Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #1 (Print)
naiLS1

Error S03?

When trying the "connect to Tivo service now" option on one of my Tivos, it gets past the first 4 options, but gets an error while "loading info". The error it gives is S03. I'm not sure what that means, but it started after receiving the 7.2 update. I have changed nothing on my network or the Tivos.

It currently only has program data until Sept. 8. Has anyone else had this problem?

It's a Humax 590 w/80 hours using a Netgear wg111 wireless adapter. I am also using an Airlink ar315w router.

The unaffected tivo: Tivo 540 w/40 hours using a Netgear wg111
naiLS1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-02-2005, 04:03 PM   #2 (Print)
naiLS1

It gets about 42% of the way while "loading info" before it gives the error in case that matters.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #3 (Print)
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

I'm getting the same error. I had to send my Toshiba DVD TiVo in to be repaired today, so I got my older TiVo2 out of the closet (where it had been for about two months) and tried to set it up again. Now I keep getting the S03 error after it appears to finish loading the guide data. I've tried using the phone line connection and the wireless connection with the same results.

I was really counting on this "spare" TiVo to be my backup while the new one was in the shop. I NEED my TiVo! I hope someone can tell us what is going on!
ScubaCat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-03-2005, 11:21 PM   #4 (Print)
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Good news! Somehow the S03 error resolved itself sometime today. I finally have guide data.

How about you naiLS1? Are you still getting the error?
Old 09-03-2005, 11:54 PM   #5 (Print)
naiLS1

I just got home, but I'm going to try sometime tonight and then post up. I hope it works otherwise I'll have to call Tivo support and I'm sure I'll get the "you must have changed something with your setup" response.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #6 (Print)
naiLS1

I just tried to make a Tivo connection manually and it still is giving me the S03 error. I have program data until Sept. 8th and then it's a paperweight. My other Tivo is connecting normally. I guess I'll have to call support.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:24 PM   #7 (Print)
naiLS1

It looks like I'm going to be getting a replacement. Humax support had me try a "kickstart"--that didn't work. This thing is only 5 months old! Oh, well. At least they are taking care of it.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #8 (Print)
TiVo Mel
King of TiVo Nation

Hey guys, try "Reset thumbs ratings and suggestions". I've gotten this error several times, but the reset seems to fix the problem.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #9 (Print)
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

TiVo Mel - Thanks for the suggestion! I'll keep that in mind in case the error message comes back again. I don't use the ratings and suggestions anyway. So far everything is working normally now.

naiLS1 - Sorry to hear you couldn't fix the problem, but it's great to hear that Humax is replacing your TiVo.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:22 AM   #10 (Print)
kckool

Getting the error too

I am also getting this error message. It goes through Preparing, Connecting, Getting Info, Disconnecting and then fails at Loading Info 43%. The error it gives is S03.
I have tried
1. Restarting
2. Unplugging
3. Deleting TiVo Suggestions and program data
4. Reseting system

Nothing has worked.

My TiVo is a Series 2 40 hour. I have had it up and working since April 2005. As of about 2 weeks ago, it stopped being able to connect to the TiVo service. Nothing has changed on my end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kevin
kckool is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #11 (Print)
Xlrator

I have the same problem. Error S03 while loading guide data. I have been trying everyday and my guide runs out on Monday. It's geting close.

I called TiVo customer service but was on hold for 20min. and had to hang up.

I found the "Kick Start" instructions on another forum for this problem. Has anyone found this to fix the problem?

Or is it wait until the next version upgrade?
Xlrator is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #12 (Print)
Alcatraz
Occasionally Helpful

kckool - use 57 kickstart, instructions are here http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoDiagnostics

Xlrator - if you already did 57, try 58. If that doesn't do it, use Clear Thumb Ratings & Suggestions. If that doesn't do it, try Clear & delete everything. If that doesn't do it, you need a new drive.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:03 PM   #13 (Print)
Xlrator

I did the Pause 57. It's been in a GSOD loop for 6 hours now. TiVo customer service tells me to just let it run for 24 hours and if it doesn't stop send it to them. Well it's a couple years old and I added 80 gigs to it last year.

I've been reading old posts about the swap file contributing to this symptom. All I wanted was to get my program guide updated!!

So does it look like I have even more going on here?
Xlrator is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #14 (Print)
tat2dphreak

I'm getting this also... any update on if the 57 kick start fixed it?

also, will the tivo still record new shows while the kickstart is going?

Last edited by tat2dphreak : 09-26-2005 at 05:25 PM.
tat2dphreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #15 (Print)
tat2dphreak

is there another way to get program information? I run out on friday...

I did the 57 kickstart twice last night, it was only taking about 30minutes... is that normal? I thought it was supposed to take 3 hours
Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #16 (Print)
Nfuego
Finally-My ugly mug

I had this problem, also.

I ended up using my PTV Upgrade (Instant Cake) CD and just reloading my system and then letting it dial in a few times to get the updates...

Basically wiped it out and started over. No problems now!
Nfuego is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #17 (Print)
tat2dphreak

maybe it's time I upgraded and bought a weaknees drive... if I'm going to lose everything else, I'm going to gain... something!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:20 AM   #18 (Print)
tat2dphreak

ok, here's what fixed mine, finally... after the second kick start, I connected, then, when the loading started, I unplugged my network adapter... and it was able to finish loading... now, I don't know what the long-term solution is still, but at least I can get guide data
Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #19 (Print)
Your User Name:

I tried the kickstart, but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. Is something supposed to happen -- and on screen notification, etc. -- to let you know you've successfully kickstarted? It doesn't appear as though anything is happening when I do it.

When I reboot my Series2, there are no LED lights at first, then a quick flash and then the light goes yellow and a few seconds later turns to green. The instructions on the kickstart describe it changing from green to yellow prior to going to the "almost there" screen. That never happens for me. It is never green before yellow.

ETA: After experimenting a few times, if I hold down the pause button when the light goes yellow a second yellow light comes on, I enter 57, but nothing noticeably different seems to happen.

Last edited by Your User Name: : 10-02-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Your User Name: is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #20 (Print)
purefct

Sounds like you're doing the kickstart correctly, but then you should immediately do a manual data download. I noticed if I let it happen automatically I still got an S02 or Failed while loading data. Ultimately even a kickstart might not help and you will still be required to delete thumbs, then possibly delete all. And I've read that when that fails, the remaining posts concur it is time to replace the hard drive(s).
purefct is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #21 (Print)
purefct

One thing I just realised. You didn't mention if a green screen appears or not. Just to double check how you do this, if you are waiting for the first yellow before you press pause try instead holding the pause until you see the yellow light. THEN release and press 5 7.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:39 PM   #22 (Print)
purefct

Hey, I think I may have figured out an alternate way to get guide data when receiving the S02 or Failed While Loading. Go to Settings, Channels, Channel List. OK, can't remember if this is available on pre 7.2 versions but at the bottom of my screen it says "Press Enter if this is the wrong channel lineup" so I press Enter. I go through the process where it re-loads my channel data and does a program download. Well, if I can't download the normal way (through Phone & Network), I do it this way. I've done it twice this way, once today and once a month ago when I needed to force a refresh of my channels.