July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #61 (Print)
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg
VCRs SUCK. Thats why I have a TiVo. TiVo is a wonderful standalone DVR with an 80gig drive and a remote. It is not, however any use as a networked device (other than to get its updates without using one of the old modems from the '90s).

I use it as a networked device. I can listen to podcasts, listen to my thousands of songs I have ripped, get weather, news, etc, all from my TiVo. So I would have to say you are dead wrong.
rainwater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-26-2005, 10:22 AM   #62 (Print)
TK421

30 second skip works. I have 7.2 and 30 second skip enabled. The key presses are the same S-P-S-3-0-S.
TK421 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #63 (Print)
Schenley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421
30 second skip works. I have 7.2 and 30 second skip enabled. The key presses are the same S-P-S-3-0-S.

I was using a 'learning remote' that I programmed. I tried using the Tivo remote, and it worked.

I guess I shoulda known - if I was the first to mention it, it musta been only me!
Schenley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #64 (Print)
rseligman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
If you can't wait, you can always hop on the priority list at:
TiVo 7.2 Priority List
(Don't forget - no dashes or spaces in those TSN's...and use all caps!)
Argh. But when you go to Manage My Account to look up your TSN, it shows them with dashes. Is there a reason TiVo is making it hard to copy-and-paste here, or is it just a case of the right hand not paying attention to the left hand?

Seriously, the JavaScript to strip dashes and spaces, or to convert lowercase to uppercase, is trivial.

(Thanks for offering the list, though!)
rseligman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-26-2005, 10:25 PM   #65 (Print)
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg
It is not, however any use as a networked device (other than to get its updates without using one of the old modems from the '90s).

I have to disagree here. I am glad that I have the ability to play music from my desktop, and even occasionally look at photos. It allowed me to stop using my Audiotron (on less piece of equipment in the stack). I do realize that this is fairly rudimentary, but it is a good start. And while you may not find transferring files to and from your PC helpful (nor do I), there are a lot of people who make use of this feature.

I think that the networking abilities of a TiVo are only going to improve with time. Whether or not it is to your liking remains to be seen.

LiveBlues is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #66 (Print)
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
I use it as a networked device. I can listen to podcasts, listen to my thousands of songs I have ripped, get weather, news, etc, all from my TiVo. So I would have to say you are dead wrong.

The HMO barely works and crashed the TiVo, TiVoDesktop is a disater, JavaHMO is hard to use. I am lucky, and I can reach my stereo from my computer with a 25ft cable, but for those who cannot, there are media hubs and wireless audio senders that actually work. There is also the option of a Mac Mini or a small PC. I would like to say TiVo is great, it is a GREAT DVR, BUT it sucks as anything else.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #67 (Print)
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveBlues
I have to disagree here. I am glad that I have the ability to play music from my desktop, and even occasionally look at photos. It allowed me to stop using my Audiotron (on less piece of equipment in the stack). I do realize that this is fairly rudimentary, but it is a good start. And while you may not find transferring files to and from your PC helpful (nor do I), there are a lot of people who make use of this feature.

I think that the networking abilities of a TiVo are only going to improve with time. Whether or not it is to your liking remains to be seen.

It has a LONG way to ggo as currently the HMO stuff crashed the TiVo, and it doesn't work with iTunes. Either one of those alone makes it worthless.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #68 (Print)
azitnay

Send a message via ICQ to azitnay Send a message via AIM to azitnay Send a message via MSN to azitnay
Sorry that you've had bad experiences, but don't assume something is worthless just because you've had no luck with it. I've used every feature of HMO/TTG/HME since it came out (some more extensively than others), and I've never had a single problem with any of it.

Drew
azitnay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2005, 01:05 PM   #69 (Print)
jmoak

So LiveBlues, rainwater, azitnay and I are the only series 2 owners that all that network stuff actually works for?

I've been using mine as primarily a network device since getting 7.2 and have had no crashes or any other probs.

I'm not gonna sit here and make the leap that every other tivo user has the same experiences as I do and make an all inclusive, sweeping statement about it based solely on my experiences. ...but hey, it works great for me.
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #70 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoak
So LiveBlues, rainwater, azitnay and I are the only series 2 owners that all that network stuff actually works for?

I've been using mine as primarily a network device since getting 7.2 and have had no crashes or any other probs.

I'm not gonna sit here and make the leap that every other tivo user has the same experiences as I do and make an all inclusive, sweeping statement about it based solely on my experiences. ...but hey, it works great for me.
Same experience here.
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #71 (Print)
azitnay

Send a message via ICQ to azitnay Send a message via AIM to azitnay Send a message via MSN to azitnay
I'm sure it's the non-vocal majority, vocal minority effect... Nothing wrong with that, though.

Drew
Old 08-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #72 (Print)
morac

Send a message via AIM to morac Send a message via Yahoo to morac
Is the priority list wait really 3 days?

The reason I ask is that I signed up on Aug 22 and its now Aug 27 (which is 5 days) and I still haven't received the update.

morac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #73 (Print)
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac

The reason I ask is that I signed up on Aug 22 and its now Aug 27 (which is 5 days) and I still haven't received the update.

I signed up on the August 25 and received it the next day, August 26. It was this past Friday night and I forced a network call to Tivo's servers, just to see if anything would update. I knew I was getting the update when the Tivo was downloading for more then 30 seconds. I'm connected through a cable broadband modem. Could be just a fluke. It's possible that I just happened to be part of a block of users Tivo's servers decided to send the upgrade to. Just dumb luck.
Malcontent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #74 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
I'm sure it's the non-vocal majority, vocal minority effect... Nothing wrong with that, though.

Drew

I have stopped responding to such posts as it just made me a target to counter any negative on TiVo post with something positive as I tend not to "shut up" after putting my opinion out there. so I have moved from a vocal group to the silent majority. Have a nice day
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2005, 04:46 PM   #75 (Print)
Y-ASK
Why Ask?

And now I'm left with carrying ZeoTivo's weight around . PC's are very complex devices and require tender loving care. How can you possible blame Tivo's desktop for crashing your system and not taking into account every other piece of crap software that may be installed. Not to mention all the different hardware combinations. Have you completely re-installed just the OS (and hardware drivers) and then only run the Tivo desktop? If you haven't then you have no idea where you stand on Tivo's desktop. It's pointless to trash Tivo's desktop when so many other users are using it very successfully.

Y-ASK
Y-ASK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2005, 05:53 PM   #76 (Print)
MJ-bos

Thumbs up Me too (gawd I hate doing that)

Quote:

Drew

I've been a JavaHMO user for a few years. It was buggy, but overall it worked well for me. Galleon has been an AWESOME experience - stability (both for TiVo and computer) and functionality.

I'm just waiting (patiently) to get 7.2 on my Humax so that I can enjoy it on my main TV.

Cheers,
Marc
MJ-bos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #77 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:

I think you're probably right. Most people don't have any reason to post "everything is working great", unless of course we have reason to speak up...

by the way...

everything is working great here. TiVoDesktop 2.2 along with the 7.2 software has been a really good, mostly stable experience on my PC. Galleon 1.3.0 was working great for a while too (although I don't have it installed right now).

I did have some initial problems with TiVoDesktop 2.2, but they were solved by uninstalling all of my existing HME/HMO applications, including TiVoDesktop 2.0 and Galleon. Then I reinstalled just TiVoDesktop 2.2 and everything has been golden.

Bigg, I don't doubt you are having problems, but I don't think it's accurate to assume that the software overall sucks and that no one likes it. That's B.S.

If you're actually interested in trying to get it working, I'd suggest starting a new thread in the HME forums. If you've already done that, give us the link. I think you'd probably find a lot of people willing to help you out. Including myself.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:17 PM   #78 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Another vote from the quiet "everything works great for me on all my TiVos" camp

Sorry about your issues Biggs - but maybe they're just yours? You may have a flaky network, a device flooding the network or a buggy PC

Old 08-27-2005, 11:09 PM   #79 (Print)
retired_guy

no crashes on any of my TiVos nor on my PCs either.

1 Comcast Moto 6412
retired_guy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #80 (Print)
timstack8969

Hi, If I was using 7.2 during the Beta Testing is this the final version of 7.2 or will I go back to 7.1b and then receive the 7.2 again. Thank's
timstack8969 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #81 (Print)
azitnay

You're not really supposed to post about being a beta tester... But anyway, once you have 7.2, you certainly won't revert back to 7.1.

Drew
Old 08-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #82 (Print)
nycityuser

I was anxious to get 7.2 to fix the problem of my network adapter constantly being dropped. I put myself on the priority list on Friday. I noticed today (Sunday) that my connection had dropped when I tried to transfer a show from the bedroom TIVO to living room. The last "daily" download was Wednesday. I restarted my TIVO (which makes the TIVO recognize the adapter again) and forced an update. That update apparently brought me 7.2 so I restarted the TIVO again so that it could fully recognize 7.2.

I played around a little and find it cool that it "found" all the shows I have stored on my computer that I can now transfer back to TIVO. Don't know if I will use it but it's nice to see. And now that I'm transferring that show I tried to do transfer earlier today, I see the two new features in this regard: 1) no light on the TIVO during the transfer and 2) the blue button on the screen during the transfer process.

I just hope my network adapter stops being dropped periodically. This problem started after the update to version 7 and nobody seems to have a solution (I've read of others with the same problem on this board).

I just put myself on the priority list for my second TIVO.
nycityuser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #83 (Print)
cjw2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajad
As a Canada-locked TiVo user that can't get upgrades anymore, can someone point to a URL that says what each of the new features in this release does?

...Dale

Interesting -- when I rerun guided setup on my machine that just received 7.2 and it prompts me for the zip code, at the bottom of the screen in fine print it says press enter if you have a Canadian postal code. Could it be that TiVo is preparing to enter the Canadian market?
cjw2001 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #84 (Print)
slyone

Newbie here, I signed up for the update (Toshiba-RX20 vers.565?) how will I know besides looking at software version? Will I have to ..Nevermind..just checked and seems it is now there! YAY!!
slyone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #85 (Print)
Aflat

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac

CHeck the system settings, see if there is a pending restart. I know I recieved 7.2 2 days after I signed up, but I had to reboot the tivo to activate it. Your tivo should reboot automatically at 2am I think, but maybe it didn't.

Also, I'm in the quiet group, I've had no issues with TivoDesktop, Galleon, 7.2, 2.2 it all seem to work great. Uploading videos were what I was really waiting for. I've bene streaming mp3's, and pictures, getting weather, and controlling itunes for months now. The push to tivo is just icing on the cake. A really really thick layer of awsome tasting frosting to boot.
Aflat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-29-2005, 08:40 AM   #86 (Print)
mrjam2jab
Still Learning

I have a 540 and a 240 SA....v. 7.2 on 540, NetGear MA111.... v7.1 on 240, LynkSYS (b series)...while transfering a 1 hour show from 540 to 240 i lost the NAC 3 times...on the 540......

This is really getting annoying....

Scott B
mrjam2jab is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #87 (Print)
EwanG

Send a message via ICQ to EwanG Send a message via AIM to EwanG
I very much enjoy using my TiVO as a networked device, and with the functionality added in 7.2, am planning to buy another TiVO and lifetime subscription soon.

That said, I do wish that it was possible to do the following in TivoToGoBack:

1) Edit "headers" - Sometimes the .tivo file has the wrong episode name. And for non-.tivo files it would be nice to be able to create a header with the appropriate information

2) Support multiple folders - I like to keep my home and school videos in different directories, with subdirectories by date. For .tivo files, I had been keeping them in folders by series. It would be nice if I didn't have to keep creating shortcuts just to make them available

3) Support putting items in folders on the TiVO itself. Probably would be related to point 1 above, but it would be nice if non .tivo files could be added to the folders I already have on the TiVO, and if I could create folders to put things in when I transfer them over.

FWIW,
Ewan
EwanG is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #88 (Print)
MikeMar
Me in Armenia + Flag

Send a message via AIM to MikeMar Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMar
Lack of folders is my only problem. Right now I keep nothing in my tivo folder and when i want to transfer it over to tivo, i slap a shortcut to the show in that folder and then transfer

"You got some crazy books going on there, you going to open up H and R Blockian?" The Shield about Armenian Mob
MikeMar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #89 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

On the folders topic: They really need this in NP and TD.

I muse that folders are supported in the "streaming media" section (Music/Photos) of the OS, but no the "record/transfer/download" section.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:36 PM   #90 (Print)
sting

NAS Drives

I couldn't seem to be able to directly transfer TiVo recordings from TiVo to those massive NAS drives on my home network. Are these direct transfers restricted to local drives or did I do something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
sting is offline Report Bad Post Report Post