TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #121 (Print)
skubish

Its up to all you beta testers to make sure this new software works. I don't want another disaster like 7.0. I still have this "Macro-blocking" and it sucks. 4 months is too long to fix this problem. I checked back in the forums after a hiatus to see the status but alas no change.

Don't drink the cool-aid...tell Tivo all the problems with 7.2 so they can fix them before public release.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #122 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDreamer
I have said it before, ALL Tivo software is beta and this whole fiasco proves it once again.

You are dead wrong. TiVo software wasn't Beta until HMO - which has advanced to Beta2 in the interim.

Seperately: The menno is confused. He apparently misread something. He's not in the Beta, he's the Bait. Understandable mistake.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #123 (Print)
angel35

Send a message via AIM to angel35 Send a message via Yahoo to angel35
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay
Menno-

Can you clear something up? Did you get an e-mail from TiVo saying you had been accepted to the beta and would be getting new software....or did it just arrive unannounced and you assumed from that that you were in the beta program?

(If the first, then someone keyed a number wrong. If the second, then Customer Support should be ready to support you...and you shouldn't need to use the word "beta" when talking with them.)

I got this update , did not get a e mail. All it is its an up date. No one said your a beta tester or any thing like that
So be cool its what it is. In my case its an update thats all

O.K.

Toshiba RS-TX20

Pioneer DVR-57TH

Tivo-540
angel35 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2005, 01:34 PM   #124 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-ASK
What is wrong with you people? Can't you read what he wrote? He did not sign up for the beta program and was one of Tivo's few customers that got the update any way. TivoPony made it clear in another thread that a few customers who were unware of the beta got the new update just so they could see what would happen. Here's what he wrote:

Get off this guys case and stop jumping to conclusions. He did not sign a NDA.

Menno, send a Private Message (PM) to TivoOpsMgr or TivoPony and explain to them your problem. You can also send them E-Mail, go to this thread and get their E-Mail address from their signature at the bottom of their post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...t=253874&page=3

Y-ASK

Y-ASK is correct here after actually reading and comprehending Menno's post and all the noise of arguing/whining is not helping the person out. he obviosuly tried reading the other threads and could not make heads nor tails out of what info is contained in all the dueling posts. The threads so rarely stay on topic here anymore as someone has to come along and prove how "smart" they are by posting widely divergent misinformation and not actiually read the posts and get the actual facts of the post they are responding to straight first.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-14-2005, 01:36 PM   #125 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay
If the second, then Customer Support should be ready to support you...and you shouldn't need to use the word "beta" when talking with them.

Indeed, I think this would be key when dealing with Customer Support. Don't mention the word beta, just tell them you received a new update without asking, and tell them what your problem is.

Mentioning "beta" is just going to send the CS reps into a "can't talk to you" mode, as TiVoPony explained in the original post here.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:44 PM   #126 (Print)
TechDreamer

HDTivo said:
Quote:
You are dead wrong. TiVo software wasn't Beta until HMO - which has advanced to Beta2 in the interim.

You make a good point, the bugs in Tivo before HMO were small and bearable. I think there were actually more hardware problems before, but now it seems to have switched to software.
TechDreamer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 01:08 AM   #127 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Send a message via ICQ to TheNumberSix
Got 7.2

I got the 7.2 update and I certainly never signed up for an open beta, closed beta or any other kind of beta test. And I Most certainly never signed an NDA.

I now have 7.2.0-oth-01-2-264, running on my Toshiba SD-H400.

The only differences is that it restarted, and I got a "Ethernet Detected" message, which was set up months ago. Wierd that.

Anyway, there's a new setting under "Account Settings" that's called "Copyrights and trademarks" that takes you to a legal screen. Yay.

The Music & Photos menu item is now called Music & Photos & More. Going under that, I now have two items: Manually add a server and "Enable Home Media Applications" which requires three thumbs and an Enter to activate.

Other than that, no changes I can see. No message related to the service update either. (Just the standard Ethernet Detected one.)
TheNumberSix is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 04:54 AM   #128 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumberSix
The Music & Photos menu item is now called Music & Photos & More. Going under that, I now have two items: Manually add a server and "Enable Home Media Applications" which requires three thumbs and an Enter to activate.

Looks like HME is now easily turned on by the user.

Have you downloaded the IFC stuff yet? How does it look? Can you TTG or MRV it? What are the times/qualities/filesizes/resolutions reported?

Last edited by HDTiVo : 08-16-2005 at 05:19 AM.
HDTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 06:00 AM   #129 (Print)
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

Send a message via AIM to bud8man Send a message via Yahoo to bud8man
Um..so is that your screen shot on engadget #6?

Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #130 (Print)
beejay

Quote:
No message related to the service update either.

That's strange. I wonder if it is intentional. Every service update I've received (over the last 5 years) has had a message with it.

S1 - 63 hours (unsubscribed)

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops
Overkill?
beejay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:21 AM   #131 (Print)
Scrappy

I also received the 7.2.0-oth update on one of my TiVo series 2 recorders and I know I didn't sign up for the beta program or sign a NDA. I can't say I am very happy about getting this and also sort of mad about it.

I was having a problem with the TiVo not adding programs to the to do list. It was only adding programs for about one week out. All I had to do is unplug and replug the TiVo back in to fix the problem.

When looking into the problem I noticed the newer version of the software. I called TiVo customer support and asked them what the newest version of the software was and he said 7.1b. I then told him I have 7.2.0-oth and he said that they were now pushing that to customers and that was the newest. I asked if that was the beta version and he said no so we ended the phone call there.

What is really upsetting me is that I had called TiVo at least a year ago and did the opt out for privacy so no information is sent back to TiVo. Now that it would seem I'm part of this small group to get this update and they are collecting information about my DVR when I don't want that done!
Scrappy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #132 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy
What is really upsetting me is that I had called TiVo at least a year ago and did the opt out for privacy so no information is sent back to TiVo. Now that it would seem I'm part of this small group to get this update and they are collecting information about my DVR when I don't want that done!

I do not think they are collecting information from your DVR - they are just noting that you called in to customer service and what problem you had. The testing of the OS is done at this point with no need to pull logs or anything like that. Now it is gauging customer reaction and support call volumes and such so they can figure out how many rollouts a day they can support.

PS - did your problem start more than 5 days ago. In other words, was your problem of the to do list present before the 7.2 upgrade. Just curious.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #133 (Print)
TiVotion
Misanthropic Geek

I wonder if it is possible that someone trying to sign up for the beta entered the wrong TiVo service number? If the system is going only by service numbers and not matching that to name/address/phone, someone mistyping the wrong service number could possibly result in the wrong box getting the update, and that box might be someone who didn't ask for it...

Old 08-16-2005, 07:35 AM   #134 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVotion
I wonder if it is possible that someone trying to sign up for the beta entered the wrong TiVo service number? If the system is going only by service numbers and not matching that to name/address/phone, someone mistyping the wrong service number could possibly result in the wrong box getting the update, and that box might be someone who didn't ask for it...

no- this is deliberate by TiVo. the update is just about ready to roll and they are doing random user rollouts to gauge the amount of customer support generated and from that figure out how many rollouts a day they can do.
I would not expect a priority list this time around however
Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 AM   #135 (Print)
TivoGeezer
Boomer pushing 60

Send a message via AIM to TivoGeezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechDreamer
HDTivo said:

You make a good point, the bugs in Tivo before HMO were small and bearable. I think there were actually more hardware problems before, but now it seems to have switched to software.

I think some people are just too impatient with little things. I have had very few problems with all of the releases, including the beta, so far, and have gotten lots of advantages.

Sometimes I look so much like my Dad, I scare myself.

Last edited by unixadm : 08-16-2005 at 05:44 PM.
TivoGeezer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:47 AM   #136 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:

Why do you think they're collecting info?
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #137 (Print)
greg_burns
Now in HD

Send a message via MSN to greg_burns
Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoGeezer
I have finally found a TCFer to ignore. I looked back through some of your other posts and it seems you have nothing to say but b*tch, b*tch, b*tch.

That's what online forums are for, right?
greg_burns is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 AM   #138 (Print)
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
Why do you think they're collecting info?

I am guessing that they are watching the random units they sent the updates to from a by quote TivoPony which was in a closed thread also listed below.

“It is also possible that this source was an innocent customer. How? Well, as we creep up on a release date for new software, we start to test all of our systems. One way this is done is by sending the new code out, unannounced, to a small random number of customers. We then watch them carefully to see if they have issues (Are they calling customer support? Is the software downloading and installing ok from the production servers? Things like that). We have done a bit of this the last couple of days. And it turns out that that IFC showcase went to those people as well. There's the slimmest possibility that there wasn't an NDA violation at all.”

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...626#post3138626
Old 08-16-2005, 08:22 AM   #139 (Print)
pagefault

Quote:
I am guessing that they are watching the random units they sent the updates to from a by quote TivoPony which was in a closed thread also listed below.

“It is also possible that this source was an innocent customer. How? Well, as we creep up on a release date for new software, we start to test all of our systems. One way this is done is by sending the new code out, unannounced, to a small random number of customers. We then watch them carefully to see if they have issues (Are they calling customer support? Is the software downloading and installing ok from the production servers? Things like that). We have done a bit of this the last couple of days. And it turns out that that IFC showcase went to those people as well. There's the slimmest possibility that there wasn't an NDA violation at all.”

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...626#post3138626

Unless you have signed some other agreement like the open beta, they are not collecting any data that they would not otherwise collect. Tivo is very serious about its privacy policy.

I'm sure they are monitoring to make sure that TSNs that have the new software continue to check in on schedule, and if a customer with one of those TSNs calls support, they tally it up so they can gauge how much of a support effort they will need as they ramp up the rollout, however these are things that they can and/or do track on boxes running other versions of the software. In the end they have some statistic, like 3% of customers who got the new software called support, and 1% stopped calling in regularly (just making up numbers here).
pagefault is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 08:26 AM   #140 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud8man
Um..so is that your screen shot on engadget #6?
No. Like I said, I just got the update Monday night. (Aug 15th).
Old 08-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #141 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
Looks like HME is now easily turned on by the user.

Have you downloaded the IFC stuff yet? How does it look? Can you TTG or MRV it? What are the times/qualities/filesizes/resolutions reported?

I did not see any kind of options to download films or shows. What I listed above is all I saw. I did enable HME apps and I said "Enabled" but that was it. To disable required thumbs and Enter.

Without a message, I really don't know what the update was about except for the things I noted.

I have not played around with the machine much however. (I was dead tired when I noticed the service update screen. I couldn't stay up anymore, heh.) However based on what I have seen, there seem to be no problems so far. All my shows are still there and everything is running smoothly.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:39 AM   #142 (Print)
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
Unless you have signed some other agreement like the open beta, they are not collecting any data that they would not otherwise collect. Tivo is very serious about its privacy policy.

I'm sure they are monitoring to make sure that TSNs that have the new software continue to check in on schedule, and if a customer with one of those TSNs calls support, they tally it up so they can gauge how much of a support effort they will need as they ramp up the rollout, however these are things that they can and/or do track on boxes running other versions of the software. In the end they have some statistic, like 3% of customers who got the new software called support, and 1% stopped calling in regularly (just making up numbers here).

As I said before I did not sign up for the beta. I am sure you are correct about what they are collecting and how they are collecting it. However, the quote below from their privacy police at http://www.tivo.com/5.11.3.asp would put them in violation of it because I had called and opted out long before this updated was pushed.

"TiVo also collects Diagnostic Information from a small number of randomly sampled TiVo DVRs for quality control purposes. If you subscribe to the TiVo Plus service and don't want your Anonymous Viewing Information and Diagnostic Information used in any way, simply tell us by writing to us or calling us at 1-877-367-8486."
Old 08-16-2005, 09:02 AM   #143 (Print)
angel35

Send a message via AIM to angel35 Send a message via Yahoo to angel35
IT seems like i have a little different software number my is 7.2.0 tak.0.1.2.275. I have tak.and others have OTH. I have a pioneer DVR 57TH. I also got Music,Photos,more with outback door code.Inow have Galleon.

Toshiba RS-TX20

Pioneer DVR-57TH

Tivo-540
angel35 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #144 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Another thing I noticed is that the TiVo took two reboots to install the update. If memory serves, the last time I did service updates it only took one reboot.

I got one reboot that said "Installing Service Update" and then another one that said "Preparing Service Update".

Another small thing I noticed. I forced a connection this morning (mostly because I want to set up a SP for Rome on HBO and my guide data has been ending at 4PM on Sunday Aug 29 for two days now. I keep expecting it to get to 9 PM so I can add my show. Damn you, guide!) I started the connection and it was "Preparing to Connect, Housekeeping... " and all of that.

I hit the TiVo button to go back to the main menu to check something else while the download was proceeding.

I navigated back to the "connection" screen and instead of saying "Connect Now to the TiVo Service" it said "Connection in Progress, Check Status".
Old 08-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #145 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:

A whole bunch of folks have now reported getting 7.2 and no one has done this yet??? Where's the love????

Old 08-16-2005, 12:08 PM   #146 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
As I said before I did not sign up for the beta. I am sure you are correct about what they are collecting and how they are collecting it. However, the quote below from their privacy police at http://www.tivo.com/5.11.3.asp would put them in violation of it because I had called and opted out long before this updated was pushed.

"TiVo also collects Diagnostic Information from a small number of randomly sampled TiVo DVRs for quality control purposes. If you subscribe to the TiVo Plus service and don't want your Anonymous Viewing Information and Diagnostic Information used in any way, simply tell us by writing to us or calling us at 1-877-367-8486."

like I said before and you must have missed - the ylook at customer support calls and their servers. Their is no need to look at the logs on your TiVo as they have already done the diagnostic testing. They look to see if you call in with a problem.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:27 PM   #147 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Quote:
A whole bunch of folks have now reported getting 7.2 and no one has done this yet??? Where's the love????

As I said, I see no option to do this. My screen doesn't show any options for downloading shows.

I checked in "Showcases" and I had nothing in there except Tivolution magazine, TV Guide and something else that didn't seem like anything. (Same old stuff.)

If I could have downloaded a show, I would have tried it. The only changes I noticed I reported upthread.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:03 PM   #148 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
As I said, I see no option to do this. My screen doesn't show any options for downloading shows.

I checked in "Showcases" and I had nothing in there except Tivolution magazine, TV Guide and something else that didn't seem like anything. (Same old stuff.)

If I could have downloaded a show, I would have tried it. The only changes I noticed I reported upthread.

seems that getting the random rollout does not necessarily mean getting the download stuff
Old 08-16-2005, 01:06 PM   #149 (Print)
TivoGeezer
Boomer pushing 60

Send a message via AIM to TivoGeezer
Quote:

I thought we were not able to speak of the specific features available through the beta. If we were, it is possible I might have done this and may have even gotten and watched them by now, not that I am saying anything specific, just speculating.

Sadly, I was going to sign up my second Series 2 but see the program is now closed.

Sometimes I look so much like my Dad, I scare myself.
TivoGeezer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #150 (Print)
Stu_Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoGeezer
I thought we were not able to speak of the specific features available through the beta.

You are allowed to speak about the features of the new version of the software if you didn't sign an NDA (and TivoPony has already stated that they rolled it out to an unspecified number of boxes as a pre-rollout test). I guess we can't call the version that was rolled out to users that didn't opt-in a "beta". Seems pretty-much production to me. Maybe it has different features than that what is being tested in the 'real' beta.
Stu_Bee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post