Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #31 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7
At first...

I haven't actually gotten through the whole podcast yet. It was late, and I fell asleep.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #32 (Print)
WinBear
Still Unwritten

Send a message via ICQ to WinBear Send a message via AIM to WinBear Send a message via Yahoo to WinBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac
I'm beginning to wonder if Ellen and Six aren't the same model of Cylon, just in different bodies.

I don't think different bodies so much as grown to different ages. They are very similar looking. In fact, it wouldn't take too much suspension of disbelief to think they are both Number Six at different ages.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #33 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinBear
I don't think different bodies so much as grown to different ages. They are very similar looking. In fact, it wouldn't take too much suspension of disbelief to think they are both Number Six at different ages.

that would be scary...thanks for ruining all my fantasies about Six

Old 08-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #34 (Print)
jimmymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinBear

Not just similar looking. I was struck by just how similarly they operate. The way Six manipulates Baltar is very similar to the way Ellen manipulates Tigh. It really stuck out in last night's episode, at least to me.
jimmymac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #35 (Print)
Droobiemus
Need better avatar

Send a message via AIM to Droobiemus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
when they were fighting and then started kissing and going at it, I nearly had a heart attack...that woman is too real to be a cylon...

You remember the scenes with Six and Baltar last season, right? Them Cylons do like them some action.

I am really hoping that Tigh's wife is a Cylon. Though I wonder now how things are going develop now that Adama's awake. I'm kinda hoping for a Mrs. Tigh/Tigh/Adama triangle for control of Galactica, even though it's Adama's ship. And it could happen: Adama's been in a coma for weeks, Tigh could manipulate what's going on, painting himself in a better light, and Mrs. Tigh could manipulate and warp things further.

And I'm thinking with the stunt that Lee just pulled with the President that it can't end well.

I didn't see the new Caprica squad thing coming. I guess that kinda solves the whole question in season one about who's been leaving supplies, etc. in random, abandoned Caprica buildings. I'm still on the fence about them and their leader, though. I'm also hoping that the leader isn't going to be a Starbuck love interest, though. That'd make the caprica storyline more complicated than it needs to be.

And for those thinking that Cally might be a Cylon... well, the way the shooting scene was shot (heh, no pun intended ), was in the same style as Boomer's scene in the season finale. Unless they're trying to make it a point that Cylons and humans aren't so different in their feelings....

Old 08-06-2005, 02:31 PM   #36 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droobiemus
I'm kinda hoping for a Mrs. Tigh/Tigh/Adama triangle for control of Galactica, even though it's Adama's ship. And it could happen: Adama's been in a coma for weeks, Tigh could manipulate what's going on, painting himself in a better light, and Mrs. Tigh could manipulate and warp things further.

I don't see that happening--Tigh so clearly didn't want to be in charge, and so clearly knew that he was blowing it; the look of relief on his face when he saw Adama standing there was so obvious, it bordered on the pathetic. I thought he was going to cry. No, I think Tigh is going to be 100% behind Adama, and would probably shoot anybody who tried to put him in charge again. Which puts Mrs. Tigh in an interesting position--she clearly wants power (whether she's human or Cylon), and she clearly won't get it through Tigh. What will she do? What will she do?!?
Quote:
And I'm thinking with the stunt that Lee just pulled with the President that it can't end well.

That's for sure. The thing about civil wars (and these writers are smart enough to know it) is that the war is effectively lost the moment it starts. A civil war CAN'T end well, because even when it's over, you have people standing, working, and living next to each other who were previously The Enemy. The timing of Adama's recovery (as I suggested up-thread) was perfect in the perfectly awful sense--he woke up moments after events had passed the point of no return, and now he's the one who has to deal with a monster mess not of his making.

The show has certainly kicked into high gear again, and once all the Caprica threads weave into the main narrative--hoo boy!

This show rocks. Might just be the best show on television.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #37 (Print)
Tangent
Format c:\*.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCleverUsername
Did you guys miss last season?

They had this whole arc going where Boomer seemed to be having self doubts like she didn't want to believe that she might be a Cylon. So she specifically went to Baltar and asked to be tested. The test was positive (they showed a close-up of the machine showing the result) but Baltar lied and said she wasn't a Cylon.

Right, but how would Tigh have known about that test? I'm sure Boomer didn't want to speak up and say "Hey, I have suspicions that I'm Cylon so I went to get tested"... My meaning was that by now in the show's timeline I expect that all pilots would have been tested so Tigh therefore would expect Boomer to have been tested and that it came back negative.
Tangent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #38 (Print)
Uncle Briggs
Bleeds Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
I thought about Kent State actually...

"Four dead in O-HI-O..."

Same # as killed on BSG.
I think you might be right. The scenarios are the same. The lyrics to the Beach Boys song, Student Demonstration Time, describe both situations.

They said the students scared the Guard
Though the troops were battle dressed
Four martyrs earned a new degree
The Bachelor of Bullets

(3) TCD5400140 upgraded to 363 hours each.
D-Link wired/Wireless network
Uncle Briggs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #39 (Print)
atrac
TiVolian Model One

Wow, another kickas* episode. SG-1 and Atlantis are nice appetizers, but this show is king of the hill!

So the one thing that kind of wears on my ears is Colonial Tigh's accent. He's got kind of an Irish/Canadian thing going on...it's a little odd. I've never heard anything like it before.

But realistically speaking since this is a different society in the far reaches of space (and putting aside the whole "English Language" aspect), perhaps he's got the best accent on the show.
atrac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 03:26 PM   #40 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
I didn't see the new Caprica squad thing coming. I guess that kinda solves the whole question in season one about who's been leaving supplies, etc. in random, abandoned Caprica buildings.

Boomer and Helo found one fallout shelter than some paranoid person had built for himself...that's all...I don't remember any convenient supplies left around the city...

Old 08-06-2005, 03:30 PM   #41 (Print)
questfortruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrac

So the one thing that kind of wears on my ears is Colonial Tigh's accent. He's got kind of an Irish/Canadian thing going on...it's a little odd. I've never heard anything like it before.

It's authentic Canukspeak, eh? I hear that accent all the time...

The title of the next episode (currently up on scifi.com) gives some hints, IMO, as to what the Cylons are up to as far as the, hybrid baby-harvesting goes.

Especially if we are to believe that Moore wants to make a statement about some of the biomedical ethical questions, that are current today.
questfortruth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #42 (Print)
chronatog7
Ill 'Gotten Gains!

Great Ep!
The Old man is back!
The interrogation scene was pretty awesome; add it with the one with Starbuck and the spylon and we have two of the best interrogation scenes in the series.
I was starting to miss the documentary/zoom styles in space. They showed the first one of the season, when the President was fleeing to Cloud 9.

An after though, we know that most of this season will be without Galactic going anywhere. The president have to wait for Starbuck to bring the arrow and decide what they can do in Kobol. Maybe, restock veggies? They still standing still in the middle of the pond. Also, I wonder how Starbuck and Helo will bring 50 militants with them?

Old 08-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #43 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to jwjody Send a message via Yahoo to jwjody
This show ROCKS!

I can still see the President under arrest, but I think Adama would reinstitute the quorom of 12. There doesn't seem to be a reason to have martial law.

Maybe it's walking the line too much but I thought if Adama comes back, brings back the government, that would settle the riots, and the President could come out of hiding.

Then since Apollo thought he was doing the right thing for the fleet Adama could sorta forgive him for his actions for trying to protect civil liberties.

It's going to be hard to reunite the fleet but there are some measures that can be taken.

Still wanna know where Caprica Boomer went. I made my guess that she went to get a ship and I still kinda think so. If she's not working with the Cylons anymore then the baby 6 is talking about to Baltar can't be Boomer's because Boomer got pregnant after she went on the legit run with Helo.

Is the 6 on Caprica the same one that was with Baltar? Could she be pregnant with Baltar's baby?

J

Old 08-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #44 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjody
I can still see the President under arrest, but I think Adama would reinstitute the quorom of 12. There doesn't seem to be a reason to have martial law.

Maybe it's walking the line too much but I thought if Adama comes back, brings back the government, that would settle the riots, and the President could come out of hiding.

I don't think so--15 minutes ago, sure, but now it's civil war, and Adama would have to basically cave in on everything to get the shipments going again. And not only would he probably not do that, but don't forget that it was the President's action that started all this in the first place, effectively stealing a military asset and putting it to personal use at a time when it was needed by the military, in violation of the agreement by which she was recognized as President in the first place. Adama ain't gonna forget that.

That's why I love the timing of all this--Tigh screwed everything up royally, and now Adama has to face the consequences. And I think he's not the kind of guy who will just blame Tigh and get on with his life; he's made it pretty clear that he's going to stand behind Tigh's actions and not second-guess him.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #45 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

what are his options? the ships want the president, not the council...the president is religious salvation to them...

If he gets rid of marshall law, the 12 will reinstitute the president...he can't have that...he's stuck...

what a great show!

Old 08-06-2005, 07:05 PM   #46 (Print)
latrobe7
anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjody
Then since Apollo thought he was doing the right thing for the fleet Adama could sorta forgive him for his actions for trying to protect civil liberties.

I can’t go with you on that one. I don’t think Adama will agree that he was doing the right thing for the fleet.

Also – and I have no military experience so please someone with experience correct me if I'm wrong - Lee Adama is a not a good officer. He's great at being one of the guys and can plan and lead a mission, like the Kobol SAR; but he has no respect for the chain of command and is always flying by seat of his pants it seems to me. I think Adama will feel this is yet another example of Lee undermining his command, and on another level, betrayal as Lee’s father.

I think forgiveness will take awhile.

BTW, I think Lee would be a very good, as well as, natural civilian leader…
latrobe7 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 07:30 PM   #47 (Print)
Fl_Gulfer
Retired, Beach Bum

We think the show is going straight down the toilet, I think mostly due to Edward James Almost saying he would stay on the show if they started introducing alien Beings and stuff. There is no excitement and its just a soap opera, and the jumping around between story-lines. It will never live up to the original BSG I doubt if the show will last with the writers they have now. [Just our opinion so don't flame.]

14 Hour Phillips HDR 312
Fl_Gulfer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #48 (Print)
chronatog7
Ill 'Gotten Gains!

As a side note, I just finished seeing the mini (again) and I was wondering
- What happened to Boxy?
- Helo's wound cleaned up pretty good in forty something days?
- I wonder who left the note about the other cylons to Adama?
- It was interesting that the person that certified the President was a Priest.

Just a few things that comes when you go back to basics. I been watching the series since day one and I think is excellent. It has it rough edges but is better than nothing.
I haven't followed up a series this close since the X-files (prior '98, lol).

Old 08-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #49 (Print)
Narkul

Quote:
It will never live up to the original BSG

This version is far more interesting to me. I quickly lost interest in TOS when I was a kid, however, I may now try to rewatch it if I can find it.

Quote:
There is no excitement and its just a soap opera

I personally cannot stand soap operas of any kind but really look forward to watching this every week. BSG has legs if the writing and acting stay at current levels.
Narkul is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #50 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronatog7
- It was interesting that the person that certified the President was a Priest.

God and religion is a central theme...so it makes perfect sense, actually...

I make a big distinction between soap opera and a human drama...

Old 08-06-2005, 10:36 PM   #51 (Print)
NoCleverUsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent
Right, but how would Tigh have known about that test? I'm sure Boomer didn't want to speak up and say "Hey, I have suspicions that I'm Cylon so I went to get tested"... My meaning was that by now in the show's timeline I expect that all pilots would have been tested so Tigh therefore would expect Boomer to have been tested and that it came back negative.
Baltar created the test and was carrying out the testing under Adama and Tigh's authority (they're the ones who sat down with him and asked him to do it), right? Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the test results were being passed along, even if they don't explicitly show it?

Boomer's doubts wouldn't necessarily matter. She could simply be another name in a batch of test subjects.
NoCleverUsername is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #52 (Print)
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer
We think the show is going straight down the toilet, I think mostly due to Edward James Almost saying he would stay on the show if they started introducing alien Beings and stuff. There is no excitement and its just a soap opera, and the jumping around between story-lines. It will never live up to the original BSG I doubt if the show will last with the writers they have now. [Just our opinion so don't flame.]

No flaming, but I strongly disagree with you. I tried re-watching the original series last year - boy was it bad! Didn't make it through the entire episode.

This new show, on the other hand, is extremely well written and acted.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2005, 11:59 PM   #53 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah
No flaming, but I strongly disagree with you. I tried re-watching the original series last year - boy was it bad! Didn't make it through the entire episode.

Me too. I found the old show unwatchable when I tried it again.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #54 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

I had never seen the OS until the marathon on Sci-fi last year...the first season was not bad...fun to watch in a kind of way!

the second season was totally unwatchable...

Old 08-07-2005, 12:37 AM   #55 (Print)
Tangent
Format c:\*.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCleverUsername
Baltar created the test and was carrying out the testing under Adama and Tigh's authority (they're the ones who sat down with him and asked him to do it), right? Wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that the test results were being passed along, even if they don't explicitly show it?

Boomer's doubts wouldn't necessarily matter. She could simply be another name in a batch of test subjects.

But the test result that he would have had to pass along would have been the positive result. The way I figure is that they had a set schedule of testing. Those in the most sensitive positions got tested first, then the next and so on. By the time Boomer shot Adama the pilots would have been tested which is why Tigh would assume that she had been tested and passed. Her earlier, out of order test was kept quiet by both Baltar and Boomer because he certainly wouldn't want to turn over the positive result and she wouldn't want to tell people that she had reason to believe she's a Cylon...
Tangent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #56 (Print)
latrobe7
anomaly

Quote:

Well, that’s definitely a fresh take and I certainly respect your opinion, but I couldn’t disagree more.

In regard to the OS, I loved it too, but this is something different and I think better. I think the writing is far more sophisticated this time around with story arcs that stretch over several episodes and are multi-layered. The OS storylines where one episode morality plays that where almost as “camp” as, say, Batman – OK, maybe Buck Rodgers or the A-Team. Remember the episode where Starbuck (maybe Apollo) was stranded on an “Old West” planet, and he had to fight the “gunslinger” cylon? I think the cylon was even wearing a vest and bandana, maybe a cowboy hat. I’ll take the new series “soap opera” over that old cheese any day. NTTAWWT
latrobe7 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2005, 01:59 AM   #57 (Print)
atrac
TiVolian Model One

Quote:

Heh heh. Edward James Almost. As much as I respect him as an actor (both on this show and "American Family"), I have to admit that "Almost" is pretty funny and made me laugh out loud.

But I'm actually surprised to hear that you don't like the show and think it's quickly getting worse. As another poster has said, I couldn't disagree more. But your opinion is certainly respected by me.

One question...who's "we?" Are you referring to you and your family or are you Borg or royalty?
atrac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2005, 04:27 AM   #58 (Print)
getbak

This week's episode convinced me more than ever that Ellen is Tigh's "Six", whether she's a cylon or not. As has been suggested, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ellen turns out to be a more-aged version of the Six model.

Did anyone else notice that when she left the room after Adama returned, she put her hand on the door frame as she walked out (and the shot lingered on it for a second)? Haven't we seen essentially that same shot with Six before?

I think it was the episode where "Dr. Godfrey" came aboard Galactica. I seem to remember a shot that followed Six up the stairs in Baltar's house on Caprica and as she rounded the corner, she put her hand on the wall (and the shot lingered on her hand for a second) and that was when she disappeared from Baltar's life and appeared aboard Galactica. I think they may have also used the same shot type when "Godfrey" walked around the corner and disappeared aboard Galactica. That may not be the correct episode, but I know we've seen a similar shot of Six, to the point where when Ellen did it, all I could think of was "she's Six".

It's an interesting type of shot because with Six, it was a seductive move, as if to say "I'm leaving now, but take my hand and follow me". On the other hand (no pun intended), with Ellen, it was hesitant, as if to say "I'm leaving now, but I want to hold on until the last possible moment".

If Ellen isn't a cylon, she certainly should be. In fact, I was half expecting that when they showed Adama's point-of-view of Tigh, that Tigh would be alone, talking to himself like Baltar often does.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #59 (Print)
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
I had never seen the OS until the marathon on Sci-fi last year...the first season was not bad...fun to watch in a kind of way!

the second season was totally unwatchable...

The episode I tried to watch could have very well been from the second season then... it was just so bad I don't see how anyone watched the whole thing.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2005, 07:46 AM   #60 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrac
One question...who's "we?" Are you referring to you and your family or are you Borg or royalty?

G'ould!

F Jackie!
super dave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post