TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2005, 09:01 PM   #91 (Print)
rbt

Would anyone venture a guess as to how long it might be before the Season 1 episodes are out on DVD?

Anyone aware of repeats for season one.

New fan needs to catch up, we just got our Tivo and have had a passing interest in BSG. Too much to catch up on.

Thanks!
rbt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2005, 09:08 PM   #92 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt
Would anyone venture a guess as to how long it might be before the Season 1 episodes are out on DVD?

July 26 or September 20, depending on how badly you want it.
(The BB exclusive price has since been dropped to 49.99)

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2005, 11:55 PM   #93 (Print)
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRobbins
Does anyone actually listen to the podcast while watching the episode as it seems we're supposed to do?

Well, yeah, after I watched through the ep properly first w/o the podcast. I think it'd be a bad idea to listen to the podcast while watching an ep for the 1st time.

I'm not sure if I finished the podcast for Kobol's Last Gleaming part 2 though...

RCA DVR80
TiVos w/lifetime: Sony SVR-2000, Philips HDR212, Tivo TCD540080
cwerdna is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #94 (Print)
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Really enjoyable episode. No nits here.

1) Hacking Galactica's network. Early in the miniseries, they established that cylons could "broadcast" viruses and IIRC, provided some technobabble explanation for why they kept the computers from being networked. As a non-tech guy, I assumed the firewalls were to keep out the hacking viruses which would have toasted all the computers. I assumed that it was uploaded through the sensors....? It didn't bother me.

2) What I really enjoyed - Tigh. I didn't really care for the character last season, but really enjoyed how they developed him in this episode. He's a guy that doesn't want to be in charge, and probably shouldn't be in charge, but he is who they have.

Fun, fun. Looking forward to next week.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:11 AM   #95 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

I like how they always have just enough protection to make the show tense...

for example, had they used 10 firewalls instead of 5, they would've had plenty of time to run the calculations without fear of being hacked

Old 07-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #96 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to jwjody Send a message via Yahoo to jwjody
I'm another in the camp of miss the old theme to the show. I think there's a thread here about last seasons theme vs. the UK theme or it could have been a long discussion in a BSG thread...

I think Caprica Booner has gone to try and steal a larger ship so that the three of them can get away.

J

Old 07-18-2005, 08:48 AM   #97 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
Since they gave away spoilers in the intro last season, I never watched and thus never listened to the old song. I'll check out the new song this week.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #98 (Print)
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjody

I think Caprica Booner has gone to try and steal a larger ship so that the three of them can get away.

I think Caprica Boomer ran away because she rightly feared Starbuck would shoot her.

Although where she went, rather than why she went, is the better question.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #99 (Print)
MassD

While a bit cheesy, I didn't object much to the "young" Adama... First off, he was not supposed to be all that much younger... 10, maybe 15 years tops. Its pretty clear to me that both Adama and the XO were old, washed up military men stuck on some P.O.S. freigter, waxing nostaglic about their glory-filled youth.
MassD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 09:55 AM   #100 (Print)
Tsiehta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66
My lesser gripe:
I don't understand how they (BG) didn't know where the fleet was when BG is responsible for distributing the info to the fleet.

I think this is a VERY important point to be made. Shouldn't they just have used the last coordinates that were distributed to the fleet?

Old 07-18-2005, 10:04 AM   #101 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsiehta
I think this is a VERY important point to be made. Shouldn't they just have used the last coordinates that were distributed to the fleet?

They seemed to have based their jump coordinates on the relative position of stars. That's why they had to go back to the same position to recalculate.

Thus, once they jumped to the wrong spot, they couldn't jump from there to where they thought the fleet was. They had to go back to the same position and recalculate based on the time the previous jump occured from that spot.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #102 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsiehta

Gaeta distributed the adjusted coordinates to the rest of the fleet, but apparently he forgot to give them to the astrogater on his own ship.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #103 (Print)
MassD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Gaeta distributed the adjusted coordinates to the rest of the fleet, but apparently he forgot to give them to the astrogater on his own ship.

Wasn't it the other way around? The update came in just before they made the call to jump... Galactica went to the new coords, but the fleet went to the others?

Though, I would have just tried to re-extrapolate the coords... I mean, they ALL started at X, Galactica when to Y and the rest of the fleet went to Z...

Maybe its too hard to do it that way.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:02 AM   #104 (Print)
ovr8ted

Gaeta is all Cylon, but then again, maybe everyone else is also I thought that was a great mechanism for distrust among BS members having jumped to an empty zone in space, though clearly they didn't dwell on it. Although the XO doesn't seem to disturbed by Gaeta's mistake, I sure was, then allowing him to link up the computers, hello! I missed some of the Xo / wife moment, but feeding that toaster info about how you jump cannot be a good thing.

Given BS Boomer's in/out Cylon modes, it is possible that Kobol Boomer had the same type of moment, but I do agree that she just needed to save her backside, but she could have run just as easily, unless the Cylons are truly after her (i.e. faulty programming).

I also was torn with the flashbacks, are we to be witnessing the XO's past, or was it really generated to give insight into Adama's rise to power, and the Cylon's "gift" that Adama was a Cylon? How does one go from drunk has-been to prominent figure like that?
ovr8ted is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #105 (Print)
TAsunder

We don't know how their networks work. I don't have a problem believing the cylons could hack into them as much as I have a problem with the green/red screen showing the status of the hack. Although it is advanced technology, after all.

I didn't find the flashbacks all that interesting.

I also didn't like how they crapped out of baltar's experience by making it a dream or whatever. That's a cheap trick and I felt betrayed.
TAsunder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #106 (Print)
Big_Daddy
Purveyor of Idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovr8ted
Given BS Boomer's in/out Cylon modes, it is possible that Kobol Boomer had the same type of moment, but I do agree that she just needed to save her backside, but she could have run just as easily, unless the Cylons are truly after her (i.e. faulty programming).

I've thought some more about this. She is clearly attached to Helo, and I wonder if she was less scared for saving herself than afraid Starbuck wouldn't take Helo AND her away from Caprica. So she took the ship.

Or, there is still some purpose for keeping Helo on Caprica. (As Rob H says, They Have a Plan!)

Old 07-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #107 (Print)
NoThru22
Aspirin Roulette

Send a message via AIM to NoThru22
Boomer, Helo and Starbuck are on Caprica, not Kobol. Baltar and the Cheif are on Kobol.
NoThru22 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #108 (Print)
TreborPugly
Unreal!

1. Computer network: I'll add my voice that this completely threw me out of the story. I can buy the idea that all the other Colonial ships were corrupted by Cylons because of computer networks, but this was because the computers on the ships talked to each other via network broadcasts of some kind. The computers Inside a single ship can be networked together without any possible chance of infiltration. The only reason for a firewall is if you are trying to access the outside somehow. Sensors don't receive messages, they just measure something about the outside. The Cylons could mess with their sensor readings, but they couldn't send a virus through (unless the software was written by Microsoft I guess ) And notice how he "turned off the network?" He pulled a cable! Just one, which seems strange, since they were networking multiple computers on the ship, right?

2. Pregnant Cylons. So we've got two Cylon's saying they are pregnant with human fathers. And so far, it looks like the human-looking Cylons are actually replicas of humans, down to the cellular level, or it wouldn't be necessary to come up with some fancy Cylon detector, right? They have something in them that allows transmission of memories, but otherwise they must be pretty human. What sort of creature is a Cylon/human baby going to be?

Old 07-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #109 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

We haven't established that the human-form Cylons are replacements of actual humans. They could have been plants from long ago. Or, as in the case of Boomer, replacements when no other way of confirming their past was possible.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #110 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023
We haven't established that the human-form Cylons are replacements of actual humans. They could have been plants from long ago. Or, as in the case of Boomer, replacements when no other way of confirming their past was possible.

If you watched the 1 Hour special before the premieres, EJO said that

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
The human-looking Cylons were created from DNA from specific humans

At least that's what I remember him saying. Anybody else watch that?
PJO1966 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #111 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Eh, I can write that off as an actor's interpretation. Until we see it explained in the context of the show, I don't accept it as canon.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:02 PM   #112 (Print)
ronsch

Send a message via AIM to ronsch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna
Well, yeah, after I watched through the ep properly first w/o the podcast. I think it'd be a bad idea to listen to the podcast while watching an ep for the 1st time.

I'm not sure if I finished the podcast for Kobol's Last Gleaming part 2 though...

I started listening to the podcast Saturday right up to the point where Ronald Moore said that it would contain spoilers for future episodes. I guess I have to save them for the rest of the season and then listen to them when watching the episodes for the second time.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #113 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder

I also didn't like how they crapped out of baltar's experience by making it a dream or whatever. That's a cheap trick and I felt betrayed.

All of Baltar's experiences with Six are only in his head...this one was not any different...

Old 07-18-2005, 12:19 PM   #114 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
All of Baltar's experiences with Six are only in his head...this one was not any different...

Exactly, some of the experiences with her in his head have taken place back in his home on Caprica. They haven't been limited to his location on Galactica orColonial One.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #115 (Print)
7thton
Frak!

Caprica Boomer said that after Caprica 6 died that her memories would be downloaded to another cylon....right? Isn't this new information?

So, are memories shared from one cylon to the other only, or all they networked or something so that all cylons have access?

Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #116 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thton
Caprica Boomer said that after Caprica 6 died that her memories would be downloaded to another cylon....right? Isn't this new information?

So, are memories shared from one cylon to the other only, or all they networked or something so that all cylons have access?

that's not new information...cylons never die because their "brain" is simply downloaded into a new body...we knew that in the mini-series when Six explained to Baltar why she would not die in the nuclear attack...

Old 07-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #117 (Print)
jimmymac

"Caprica Boomer said that after Caprica 6 died that her memories would be downloaded to another cylon....right? Isn't this new information?"

Nope.

There was the episode where they were holding one Cylon. Can't remember his name and Starbuck was interrogating him. He was afraid he might be too far out for his info to be transfered and he was going to die.
jimmymac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #118 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thton

I'm pretty sure Six mentioned this in the mini. I know Leoben mentioned it during his interrogation.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:35 PM   #119 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023
I'm pretty sure Six mentioned this in the mini. I know Leoben mentioned it during his interrogation.

Yes and yes.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:46 PM   #120 (Print)
MassD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovr8ted
Gaeta is all Cylon, but then again, maybe everyone else is also I thought that was a great mechanism for distrust among BS members having jumped to an empty zone in space, though clearly they didn't dwell on it.

I don't think they really had enough time to reflect on it. I am sure there will be some more fallout in the upcoming episodes.

That Gaeta is a Cylon is a very interesting theory. It would certainly fall into line with the events. He blew the coord. update, then convinced Tyhe to return to the BaseStar while also wiring up the Galactica such that its vulnerable to a Cylon attack.

I mean, now that I think of it, it was somewhat convienent that the Cylon Raider knew almost immediatly that it could connect to the Galactica's network. At the time, it seemed all too convienent.