THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2005, 02:55 PM   #31 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypete
So Dan, are you suggesting that DirecTV may miss a October launch...
Not necessarily. The boxes are all built and in the warehouse. They will install a software update upon installation...the only question is which version they update to. The determining factor for that is when they decide they risk more by delaying than by putting a device in service with a few problems.

FWIW, the most serious issue, and the one responsible for the delay as I understand it, is related to "Season Pass-like" features.

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #32 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Collins
I'm pretty sure that article is mistaken.
Wouldn't be the first time.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #33 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
The determining factor for that is when they decide they risk more by delaying than by putting a device in service with a few problems.

What risk? Internal vs. external. The internal risk is that they go through another holiday season with the R10 as their main DVR and end up with another 500K TiVo's out there come January.

The external risk of unhappy customers who get a faulty product seems to me the greater of the two. Because even though we are a unique group, ie those who frequent this and other forums, there will bound to be someone more in the mainstream pick up on a flawed DVR from D* and compare it to the DirecTiVo. I don't think D* wants unhappy customers calling wanting to know why they didn't get a TiVo DVR.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #34 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan
What risk? Internal vs. external....
All of the above.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 09-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #35 (Print)
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick34
Will the current promotion for existing customers (free DVR after rebate) remain in effect when the R15 is released?

Now that the new tv season is underway, my wife is itching for a DVR. Should I get one now or wait for the R15?

Since DirecTV never promises specific hardware, once the R15 is available, is there a chance that they would still send me an R10?

Why don't you just get your wife an R10? That way, she'll have a real Tivo. (In some respects, a Tivo-lite, but still a Tivo).

The DirecTivo is a known commodity ... the R15 won't be for some time. I'd sure hate to commit two years to a box without knowing it isn't going to be another "also-ran-DVR".
jfh3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 08:59 PM   #36 (Print)
jfh3

Quote:
I hope you are right, but the stories I hear from R-15 testers don't sound encouraging.

Do you have a summary of those issues posted anywhere?

| Never mind - saw your subsequent response.

Last edited by jfh3 : 09-15-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #37 (Print)
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob Boy
I will have to Get used to The R15. OH WELL!! All good things must end.

In that case, if DirecTivo is no longer an option, if the R15 is at least as good, nothing wrong with going with it.

But if not, no reason to give up Tivo. Can always use (by then) a Series 3 box and get the full Tivo functions ...
Old 09-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #38 (Print)
peteypete

Dan, is there ANY chance that DirecTV backtrack, eat crow, and put Tivo software on those R15s?

I suppose that Tivo will work on them, right?
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #39 (Print)
JohnTivo

Quote:
Dan, is there ANY chance that DirecTV backtrack, eat crow, and put Tivo software on those R15s?

Doubtful that the TIVO OS would work out of the box on the NDS developed units. TIVO would need to rewrite drivers and such for the chipset and components used in the R15.

If D* backtracks, not likely as NDS is owned by Murdoch, it would be more likely that they would just order a new supply of the R10 or have Tivo develop a new box all together.

1 TIVO Series2 (40 Hour)
JohnTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-16-2005, 08:30 PM   #40 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:

Not a prayer...from what I'm told the R-15 is based upon Conexant's CX22492/3 chipset.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 09-16-2005, 09:35 PM   #41 (Print)
cfarm

Quote:
Not a prayer...from what I'm told the R-15 is based upon Conexant's CX22492/3 chipset.

Block diagram on the FCC site says STi5528 chipset:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...tive_or_pdf=pdf

Unless they are dual sourcing the hardware platform.
cfarm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2005, 08:12 AM   #42 (Print)
Win Joy Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTivo
If D* backtracks, not likely as NDS is owned by Murdoch, it would be more likely that they would just order a new supply of the R10 or have Tivo develop a new box all together.

But, here is the rub. It is almost October, and in the past D* stated that they are not ordering additional TiVo units. IF the production contract is still in place, they would be hard pressed to fill the pipeline in time for holiday sales. If the production contract has lapsed, then it is an even longer lead time.

For good or bad, D* is placing it's faith and future with the R-15. There will be no quick fix if there is another long delay of the unit.

I am planning to pick up one or two R-10 units before the end of the month and retire my DSR7000 and HDRV2 and shelving them as standby units.

As long as my TiVo based units are functioning, I'll remain a DirecTV customer. The R-15 has to prove itself to be a better mousetrap than what I have today. From what I have heard, it will not be enough to have me replace one of my DirecTiVo's.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:35 PM   #43 (Print)
Curtis

Quote:
D* is a content provider and has said on more than one occasion that they want to keep to their core competency which is delivering content. So what makes them think they can develop a better DVR?

DTV is not developing the DVR. The company developing it is NDS. They make the Sky+ DVR used in Britain and several other countries.
Curtis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2005, 09:45 PM   #44 (Print)
herdfan

Which is owned by the same guy.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #45 (Print)
peteypete

So someone who got the R-15 and thought the NDS software was crap can't just say. "Send Tivo software down the pipe".

They'd have to swap out hardware for a R10?

How is the R-10 compared to the R-15 in terms of pure performance specs? I take it they are pretty similar?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:38 AM   #46 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarm
Block diagram on the FCC site says STi5528 chipset:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...tive_or_pdf=pdf

Unless they are dual sourcing the hardware platform.
That's possible - the two chipsets are nearly functionally identical, or perhaps one was prototype and one production. In any event, the TiVo software would have to be, at least, recompiled, as would all the associated drivers - all assuming a compatible Linux port is available.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 09-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #47 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
So someone who got the R-15 and thought the NDS software was crap can't just say. "Send Tivo software down the pipe".

They'd have to swap out hardware for a R10?

How is the R-10 compared to the R-15 in terms of pure performance specs? I take it they are pretty similar?

Since the R15 has not been released, we don't know.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #48 (Print)
cfarm

Quote:
That's possible - the two chipsets are nearly functionally identical, or perhaps one was prototype and one production. In any event, the TiVo software would have to be, at least, recompiled, as would all the associated drivers - all assuming a compatible Linux port is available.

If they submitted for EMI testing, it's pretty close to a production piece. Something as major as a chipset change would require an entirely new submission and test.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:11 AM   #49 (Print)
CrazyFred

Quote:
ROTFLMAOSTC

D* couldn't give a rat's a** about us or our concerns. As long as the R15 is better than a cable DVR, they will have a successful product. Look at it this way: They have 14 million customers and only about 2 million have TiVo's. That leaves 12 million plus new subs that most likely will be very happy with the R15. Life will not be good for TiVo lovers.

Herdfan is correct. I have played with my friend's beta R15 and it is "ok". It is not a Tivo in any sense of the word. OK in some features, but lousy on others. They better fix their rewind problem too because it was very annoying when I used it. It works randomly which is not what I would call a good sign. There are also issues with some "series link" (their word for season pass) that does not function properly. A new version was to be downloaded to the unit this weekend, version 1054. Have not had a chance to go over there and see it but plan on it this week.

If you were considering buying another tivo or two, my suggestion would be to do that now. Word I have been told is starting in November you will only be able to buy the R15.

Last edited by CrazyFred : 09-19-2005 at 12:21 AM.
CrazyFred is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 12:16 AM   #50 (Print)
peteypete

Do we know how many R15s are sitting in warehouses?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:51 AM   #51 (Print)
kbohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony
It could be worse... if D* wanted to operate like Dish Network you'd have your R15 DVR right now and it would be bug-filled and you would have to put up with those bugs for a year - E* seems to unleash new DVRs on their customer base and let them be the 'beta testers', whereas D* seems to do it right and get most of the bugs out before FCS (First Customer Ship).

LOL, almost 2 years after it's release Dish customer's are still beta testing the 522 DVR! In the time I left Dish (and the craptacular 522) in April and now, the 522 has had around 20, yes 20 software updates. My R10 is still on the same one it shipped to me with. Even with all those updates, the 522 still has all the same problems mine did when I had it.

BTW, am I the only one here who's completely unexcited about the R15?

Old 09-19-2005, 03:05 AM   #52 (Print)
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbohip
BTW, am I the only one here who's completely unexcited about the R15?

Nope. I have been picking up more DirecTiVo boxes to use as backups/spare parts.

TiVo SA 240080 (347hr)
(plus many not in use)
Arcady is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 06:45 AM   #53 (Print)
beanpoppa

This is not true. D* has a contract with Tivo that extends through 2007. Starting in November (or whenever they start shipping the R15) you will have to explicitly ask for a Tivo, or you will likely be sent an R15. That doesn't mean that you won't get a CSR that continues to use the line that they don't know what DVR you will actually be sent, but D* stated in their last conf call that customers will still be able to get a Tivo, but must explicitly ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFred
If you were considering buying another tivo or two, my suggestion would be to do that now. Word I have been told is starting in November you will only be able to buy the R15.

-- ReplayTV 5040 w/lifetime - on hiatus
beanpoppa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 08:28 AM   #54 (Print)
ckelly5
Denny Crane

to anyone who has used the box (testing, etc). Does it actually require a phone line? Or can it function without one (including *no* nag screen)?

I have one on preorder, and am still curious about this. This is the make or break feature for me as I want to completely remove my land line (and yes, I know the DTiVo doesn't *need* a line )

ckelly5 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 08:41 AM   #55 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpoppa
but D* stated in their last conf call that customers will still be able to get a Tivo, but must explicitly ask.

My question would be if you want a TiVo, will it still be availabel through the current retail channels such as BB, CC and large online dealers? Or will you be required to go through D* so they can try to tell you how good their new DVR is?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:47 AM   #56 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!

Quote:
My question would be if you want a TiVo, will it still be availabel through the current retail channels such as BB, CC and large online dealers? Or will you be required to go through D* so they can try to tell you how good their new DVR is?

Since you would only be able to get a DTivo by asking I would think that D* would only send them the R15, not sure though.
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 08:47 AM   #57 (Print)
Hodaka

Quote:

I'd says many online places like weaknees, valueelectronics, etc. will still have them or have access to them, but I question whether the bigger chains will carry anything but the latest model. Go try and find a non-R10 unit at BB, CC, Wal-Mart, etc.
Hodaka is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #58 (Print)
ipfreely

The stooge I spoke to Friday said the R15 was already shipping???
ipfreely is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #59 (Print)
cfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFred
Herdfan is correct. I have played with my friend's beta R15 and it is "ok". It is not a Tivo in any sense of the word. OK in some features, but lousy on others. They better fix their rewind problem too because it was very annoying when I used it. It works randomly which is not what I would call a good sign. There are also issues with some "series link" (their word for season pass) that does not function properly. A new version was to be downloaded to the unit this weekend, version 1054. Have not had a chance to go over there and see it but plan on it this week.

So your friend is a beta tester without a NDA?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #60 (Print)
Zan569

Can someone confirm this.

R10 = 70 hours
R15 = 120 hours?

50 hours seems like alot but is it worth waiting for 50 extra hours? I want to get one, but it seems like 50 hours is alot more.

Suggestions anyone?
Zan569 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post