THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2005, 09:59 AM   #1 (Print)
6022tivo
A Happy Member

Which IPod??

Hello again.

I have been looking at these ipoddy things, and am thinking of buying my Daughter one, as her fancy Nokia 7600 she used to use has been dropped

I am really liking a Nano for her, I am not keen on a HDD based model as she has got hands made from oil..

I see on the apple web site you can have them inscribed for free which is nice.

What would people recommend in the Ipod range??. Also if you guys know of any deals that are around?.

May consider a non ipod MP3 player??. Ideas chaps?

Pioneer 505XDE
6022tivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 AM   #2 (Print)
iankb

If my record collection were small enough, I would definitely go for a NanoPod to replace my ageing 5GB iPod. Unfortunately, I need a 20GB model, and I don't know if I can wait for a 20GB flash-based version to come out.

I doubt that you'll find a cheap current-model Apple device, but you might be able to get a cheap iPod mini when dealers try to shift all of that old stock.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #3 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

The first thing to look at is "how much music do I have". Then, ask your self, "do I want to have all of it with me when I am out and about with my iPod".

Once you know that, they you can better determine which model will suit your needs.

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 05:20 PM   #4 (Print)
Sneals2000

Nano is very cute, and impossibly small. However until they actually start delivering the tubes to protect it it is very prone to surface scratching...

jsmeeker's advice is spot on - I have a 30Gb 3rd Gen I pod (touch wheel, but 4 separate buttons in a row above) - which is still just large enough to house almost my entire CD collection (there are a few discs I haven't ripped - but not many) This is very useful to carry around - and really does change the way you listen to music. Great for long journeys, travelling away from home (with a small pair of powered speakers it is great for a hotel room!) etc.

The Nano (and to an extent the Shuffle) are great if you are travelling light and just want to carry around a small sub-set of your collection to listen to whilst out walking, or on a short commute. The lack of a hard drive and the ludicrously lightweight construction of the shuffle/nano really has to be seen to be believed!

I suspect the Nano or Shuffle are the best "robust" solutions - the Shuffle particularly.
Sneals2000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #5 (Print)
tartan_haggis
MacTiVo

Send a message via MSN to tartan_haggis
I too like the look of the iPod Nano, but if going to the expense of buying an iPod would prefer to get 20-40Gb of storage and make it a one-off investment.

Another possibility I'm looking at is upgrading my mobile phone to the new Sony Ericsson W800i Walkman Phone. It only comes with a 1Gb memory stick, but that's pretty good for a phone and saves having 2 devices - but the relatively low storage would mean having to swap the music about a lot from PC to phone. The advantage for me would be that my contracts coming up for renewal and it probably won't require any up-front cost.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:27 AM   #6 (Print)
bradleyem

Send a message via MSN to bradleyem Send a message via Yahoo to bradleyem
the iPod nano is fantastically small, makes my old 3G one look huge - it's not that much bigger than the shuffle. Is is just so thin...

I think it all depends on what you want it for. When I bought my iPod I wanted one that would hold most -if not all- of my music. 40G does that - just. (36.5G and counting). If you want one to take away for a few days and you know what you want to listen to during that time, then the nano is what you need. Me, I can never decide and I'm fussy as to what I listen to and when, so I like the ability of having all my music with me.
So much, that I may go for the 60GB colour soon so I can keep doing so. Although I may hold out as I'm sure an 80G is round the corner (not heard anything, so don't get exited!)

bradleyem is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2005, 11:28 AM   #7 (Print)
bradleyem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartan_haggis

Another possibility I'm looking at is upgrading my mobile phone to the new Sony Ericsson W800i Walkman Phone. It only comes with a 1Gb memory stick, but that's pretty good for a phone and saves having 2 devices

Don't forget you can get 2GB memory sticks now - does the phone work with that?

Old 09-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #8 (Print)
6022tivo
A Happy Member

I think I will get a Nano, as I said before I don't want a HDD solution, she will drop it.
Now, the 2GB at £139 or the 4GB at £179... £40 for a extra 2GB sounds cheap to me.

Pioneer 505XDE
Old 09-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #9 (Print)
bradleyem

The black one is nice.

If you've not hurry, I reckon there'll be an 8Gb by Christmas.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars

Good review, and they can't break it even when they run it over in a car!

Old 09-22-2005, 12:34 PM   #10 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Maybe the new Sony Walkman MP3 player http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pag...&g=375&pa=gencs ?

Automan
Automan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2005, 08:02 PM   #11 (Print)
bradleyem

have they finally fixed the crap software?

Old 09-22-2005, 10:03 PM   #12 (Print)
Sneals2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyem

Apparently they are ditching SonicStage - and they have already introduced MP3 compatibility (previous Sony music players were ATRAC only AIUI)

Personally - I think the iPod is a great bit of design and engineering. The ease of use, playlist functionality, and the integration with iTunes just works for me. One of the most troublefree purchases I have ever made.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #13 (Print)
mrtickle

You are also paying a large premuim for the brand. Other players are cheaper with better features, capacity, and battery life. Can you replace the batteries when it dies, or is it sealed inside rendering your purchase useless?

Why not look at all that is available, and if after that you still decide that an iPod is the best player for you, at least you will have made an informed decision?
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/m...ge_capacity.htm
http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/m...ers_1GB-5GB.htm

HTH

PS HDD-based players aren't necessarily a problem. Some models have technology which detects that it has been dropped, and parks the drive heads before it hits the ground!
mrtickle is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-23-2005, 10:22 AM   #14 (Print)
iankb

Although I'm sure that most manufacturers have (almost) caught up, my 1st generation iPod was streets ahead of others when it came to instant startup, and the ease and speed of the controls. I would definitely replace mine with another iPod. And, no, I'm not a great fan of other Apple products.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
Old 09-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #15 (Print)
AMc

Just got the W800i on upgrade at work - so far it looks like fun but if I can't get my Nokia 6230 to synch with outlook and then outlook to synch with the w800i I'm sunk.
Now I remember why I kept myself locked into Nokia for the last 3 phones...
Mine came with a 512MB memory card, but as I was happy with 256MB on my 6230 I doubt I'll find that too limiting.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #16 (Print)
Sneals2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickle
You are also paying a large premuim for the brand. Other players are cheaper with better features, capacity, and battery life. Can you replace the batteries when it dies, or is it sealed inside rendering your purchase useless?

Not sure about the Nano - but there are replacement batteries available for the larger iPods.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #17 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Sony Connect

http://www.atraclife.com/index.php?showtopic=179 Shows the new Sony Walkman's and the Connect software.

Looks like you can star rate tunes (like ipods).

RIP - SonicStage

Automan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyem
Old 09-24-2005, 07:11 PM   #18 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

The iPod battery life thing is in the past. I have a new colour 60 (following a stone floor-40G interface problem) and the batteries last a flight to the Pacific coast, which is the longest it ever gets used for away from power.

I ummed and ahed about what to replace the 40 with, and went for the 60 as it holds three quarters of my record collection, although I was this close to getting a Mini. If the Nano had come out a fortnight earlier I wouls have got one of them.

iTunes smart playlist featues makes operating with a subset of your record collection viable; you can tag songs to be always availble, to have all recently ripped songs available, and to replace songs you've listened to on the road with ones you haven't head for a while when you sync.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-25-2005, 02:44 PM   #19 (Print)
iankb

If you read this story in The Register, you might be pleased to have not bought the first generation Nano.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #20 (Print)
6022tivo
A Happy Member

Ian.. You have a Cat, and you have chucked it in amongst the pigeons.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/w...UpD.0@.68b94d61

You are a right a 300+ thread about very easy scratching to the plastic, it has halted my purchase for now.... What a bugger.

Pioneer 505XDE
Old 09-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #21 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

Sony NW-HD5 NWHD5H

I did not think I would be able to reccomend the above to anyone.

But to be honest it's pretty cool.

Stupid I know when I have their next generation machine on order I got myself a NW-HD5

The unit is pretty cool and can charge via USB (thus power unit still sealed in pouch).

To my amazement they HAVE fixed most of the problems in earlier NW-HDx devices.

1. Play all by an artist works (still case sensitive e.g. 10cc 10CC listed as seperate artists).
2. Play Lists Work Before they did but it actually copied the tracks over again to the device to form the playlist. Thus if you played the CD and tracks in the playlist were their twice or more (depending upon how many playlists track in).
3. Very good battery life.
4. Keyboard hack to turn off EU volume limit.
5. Resume last playing track.
6. User firmware upgradable.
7. Supports remote controls with LCD display (not provided by default).
8. 20Gb & 30Gb model same size.
9. Easy to read display (when backlight on).

The unit has only one negative - SonicStage

It took me three computers before I find one that would run this application.
Typically it would load okay but after inport of all my mp3's (just over 10,200) the pc would stick at 100cpu utilisation.

Software would also keep running after application was ended.

One can of course download and test SonicStage before you purchase the unit by downloading from http://www.connect-europe.com (click under system requirements on right hand side near top).

I would also assume when the new Connect software is launched this device will be compatible.

P.S. 30Gb £199.00 20GB £170.00

Pick the model that can absorb all your MP3's in mp3 format or allow 36hrs for sonicstage to convert / transfer tracks to device.

Automan.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #22 (Print)
iankb

And the latest on the Nano screen problem.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:59 AM   #23 (Print)
AMc

Update on the Sony Ericsson W800i...

As a phone it works fine- still getting used to the non-nokia interface. The phone comes with a charger and USB lead and will charge from USB which is handy as I have a charger at home and USB at work. Synching from Outlook worked OK once I'd got Nokia DataSuite to give in and connect to bring my numbers onto the PC. Screen is lovely.

As a camera it's OK - 2MP for a phone is great but the picture quality isn't going to beat a camera. The sliding cover and horitontal holding position are very nice though.
Example picture from my phone
As an MP3 player - you must use their Disc2Phone software - directly copying the MP3 doesn't work - the files move but the player software won't recognise them. Also the Memory stick isn't recognised when it's not connected via the phone which is odd.
The card can be removed and replaced from the side of the phone, no need to power down and remove the battery as I did with my Noka 6230.
The handfree/headphone set up is very nice. The ear buds are the stuff right in your ear isolation type and fit very well (3 types provided) - not sure about the long term health benefits of ramming them into your ear canal though. Sound quality is very good with my 196Kbps MP3. The killer is the handsfree has a phone connection at one end leading to the microphone which has a standard 3.5mm stereo jack at the other end so you can use any headphones you like and still keep the handsfree!

Pretty pleased - especially as it arrived unlocked from Vodaphone so I can use my Virgin SIM in it and divert my work number on to that

Old 09-30-2005, 06:36 PM   #24 (Print)
browellm

I seem to be one of the lucky punters without the widely reported scratching problems. Had my white 4gb for a couple of weeks now, used it normally, in the pockets etc. with no problems.

The black one is super sexy, but I was worried it would mark too easily.

Amazing bit of kit, pure witchcraft if you ask me.

To echo sanderton, the smart playlists are a very good way of getting around the limited storage capacity.
browellm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-02-2005, 06:35 PM   #25 (Print)
Sneals2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by browellm
I seem to be one of the lucky punters without the widely reported scratching problems. Had my white 4gb for a couple of weeks now, used it normally, in the pockets etc. with no problems.

The black one is super sexy, but I was worried it would mark too easily.

Amazing bit of kit, pure witchcraft if you ask me.

To echo sanderton, the smart playlists are a very good way of getting around the limited storage capacity.

My white 2Gb was replaced yesterday - it had got scratched beyond belief. There was originally a degree of hesitancy - "It's made of the same plastic as regular iPods..." etc. That was until I produced my 2.5 year old 3G 30Gb iPod which, if anything, had been handled more roughly - but with hardly a scratch on it. My Nano looked like it had been attacked with wire wool... Pity there still aren't any cases around for them - mine is staying inside its plastic packaging until the tubes ship. (It is lovely - and Smart Playlists do indeed rock)
Old 10-03-2005, 06:22 PM   #26 (Print)
Automan
Victor Meldrew

SonicStage 3.x

Earlier in this thread I said Icould not get SonicStage to work on two XP computers.

I have now discovered the problem lies with my mp3 files.

It seems when it reads ones (I think with embedded picture files) that it gets stuck and leaves the cpu and max load.

I have yet to find a program that cleanly removes the image data from all files.
I have one that works but it also delete all enchanced data and truncates track titles and loses genre info.

Of course other mp3 programs read the files okay.

I suspect MusicMatch of making the changes to the files but not 100% positive.

Automan.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #27 (Print)
6022tivo
A Happy Member

They have modded the 2GB Nano to a 200GB nano.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ipod_N...ructions/Page_3

Pioneer 505XDE
Old 11-16-2005, 11:41 AM   #28 (Print)
AMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan
I have yet to find a program that cleanly removes the image data from all files.
I have one that works but it also delete all enchanced data and truncates track titles and loses genre info.

I have a problem with Artwork in MP3 files that prevents my Netgear MP101's from playing them. I find editing the 'info' for the track in iTunes strips them to the point that my MP101 doesn't say 'unable to play file' and skip to the next one.

(And a quick LOL at that mod - I thought it was just a low grade joke but then read they'd actually bothered to do it)

Old 11-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #29 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

I was going to say, try iTunes - Select all, and check the artwork check box but leave it blank.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #30 (Print)
Major dude

I bought a 1GB iShuffle just before the Nano came out & at first I was a bit miffed at the time as the nano looked so nice and the 4GB would have replaced my 1st gen 5GB iPod perfectly. However compared with my old iPod with firewire there would have been a major compromise here on download speeds. I use iTunes running on an iMac G4 so I do not know how a proper USB2 connected Nano or iShuffle performs. But I suspect that even with a proper USB2 the loading-up time for both is much slower than for my old iPod with firewire. You are talking 10 to 20 minutes to load rather than 2 to 4 minutes per 1,000 songs.

As for nano v iShuffle If I was being logical about my buying decision, then the iShuffle, with the way I use it, makes much more sense as a player. I almost never look at it when in use as I leave it to randomly play, so why would I want a tiny colour screen that I never look at? The random selection when you update from iTunes is perfect to catchup on new tracks I have loaded recently and changes the selection sufficient for it not to seem stale.

All that said the nano is so nice that if I had not bought an iShuffle for myself and a pink iPod mini for my wife then it would have been irresistable.

One last thing do not expect any customer support once the 1 yr guarantee expires so consider buying a 1 yr extention during the yr after purchase for a nano. Probably not worth it for an iShuffle.
Major dude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post