July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2005, 10:15 PM   #61 (Print)
Jeeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
I don't think the computer was an Apple II. I had an Apple II and if I remember correctly, there was not an "execute" key but a "Return" key.
The computer case itself was definitely an Apple II. But you're right, the keys were different. Even the shape of the keys were off... Apple II keys aren't that much different looking that a regular keyboard from today. This computer keyboard had I think flat 'chicklet' keys. And the monitor looked like an ancient NCR terminal or something. My guess is it's not supposed to look like or be any particular computer model. It's just something the prop dept designed and assembled to look retro.
Jeeters is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:16 PM   #62 (Print)
mommy2bree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
We didn't see the end of the wedding. He could easily have walked out at that point.

Yes, he (said he) was married, but not necessarily to Sarah.

I'm pretty sure he did marry Sarah. I know it was left up to interpretation, but I don't really think he would have walked out on her like that. He seems like the type who would have spoken to her before the ceremony, and tried hard not to humiliate her at the altar. The question is, what caused them to not be married "anymore"? Is he a divorced man, or a widower?

Old 09-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #63 (Print)
jwjody
Custom User Title

Send a message via AIM to jwjody Send a message via Yahoo to jwjody
So part of the island is a giant magnet. That explains why the compass fromt he 1st season doesn't work correctly.

And that was Desmond in the hatch right? Either he didn't recognize Jack or he wasn't surprised to see him there! Almost like he was expecting him "in another life."

J

Old 09-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #64 (Print)
Jeeters

Quote:
We didn't see the end of the wedding. He could easily have walked out at that point.

Yes, he (said he) was married, but not necessarily to Sarah.
Here's my guess: He did marry Sarah. But I'm betting that just like Locke regained the use of his legs, and like Sarah got her legs back when it wasn't expected she could, that later she again lost the use of them and this led to the downfall of the marriage in some way.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:20 PM   #65 (Print)
Jeeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjody
And that was Desmond in the hatch right? Either he didn't recognize Jack or he wasn't surprised to see him there! Almost like he was expecting him "in another life."
Yup. The "Brother" was the major clue. Jack recognized him, but not sure yet if the recognition is mutual.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:22 PM   #66 (Print)
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjody
So part of the island is a giant magnet. That explains why the compass fromt he 1st season doesn't work correctly.

J

The magnet could be the power source for the hatch. All those computers, ect. need electricity to run. An electro-magnet of some kind.

Edit:

Not an elctro-magnet but perhaps the magnet is used to generate electricity in some fashion.

Last edited by Malcontent : 09-21-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Malcontent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #67 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Can somebody please tell me what happened in the beginning (up to where the camera pulls back to reveal that we were down the hatch). Weather problems in Minneapolis killed the first couple minutes for me...

Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #68 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

OOH! OOH! Maybe Desmond was in the tail section!

No, wait... I can't make that make work...
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:25 PM   #69 (Print)
Amnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent
The magnet could be the power source for the hatch. All those computers, ect. need electricity to run. An electro-magnet of some kind.
An electromagnet uses electricity. It doesn't produce it.
Amnesia is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:28 PM   #70 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Whoa... I'm sure someone else will beat me to typing this...

Ep opens with the typical "eye opening" shot... but we don't ever see a face (until we see Desmond later). Mystery Man wakes up from bed, types mystery command on pseudo-Apple IIe... put on a RECORD (Mamma Cass from later in ep)... makes himself a blender drink for breakfast (out of fruit)... more retro moments... then *blam* ... the dynomite goes off... and he has this elaborate setup with a telescopy thing and mirrors to know when someone has... breached the hatch... *cue creepy music*
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:30 PM   #71 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Can somebody please tell me what happened in the beginning (up to where the camera pulls back to reveal that we were down the hatch). Weather problems in Minneapolis killed the first couple minutes for me...
An alarm goes off. A guy gets out of bed and checks his computer terminal. We don't see his face. There is a mixture of retro and modern paraphenalia in the guys living space: LP's, an old exercycle, modern appliances.

He puts on a record and mixes himself some sort of health-shake. Then we see him inject himself with something using a pistol-grip syringe. Then...

BOOM! An explosion. He grabs his gun and the camera tracks with him through a maze of corridors, then the camera leaves him and we go up the shaft and...

That's where you came in.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:30 PM   #72 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

What he said.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:34 PM   #73 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Thanks! That helps...I was a little confused at the end.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #74 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

Quote:
An electromagnet uses electricity. It doesn't produce it.

But a moving magnet can produce electricity.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:39 PM   #75 (Print)
Jeeters

To me the magnet was a sign of a power source for the place; i.e., huge electrical generator. Generators create electricity using electromagnetic induction.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:46 PM   #76 (Print)
uncdrew
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb
And did anyone else think when Jack was searching the "room", whatever you want to call it, before Locke appeared I thougght I heard muffled "slinky chain sounds", like what they heared when Locke was being pulled into the pit last season....sort of like the computers there were producing it....maybe this is obvious, but my ears did pick this up.....

We had CC on, and when Jack was searching the room, the CC showed the words to the song. But when the song paused, the CC read: (Kate's muffled shouting: "Jack!") or something.

You couldn't really hear it at all, and with CC off we would have missed it. Not that it added much, but was weird.

So Desmond seems to show up every time someone paralyzed from the waist down gets their mobility back.

Hmm...
uncdrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #77 (Print)
Amnesia

Personally, I think hydoelectrical is more likely---remember the cable running into the ocean...
Amnesia is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 PM   #78 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs

Once the still frames are up on the Lost Media site, you should be able to piece it together, but picture...

<open scene>
Close up of a left eye opening. A computer beeping in the background,

Cut to... a closeup of a green flashing cursor on a computer screen. A man sits up in bed. Hes on a top bunk. We can't see his face clearly in any shot during the intro.

He drops out of the bunk. Sits on an office chair with wheels, and rolls sideways to the table where the computer is. He types away for a moment, and then presses a key labeled "execute."

He walks over to a living room area. There is a shelving unit with a stereo, and a bunch of records. (Vinyl) There is also a lava lamp on the shelf. There is a couch, a floor lamp, a picture on the wall. He puts a record on, and the music plays.

He removes some breakfast dishes from his table that resembles a booth in a diner. He empties the waste in a garbage can in the kitchen, he washes the bowl in a stainless steel sink with some dish soap.

They show a montage of him exercising, never showing his face. He rides a stationary bike, does pull ups on a pipe, does crunches on an inclined bench.

He takes a shower. He goes to the kitchen, and drops some fresh fruit and powder in a blender, makes a smoothie and pours it.

He goes to a cabinet, and when he opens it, it is lined with little glass bottles with lables that say
CR 4-1516-23 42
For Injection only
30ml multiple dose vial
Rx-1

He loads the bottle into an injection gun, and shoots his arm.

There is a noise, and his record skips off its track. There is some dust falling from the ceiling. He turns to look. Puts away the medicine. Grabs some overalls and shoes. Goes into a safe where there are guns, and gets a couple. He hits some switches on the console next to his stereo, the lights dim.

He runs toward a more industrial looking side of the apartment or whatever kind of home this is. He pulls what looks like a telescope on an arm down from the ceiling and looks through it, aiming it down this hallway. He is aiming at a round mirror at the end of the hallway. He has a series of switches next to him. As he flips them, the mirror adjusts. He is now looking at another mirror around the corner from the first mirror. He adjusts that one, and there is another mirror. There are 3 or 4 that allow him to look down this corridor aound the angles it takes.

The camera pans down the hallway showing us the path, showing the mirrors, until it comes to a mirror on the floor leaning back at a 45 degree angle, so he can see up. The mirror is leaning against a metal ladder. The camera passes this mirror and goes up...to the top of the shaft where Jack and Locke are looking down into the shaft trynig to see the bottom with a flaming torch.

Cut to black... and the LOST graphic...

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.

Last edited by hefe : 09-21-2005 at 11:01 PM.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:54 PM   #79 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

Quote:
Personally, I think hydoelectrical is more likely---remember the cable running into the ocean...

Yeah, and I also remember it not being insulated and them grabbing it and not feeling many ill effects

I think there had to have been a reason that the hatch was built near that giant magnet. If it truly is a computer system running everything, the last place you would want that is near a big honkin' magnet.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:59 PM   #80 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76
Yeah, and I also remember it not being insulated and them grabbing it and not feeling many ill effects

I think there had to have been a reason that the hatch was built near that giant magnet. If it truly is a computer system running everything, the last place you would want that is near a big honkin' magnet.

I guess we know why the compass always went wonky.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:59 PM   #81 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

If the turbines are inland, then the cable running out to (or in from the) sea wouldn't be for power (unless there is something out there that needs to be powered). And what would spin the turbines? Probably not a rapid water source, so not hydroelectric. Maybe steam-driven: nuclear or geothermal.

Or, maybe the magnetic field wasn't from the power source at all and was simply an effect of the super-duper plane-crashing thingamajig which was powered from whatever the cable was tethered to.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:00 PM   #82 (Print)
mommy2bree

Ok, not to be totally off this current topic, but can someone please help to settle a dispute I'm having with another poster? Isn't it known that Alex (Rousseau's child) was a female?

Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 PM   #83 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76
It was insulated (I'm pretty sure). There was a skinny silvery steel tether bound to the thick black insulated cable.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #84 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2bree
Ok, not to be totally off this current topic, but can someone please help to settle a dispute I'm having with another poster? Isn't it known that Alex (Rousseau's child) was a female?

Yes.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:16 PM   #85 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:

Last season, from Exodus Part I

Danielle: Our ship went aground on this island 16 years ago. There were 6 of us - my team, 6. At that time I was already 7 months pregnant. I delivered the infant myself. The baby and I were together for only 1 week when I saw black smoke - a pillar of black smoke 5 kilometers inland. That night they came - they came and took her - Alex. They took my baby. And now, they're coming again. They're coming for all of you.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:17 PM   #86 (Print)
Test
Register User

Quote:
I can't believe that no one mentioned this, but when the crash victims first came into the ER, and Jack was working on Sarah...he told the other guy to intubate "Mr. Rutherford." SHANNON's FATHER! Boone's stepfather. We know that Shannon's father is dead, and now we know HOW.

Shannons last name is RUTHORFORD...but was that the name of the guy in the begining? i couldnt pick that up
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #87 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice
It was insulated (I'm pretty sure). There was a skinny silvery steel tether bound to the thick black insulated cable.

Hmm, maybe it was. Either way, I still doubt whatever is generating electricity would be located out at sea. I always just thought that the cable was a tether to something or possibly a communications line if anything.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #88 (Print)
Chapper1
Go Avs Go

My mouth dropped at the ending when Desmond was revealed to be the guy in the bunker. I have been trying to wrap my head around this episode now. Damn you, Lost!!!! Now I am all sucked back in!!!

Well spoken, Chapper1. You are a wise one. -bgreen5
Chapper1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #89 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Last two numbers of the safe combination: 23, 42. (I think.)
Old 09-21-2005, 11:20 PM   #90 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test
Shannons last name is RUTHORFORD...but was that the name of the guy in the begining? i couldnt pick that up

They bring in the second patient and the paramedic says, "Adam Rutherford, 57, chest trauma..."

Jack tells the intern or whatever he is, "Tube Mr. Rutherford," but the guy says he can't intubate him, Jack needs to.