July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2005, 04:17 PM   #1 (Print)
TiVoPony
Got Kids? Get TiVo!

Big Grin Come And Get The New Software!

We love our beta testers. They're a great group of people.

And we get lots of applications from people wanting to be testers. People ping us everyday. Some even find their way to the beta application form on tivo.com and fill it out. Still, even though you may ask nicely, may beg, may bribe (ok, well, maybe not bribe), the only way to get a look at unreleased software has been if we select you.

That's about to change. We're about to try something new.

We're in the final steps of qualifying some new software for TiVo standalone recorders. There's already a beta team in place, has been for months (and if you're in that beta, we do love you, but ignore this note...it's not for you). The official release of the software, where it automatically goes out to everyone, is a matter of weeks away, not months.

For those of you who wanted to be in that beta, but can't wait for the official release...we have an opportunity for you. Call it a preview beta. Call it an open beta. Call it a discrete peek behind the scenes. But on a first come, first served basis we'll be making the new software available to you. All you have to do is sign up (the link is below) and acknowledge a couple of caveats (there are always caveats, aren't there?).

Caveat #1: Confidentiality. You've got to sign an non-disclosure agreement with us. Standard stuff for our beta testers. The form is online, just follow the link below.

Caveat #2: Keep Quiet. You can't talk about the new software or the preview beta anywhere. Except within the special online forum we've set up. That means no discussion here on tivocommunity.com. Or on AVS. Or elsewhere on the net. Or to your friends. Just don't talk about it! Except on the special forum, which we'll give you access to after you sign up.

Caveat #3: Don't Call Customer Support. They won't be able to help you. You've got to agree not to call them about this software. Any issues should be reported to the special forum mentioned above.

Think of it as a special club. If you tell everyone our secrets, the club isn't that special anymore, now is it?

Why would you want this? I'll tell you up front that it's a minor release, not a major one. But there's a lot of groundwork buried within. But should you get it? Well, if you own a 540 or a 590 prefix recorder that's experienced macroblocking with the previous release, you'll probably want this. If you have a TiVo-powered DVD Recorder or DVD Player and would really like to have TiVoToGo asap, you'll probably want this. If you'd like to have network support within Guided Setup, you'll probably want this. Or if you just want to be near the front of the line for all of the other tweaks and improvements in this release, you'll probably want this. You may even get a peak at some other stuff. No promises though!

And, if you've always wanted to be one of the elite core of beta testers for our products, this is certainly an opportunity to step forward, say hi, and impress us with your feedback. That's always better than filling in a form, right?

You can sign up by clicking here.

Read everything carefully, and fill the form out for each DVR you'd like to have participate. Have your fifteen digit service number ready!

Come take a peek.

Cheers,
Pony

Old 08-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #2 (Print)
TiVoPony
Got Kids? Get TiVo!

ps - This is not for DIRECTV/TiVo recorders. Only for Series2 TiVo standalone recorders.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #3 (Print)
Outbreak

Sweet!!! Already signed up! I'm DYING to see this! THANK YOU!
Outbreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #4 (Print)
peteypete

Cool, I signed up my two tivos already!!
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #5 (Print)
Xab

Signed up my RS-TX20 =) Thanks TivoPony
Xab is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 PM   #6 (Print)
Glued2TiVo
Executive Sweet

Send a message via AIM to Glued2TiVo
I would apply for it, but I'm afraid that it will be another 7.1a(b) disaster...

Glued2TiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #7 (Print)
azitnay

Send a message via ICQ to azitnay Send a message via AIM to azitnay Send a message via MSN to azitnay
If you were disappointed by 7.1, then this is the perfect chance to get rid of it and onto the new software, which might fix your problem!

Drew
azitnay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #8 (Print)
csyria

Send a message via AIM to csyria
Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
If you were disappointed by 7.1, then this is the perfect chance to get rid of it and onto the new software, which might fix your problem!

Drew

Even if you didn't have problems with 7.1, come play with the new version. You'll like it!
csyria is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:37 PM   #9 (Print)
akp
Reality Engineer

Can't be much worse than the 'beta' testing I have been doing with the officially released software...

Since I have two identical Series2 TiVos that are currently having problems communicating with eachother, I would want to either have the Beta on both or neither ... should I try signing up twice (once with each 15 digit code) and hope for the best, or try to cram both 15 digit codes in the form?

Old 08-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #10 (Print)
azitnay

Send a message via ICQ to azitnay Send a message via AIM to azitnay Send a message via MSN to azitnay
Definitely don't cram the two in together... That'll most likely just cause neither of your units to end up correctly in their database (it's not wise to assume a human will be reading each one of these).

You might just have to take your chances, or perhaps Pony will chime in.

Drew
Old 08-05-2005, 05:45 PM   #11 (Print)
akp
Reality Engineer

Agreed, I thought better of the cramming idea

I went ahead and submitted both back-to-back and will hope for the best.

What is this "next couple of weeks" stuff? I want new bugs now!

Old 08-05-2005, 05:48 PM   #12 (Print)
mearlus

TiVoPony said to fill it out for each DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony

You can sign up by clicking here.

Read everything carefully, and fill the form out for each DVR you'd like to have participate. Have your fifteen digit service number ready!

Come take a peek.

Cheers,
Pony
mearlus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #13 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Cheers indeed, Pony!

The form indicates that we'll be notified if we're accepted, any idea when we should expect notification?
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #14 (Print)
TiVoPony
Got Kids? Get TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
Cheers indeed, Pony!

The form indicates that we'll be notified if we're accepted, any idea when we should expect notification?

Not until next week I expect.

Pony

Old 08-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #15 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Not until next week I expect.

Pony

Excellent, thanks as always!
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #16 (Print)
timstack8969

Software Update

What kind of new update will we see with the new software??? Maybe a new "IPG"???
timstack8969 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #17 (Print)
justmike
This space for rent

Done & Done!
justmike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #18 (Print)
Gregor
Outinsider

Location: Inside, or Outside, it all depends on your frame of refrence.
Done
Gregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 07:17 PM   #19 (Print)
DavidTigerFan
Itchin' for Vegas

Send a message via AIM to DavidTigerFan Send a message via Yahoo to DavidTigerFan
Sometimes I think us DirectTV folks ride the short bus in Tivo's eyes. I know you guys have no control over what goes in considering Dtv says "Hey we want this" and you guys deliever, but still, we seem to miss out on a ton of stuff.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:22 PM   #20 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Caveat #3: Don't Call Customer Support. They won't be able to help you.

That's considered Rule #1 in this house.

Quote:

Why would you want this? I'll tell you up front that it's a minor release, not a major one. But there's a lot of groundwork buried within. But should you get it? Well, if you own a 540 or a 590 prefix recorder that's experienced macroblocking with the previous release, you'll probably want this. If you have a TiVo-powered DVD Recorder or DVD Player and would really like to have TiVoToGo asap, you'll probably want this. If you'd like to have network support within Guided Setup, you'll probably want this. Or if you just want to be near the front of the line for all of the other tweaks and improvements in this release, you'll probably want this. You may even get a peak at some other stuff. No promises though!

Oops! Looks like I saw the bride before the wedding.

No thanks for me.

Beta Plus testers enjoy!!!

Old 08-05-2005, 07:49 PM   #21 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan
Sometimes I think us DirectTV folks ride the short bus in Tivo's eyes. I know you guys have no control over what goes in considering Dtv says "Hey we want this" and you guys deliever, but still, we seem to miss out on a ton of stuff.

True.

But most of the DirectTivo snobs (and I am certainly not putting you in that catagory) are constantly talking about dual tuners this and digital audio that.

And you do also realize that Tivo wants DirectTivos to have this cool stuff, and it's DirectTv that says no.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 08:03 PM   #22 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
True.

But most of the DirectTivo snobs (and I am certainly not putting you in that catagory) are constantly talking about dual tuners this and digital audio that.

And you do also realize that Tivo wants DirectTivos to have this cool stuff, and it's DirectTv that says no.

Totally true, TB.

I am one of the weirdos that wish DirecTV would cut TiVo loose totally and allow TiVo to take the boxes back over. I'd gladly pay my TiVo fee straight to them to get the full advantages of a Series 2.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #23 (Print)
TreborPugly
Unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan

But people with standalones also pay a ton more, both for the box and the service...

Would you start paying $13/month for the extras?

Old 08-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #24 (Print)
Glued2TiVo
Executive Sweet

Send a message via AIM to Glued2TiVo
Ok. I think I might actually do this. But before I do, I have one question:
If I dont want a wireless set-up, or TiVo to Go is it worth it? Im not asking for details. What I'm asking is if there are gonna be like speed improvements or more detailed screens? Be a vauge as you want as long as you can answer my question.
Basiclly what I'm asking: Are there any minor improvements that I will notice.. All I want is a yes or no. Thanks!

Glued2TiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 PM   #25 (Print)
SueAnn

Send a message via AIM to SueAnn Send a message via MSN to SueAnn
Pick Me ! ! ! Pick Me ! ! !

Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 PM   #26 (Print)
dwarner

Macroblocking?

Quote:
Why would you want this? I'll tell you up front that it's a minor release, not a major one. But there's a lot of groundwork buried within. But should you get it? Well, if you own a 540 or a 590 prefix recorder that's experienced macroblocking with the previous

Macroblocking? Is this the momentaty feeezing with large blocks of pixels that happens even during relatively static scenes?
So, my recorder's model number, begining with 240, os ineligible for this beta?
dwarner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #27 (Print)
bluetex
Wha?

Great Idea TiVoPony! Open Betas remind me of the good ole days of the Internet where the brave and enlightened blazed the trail for everyone else.

Exciting stuff. Count me in!

Jeff

Old 08-05-2005, 09:39 PM   #28 (Print)
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarner
Macroblocking? Is this the momentaty feeezing with large blocks of pixels that happens even during relatively static scenes?
So, my recorder's model number, begining with 240, os ineligible for this beta?

240's are certainly eligible... But the macroblocking problem was supposed to be fixed in 7.1b on 240's. 5xx units are another story.

This is primarily talking about macroblocking during channel changing, BTW.

Drew
Old 08-05-2005, 11:51 PM   #29 (Print)
Tensai

Snubbed Again :(

Quote:
But people with standalones also pay a ton more, both for the box and the service...

Would you start paying $13/month for the extras?

I get all excited when I heard about this and signed up both of my Tivo's....

Both Series 2 DirecTivo's.

It's such a shame that all the new things, whether it be Home Media or whatever new is coming down the pipes, totally ignores a significant portion of the user base. Especially those of us who have owned these machines practically since day one (and I would point out that in the early days, we did pay the regular monthly subscription fees. So I would gladly pay $10 or more a month for added features). I still wouldn't trade them for the world, and I know that DirecTV is making plans to move on sometime in the near future... I just wish that I didn't have to leave Tivo behind at the same time.

I know it's not in Tivo's control, I understand that.

Please... DirecTivo owners are still loyal Tivo customers... but for how much longer?

-Tensai

Last edited by Tensai : 08-05-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Tensai is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2005, 11:58 PM   #30 (Print)
csyria

Send a message via AIM to csyria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensai
Sigh,

I get all excited when I heard about this and signed up both of my Tivo's....

Both Series 2 DirecTivo's.

It's such a shame that all the new things, whether it be Home Media or whatever new is coming down the pipes, totally ignores a significant portion of the user base. Especially those of us who have owned these machines practically since day one. I still wouldn't trade them for the world, and I know that DirecTV is making plans to move on sometime in the near future... I just wish that I didn't have to leave Tivo behind at the same time.

Please... DirecTivo owners are still loyal Tivo customers... but for how much longer?

-Tensai

As it was mentioned above, TiVo would love to let you have all the cool features you want and test the new software. But, DIRECTV won't let them. DIRECTV is the one saying you can't have TTG, or HME. As long as your fee is going to DIRECTV and not TiVo, you sadly are really DIRETV DVR customers.
csyria is offline Report Bad Post Report Post