July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2005, 08:01 PM   #31 (Print)
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
It was one of the most uneven things I've seen in some time. I have to consider it basic garbage with little redeeming value. They're jumping all over the place, and it's like they've got 3 or 4 different writing and producing teams, at least one of which must be responsible for every Star Trek episode. .
Brannon Braga was the producer... And it showed.
Just didn't really do anything for me. There were a few spots where it seemed interesting, and I liked the (somewhat predicable) zoom out at the end to the traffic jam of the symbol. But despite that I just couldn't care enough to give it a second chance.

This is no Karen Sisco.

And incidentally. They blew up a ship that appeared from the map to be maybe 100 miles of the US east coast because North Korea was sending a worn out early 80s ex-Russian diesel electric sub (with a range of only 6000 miles)?!?
Did the US Navy vanish without them mentioning it?
(Yes other people mentioned this, but it annoyed me so I'm repeating it)

Old 09-17-2005, 08:25 PM   #32 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S
And incidentally. They blew up a ship that appeared from the map to be maybe 100 miles of the US east coast because North Korea was sending a worn out early 80s ex-Russian diesel electric sub (with a range of only 6000 miles)?!?
Did the US Navy vanish without them mentioning it?
(Yes other people mentioned this, but it annoyed me so I'm repeating it)

Yeah, that whole bit was SO bizarre I'm hoping against hope that something was edited out that made it make sense.

There was a LOT of really tight, to the point of confusing, editing, where they skipped transitions altogether. Starting right at the beginning when Ethan Rom and the captain were on the bridge, then suddenly they were out on the deck. I get the feeling the show ran long, and they had to cut out too much to get it to fit the time slot.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #33 (Print)
TiVoLance
Chihuahua Pillow

Hmm a lot of hating on this show already. I really liked it. I give it a B+ for thrills and interesting mysteries. Also I like most of the characters. That's more than I can say for other new shows.

TiVoLance is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 PM   #34 (Print)
hookbill
Feathered Member

A little slow, but not bad.

Doug, is it my imagination or are you ripping on every new show?

Old 09-17-2005, 09:48 PM   #35 (Print)
bengalfreak

Wow, I'm really shocked with all the love given to the horribly acted Prison Break and the cheese fest Supernatural, that this show is being pretty close to universally panned here. I thought it was the best pilot so far this season.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #36 (Print)
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
Wow, I'm really shocked with all the love given to the horribly acted Prison Break and the cheese fest Supernatural, that this show is being pretty close to universally panned here. I thought it was the best pilot so far this season.

bengalfreak, if these folks like a show it usually means the kiss of death. I liked it, I thought it was intriguing.

Old 09-17-2005, 10:13 PM   #37 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
A little slow, but not bad.

Doug, is it my imagination or are you ripping on every new show?

So far, it would seem so. Rightly so, I might say.

Though I'm not really ripping Prison Break (yet), though I know I could and probably should. But am otherwise enjoying it.

I haven't yet viewed Supernatural. It's recorded, just haven't had a chance yet.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #38 (Print)
Magister
.357 Mag

Send a message via AIM to Magister Send a message via MSN to Magister Send a message via Yahoo to Magister
I noticed in the initial credits that there was a totally different production team for Part II from Part 1. You could really see it.

I enjoyed the show, and since it doesn't seem to interfere with any of my favorite shows, it will stay on the SP for now.

I thought it weird that they talk about protecting the Red Team, but ... no one was there to protect the Red Team in the van... Wouldn't you think they could at least spare 1 soldier? I mean, I might understand if they weren't trying to actaully attract bad guys... They could say they were surprised one showed up...
Magister is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2005, 11:19 PM   #39 (Print)
kbohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister
I noticed in the initial credits that there was a totally different production team for Part II from Part 1. You could really see it.

I enjoyed the show, and since it doesn't seem to interfere with any of my favorite shows, it will stay on the SP for now.

I thought it weird that they talk about protecting the Red Team, but ... no one was there to protect the Red Team in the van... Wouldn't you think they could at least spare 1 soldier? I mean, I might understand if they weren't trying to actaully attract bad guys... They could say they were surprised one showed up...

OK, that's it! I've got to go find Part 2 on a torrent somewhere now.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #40 (Print)
GadgetFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Did anyone record the High Def West Coast feed? I have a brand new HD Tivo and was getting some minor pixelation every 2-3 minutes. Just wondering if this was CBS or something to do with my setup.

some comments that the East Coast feed was OK. Anyone watch the West Coast feed? Bueller?
GadgetFreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 12:49 AM   #41 (Print)
Ruth
Hi.

It seems like I am in the minority here, but I have to say, I liked it. I mean, yes, there were plot holes you could drive a truck through, and yes, it was definetely a Lost imitator and a little formulaic, but it had some interesting, creepy stuff, and the cast is decent and they have pretty good timing, for a pilot. I see a lot of potential there. I'll be back next week!
Ruth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 02:11 AM   #42 (Print)
realityboy

I liked it too. There were problems, but Lost had problems too. I actually commented to my boyfriend when we first saw the spaceship that if this going to mimic Lost then that should be the only time that we see the ship and from now on we should see flashbacks of what everyone was doing before the invasion. He replied that the ship was still more interesting than smoke.
realityboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #43 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

I guess I'm easy to please. I really liked this show. Compared to Bones and Supernatural, it was excellent.

The Red Team characters and personalities seem like they're lifted straight out of a lazy and bad novel.

Where'd all the roaches on the ship come from?

Is it me or does Charles S. Dutton look just like Shrek?

Old 09-18-2005, 06:53 AM   #44 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister

Not only that, but if Molly's house was truthfully bugged and they were watching her, why did it take so long for them to show up? I mean, Gunneson (sp?), could have killed her many times over before they finally arrive on the scene.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:33 AM   #45 (Print)
tlrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
some comments that the East Coast feed was OK. Anyone watch the West Coast feed? Bueller?

I'm not Bueller, but I had problems on CBSW, as well. They happened every 4 or 5 minutes - annoying, but not unwatchable.

It's not your setup.
tlrowley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #46 (Print)
jlb

I liked it. I'll watch, at least for Brent Spiner.

I loved when Ramsey (?) and the crew were in the van and he said something about looking for aliens, and then the camera turns to Brent Spiner and he had this smirk on his face, as telegraphing the star trek ref to everyone. Too funny.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #47 (Print)
whitson77
I got nothing

Send a message via Yahoo to whitson77
It has potential, but they have to do something about the over load music playing in the background in EVERY scene. That is awful. They could also make a little cleaner cuts from scene to scene.
whitson77 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 12:02 PM   #48 (Print)
NoThru22
Aspirin Roulette

Send a message via AIM to NoThru22
jlb, you mean when they referenced Klingons.
NoThru22 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 07:30 PM   #49 (Print)
Tivortex
What was that ?

I really liked the special effects sequences of the multidimensional object and the Glass Forest with its partially hidden creepy crawler. Cool, as was the mutating cockroach scene. This could get kind of scarey !

Old 09-18-2005, 07:51 PM   #50 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
I liked it. It has a lot of promise. It feels like as soon as the actors get comfortable with their roles and the writers flesh out the mythology a bit, it'll be pretty good. At least it'll tide us over on Friday nights while Sci-Fi Friday is on hiatus.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:08 PM   #51 (Print)
the928guy
Vaguely familiar ...

Am I the only one who was annoyed with the "talking backwards" bit? C'mon ....

Now, if he had said, "Ugly bags of mostly water" ....
the928guy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #52 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22

note the switch to Data when they said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
Not only that, but if Molly's house was truthfully bugged and they were watching her, why did it take so long for them to show up? I mean, Gunneson (sp?), could have killed her many times over before they finally arrive on the scene.

I thought of this too. Insane timing as well as the sub and korean thing mentioned before. Why couldn't we shoot the koreans out of the water or create a secure perimeter? If we can't fight them, no way can we fight aliens!

I liked this much more than Bones, the only other new show i've watched. Not sure what that means.

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

ďBe yourself, itís easier isnít it?Ē
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 09:14 PM   #53 (Print)
autotelic

Send a message via AIM to autotelic
It was a bit uneven but overall, I liked it. When will Sci-Fi Friday be back?
autotelic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 09:15 PM   #54 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotelic

After this coming week, it'll be gone until January.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:32 PM   #55 (Print)
ToddAtl

I liked it enough to keep watching. With pilots, I usually stick with a show if the premise is interesting to me. I think its fair to give the writers a few episodes to find their footing and this seems to have some promise to it. Yes the North Korean sub thing was silly and they should have come up with something better to force the team to have a limited time on the ship, but I will give them a pass on that particular point.

XBox GamerTag- TyrionC
ToddAtl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #56 (Print)
GadgetFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley
I'm not Bueller, but I had problems on CBSW, as well. They happened every 4 or 5 minutes - annoying, but not unwatchable.

It's not your setup.

Thanks tlrowley. As you said it was not unwatchable, and sure beats SD -- just didn't know if I should waste time fixing it.

"Lost" has really set the bar high -- after the pilot aired, I knew I was absoutely hooked. Way back in the olden days when I first watched X-Files, i was intrigued but did not absolutely know I was hooked. It took time.

I am hoping for a similar experience with Threshold -- I am intrigued and hope it gets better and draws us all in.
GadgetFreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 07:46 AM   #57 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotelic

I have to ask, what is on the other days of Sci fi? are all days so called 'sci fi' or is friday just special?

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

ďBe yourself, itís easier isnít it?Ē
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 07:49 AM   #58 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
I have to ask, what is on the other days of Sci fi? are all days so called 'sci fi' or is friday just special?

"Sci-Fri Friday" is the Sci-Fi Channel's line-up of original programming, which has aired on Friday for years.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:26 AM   #59 (Print)
7thton
Frak!

I too liked the pilot. Sure, it was uneven and there were a couple of scenes that made me laugh out loud. For example, what was the deal with the smell of a certain type of flower only grown near the east coast plant? Smell of a flower? WTH?

Also, Cavennaugh was worthless. He let Ethan Rom (whatever his Threshold name is) get away even though he (Cavennaugh) had a machine gun (!) strapped to his back that he never used! Ramsey had to shoot him....then he jumped ship.

Anyhow, I think the pilot set up some interesting situations and set the stage for some good stuff. I'll keep my SP, no doubt.
7thton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #60 (Print)
jlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I realize I totally botched the line......But the true line mad eit even more enjoyable.