Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #151 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

I have a feeling Boomer is not flawed, but only too human...which, I think, is the goal they are after...

so, in a way, Boomer is the answer they are looking for but they can't find it because it's right in front of them...

ok...now my head hurts

Old 07-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #152 (Print)
Kevdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Bondange Boomer seems to be a better soldier than Knocked-Up Boomer--I guess Multiple Personality Disorder has its advantages!)

Mmmmmmmm.... Bondage Boomer.

1 Black Lab, modified
Kevdog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #153 (Print)
questfortruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023
Like I said before, this is new tech to us. And Cylons have advanced in ways humans don't understand. Perhaps they piggy-backed in on the wireless chatter between Galactica and the Vipers. It can all be explained away. Just calm down, relax, and enjoy it for the fiction that it is.

What? And not agonizingly over-analyze every minutiae, until all enjoyment is forever banished from the program?

We need another Trek series, to give the techie trekkies something to obsess over.
questfortruth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 06:34 PM   #154 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdog
Mmmmmmmm.... Bondage Boomer.

that was so good...I'll go for seconds...

Mmmmmmm... Bondage Boomer

Old 07-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #155 (Print)
ahartman
Space for Rent

You guys are actually considering how the network on Galactaca works? You accept the whole viper fighter and starship jump things without any question, but you're debating how they built a network on a spaceship?

Anyway, the things that bugged me:

- Cylon ship crashes into your ship and you don't dispach anyone to the site? Jim Kirk would be ashamed! I dismissed this as "it's still happening in a very short timeframe". If they don't address it in the first 5 minutes, then it'll go back to bothering me.

- Aren't those cylon ships (that Starbuck has) self-contained ships? How would Cylon-Boomer know what to do to fly it when she climbed in with all that Colonial stuff integrated into it?

Anyway, this show does indeed rock. I was spoiled by the HD reruns - I saved them all up and watched nearly the entire season over 2 days. Now I want more more more!
ahartman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 07:40 PM   #156 (Print)
ccwf
国際化 Member

Send a message via AIM to ccwf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborPugly
And notice how he "turned off the network?" He pulled a cable! Just one, which seems strange, since they were networking multiple computers on the ship, right?
10Base-2, i.e., thin Ethernet works this way. All the computers are connected linearly. Break the cable and not only can the two parts no longer communicate (obviously), but communication on each of the parts also stops working properly due to improper termination.
ccwf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 07:52 PM   #157 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartman
You guys are actually considering how the network on Galactaca works? You accept the whole viper fighter and starship jump things without any question, but you're debating how they built a network on a spaceship?

this is the SECOND season...all the stuff you mentioned has been discussed -- ad nauseum -- during the first season

Old 07-18-2005, 07:53 PM   #158 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

Quote:

My mantra?
"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts (la, la, la)
Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a show; I should really just relax!'"

Quote:
- Cylon ship crashes into your ship and you don't dispach anyone to the site? Jim Kirk would be ashamed! I dismissed this as "it's still happening in a very short timeframe". If they don't address it in the first 5 minutes, then it'll go back to bothering me.

Moore covered this in his podcast. The bay the Cylon crashed into is the one they had converted into a museum way back in the beginning. No one works over there and no one has been over there since they dragged the old Vipers out of it back in the mini-series. There was no explosion and no fire, its what amounts to an abandoned and unused part of the ship and they have much higher priorities to deal with. Someone will probably go check it out eventually but it really isn't anywhere near the top of their list at the moment.

Quote:
- Aren't those cylon ships (that Starbuck has) self-contained ships? How would Cylon-Boomer know what to do to fly it when she climbed in with all that Colonial stuff integrated into it?

Because Boomer is a Raptor pilot and presumably knows how to use all that Colonial stuff integrated into it. Caprica-Boomer presumably knows most of what Galactica-Boomer knows; maybe not completely up-to-date but she seems to know everything at least up to the point where Galactica-Boomer left Helo on the planet.

Quote:
Anyway, this show does indeed rock. I was spoiled by the HD reruns - I saved them all up and watched nearly the entire season over 2 days. Now I want more more more!

So say we all.

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 08:06 PM   #159 (Print)
bubbamike

Smile

Quote:

Wasn't Apollo above the site when the impact occurred and didn't he call in and describe the damage and situation? So there was an observer, the CAG.
bubbamike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 08:43 PM   #160 (Print)
5thcrewman
Wavy Goth Survivor

Next point:

Meaning behind 'Room 3'

Why all the shots of the '3' on the door?

Discuss-

5thcrewman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #161 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thcrewman
Next point:

Meaning behind 'Room 3'

Discuss-

Because 15-8-4=3.

...Or just the number of the hotel room.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #162 (Print)
jimmymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbamike
Wasn't Apollo above the site when the impact occurred and didn't he call in and describe the damage and situation? So there was an observer, the CAG.

Yes, he was. I just rewatched the episode. He reported no explosion.
jimmymac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2005, 05:55 AM   #163 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
What does CAG stand for?

And what's "draygus?"

Old 07-19-2005, 06:42 AM   #164 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thcrewman
Next point:

Meaning behind 'Room 3'

Discuss-

wasn't Tigh behind door 3 when he was playing with fire and the MPs came to tell him to report for duty?

otherwise, I have no idea

I, too, would like to know what CAG stands for...

Old 07-19-2005, 07:38 AM   #165 (Print)
Weezoh

Quote:
What does CAG stand for?

And what's "draygus?"

CAG= Commander Air Group (I think, i'm not in the military I just work with them)

I think it's Dradus - it's basically their version or radar I don't know if it's an acronym or just sounds close enough so they used it.

Old 07-19-2005, 07:54 AM   #166 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
At first I thought draygus was their version of radar, also. But then I heard them use the term radar. So we're back to square one.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #167 (Print)
tbone526
*Clever title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleye1
What would be the use of having a bunch of individual Boomer's running around?

Give me a couple hours and I'll compile a list of my ideas.....Bondage Boomer will be right at the top.

CAG does indeed mean "Commander Air Group". It's an older term from aircraft carriers in WWII. I believe the actual position is now referred to as Air Wing Commander or something like that, but they still refer to the person as CAG (since "AWC" would sound more like a bird call than a nickname).

Now I have a question. In the battle with the basestar, I think someone was flying a current model Viper. Where did they get it? I thought they were all destroyed in the initial battle. I've seen every episode, but maybe I missed something somewhere (probably distracted by Boomer...)
tbone526 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2005, 08:48 AM   #168 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
In the miniseries, Lee brought his own Viper with him to Galactica, and it was one of the newer models (Mark VII, I think). IIRC, they made a passing reference at one point that they retrofitted it after the initial Cylon attack so it wouldn't be susceptible to the Cylon computer infiltration techniques.

Old 07-19-2005, 08:54 AM   #169 (Print)
MassD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone526
I think someone was flying a current model Viper. Where did they get it? I thought they were all destroyed in the initial battle. I've seen every episode, but maybe I missed something somewhere (probably distracted by Boomer...)

Some of the newer models did made it through. Not too many from what I remember... but some did manage to survive. Remember in the miniseries that some had to be retrofitted so that they could not get shut down by Raiders? I distinctly remember that their first engagement after the initial strike had a scene where the Vipers engaged some Raiders and all held their breath to see if the modifications worked.
MassD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2005, 09:52 AM   #170 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

DRADIS is just their term for radar. I've heard that it supposedly stands for "Direction, RAnge and DIStance" but have no cite. (And wouldn't range and distance be the same thing anyway? Hmmm... Maybe it's just "DiRection And DIStance". RADAR is "RAdio Detection And Ranging" btw...)

I've heard them say radar occasionally (I know Starbuck says it in Hand of God) but I think those are just mistakes. There are a few things for which they consistently use different terms than we would (the main one I can think of is "wireless" vs "radio") so dradis vs radar is just another example of the same thing.

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2005, 01:23 PM   #171 (Print)
chewbaccad

Yeah, I was wondering about the "3" also. I mean, they really made a point of showing it numerous times. I just didn't mention it because I had no theories...

Also... aren't they calling CAGs "Air Bosses" these days? Or am I dating myself?

Old 07-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #172 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaccad
Yeah, I was wondering about the "3" also. I mean, they really made a point of showing it numerous times. I just didn't mention it because I had no theories...

Also... aren't they calling CAGs "Air Bosses" these days? Or am I dating myself?

Just the number on the hotel room.

In the podcast, Moore discusses the flashbacks. They originally shot them as an objective look at Tigh and Adama's history, and showed why Tigh owed Adama so much. They changed the direction when they edited it, and chose to use a subjective version of the flashbacks through Tigh's mind. Some images are repeated, and may lack the full context of the backstory, focusing on what was foremost in Tigh's thoughts.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #173 (Print)
bubbamike

Note Who's shooting whom?

Earlier in the thread someone wondered who was shooting down at the detached squad who were returning to the Crashdown party. It occurs to me that it may very well be members of the Battlestar Pegasus commanded by Ensign Roe now an Admiral in the Colonial service. Well that would be Michele Forbes who played Ensign Roe on Star Trek Next Generation.
bubbamike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2005, 02:48 PM   #174 (Print)
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice
The codes to what? All they did was connect a few computers aboard ship in order to increase processing power. The Cylons would still have to find a way onto the network and even then all the systems on the Galactica would still be independent even if they shared processing time for a few minutes, right? I thought maybe I missed something...

That's my only nit, though. Great episode.
Yeah, that bothered me as well. They took three computers and ran physical cables between them to allow them to share data.

Now unless someone was dumb enough to run some extra cable to the radio of the Galactica, there is no way the Cylons should be able to insert commands onto a shielded metal network connection. It's not like they were being hooked up with wireless and WEP .

And were were the 5 software firewalls? Based on the way they were described there were somehow between the Cylon's entry point onto the network and the three computers. But the network was just a cable run between the computers; no output input, so no place to put the firewalls. They could have been on each computer but then there would have been 15 (5 on each), or else breaching some of them would have granted access to some of the computers...

Oh well, the rest of the episode was good. It was mainly the IT stuff that bothered me.

And it is possible that they will be able to "fix" a lot of the apparent mistake.
The camera work certainly made it look like a cylon raider was responsible for the attack on the galactica's computers; but it could be discovered in a later episode that a previously unknown Cylon agent aboard the galactica initiated the attack. Possibly by gaining access to one of the network cables running through an unguarded portion of the ship. The cable was certainly shown to be exiting the main bridge, so there might be unprotected parts. That would fix the attack vector issue (although wouldn't explain where the heck the firewalls were).

Old 07-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #175 (Print)
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daddy
Really enjoyable episode. No nits here.

1) Hacking Galactica's network. Early in the miniseries, they established that cylons could "broadcast" viruses and IIRC, provided some technobabble explanation for why they kept the computers from being networked. As a non-tech guy, I assumed the firewalls were to keep out the hacking viruses which would have toasted all the computers. I assumed that it was uploaded through the sensors....? It didn't bother me.
That makes a fair bit of sense for fixed networks. They would likely tie in many or all of the ships computers, including things like fire control which are hooked up to sensors. Likely fixed networks would also be hooked up the ship-to-ship communication systems to allow multiple ships to coordinate defensive fire. Somewhat like the US Navy's Aegis system.

So that type of all inclusive network could be extremely vulnerable to Cylon attacks, since it does hook up to external receivers that could be exploited to inject signals into the system. (The designers of the system wouldn't expect those signals to be able to control their network, but data separation is hard and I'm more than willing to believe the Cylons are really good at beating it.)

But that wasn't the type of network set up on Galactica. That was a simple data sharing link between 3 computers; and unless someone went out of their way to connect it to a receiver of some kind (which would be really stupid knowing that the cylons can hack the network that way) there shouldn't be any way to inject any type of signal into the network.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #176 (Print)
Jonathan_S

Quote:
I guess my original hypothesis on this issue went unread. Un-networked computers can be repaired/replaced much easier than all networked computers. Singly, they don't represent a significant enough target. Networked, they represent a succulent target for the Cylons to render the whole ship vulnerable.

Just a guess, but one that quashes all these arguments.
But one of the computers that was specifically mentioned was the FTL computer. I'd view that as a pretty juicy target at any time.

Sure you can't turn off the entire battlestar's defensive capabilities, but it would really hurt for galactica to recall all its vipers, try to FTL jump out and have the FTL computer get hacked before they could jump out. (or have been previously hacked and crash when the jump out command was issued).
Yes you could rebuild the computer, but in the meantime you've got Cylon raiders and anti-ship missiles from the base star headed for you and non of your fighters are ready to launch; so now you are down to just your onboard defensive weapons.

Sounds like a great way to at least take a big chunk out of galactica. So I certainly wouldn't say that standalone computers wouldn't be worth attacking.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #177 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

It can be hard to let go of the technical innaccuracies of shows...I do it too. But the writers are more concerned with the overall story and the characters, not the technical details. Oh, well...I'm not an IT guy, so these details didn't register on my DRADIS screen.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #178 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

I -- for one -- am willing to live with the network mystery and move on with my life (such as it is)...

Just like the Cylons' plan, maybe it will be later revealed how they do it...

Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #179 (Print)
latrobe7
anomaly

Boy, people sure are stuck on the Network thing; hope you guys figure it out to your satisfaction. In the meantime, how does Tirilium(?) generate power? How do they generate artificial gravity?

I think you can poke allot of holes in science fiction; but there is no right answer, other than it is necessary for the plot, like transporters and all the aliens speaking English on the old Star Trek.
latrobe7 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #180 (Print)
tbone526
*Clever title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbaccad

The Air Boss is the guy that gives the orders for planes to takeoff, land, be moved around on the flight deck, etc. He's not a pilot, whereas the CAG actually is out there in the air with the troops. My first thought is that he's on the fly-bridge (I know he doesn't work in CIC, just can't remember the exact term for where he's at). Disclosure: I'm not ex-military, just somewhat of a history buff.

To add my $.02 to the debate about networking, I'm not a technical person (I don't even have my TiVo hacked ), but I understand the Cylon's accessing Galactica's impromptu network was a stretch, and the graphical representation of the 5 firewalls was an overly simplistic view. My first thought was that if they're networking all the computers INCLUDING FIRECONTROL to work on the FTL solution, then what system was directing the batteries on the Galactica? Certainly not individual crewmembers looking out windows....

All in all, I think they've done a good job of being consistent with the science as they present it, but for the things that are stretches, I'm willing and able to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the show as a whole.
tbone526 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post