TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2005, 07:31 AM   #91 (Print)
LordKronos

I think that makes the most sense....Ethan mysteriously disappeared 44 days ago. The idea that Ethan didn't enter the code 44 days ago and the plane crashed doesn't make much sense the more I think about it. Why would anyone care so much whether another plane or boat crashed as to dedicate their life to going insane entering numbers every 108 minutes. Not my problem...I've got a nice island to enjoy...give me some company!
LordKronos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 07:34 AM   #92 (Print)
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

If there are 44 members of the 'camp' on this side of the island, how many people wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are 64 members of the tail section on the other side of the island.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:34 AM   #93 (Print)
the_scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos
108 minute countdown

Desmond mentioned something about being surprised that the rest of the world still exists (don't recall the exact wording). So what, did he think there was supposed to have been a world wide nuclear war and that's why he's hiding out. I guess his medicine might be to treat for radiation exposure (Potassium Iodide?) just in case there is a leak somewhere in the hatch...though wouldn't he have a geiger counter?

My guess is that there is some biological agent released to the world, hence the "quarantine" written on the inside of the hatch - ie the outside world was quarantined!

Paul M.

1 x DSR708 (80GB MRV)
1 x HR10-250 (800GB)
1 x RS-TX20 (unmodified -- damn!)
the_scotsman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 07:38 AM   #94 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos
What was the 20 year comment you refer to?

Locke commenting about the computer, "I haven't seen one of those is twenty years." Just interesting that is one of the first things that people noticed in discussions about the show and Locke is also pointing it out.

I was talking to my wife this mornign and I had a thought. When I told her that DHARMA was what was on the symbol, she immidiately thought of a defense type project acronym.

Then I started thinking about JJ Abrams other show and how it deals with secret government agencies. (I never have watched it though as I just did not get into it when it first came out, something I am now regretting).

Any Alias fans see anything in that?

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #95 (Print)
jlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon2
I have to doubt he knew she was there, just a shot in that direction. Much like some thought he recognized Jack in the last episode, but now we see he clearly didn't. My guess is next episode Kate will surprise Desmond and attack him. She took off to go somewhere anyhow.

Sorry, matter of the words not matching what I was thinking....I meant that "we" knew Kate was up there, not that I thought Desmond knew Kate was up there.

Regarding the whole Dharma thing mentioned above.....Isn't she Gregg's wife?

Old 09-29-2005, 07:43 AM   #96 (Print)
LordKronos

My biggest hope now is that we don't go 5 seasons (or whatever) only to have them discover....hey, its a big experiment, and as soon as we stop entering the confirmation code, they (whoever are running it) will know its over and come get us. That would be a huge disappointment. Almost as bad as them taking 5 seasons to make it to the other side of the island only to discover "hey, this isn't really an island" or "hey, there's a major city over here".

Now I'm figuring after a few episodes they start to incorporate Desmond into their group (like they did with the French woman). Eventually there will be some debate about what exactly happens if they don't enter the numbers, and then someone finally decides to test that theory. Maybe Locke, since he's been on kind of a holy mission...screw everyone else, maybe he'll think "it's my destiny to stop this", sneak in there, and knock out desmond just before he enters the numbers, then let the timer run out. Or maybe they decide to take turns to give Desmond a break and Locke intentionally misses his turn. Then what happens after that? Can you say season 2 cliffhanger?
LordKronos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 07:45 AM   #97 (Print)
Frank_M

I'm going to go with this theory: The "him" Desmond is talking about?

Alex.

Reasoning?

1. His race around the world might have been as part of Rousseau's crew.

2. He'd know Alex as a small child, and not recognize him now.

3. Anything he would have remembered about him would have related to when he (Alex) was a small child... i.e. "What did one snowman say to the other snowman?"

4. He asked about the crew "getting sick".... just as Rosseau did.

5. He has the same crazy eyes she does.

This still doesn't explain all the things in the bunker that seem newer than when Rosseau's ship supposedly crashed there... but it does explain the vast majority of them.

Just a theory.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:46 AM   #98 (Print)
jlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L
Then I started thinking about JJ Abrams other show and how it deals with secret government agencies. (I never have watched it though as I just did not get into it when it first came out, something I am now regretting).

Any Alias fans see anything in that?

Funny you mention that, but in today's USAToday, they had blurbs from the Alias producers (or maybe the author's wishes) about tonight's premiere, they mentioned, jokingly, that they should have a Lost and Alias crossover.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Lost experiment was titled Rimbaldi or something?

Old 09-29-2005, 07:55 AM   #99 (Print)
Chandler Mike
Lost

Send a message via ICQ to Chandler Mike Send a message via AIM to Chandler Mike
I am not thinking the countdown causes something like a plane crash or anything...think about it:

He's on the Island, thinks the outside world is gone, or sick...and so he's in a sort of safe house, away from everything.

The countdown is a failsafe...if the hatch is breached, or if Desmond dies, the countdown might destroy the safe house, taking away the evidence that it was ever there, or killing those who take it over and have no idea what code to eneter into the computer.

The way he has to enter it...I'm sure it's for his own good in there...

Mike
Chandler Mike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #100 (Print)
eddyj
Not Eddie, damn it!

Speaking of new things that should not be there...the lava light that they showed this episode seems to be one of the "newer" ones, that is much sleeker (tall and narrow) than the old-style ones. It jumped out at me cause I have one of the old-style ones sitting om my desk.
eddyj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:08 AM   #101 (Print)
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

Send a message via AIM to Mike Farrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj
Speaking of new things that should not be there...the lava light that they showed this episode seems to be one of the "newer" ones, that is much sleeker (tall and narrow) than the old-style ones. It jumped out at me cause I have one of the old-style ones sitting om my desk.

I thought that too. It had an annodized look to it. Also, some of the food containers in the store room are of the newer molded built-in hand grip style. Stuff that has onl been around for about 10 years or so.
Mike Farrington is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #102 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_M

Alex.

Reasoning?

3. Anything he would have remembered about him would have related to when he (Alex) was a small child... i.e. "What did one snowman say to the other snowman?"

This still doesn't explain all the things in the bunker that seem newer than when Rosseau's ship supposedly crashed there... but it does explain the vast majority of them.

Just a theory.

Umm, Rousseau said Alex is a woman, did she not?

Old 09-29-2005, 08:12 AM   #103 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
I'm guessing it was from the days of the Apollo space missions (1961-1972). If it was a real candy bar, the popularity probably continued for a few more years after 1972. I doubt they were ever truely popular, except among children. Perhaps they have them there simply because they were surplus items at the time.

But a 30-year-old candy bar would not be exactly edible...

And as for Alex--wasn't Alex a girl?

Old 09-29-2005, 08:13 AM   #104 (Print)
JDHutt25
Not actual size

Send a message via AIM to JDHutt25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_M

Alex.

Reasoning?

Just a theory.

Isn't Alex a girl...I remember Rousseau saying she.

JDHutt25 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #105 (Print)
Mike Farrington
Fatty McButterpants

Send a message via AIM to Mike Farrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
But a 30-year-old candy bar would not be exactly edible...

Maybe it wasn't a straight-up candy bar, bu one of those "astronaut food" things that last forever, like an MRE? Either that, or Kate is about to knock out desmond so she can sit on his toilet for a few hours.

And yes. Alex is definitely a girl. It had been established.
Mike Farrington is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #106 (Print)
Chandler Mike
Lost

Send a message via ICQ to Chandler Mike Send a message via AIM to Chandler Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHutt25
Isn't Alex a girl...I remember Rousseau saying she.

Shortest lived theory of all time

Mike
Chandler Mike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:21 AM   #107 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
I'm guessing it was from the days of the Apollo space missions (1961-1972). If it was a real candy bar, the popularity probably continued for a few more years after 1972. I doubt they were ever truely popular, except among children. Perhaps they have them there simply because they were surplus items at the time.

It's common in movies for candy bars to be named after space stuff... it's a joke about "Mars" bars. You'll often see candy bars in movies named "Galaxy bars" or "Jupiter bars" or something.

I wouldn't read too much into the name indicating a timeframe.
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #108 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
As for the other stuff in the episode...

I agree with the previous post that the countdown is a safeguard. If Desmond dies or the bunker is compromised, if the numbers aren't entered, it'll blow.

I missed the logo on the shark - cool! I thought the flashbacks were good and I liked seeing the polar bear.

I have no idea who the other is supposed to be... but I'm not convinced it's Ethan. That seems too easy. My guess is Walt.

As for 'brother'... again, I think too much is being read into that. It's clear Desmond just says that a lot so all I see it was for was to indicate to Jack (and to us) that he was the person from Jack's past.
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #109 (Print)
jubrand
Temporarily Stairs

Send a message via Yahoo to jubrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by zync
Please go back and edit your original reply, and it is not not spoilerized and I too just had that moment "ruined".

The original isn't even there anymore. I took it off about 5 minutes after I realized my mistake. Don't know how you saw it an hour later.
jubrand is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:33 AM   #110 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

I still think whatever experiment/research that Desmond is a part of has something to do with curing paralysis. It's too coincidental that Jack's "unfixable" wife walks after his encounter with Desmond and the same thing happens to Locke when he lands on his island.

Maybe the cure had some unintended side effects. Although I can't really match that up with Locke losing his ability to walk during the plane/Boone scene- maybe it has something to do with the magnets...

Old 09-29-2005, 08:39 AM   #111 (Print)
nataylor
Curiously Strong

Send a message via ICQ to nataylor Send a message via AIM to nataylor Send a message via MSN to nataylor Send a message via Yahoo to nataylor
I hear on the radio that both Jack's wife and Locke smelled something funny right before they could walk again. Does anyone remember this?

Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 AM   #112 (Print)
dtivo04

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor
I hear on the radio that both Jack's wife and Locke smelled something funny right before they could walk again. Does anyone remember this?

Jack's wife said that he smelled bad, real bad (it was from his run at the stadium with Desmond). I don;t remember Locke smelling something.
dtivo04 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:46 AM   #113 (Print)
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

good episode. a bit of reused footage but nice knitting together of the two cliffhangers. great stuff.
mrpantstm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #114 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Man, I've got to get my life put back together and get HD and HDTiVos again.

I miss too much stuff watching on analog cable and recording on VHS tape!

(For those who don't know, my house and all my TiVos were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.)

Anyway, some of my thoughts...

Desmond's bunker is clearly built to house two people (bunk beds, ping pong table, etc.). It's likely, IMHO, that he is alone because something went wrong, and something "happened" to his roommate.

When he asked Locke if he was "him", however, I got the impression "him" was something more than just a replacement. Desmond said "him" with extreme reverence, like the person he was waiting for was some kind of savior. Of course, relief from his tedious existence might be considered "salvation" in any case. But I still get the impression that "him" might be someone that Desmond believes is going to end this whole thing.

I think the only reason Locke took his shoes off was to be more quiet and sneak.

Once again, Locke thinks he has his destiny all figured out, only to be stunned and surprised to not find what he thought he was going to find. He does a pretty good job of thinking on his feet, though.

I don't believe Desmond knew Kate was behind the grate, his shot was random bad luck.

Desmond's use of "brother" reminds me of Alex from "Clockwork Orange".

I'm not convinced that Desmond didn't recognize Jack at the end.

When he saw Jack through his telescope he didn't recognize him, but when he sees his face closeup, and Jack exclaims, "YOU!!", Desmond breaks out in a great big evil grin. I think he recognized Jack at that point.

Just a few random thoughts...

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:49 AM   #115 (Print)
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test
when she started eating the candy bar (around this scene) she kind of pointed the wrapper face up...it said APOLLO, is that a really candy? never heard of it

I found a webpage title The Candy Company - Discontinued Items, which lists "Apollo Candy" as no longer available (there are other similar pages to it as well).
thenightfly42 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:49 AM   #116 (Print)
Magister
.357 Mag

Send a message via AIM to Magister Send a message via MSN to Magister Send a message via Yahoo to Magister
The candy bar (in my memory) had a Mylar wrapper. That makes me think it is pretty recent. That would jibe with the new Washer/Dryer.

I didn't catch the logo on the shark, thanks for the screen shot.

Michael is a terrible person. He just stays angry ALL the time. I can understand why Walt's mother wouldnt' want to be around him. Watch what you say, he will freak out again...

How many knives does Locke carry with him?!?
Magister is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:49 AM   #117 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76
I still think whatever experiment/research that Desmond is a part of has something to do with curing paralysis. It's too coincidental that Jack's "unfixable" wife walks after his encounter with Desmond and the same thing happens to Locke when he lands on his island.

Maybe the cure had some unintended side effects. Although I can't really match that up with Locke losing his ability to walk during the plane/Boone scene- maybe it has something to do with the magnets...

I agree with this. Desmond, and whatever he is up to, is related to both Locke's and Sarah's "miracle cures".

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:52 AM   #118 (Print)
Amnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003
If there are 44 members of the 'camp' on this side of the island, how many people wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are 64 members of the tail section on the other side of the island.
But there were originally 48 or something, right? Boone died, as did Scott (or was that Steve?) and that woman drowned and now there's Aaron...oh, and Arzt died. And the marshal.

That's what? 48 - 5 + 1 = 44.

Are you suggesting that no one else is going to die just so we keep at that magic 108 number?
Amnesia is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 AM   #119 (Print)
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

My favorite line of this episode...Sawyer pulls out the bullet with his bare hands, looks over at Michael floating on the other piece of the raft and says "Got any band-aids?" right before passing out.

Locke saying that Kate's with him to Desmond was a close second.
gonzotek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #120 (Print)
MasterCephus

Send a message via AIM to MasterCephus
^ Safety measure ok....

but why just 108 minutes then? Why not make it 24 hours? That way it the person could get into a routine and get some rest...wouldn't make him crazy...
MasterCephus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post