THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #151 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoGeezer
I thought we were not able to speak of the specific features available through the beta.

yes, the beta should not be talked about in public.

I think HDTiVo is talking about random rollout people who signed no NDA nor asked for the software but just received it as part of the rollout test.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #152 (Print)
mmascari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
no- this is deliberate by TiVo. the update is just about ready to roll and they are doing random user rollouts to gauge the amount of customer support generated and from that figure out how many rollouts a day they can do.
I would not expect a priority list this time around however

Actually, how about a very selective priority list.

One where they can close down accepting new additions once it gets to a certain size without taking any abuse.

One where they can get the participants to agree not to discuss the software in public until a later date. Allowing for early detection of errors not found by the original beta testing and correction.

One where only people who really really really want it first are going to sign up and they will not be flooded by as many requests.

I'm not saying that's what this is, but along with the random roll-out, isn't this the same way the last update went. Random people and the priority list. Now, if the blow back from this method is similar to the the priority list, something different may be tried next time.
mmascari is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #153 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmascari
Actually, how about a very selective priority list.

One where they can close down accepting new additions once it gets to a certain size without taking any abuse.

One where they can get the participants to agree not to discuss the software in public until a later date. Allowing for early detection of errors not found by the original beta testing and correction.

One where only people who really really really want it first are going to sign up and they will not be flooded by as many requests.

I'm not saying that's what this is, but along with the random roll-out, isn't this the same way the last update went. Random people and the priority list. Now, if the blow back from this method is similar to the the priority list, something different may be tried next time.

the same except the priority list was used at release time to the public and no NDA was involved. this time 7.2 is still a few weeks out and it seems there were things they wanted to show that they did not want public just yet.

so yes, it did away with the priority list hassle and I am sure people will still moan about getting something they did not want. Hopefully this time it will just be features the ymoan about and not a legitimate complaint about the DVR not working.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #154 (Print)
angel35

Send a message via AIM to angel35 Send a message via Yahoo to angel35
Question options

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
A whole bunch of folks have now reported getting 7.2 and no one has done this yet??? Where's the love????

I had a option on tivo central to download IFC stuff,but when you click on all you got was the same message again.Its not enabledyet The message is now gone.So who knows when you can do this??

Toshiba RS-TX20

Pioneer DVR-57TH

Tivo-540

Last edited by angel35 : 08-17-2005 at 04:27 PM.
angel35 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 01:51 PM   #155 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel35
I had a option on tivo central to download IFC stuff,but when you click on all you got was the same massage again.Its not enable yet The massage is now gone.So who knows when you can do this??

a TiVo that does massages This is way better than the "do my laundry" feature.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #156 (Print)
Y-ASK
Why Ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumberSix
As I said, I see no option to do this. My screen doesn't show any options for downloading shows.

I checked in "Showcases" and I had nothing in there except Tivolution magazine, TV Guide and something else that didn't seem like anything. (Same old stuff.)

If I could have downloaded a show, I would have tried it. The only changes I noticed I reported upthread.

Do you have high-speed internet access or are you using the dial-up service? My guess would be that if you have the latter the S2 is smart enough to know not to allow the download service to activate or start. Downloads would not be very feasible over dial-up. Just a thought.

Y-ASK
Y-ASK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #157 (Print)
mmascari

Quote:
the same except the priority list was used at release time to the public and no NDA was involved. this time 7.2 is still a few weeks out and it seems there were things they wanted to show that they did not want public just yet.

That's just it. The priority list was at the same time as the random rollout took place. Remember all of the complaints about random people getting it before people on the priority list. The priority list was a few weeks ahead of the general rollout.

The big difference is the NDA, which has two effects. First, it stops any (most) public complaints/speculation on the changes until they want it to. Allowing for mid rollout fixes to unforeseen issues not already encountered, just like with 7.1 (remember 7.1b). Second, it keeps the number of early people to a manageable level, since those who don't like the NDA or the other warning information on the sign-up page will not sign up.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:02 PM   #158 (Print)
TiVoPony
Got Kids? Get TiVo!

Quote:
That's just it. The priority list was at the same time as the random rollout took place. Remember all of the complaints about random people getting it before people on the priority list. The priority list was a few weeks ahead of the general rollout.

I haven't been able to keep up with this entire thread, but just to correct a bit of information here, the priority list has always started at the beginning of a general rollout, never before. Also, we have always distributed software to a random sampling of customers prior to the general rollout. I've been here for every release, that's how it's gone.

The priority list in the past was intended to allow you to receive software earlier than other customers, but it never promised that you'd be at the very front of the line, ahead of everyone else. Once a general rollout begins we do start to fullfill the priority list, but we also provide software to an ongoing random mix of customers. It's something we have to do in order to get a true measure of how the rollout is being received, and how quickly we can continue to ramp the rollout. That's why you would have seen non-priority list customers receive software at the same time as priority-list customers.

For this release we have offered an Open Beta program, allowing customers to receive software prior to the general rollout, and slightly ahead of the pre-rollout random sampling we always do. That's earlier than our prior releases provided for.

Cheers,
Pony

Old 08-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #159 (Print)
TLTypeS

I just got 7.2 on my Sony 3000 last night. There is a performance improvement with the user interface, everything is much faster. Not sure if it's related to the new software or the reboot.
TLTypeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #160 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Send a message via ICQ to TheNumberSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-ASK
Do you have high-speed internet access or are you using the dial-up service? My guess would be that if you have the latter the S2 is smart enough to know not to allow the download service to activate or start. Downloads would not be very feasible over dial-up. Just a thought.

Y-ASK

I have 5Mb cable-modem internet. Both my TiVos have wired internet connections with great connectivity. I get very fast MRV transfers.

And as an added note: I have no issues whatsoever with getting the software early. I don't mind at all. But I sure wish I had a message telling me what had happened.

And as an other added note: I am very pleased with TiVo. I have never had *any* problems of significance with either unit. (I had TTG problems, mostly related to trying to get Nero to handle TTG files. Once I caved and bought Sonic MyDVD, I have had *no* problems whatsoever.)
TheNumberSix is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #161 (Print)
TechDreamer

Is the software that is going out to non-beta testers the final version?

Is that software a different version number than what the beta testers are getting?

Will these early non-beta testers get another download when the general rollout starts?

Last edited by TechDreamer : 08-18-2005 at 11:59 AM.
TechDreamer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2005, 10:36 PM   #162 (Print)
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

Send a message via AIM to bud8man Send a message via Yahoo to bud8man
Hey...A guide for Desktop 2.2....which you cannot download yet...but will let you send files back to your TiVo...

http://customersupport.tivo.com/use...series2_service

http://customersupport.tivo.com/kno...ic/tv251080.htm

Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #163 (Print)
TheNumberSix

So Now I found the new features

So I found some new features. I guess I had to wait for the first download after the service update.

Apparently I can listen to music from Best Buy and view slide shows that are provided by Nikon.

Screen shots attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0068.jpg (91.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0066.jpg (72.0 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0061.jpg (61.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 08-17-2005, 12:02 AM   #164 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
So I found some new features. I guess I had to wait for the first download after the service update.

Apparently I can listen to music from Best Buy and view slide shows that are provided by Nikon.

Screen shots attached.

The Best Buy and Nikon apps are in 7.1; they are old by about 6/7 months or more.

You probably just didn't have HME turned on before.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:15 AM   #165 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
The Best Buy and Nikon apps are in 7.1; they are old by about 6/7 months or more.

You probably just didn't have HME turned on before.

No I'd never turned on HME. And it's not turned on now. It's doing what you see with no HME activation whatsoever.

And I have no PCs running Tivo software anywhere on my network.

Beats me what's going on.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:45 AM   #166 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
No I'd never turned on HME. And it's not turned on now. It's doing what you see with no HME activation whatsoever.

And I have no PCs running Tivo software anywhere on my network.

Beats me what's going on.

In your previous post from this same thread, you said:

Quote:
The Music & Photos menu item is now called Music & Photos & More. Going under that, I now have two items: Manually add a server and "Enable Home Media Applications" which requires three thumbs and an Enter to activate.

That tells me that you enabled HME/HMA, which is why you can now see the Best Buy and Nikon apps.

In 7.1, you have to use a backdoor code to turn on HME. Apparently you found a new way to do the same. But the apps themselves are in 7.1 and have been for months.

I've used them since I received 7.1 back in March, after signing up on the infamous "priority list".

Old 08-17-2005, 01:07 AM   #167 (Print)
foureyedave19
Beware of Mac User!

Send a message via AIM to foureyedave19
Okay, I started a new thread for no reason I guess...Well, unless my dog signed an NDA, I am free to talk about my service update. I recieved the 7.2.0.oth01-2-540 update which I assume is model specific hence the 540 at the end. I did have the option to download the shows, I did recieve them, possibly overnight, possibly over two nights. Once I recieved them and saw 3 shows I had no intent on watching I did what most of you probably would have. I watched 30 seconds of each one to see the quality and well, it looked just as good if not better than my basic cable, but what did you really expect? Yes, there is a new section in Account & System Information called Copyright & Trademarks and yes it put me to sleep every time I tried to read through it. The most interesting part, which correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this update gives Widescreen support, which I don't recall. It was found in Settings > Video > TV Aspect Ratio and consists of a neat graphic of a 4:3 TV and a 16:9 TV. This may be somthing I overlooked though. They changed the Channel Settings feature. Eliminating the Channels I Recieve and compacting it into a "Channel List" with a better GUI incorperating the Thumbs up for marking a favorite channel and a checkbox for a recieved. Also, Under Audio, could you always control between Stereo, Mono, and SAP? All of my showcases are gone. The new IFC shows DID show up in my "View Recording History" (inside the To Do List) but mentioned nothing as to "downloaded' meaning once recieved they act as normal recordings. One thing I wished they had encorperated into the download service is an "elapsed download time" note in the recording, just for reference for I did not see the actual download take place. I hope this clear up a few things. Shoot me a question and I'll answer to the best of my ability. David Ziemlak

2 Series2 80 250GB Upgrade -Wireless
PB G4 12" (SD, 80Gb HD, 512Mb RAM...)
"Quotes Suck!" - Foureyedave19
foureyedave19 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #168 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foureyedave19
The most interesting part, which correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this update gives Widescreen support, which I don't recall. It was found in Settings > Video > TV Aspect Ratio and consists of a neat graphic of a 4:3 TV and a 16:9 TV.

Oh My Gawd!!!

480 lines of beautiful anamorphic resolution!

Old 08-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #169 (Print)
mmascari

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
That tells me that you enabled HME/HMA, which is why you can now see the Best Buy and Nikon apps.

In 7.1, you have to use a backdoor code to turn on HME. Apparently you found a new way to do the same. But the apps themselves are in 7.1 and have been for months.

These don't require HME/HMA. They are regular Photos and Music just published from the Internet. If you manually enter an IP for someone else who is publishing Music and Photos you can see their stuff too. There is an entire thread of people sharing music. This has been out for longer than 7.1.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:23 AM   #170 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog

I've used them since I received 7.1 back in March, after signing up on the infamous "priority list".

Yeah but I turned it off right away. If you look at the picture I posted, it even says in the menu "Enable Home Network Applications" The support for that is turned off. Once you enable HME it says "Disable Home Network Applications".

Quote:
If you manually enter an IP for someone else who is publishing Music and Photos you can see their stuff too. There is an entire thread of people sharing music. This has been out for longer than 7.1.

I don't have anything shared on my network. I've never cared about HME at all so I'm not familiar with it. My understanding was that you have to have Tivo Desktop running somewhere and add files to publish out to your TiVo.

I don't have TiVo Desktop running.

I'm undoubtedly missing something obvious here.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #171 (Print)
azitnay

Send a message via ICQ to azitnay Send a message via AIM to azitnay Send a message via MSN to azitnay
The Best Buy and Nikon apps are running on a remote server somewhere that your TiVo already knows about. They're no different than gold stars or anything else that shows up by default.

Drew
azitnay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #172 (Print)
TheNumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
The Best Buy and Nikon apps are running on a remote server somewhere that your TiVo already knows about. They're no different than gold stars or anything else that shows up by default.

Drew

Ah OK, so my Tivo is going out to a TiVo server (Or BB or Nikon) and showing me that even with HME disabled? OK. I got you. I'd never seen that before.

foureyedave19- I saw that aspect ratio stuff but most widescreen TV's already have zoom/4:3/16:9 stretch options. I couldn't tell the difference between having the TiVo output at 16:9 or by having my widescreen TV show 4:3 at 16:9 stretch. It looked very much the same to me. Did you see a big difference?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #173 (Print)
foureyedave19
Beware of Mac User!

Send a message via AIM to foureyedave19
Quote:
foureyedave19- I saw that aspect ratio stuff but most widescreen TV's already have zoom/4:3/16:9 stretch options. I couldn't tell the difference between having the TiVo output at 16:9 or by having my widescreen TV show 4:3 at 16:9 stretch. It looked very much the same to me. Did you see a big difference?

Unfortunately, I was unable to test this because my TiVo isn't on my HD 16:9 TV. At least not until I can record some high def picture. It was too much of a pain to get to the HD channels with the TiVo attached.

2 Series2 80 250GB Upgrade -Wireless
PB G4 12" (SD, 80Gb HD, 512Mb RAM...)
"Quotes Suck!" - Foureyedave19
foureyedave19 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #174 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
In your previous post from this same thread, you said:

to be clear
best buy and Nikon apps do not use HME but are simple music and file sharing desktop apps (though I have no idea how they are run at the head end - I assume a little more oomph than a PC running desktop)

they worked in 7.1 whether HME was on or off.
I recall they worked in 5x as well that had no HME at all but it has been a while since I saw 5x
Old 08-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #175 (Print)
angel35

Send a message via AIM to angel35 Send a message via Yahoo to angel35
Quote:
a TiVo that does massages This is way better than the "do my laundry" feature.

Sorry about that message

Toshiba RS-TX20

Pioneer DVR-57TH

Tivo-540
angel35 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2005, 05:56 PM   #176 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel35
Sorry about that message

that's the problem with early reports of new software and features - people read more into them then what is actually finally released

PS - just funning you angel35 - keep the posts coming
Old 08-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #177 (Print)
Stormspace
Disruptive Influence

Send a message via AIM to Stormspace
I just got 7.2 on one of my Tivos. So far looks like nothing special happened other than an extra item in the system information menu called copyright and privacy. That and an ugly computer icon now displays beside each of my HME apps.

Oh, and I had to agree to a privacy thing before the HME app would run.

w/linksys WUSB11 USB Adapter
Galleon 2.1 on 260GB WIN2000

"No daddy, it's a 181 hour tivo" - Margaret
Stormspace is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-18-2005, 08:52 AM   #178 (Print)
RojCowles

Got 7.2 yesterday ...

Just to add my 0.02c to what everyone else has mentioned (with apologies for duplicates )

1) System information shows I have 7.2.0-oth-01-2-130 on my old AT&T Series 2 130 model
2) Video option for 4:3 or 16:9 screen ratios in system setup
3) Auto-detected I have a wired ethernet network so used that by default and left me a message to say so (not sure if thats new, don't remember this behaviour from previous upgrades). Maybe indicates that 7.2 boxes can do the initial setup without a phone ???
4) Music & Photos is now Music, Photos & More
5) In M, P & M you have an option to explicitly enable / disable HME apps. Disabled by default.
6) Menus feel a little more responsive (??? no way to quantify though)
7) No change in TivoToGo transfer speed, ~800KB/s, maybe a tad faster ... again dunno.
8) I think I "lost" a few hours of recording time, 196 basic -> 190. Not wanting to jump to any hysterical conclusions though, maybe 7.2 has a more accurate measure of available storage than 7.1 ?
9) Channel lineup/favourite selection have been steamlined/combined. Someone else did a nice description of the new layout but I can't locate the message now (aplogies to whoever wrote it up !)
10) Saw a system information item

ServiceMap Version 14:TIVOPVR SpigotMap

Again may have been there all along but as I have *no* idea what it means thought I'd throw it out there.

I'd also like to say that the "double menu pick" menu issue thats affected older remotes seems slightly less but in fairness I can't as I've only had 7.2 for a day max. and I was at work/asleep for most of that time.

So far seems to be a pretty smooth upgrade, no glaring regressions on my box, slight performance boosts, subjectively, and I'd guess it lays the foundation for some nifty new services down the line.

--
Roj

Old 08-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #179 (Print)
JackShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud8man
Hey...A guide for Desktop 2.2....which you cannot download yet...but will let you send files back to your TiVo...

http://customersupport.tivo.com/use...series2_service

http://customersupport.tivo.com/kno...ic/tv251080.htm

Can we not transfer .Tivo files back to the TiVo? I have to convert them to MPEG first? That makes no sense to me.
JackShadow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-18-2005, 12:27 PM   #180 (Print)
jmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackShadow
Can we not transfer .Tivo files back to the TiVo? I have to convert them to MPEG first? That makes no sense to me.
It'd be rather silly of them not to include their own format in that. They're just mpeg2 files with a drm wrapper......

but, heay... stranger things than that have happened, eh?
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post