July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2005, 10:55 AM   #61 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
I have to say though, that the whole "guy fires or aims at target only to have someone out of frame take the shot" thing is becomeing quite cliche. It happened twice in this episode, and seems to happen in a lot in shows in general. It's to the point that I'm expecting after any shot for the camera to pan toward the "real shooter."

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #62 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

It *did* seem as if Chief killed the Cylons. After they showed it was Apollo, I wondered "Wouldn't a hovering Raptor make a butt load of noise?"
cheesesteak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #63 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
so what you're saying is that the story isn't moving along faster, but that there are a lot of stories going on at once...
I'd just rather they close off some of the storylines quicker. Particularly the ones that seemed to be going nowhere, like the Kobol Survival angle. The bigger storylines, like GalacticaBoomer and Roslin being deposed, just don't get enough screentime.

Quote:
and you think that they have too many stories, but you'd like them to expand Apollo's story some more...
Yep, I think there are too many stories to be easily managed within an hour.

As far as Apollo goes, Lee's crisis of conscience is played up pretty well in the first season. You hear his father talking about how losing control is the only way to win, and about how it sometimes becomes necessary to choose a side. And he does. He nearly mutinies over it. And then... bupkis. He gets a free pass out of the brig. We haven't even seen him at his father's side since the first episode, really.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #64 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
So you're just disliking the intentional misdirection.
No, I was OK with the misdirection.

There was just a .4 second span where I was in shock, and couldn't believe they'd pull crap like having a tiny gun cause a huge explosion. Thankfully, they didn't.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #65 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
It *did* seem as if Chief killed the Cylons. After they showed it was Apollo, I wondered "Wouldn't a hovering Raptor make a butt load of noise?"

Not if you're firing a gun and hopped up on adrenaline from 3 robots gunning for you.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #66 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
I have to say though, that the whole "guy fires or aims at target only to have someone out of frame take the shot" thing is becomeing quite cliche. It happened twice in this episode, and seems to happen in a lot in shows in general. It's to the point that I'm expecting after any shot for the camera to pan toward the "real shooter."

but the once with Baltar doing the shooting was done really nicely...

Baltar is just such a compulsive liar...this whole mess was because he couldn't tell them that he dropped his binoculars and didn't observe the cylons for a long enough time...

Old 08-01-2005, 11:47 AM   #67 (Print)
jtonra

Can someone help fill in the blanks for me. I just started watching this as of the previous seasons' finale. What's the deal with the Doctor and the blonde. I'm gathering that she's a cyclon but what's the deal with the "baby" they keep talking about. And why does only he see her? Is she real? Didn't we see her fighting someone else (Starbuck?) on Caprica?

Please help...
jtonra is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #68 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
Wow, I would suggest NetFlixing the mini-series and season 1. Or scouring the net for synopses. Too much info to catch you up quick in a post.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #69 (Print)
5thcrewman
Wavy Goth Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thton
...Still, I think that Baltar might be shying away from Six a bit....he seemed annoyed with her and said he didn't want anything to do with the baby....

Just like a hot chick
-always ready for hot sex AT FIRST
But then it's all "I want to have a baby!" waa-waa-waa

Run Gaius, run! Stage 5 clinger!!

5thcrewman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #70 (Print)
latrobe7
anomaly

[rant]
OK, where’s the friggen podcast?! I hate it when web pages don’t think they need to keep to deadline because it’s a web page. It clearly says, “New commentary will be posted each Friday” on the SciFI channel page. So post the podcast or at least say why there’s a delay. Don’t just pretend to forget.
[/rant]

I’m hope the Kobol story is done for now. Maybe they will spend some time on the Boomers. I want to see Galactica Boomer tell the world that she passed Baltar’s Cylon test and I want to know where Caprica Boomer went.

I think the Arrow of Apollo/Temple of Athena thing is going to turn out to be a red-herring or there will be all kinds of obstacles that will prevent them from opening the tomb until, like the end of season 3. I think this because if it is as they say it is - the arrow opens the temple and in the temple there are directions to earth – before they go in to the temple, they will need to know for certain who is a Cylon among them, or else the Cylons will know how to get to earth, and if they DO get to earth without the Cylons following; show’s over, right? Also, wouldn’t they be afraid that the Cylons would eventually find Earth, even by chance? I think they will try to find a way to defeat the Cylons before they come to Earth (as unlikely as that may be).

My prediction is that when they go into the temple, something will be missing, it will only be a clue to the direction, or whatever was supposed to be there will already be gone.
latrobe7 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 11:58 AM   #71 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtonra
Can someone help fill in the blanks for me. I just started watching this as of the previous seasons' finale. What's the deal with the Doctor and the blonde. I'm gathering that she's a cyclon but what's the deal with the "baby" they keep talking about. And why does only he see her? Is she real? Didn't we see her fighting someone else (Starbuck?) on Caprica?

Please help...

Maybe start with the episode summaries. They're pretty short, but they may help. I haven't really read through them myself.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/episodes/

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #72 (Print)
dengel
Linux or Die!

Baltar is an arse... I mean, for being a "genius" he is very dumb.

Six is hot though...

d.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #73 (Print)
jradford
The Jerkstore called

It seems strange to me that they have a dual-baby thing going on with Boomer's baby and now Baltar and Six's. Does anyone else have any thoughts about the two babies actually being the same baby? It is my theory that the baby that Six keeps talking about is the one Boomer is carrying. At some point, that Caprica Boomer could possibly be back to Gallactica, along with Helo and Starbuck. When she gets there, pregnant and obviously cylon, there will problems. Six might be preparing the Doctor to be a protector. I'm just at a loss to figure out how Six could actually be pregnant with the Doc's child. I could be blatantly missing something.
jradford is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 12:44 PM   #74 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradford
I'm just at a loss to figure out how Six could actually be pregnant with the Doc's child. I could be blatantly missing something.

let's see...when two people love each other, they get married...and on their wedding night...

that's a pretty good spin about preparing Baltar for protecting the baby...I had not thought of that...that would explain why they maneuvered him into power...

I wonder if they would start a debate about life/abortion on the show...

Old 08-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #75 (Print)
speedcouch
Geekneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradford
It seems strange to me that they have a dual-baby thing going on with Boomer's baby and now Baltar and Six's. Does anyone else have any thoughts about the two babies actually being the same baby? It is my theory that the baby that Six keeps talking about is the one Boomer is carrying.

I interpret as all the cylons want to "mate" with the humans to start a hybrid race. In the introduction this season, they have that one line "and they have a plan..." To me, that's what the plan is...

Six said that the baby she keeps showing Baltar in the fantasy sequences is "what could be..." At some point, couldn't one of the real copies of Six actually get pregnant by Baltar? As opposed to the virtual one that he's seeing right
now.

I still absolutely love this show! Love the all the characters/actors/plots, etc. Thought the two gunshot things were well-done. I didn't mind the misdirection. Just glad the Chief didn't get it. He's one of my favorite characters.

BTW, I think they spent so much time on the Kobol sequences because they could do all the "land-based" episodes without using special effects. I just remember the cost of special effects is what killed the original series, wasn't it?

Cheryl

Panasonic DMR-E30S
DirecTV since Aug 1995
Kenwood VR-7060
Four JBL S310 II Speakers
JBL S Center II
XM since May 04
speedcouch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #76 (Print)
Tangent
Format c:\*.*

When Crashdown put the 3 tags around his neck did anyone else get a "crazed vietnam platoon leader putting on his necklace made of ears" vibe?

This episode also is strengthening my opinion that the 6 that Baltar sees is a delusion and not a real Cylon in any sense. So far everything the 6 in his head has told him is either something that he already knew (the prophecies he said he had studied as a child) or was able to observe and work out on his own (the one turning on the other on Kobol, needing nuclear material for his detector...). The religion aspect of it his psyche is making up to fill out the character in his mind using the information the real 6 gave him on Caprica. The shock of discovering what he had done and the consequences just mentally broke him and forced his mind into creating her. Her purpose is to guide him because he is incapable of guiding himself with the knowledge of what his actions have done.

The fact that when Baltar got on the Raptor the 6 seemed to be staying behind and then said "I'll always be your conscience" strengthens my theory. He was finally put into a situation where he knew he had to help himself. This knowledge manifested by 'his' 6 telling him that he was alone, rationalized with the "God has abandoned Kobol". Then once he actually took charge by first shooting Crashdown to protect the others and then by growing a pair and grabbing the rifle and shooting back at the Cylons his dependance on 6 suddenly decreased tremendously. If I'm right I think we'll be seeing less of 6 in his head or at the very least a lot less of her dictating his actions.
Tangent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #77 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent
When Crashdown put the 3 tags around his neck did anyone else get a "crazed vietnam platoon leader putting on his necklace made of ears" vibe?

Actually my initial thought once he grabbed the dogtags off the graves was that now they were unmarked graves.
PJO1966 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #78 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
Actually my initial thought once he grabbed the dogtags off the graves was that now they were unmarked graves.

why was Sarg miffed at that? can someone in the military tell us what faux pas did Crashdown do by lifting the tags and taking them with him?

I thought you were supposed to keep the tags...

Old 08-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #79 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
Sure, but tough to hear above all the shooting going on for either our boys and girls OR the Cylons...

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #80 (Print)
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thcrewman
Run Gaius, run! Stage 5 clinger!!
Ha! I saw that this weekend and I laughed so hard I was crying throughout the first half. The second half was much more "meh" but overall well worth the $ (of course I was at a matinee).

Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7
I want to see Galactica Boomer tell the world that she passed Baltar’s Cylon test
If she has any brains she won't say that. We know she's not human but if she were she wouldn't be a prisoner of war with possibly useful information: she'd merely be a soldier who shot her commanding officer with no possible justification. Can you say "airlock fodder"? I knew you could!

Old 08-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #81 (Print)
hereafter

What's in a plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcouch
I interpret as all the cylons want to "mate" with the humans to start a hybrid race. In the introduction this season, they have that one line "and they have a plan..." To me, that's what the plan is...

I just feel like if that is indeed their plan, then they could have easily implemented it without wiping out most of the colonies to then try and track down the relatively few survivors with whom they want to mate.

Like 6 was doing with Baltar and GalacticaBoomer was doing with the Chief before the initial attack, they could have easily gotten tens of thousands of the new models of Cylons pregnant (of course, I'm now wondering if the impregnation works the other way around; male cylon's sperm with human female's egg or just human male/cylon female) without the humans being any the wiser. They could have then wiped them all out later, after this hybrid race was well-established.

Also, I'm beginning to think that Tigh's wife is indeed another of the new cylon models and that when (the currently deposed) President Roslin is actually able to detect these cylons when she's not under the influence of the drug she takes to ease the pain, remain lucid, have visions, etc. She complained of this intense ringing in her head when Tigh's wife was visiting her cell. The very second the door closed behind her as she left the brig, the ringing in her head stopped. I think that ringing was her built-in cylon alarm going off in a cylon's presence.

I wonder if she can tell instantly what it would take Baltar 11 hours to determine, whether someone is a cylon or not (and that's assuming his detector would even give the correct results), when she's not hopped up on her hallucinogenic drug, that is...

-hereafter
hereafter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #82 (Print)
getbak

I have a theory that the glowing spine thing is not just something that is triggered in the cylons in the heat of the moment.

What if the cylon females have the ability to control their own ovulation to increase their chances of getting pregnant, and the glowing spine is a side effect of that? I believe we've only seen the glowing spine twice, once during the miniseries with Six & Baltar, and once with Boomer & Helo on Caprica. After those encounters we now have both of those female cylons claiming to be pregnant.

In the miniseries, we see Six & Baltar having sex with her glowing spine ("I'm so hot Gaius." - perhaps another indication that she's "in heat"). Later, we see them walking around on Caprica and she tells him that she needs to go meet with someone. Later, she shows up in his bedroom while he's in bed with another woman just before the attack. I'd guess that at least a couple of days have passed between the glowing spine and the beginning of the attack.

It's possible that these were two different Six models, one who was impregnated by Baltar who left Caprica before the attack and one who took her place and informed Baltar of the attack.

I guess it's even possible that the Six who was in his bedroom was already the "in Baltar's head" version, and she used the same technique to materialize to the girl in his bed that she later used in the episode where she appeared on Galactica.

In this episode, did anyone else find the encounter between Roslin and Ellen Tigh to be strange? Roslin got a very strong headache when she was in close contact with Ellen, and it went away almost instantly when Ellen left.

It reminded me of when you put a microphone too close to a speaker and you get a very shrill feedback. It really made me question if perhaps both Roslin and Ellen are cylons, since we know that cylons have some sort of internal transmitter, it's possible that Roslin's cancer is screwing up her transmitter in some way. It's also possible that Ellen knew exactly what was going to happen when her husband allowed the quorum in to see Roslin because it was part of the plan.

Old 08-01-2005, 01:59 PM   #83 (Print)
Stainless Steele
Wake-Maker!

Send a message via AIM to Stainless Steele
We need the old man back...soon!

Tivo Series 2 40hrs w/HMO Lifetime (paid for HMO)
Phillips PTV300 60hrs Lifetime Turbonet (My first!! Bought it the day it came out! Will always hold a special place in my heart!) My brother is currently using this!
JavaHMO Rocks!!!!
Gateway MCE PC 901XL 200gb P4 3g
Stainless Steele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #84 (Print)
Tangent
Format c:\*.*

Quote:
why was Sarg miffed at that? can someone in the military tell us what faux pas did Crashdown do by lifting the tags and taking them with him?

Those tags should have been left to mark the bodies. Ever notice how dog tags are actually two tags, one on a shorter chain attached to the first? That's so you can remove the shorter tag to take back as identification for who was lost while the other tag stays on the body to identify it.
Tangent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #85 (Print)
mgarn
Mgarn

You have some really good points that I agree with, but I think it all boils down to the question "What is the endgame of the cylons?" It's obvious that they have had infiltrators in the fleet before, and most likely still do. Yet they haven't tracked the humans down and slaughtered them. I wonder if they are just culling the herd, perhaps for breeding stock.

The Cylons have improved themselves over the course of time and achieved human form well before they began attacking the humans. Is it a cycle that the humans and the cylons go through every so many millenia? Is that why they are always insisting that "This has happenned before and it will all happen again"? They can't be motivated by the desire to destroy the human race, since they are obviously hitting them with the kid gloves on. When the ship was invaded in the last episode, they used old tactics that the DIC (drunk in charge) was an expert on. They could wipe them all out if they wanted to, so what game are they playing?

Oh, and I for one am pretty much convinced that either the prisoner politician (whose name I can't remember right now) and/or Tigh's wife are cylon. But that's just me.

Last edited by mgarn : 08-01-2005 at 02:10 PM. Reason: My typing skills are terrible
mgarn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 02:12 PM   #86 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
Yeah, I know. But at first, it makes it seem like the Chief is responsible. And I was *so* ready to call Foul.

I loved the way the chief looked at his gun after the Cylons blew up. The "whoa! magic gun?!?" look, right before he turns to see the hovering raptor (in what was just about the only hard sci-fi moment in the episode).

AK
akaye is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #87 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023
Not if you're firing a gun and hopped up on adrenaline from 3 robots gunning for you.

Yup...Auditory Exclusion...real life combat phenomenon.

AK
Old 08-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #88 (Print)
akaye

Quote:

You're also supposed to bring the bodies home...BSG military customs may differ from ours.

I got the sense that chief noticed that LT was getting obsessive about the lost men, and the dog tag thing was just a device they used to illustrate.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #89 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtonra

Please help...

I suggest you go here. All you will ever want to know. (You may have to change the pulldown at the top to "show all episodes" in order to get back to the miniseries.)

The person who covered the miniseries didn't seem to like it much but the one covering the series is definitely a fan.

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #90 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe

Let's all sing together:
o/' The man who shot Liberty Valence...He shot Liberty Valence...He was the bravest of them all.... o/'