July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2005, 06:53 PM   #121 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
I hafta say that my TiVo is MUCH snappier since loading 7.2. Menus load MUCH faster; everything, except channel switching, is very snappy. So far, so good.

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #122 (Print)
morac

Send a message via AIM to morac Send a message via Yahoo to morac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy
I hafta say that my TiVo is MUCH snappier since loading 7.2. Menus load MUCH faster; everything, except channel switching, is very snappy. So far, so good.

I'd have to agree. And what's even better is it seems to be retaining that snappiness even after a week. Previous 7.x builds would slowly begin to become sluggish the longer they ran unti eventually it was so bad the TiVo needed to be rebooted. So far so good with 7.2. We'll see if it keeps up after a month or two.

morac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #123 (Print)
wander2166

Ever since I got the 7.2 update my Tivo freezes up. The only way to get it going is to unplug it and re-power up. Anyone else having a problem ? Any suggestions ?
Thanks
wander2166 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-06-2005, 09:35 AM   #124 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander2166
Ever since I got the 7.2 update my Tivo freezes up. The only way to get it going is to unplug it and re-power up. Anyone else having a problem ? Any suggestions ?
Thanks

I got the same thing once. Do shows "stutter" when they playback? My shows are "stuttering" right after the upgrade!
cptodd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #125 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander2166
Thanks

I know you don't want to hear this (I wouldn't either), but this just reeks of a hard drive going bad.

This is not an uncommon scenario after an upgrade. Sections of the hard disk are accessed during the upgrade process (boot partitions, etc.) that don't get touched during normal use. Sometimes a bad sector that wasn't an issue before is suddenly a problem.

Someone else can probably spell out a bit more the exact technical reasons why this happens, but we see it after every upgrade. Hard drives are fragile beasts which, on average, don't last much longer than 3 years even under the best of conditions.

Good news is, you can replace the drive yourself... if you are up to the task.

Old 09-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #126 (Print)
arw01

Send a message via ICQ to arw01
7.2 is locking up my tivo

Since the 7.2 download my TIVO has locked up twice. Still shows "LIVE" TV but will not respond to remote whatsoever...

What's up? Takes a hard power down to get it back up.

Alan

LFS 6.0 running Misterhouse
arw01 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #127 (Print)
rog
urban achiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptodd
I got the same thing once. Do shows "stutter" when they playback? My shows are "stuttering" right after the upgrade!

I actually meant to post my above reply to this message, and not to wander2166's message.

The stuttering is indicative of a drive going bad.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #128 (Print)
Downidb

Is 7.2 creating a problem for anyone else with a Mac when they try to use the Home Media Options? I had previously used my TiVo to listen to iTunes through the HMO with no problems, but all of a sudden yesterday, a day after 7.2 downloaded, there was no longer a 'Music and Photos' selection on my startup page. No option to select a server, either. I can now preview Fox's Fall Season, however.

Will I have to wait for TiVo desktop 2.2 for Mac to regain the functionality I had prior to 7.2's download, or is there something that I'm missing?

(Also, I've just tried to install Galleon 1.4.1, but whenever I open it, it says 'Cannot connect to server'...is this related? I've changed nothing on my computer settings, so I'm baffled.)
Downidb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #129 (Print)
kcm

Is the new 'come home to a black screen after 7.2 downloads and reboot into an unfixable reboot cycle' feature intended? I would LOVE to use the new Mac Desktop software with my TiVo, but I can't!

You guys REALLY hate us 140- owners, don't you. If this doesn't get fixed, time to order up a Comcast HD PVR.
kcm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #130 (Print)
sullo

I've been having similar stutter/reboot problems on mine all day. We did have a power failure last night... and it upgraded to 7.2 at some point in the last few days.

bad drive huh? I'm searching forums but getting too many hits!

bleh. i'll start searching on replacing drives

Last edited by sullo : 09-08-2005 at 08:57 PM.
sullo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #131 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog
I actually meant to post my above reply to this message, and not to wander2166's message.

The stuttering is indicative of a drive going bad.

GOING, GOING, GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She's a gonner now. I did what the folks at TiVo said might fix my problem and plugged her out and when I plugged her back in she power cycled and well that was it. I came home today intending to set up my retired Series II (it was the one I used befroe my Pioneer broke) and like an idiot I did guided set-up before downloading the new software and thus because I have no phone line I can't dial in (it does not seem to recognize the USB adapter during guided setup even though I used it with the adapter before I put this one in the closet and started using the Pioneer). That one is out now. I think I will give up and re-retire this one to the closet and decided if I want to upgrade the Pioneer with a new drive when I get back from NYC next week. I think I will put a new HD in the Pioneer if only so that I can play the occasional DVD but other than that I think I might try and get myself off of that crack called TV.
cptodd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #132 (Print)
no-blue-screen
Just TiVo It!!!!!

Playing the waiting game

Well, I have all DTV unit here until a few days ago when I got a good deal on a S2SA unit for the bedroom (since there is where I plan to record most of my shows since I like to watch when I go to bed).

It is my understanding that TiVo is still shipping their new S2SA units with the 5.3 software loaded, so out of the box I can't use the TiVoToGo feature. I put my TSN on the priority list for the 7.2 or "summer 2005" software update. It has been over 24 hours and no update. TiVo should make users that are at the 5.3 software level a higher priority since they advertise these boxes as having features that are only available with the 7.x software. That being said, I don't think it is fair that I have to wait for three days (or more) to be updated so that I can use features that are supposed to be standard on my unit. Those that already have 7.1b can use TiVoToGo and can wait a little bit for the update IMHO. I guess what I am asking here is the following:

1) Why doesn't TiVo 'rush' the update to those of us who purchased new boxes with only the 5.3sw on them?

I think those boxes running the 5.3sw should be immediately updated so that new TiVo customers (not the case here but making a point) can get their features sooner. This may be a long-shot, but I would think that some consumers that havne't owned a TiVo before might take their boxes back to the store for a refund because they can't use the features they were promised. Just a thought. I guess I will go back to playing my waiting game.
no-blue-screen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #133 (Print)
hfwarner3

When I bought my TiVo last week, it had 4.0 on it!!!

I put myself on the priority list and forced it to dial-in every 2-3 hours. I started around 10 am and got the update around 7 pm. Have you tried forcing a call?
hfwarner3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-24-2005, 09:03 AM   #134 (Print)
no-blue-screen
Just TiVo It!!!!!

Yes, I have forced about 7 or 8 calls so far. I will keep trying. Maybe they only allow so many updates to take place at any given time, and it won't update my box until there is a free slot available. Just guessing as I don't know how TiVo has their system setup. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:02 PM   #135 (Print)
no-blue-screen
Just TiVo It!!!!!

Arrow Still no update

Come on TiVo, give me my 7.2 update already. I want to use TTG! I told TiVo it would make more sense to give those customers with the pre 7.x software loads priority for the update since they don't even have TTG functionality yet. TiVo did not have a response to that. They simply said "well, it used to take three weeks to get people updated, but now we have it down to three days"...LOL...I don't know why it would take so long. I know there are about 3 million TiVos out there, but they should have a pretty efficient system for pushing out the updates. It would make more sense if they had the ability to manually push out the update to certain customers like in the middle of the night or something. I just want the update already darn it.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:11 PM   #136 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-blue-screen
Come on TiVo, give me my 7.2 update already. I want to use TTG! I told TiVo it would make more sense to give those customers with the pre 7.x software loads priority for the update since they don't even have TTG functionality yet. TiVo did not have a response to that. They simply said "well, it used to take three weeks to get people updated, but now we have it down to three days"...LOL...I don't know why it would take so long. I know there are about 3 million TiVos out there, but they should have a pretty efficient system for pushing out the updates. It would make more sense if they had the ability to manually push out the update to certain customers like in the middle of the night or something. I just want the update already darn it.
Are you sure you entered the TSN correctly(no dases, etc.)? If you copy-and-pasted it from the online account page, it would have dashes in it. Since it's been more than three business days, and you still don't have it, there's a (albeit small) chance that could be the reason.
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-26-2005, 01:25 PM   #137 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-blue-screen
Yes, I have forced about 7 or 8 calls so far. I will keep trying. Maybe they only allow so many updates to take place at any given time, and it won't update my box until there is a free slot available. Just guessing as I don't know how TiVo has their system setup. Thanks for the reply.

actually if enough people call in every 2 hours it slows down how many a day they can do. and typically TiVo manually adds in the TiVo DVRs they expect to update in a day at one pointduring that day. Not sure of the time but usually early morning. so one call a day will tell you if you are getting the update or not.

at most a call in the morning and then one late in the evening will cover the bases as well. any more and you are just slowing down the process for your slef and everybody else.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-26-2005, 01:31 PM   #138 (Print)
no-blue-screen
Just TiVo It!!!!!

yes, I know I entered it correctly. I typed it in without dashes and all in caps as specified in the message that began this discussion. Thanks for the input and I guess I will just keep waiting.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:27 PM   #139 (Print)
the human torch

Yay! Another useless software update that does Mac users absolutely NO good!

I wish TiVo would finally just come out and admit that they don't care about Mac users already ffs.