July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2005, 10:23 AM   #121 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
That's simple prejudice (on the part of the colonists). I assume you would agree that there are difference between human beings and machines; the people on the show can't find any except for Balthar's test, which only seems to show that Spylon DNA degenerates faster than baseline human DNA when exposed to radiation..

I only peripherally remeber the details of Baltar's technobabble description of how his detector works, but I don't think that was it.
Adama hypothesised that the radiation did something to "the silica relays in their cylon brains" or some such.

Quote:
And I think the prejudice angle is deliberate. These people's reaction to the Spylons is irrational--they hate them, and refuse to accept that some of them might be effectively human. I think that will play a major role down the line.

I think you're right...that plot line echos Witch Hunts, McCarthyism, Racial Profiling, etc.
Nonetheless it IS on-screen evidence, weak and biased though it may be, and I will take what actually happens on screen over fan theory everytime until something else on screen contradicts or clarifies it.

If nothing is said on screen (a la spine glow) that's a different matter.

AK
akaye is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #122 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023
If they're humans, how do they have the strength, speed, and glowing spines?
It's obvious they take Cylon Steroids. I mean, the clues are all there. There's no reason NOT to think that.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #123 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
If they're humans, how do they have the strength, speed, and glowing spines?

See here for one possible theory.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #124 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

And do bear in mind that the factor determining what constitutes a species is reproduction. So biologically, at least, the Spylons are technically human.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #125 (Print)
latrobe7
anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaye
I only peripherally remeber the details of Baltar's technobabble description of how his detector works, but I don't think that was it.

Actually, from what I remember I think Rob is right. Also, the Cylons suseptability to radiation is established early on when the PR (Doral) guy is left behind at the supply depot in the mini-series.
latrobe7 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #126 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
And do bear in mind that the factor determining what constitutes a species is reproduction. So biologically, at least, the Spylons are technically human.

they are clearly sentient...

the cylons are what humans would like to be...they can be stronger, faster, and never die...they are the evolution!

Old 08-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #127 (Print)
latrobe7
anomaly

Quote:

if they're human they should be able to reproduce among themselves. There would be far more than 12 Cylon models pretty quickly. Also, we haven't seen any young Cylons, even when Boomer was on the basestar and surrounded by other Boomers, they all appeared exactly the same age; like they where created in "batches" or they don't age. Either way, they don't seem to be reproducing like humans - yet.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #128 (Print)
TAsunder

Maybe they can reproduce but don't choose to do so. They seem to value a human/cylon hybrid as something special, so maybe their goal was never to reproduce among themselves.
TAsunder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-02-2005, 10:59 AM   #129 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7
if they're human they should be able to reproduce among themselves. There would be far more than 12 Cylon models pretty quickly. Also, we haven't seen any young Cylons, even when Boomer was on the basestar and surrounded by other Boomers, they all appeared exactly the same age; like they where created in "batches" or they don't age. Either way, they don't seem to be reproducing like humans - yet.

for each model, there has to be a first...the first model could then have the brain downloaded into a fully grown model...but how was the first model created and indoctrinated?

how different is each model and how connected are all the versions to the same model to each other...all these are questions...

but the FIRST of a model is key...I think it cannot be a clone and it was grown from at least emotional -- if not physical -- infancy...

Old 08-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #130 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7
Actually, from what I remember I think Rob is right. Also, the Cylons suseptability to radiation is established early on when the PR (Doral) guy is left behind at the supply depot in the mini-series.

The radiation thing is established prior to that with the guy they found in the depot in the first place, and that's the scene I describe where Adama states his "silica relay" hypothesis or whatever he said, and I'm quite willing to accept that Adama undertands Cylon technology far better than us.

In short:
Evidence that Cylons are human: They appear human to almost all human observations.
Evidence that they are not human: Everything else that has been actually done or said so far in the show.

AK
Old 08-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #131 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
for each model, there has to be a first...the first model could then have the brain downloaded into a fully grown model...but how was the first model created and indoctrinated?

how different is each model and how connected are all the versions to the same model to each other...all these are questions...

but the FIRST of a model is key...I think it cannot be a clone and it was grown from at least emotional -- if not physical -- infancy...

You say "indoctrinated" and "grown emotionally". I, and the admittedly biased and inflamed humans of the show say "programmed."

AK
Old 08-02-2005, 11:05 AM   #132 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
The radiation thing is established prior to that with the guy they found in the depot in the first place, and that's the scene I describe where Adama states his "silica relay" hypothesis or whatever he said, and I'm quite willing to accept that Adama undertands Cylon technology far better than us.

I'm sorry, but that's silly...Adama is a military person...he has no science background and was exposed to this situation very early in the conflict...he made a wild guess...I'll take Baltar's analysis over Adama's guess, if you don't mind!

Old 08-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #133 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
You say "indoctrinated" and "grown emotionally". I, and the admittedly biased and inflamed humans of the show say "programmed."

AK

I use the word indoctrinated a lot because that is the word Boomer used...

Old 08-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #134 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's silly...Adama is a military person...he has no science background and was exposed to this situation very early in the conflict...he made a wild guess...I'll take Baltar's analysis over Adama's guess, if you don't mind!

Excuse me, but _I'M_ a military person, and _I_ have a science background and so does everyone else in my unit. Adama has to have had plenty of experience and training with not only the human's most advanced technology (like they used to create the Cylons) but also with the, admittedly pre-evolution, Cylon techology he was fighting against. Know your enemy.

If someone would post Baltar's dialog about the relevent stuff, I'd appriciate it, because as I said, the only part I recall is the part about detecting synthetic molecules which seems to put Baltar's theory more on my side, or at least not against me.

Is this theory about "faster DNA decay" from the show or just more fan theory?

AK
Old 08-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #135 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
I use the word indoctrinated a lot because that is the word Boomer used...

Please remind me of the context...was this is the many boomers talking to boomer scene, or one of the helo scenes?

AK
Old 08-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #136 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

Quote:
..., the president's aide, the cute black girl he likes, the Chief, the Chief's assistant, the medic that appeared on Kobol,...etc. are all candidates as agents...

Just for the record, that's Billy, Dualla, Tyrol, Cally and Selix.

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #137 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
If someone would post Baltar's dialog about the relevent stuff, I'd appriciate it, because as I said, the only part I recall is the part about detecting synthetic molecules which seems to put Baltar's theory more on my side, or at least not against me.

Wasn't that before he actually knew what he was doing?

But that would be easy to detect--just put it under a microscope.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #138 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Please remind me of the context...was this is the many boomers talking to boomer scene, or one of the helo scenes?

AK

They were on Caprica...it was raining and Boomer and Helo were on the run...Helo said something about the cylons and she said something along the lines of "maybe they don't know any better...maybe they have to fight the way they have been indoctrinated..." she was really reaching out to Helo in a bit of despair and soul searching...

I wish I could remember the actual words...because I think she also mentioned "since childhood" or something along those lines...

Helo responded with something along the lines of "F them, they are toasters"...and she just dropped the subject...it was a very powerful scene and was not an accident...the Boomer models have been fighting and soul searching all the time...

Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #139 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl
Just for the record, that's Billy, Dualla, Tyrol, Cally and Selix.

as you can tell; I am really, really, really bad with names

Old 08-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #140 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
At this point, the writers have written things so that it can go either way with just a bit of explanation, though.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #141 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
At this point, the writers have written things so that it can go either way with just a bit of explanation, though.

...which makes it so much fun to argue about!

Old 08-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #142 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
Quote:

Does not!

Old 08-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #143 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Does not!

I agree.

er...I mean...no...

oh well...I blew it...

Old 08-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #144 (Print)
akaye

Quote:

Definitely.

Which reminds me...if I should happen to dissapear from these forums shortly, in NO WAY should that be construed as me conceding to your arguments...it's just that if I don't stop discussing Cylon technology soon, and get back to developing real technology, my boss is going to start noticing my sudden drop in productivity....

BTW...Boomer: a Cylon. . . Baltar: a weasly, lying, traitor only out to save himself.... Adama: an honest, straight talking well informed military man.

If in conflict, I'll take Adama's guesses over those other two's 'statements of fact' anyday.

The only Cylon dialog I accept as truthful is the stuff between two Cylons with no humans around, like Doral and 6, or the whole bunch of them at the end of the mini.

AK
Old 08-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #145 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
BTW...Boomer: a Cylon. . .

On an unrelated note, was anyone else suprised that they revealed Boomer as a Cylon so early? Since Boomer is one of our beloved original series characters, I figured they'd leave her as a sleeper for several seasons. It's kinda cool, but if it ends up with us losing Boomer as a colonial good-guy, I'll be upset. MAybe she'll turn into the "good cylon," like Worf, or Teal'q.

AK
Old 08-02-2005, 12:01 PM   #146 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Definitely.

Which reminds me...if I should happen to dissapear from these forums shortly, in NO WAY should that be construed as me conceding to your arguments...

have you been around this forum? of COURSE if you disappear it means you've conceded...the person with the last post on any topic is the one that wins the argument!

that's the rule!

it's just the way things are...no need to fight it...

Old 08-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #147 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
On an unrelated note, was anyone else suprised that they revealed Boomer as a Cylon so early? Since Boomer is one of our beloved original series characters, I figured they'd leave her as a sleeper for several seasons. It's kinda cool, but if it ends up with us losing Boomer as a colonial good-guy, I'll be upset. MAybe she'll turn into the "good cylon," like Worf, or Teal'q.

AK

I think the Helo/Boomer/baby story will linger as they all make it back to Galactica...

Old 08-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #148 (Print)
akaye

Quote:
have you been around this forum? of COURSE if you disappear it means you've conceded...the person with the last post on any topic is the one that wins the argument!

that's the rule!

it's just the way things are...no need to fight it...

Hmm...I see....

<quickly setting up auto-reply bot to answer every post with "Hmm...I see...">
AK
Old 08-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #149 (Print)
PJO1966
I'm baaaack!

I assume we'll be seeing Galactica-Boomer this week. We need to get the Chief's reaction to her actions.
PJO1966 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #150 (Print)
latrobe7
anomaly

Quote:

AK

I think they did it precisely because Boomer is a familiar name to us; like to say, "no one is safe". But I bet there is someone who is a sleeper that we don't suspect; it's fun to try to guess who (my guess this week is Roslin).

If Boomer becomes a "good-Cylon" - well, that would be a "shark-jump" moment for me. That just reeks of writers wanting their cake and to eat it too.