salsa Verde and my Alton Brown Good Eats '3 Chips For Sister Marsha' chocolate chip cookies - chewy version.

I figure if I'm going to bring stuff to a Tivo party, it needs to be TV recipes.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #110 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Quote:
I was counting on the mayhem and fun. That's why I'll need a Heavenly Bed to recovery between rounds

If all the activities take place up in north Dallas and the burbs like Richardson and Plano, that location is fine. It's very close to me. If you want to shop, the Galleria is one of the premier shopping destinations in the area.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #111 (Print)
harvscar

OK, flight booked and room at Richardson Hotel booked.
I'll be coming in Friday afternoon, really wanted to do the Buffalo burgers but there was no way I could get Thursday off. My dad will be retiring to San Antonio next February so I have a good chance of occassionally being closer to you folks than I am now; therefore, Buffalo burgers will someday be mine!
Looking forward to seeing Serenity again... and all of you, of course.
harvscar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2005, 10:35 PM   #112 (Print)
Hippster

Yay!
Hippster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2005, 08:03 AM   #113 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Wow, lots of people shaping up to join in the fun... and we're still two and a half months away! Glad to see you're joining us, Rob! And AJRitz.. make sure you drag Dansee down here with you .

And at 20 folks who have confirmed (and more who have said they're planning a trip now), I have a question. Do folks still want to do a Potluck meal, or would you guys rather we did something with catering and everyone chip in cash to cover costs? Pantess and I have no problem taking care of everything as far as picking stuff up and preparation, if folks want to go the way of catering... provided everyone was willing to throw a little bit of dough into the pot to help cover costs.

Saturday in the early afternoon would probably be the best time to do the group shindig / potluck. Folks could hang out, get some grub, sit and chat with everyone, we could play some games, and then head to the theater in the evening for the movie. With as many folks as will likely be coming in Friday, and leaving Sunday, Saturday seems to be the best day to do it, since it's most likely the only "full" day everyone has on their schedules

So, what says everyone?

Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 AM   #114 (Print)
spelcheker
Now With Hair!

I would be glad to chip in, but as I love to cook, I'll be bringing some stuff of my own whatever people decide.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:40 AM   #115 (Print)
AJRitz
BCLF Generalissimo

Sounds like a plan Skittles. Either way works. I know you Dallas folks have a number of cooks, but if doing a catered deal works better for you then I'm happy to kick in cash.

And I am planning on "dragging dansee with me" - in the sense that him saying he would come is what is getting me there (he's my ride ) If, for some reason, dansee can't make it, I'll still do my best to get there - I'll probably go ahead and drive it solo.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #116 (Print)
Samsara
Perfectly Cromulent

Well, we're kicking in cash regardless; the question is would you like that to go towards chips and deli platters from Costco or BBQ sandwiches from a restaurant. The latter might require a minimum number of participants, and given the culinary skills of some of our locals, that does seem like it may be a wasted opportunity.

That said, I'm not sure I'll even be able to make it to this part of the event, so that's not a vote, just an observation.

Samsara
Samsara is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #117 (Print)
AJRitz
BCLF Generalissimo

How about if us out-of-towners kicked in to help pay for materials/supplies for the culinarily-skilled denizens of Dallas?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:07 PM   #118 (Print)
SonicCookie
Mostly lurking

Quote:
How about if us out-of-towners kicked in to help pay for materials/supplies for the culinarily-skilled denizens of Dallas?

This is a good idea, I'll be happy to contribute.

I will be there for the Saturday events. I just don't know yet whether I will arrive Thursday or Friday. This will depend on work schedule. I would like to attend the Thursday lunch so I'm hoping I can get that day off.

Series 2 SA 40hrs TiVo - networked
SonicCookie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2005, 11:19 PM   #119 (Print)
zaknafein
Shorthanded

Send a message via AIM to zaknafein Send a message via MSN to zaknafein Send a message via Yahoo to zaknafein
Quote:
Sounds like a plan Skittles. Either way works. I know you Dallas folks have a number of cooks, but if doing a catered deal works better for you then I'm happy to kick in cash.

And I am planning on "dragging dansee with me" - in the sense that him saying he would come is what is getting me there (he's my ride ) If, for some reason, dansee can't make it, I'll still do my best to get there - I'll probably go ahead and drive it solo.

You guys are driving? Mind if I tag along? I'll chip in for gas of course.

Moblog
zaknafein is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2005, 12:48 AM   #120 (Print)
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaknafein
You guys are driving? Mind if I tag along? I'll chip in for gas of course.

You know, I was going to suggest this (with me tagging along, of course) but it's like an eight hour drive from KC to Dallas. I didn't figure you guys would be up for it.

tk