TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: Where should TC-Con '06 be held?
Vegas, Baby (again) 81 64.80%
Orlando 16 12.80%
Land / Cruise hybrid 21 16.80%
Other 7 5.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2005, 12:16 PM   #1 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
TC-Con '06 - The NEW official location thread

In light of the fact that New Orleans is likely to no longer a viable alternative for a 'Con next year (sadly), and since everyone has had some time to cool down since the original poll, a few folks felt it was a good idea to start a new poll to determine the location for TC-Con '06.

I'm adding in the same options as last time (sans New Orleans). Please vote for the location you prefer best. If you prefer "Other", please post what city/location you prefer. And please, let's not get into the semantics of what the Poll SHOULD have been, or which options should or should not have been included.

If anyone wants to review the original discussion about location, you can do so via this link.

I'm keeping the first post as the "business" part of the thread. My personal comments are forthcoming.

And please, gang... let's keep this constructive.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #2 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
I had to vote Vegas again.

I think it offers the best opportunity for what we want to accomplish: a place we can all stay together with plenty of activities for just about any group, anytime.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 12:19 PM   #3 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

It's all about The Vegas

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 12:21 PM   #4 (Print)
KenDC
&

Send a message via AIM to KenDC
Dang, what too you so long??

Love you, Jay!!

Thanks again for taking this on. (not to mention on top of the Dallas meet you are in the middle of right now.) Great job with that, BTW.

Anyway...I was a New Orleans person and would like to table New Orleans as a top choice for 2007 if that means anything.

Of course, I would love DC for $$$ reasons but understand Vegas and will be voting for that.

Ken
KenDC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #5 (Print)
Langree
Goomba

Send a message via AIM to Langree
About a month or so ago I actually started looking into doing a Cruise, 4 Days out of Galveston to be exact. I'm getting ready to leave for Dallas, but will post what I toyed around with after the Serenity meet.

I will say right now that departing out of Galveston was on average $200 cheaper then Florida or Southern California.

Was looking at end of June, sometime in july.

like i said i'll get more indepth when I have time to focus on it and pull up/update the info I have.

Edit to add: if we do this I can take the lead, my father has been setting up group cruises for years.

Langree's hit the nail on the head. -- AJRitz
Beaten to the punch by Langree. -- Clutchbrake
Reading Langree's next post makes me feel better. -- Hoffer
Langree is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #6 (Print)
YamahaRick

Send a message via AIM to YamahaRick Send a message via Yahoo to YamahaRick
An Alternative: Atlanta

13 of us had a great time last Saturday, meeting for lunch at a Japanese eatery. We even had two lovely ladies travel from out of state; Jennifer from AL and firerose818 from TN.

I'd be more than happy to coordinate something for Atlanta. Braves baseball, the new Aquarium, CNN Center, World of Coca-Cola, fabulous places to eat, Stone Mountain, Fernbank Science Center ... the list of fun things to do around here is endless.

Atlanta ain't Vegas ... I'll be the first to admit that. But not everyone is a "Vegas" kind of person. So, as an alternative, I present Atlanta. :-)
YamahaRick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #7 (Print)
eddyj
Not Eddie, damn it!

Vegas as a vacation destination does not do much for me. Vegas as the site of the Con gets my vote. Last year convinced me (and I had not been too fond of the Vegas choice in the first place).
eddyj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 12:56 PM   #8 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

OK....

I know I mentioned in the "other" location thread that if it were in Vegas again, I'd host again. It's just that I know how Vegas works, and I can run a Vegas 'Con again. Anywhere else, I'm starting from scratch. With Vegas, I already have contact names and numbers. I've talked to a lot of people and can actually plan it, because I have the foundation from TC-Con '05. Any other place, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable running it. That's not a knock against any other city nor should it be construed as such.

I also know there's some concern about it being "just Vegas again". So I want to throw out that we do NOT have to do the New York New York as our group hotel again. The only reason we did it for this year was because they're the ONLY hotel on the Vegas strip that could give us a group rate on hotel rooms without giving us financial stipulations. And frankly, they did absolutely nothing to cater to us as a group. Yes, they were friendly and helpful... but the room rates weren't fantastic and folks found better deals booking individually. So I say, we skip the "group" room bookings and everyone get their own place. We'd just need to decide on a hotel ahead of time, and then everyone can book their own room through whatever avenue they like.

I know we talked a LOT about doing the Flamingo last year, and would like to re-raise that idea. The Flamingo is a decent hotel, it's priced very well, has a fantastic pool area... but most importantly, it's centrally located on the Vegas strip and has a monorail stop nearby.

Of course, the thing with Vegas is that it's cheapest during the week. So we'd be stuck with an "early in the week" 'Con again. I, personally, am OK with that. I know other folks aren't. Yeah, we could do a weekend 'Con... but prices for a lot of stuff (particularly things for the 'Con, like a ballroom rental) are going to be higher on the weekend.

And yes, it is "Vegas again". But I'm personally OK with that, because Vegas caters to so many things a 'Con needs. It's a 24 hour city. You don't need to rent a car. Everything is nearby. Folks are able to wake up in the morning and go downstairs and bump into folks and grab them for a meal, or a coffee, or to just sit in the bar and relax. Everything is centrally located. There's a lot to see and do, and it's reasonable.

While I'd love to do Orlando.... well, the problem with Orlando is that it's a tourist area focused on families. So folks would want to bring their families to the 'Con. Which would mean having it during the summer break periods when the various amusement parks and attractions are seeing record high attendance numbers, and when hotel rooms can be at a premium. That just doesn't appeal to me. Trust me when I say that one of the WORST levels of hell is trying to deal with 49,999 other tourists in the Magic Kingdom. It is something you would not wish on your worst enemy.

But regardless.... I'm very much one of those "I go to the 'Con because I want to see my friends, and make new friends" people. I go because it means I can spend time with old friends just gabbing over breakfast. I go because I get to meet new friends who I've had little contact with before, but who quickly become dear friends over the course of a week. I go because I get to come home with hundreds of memories which make me smile and feel warm and tingly inside, much like morphine.

So location isn't a huge concern for me. I'll be wherever I need to be.

But given a choice? I prefer Vegas. It works for us. It works well. So I vote for Vegas.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #9 (Print)
Langree
Goomba

Personally, Vegas would be harder for me and probably more expensive since walking around to get from place to place is a pita for me that leaves using cabs.

I'm not totally opposed to Vegas.

The thing I like about a cruise is:

It's self contained (except shore excursions, etc)

All food is included, 24 hours a day, including room service (except liquor)

Entertainment on board ship

Don't hafta worry about Hotel availability, we'd all be on the same boat

FYI, part of the reason I picked the months I picked is we do have students who do attend school and this opens it up for them.

Also on children, Carnival has programs for kids etc, lots for them to do.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #10 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
A cruise is perfect for all our needs. So it'll probably be Vegas again. I'll go wherever!

Old 09-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #11 (Print)
smak

I think you'd probably get about 1/2 the people on a cruise then you'd get in Vegas, if that.

A cruise just doesn't cater to all the different travel schedules that people will have.

Some people came to Vegas for 6-7 days.
Some people came for 24 hours.

A cruise you HAVE to be there an exact timeframe, no exceptions.

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #12 (Print)
ellinj
Quack

Send a message via AIM to ellinj
I voted for vegas, not only because I like vegas, but I think that is an ideal place to have this type of event. Lots of things for people to do, even if you aren't into gambling. Plus everything is fairly accessible and easy to get to. I would prefer some place mid strip like the Flamingo but I would imagine that we would have the same problems that we had last year in regards to contracts so I would be okay with NYNY if it came down to it.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #13 (Print)
Graymalkin
Halfwit Pundit

Send a message via AIM to Graymalkin
I'd really like to try a cruise this time, just to do something different. But I have absolutely no objections to a Vegas Con like the last two.

That is, if there's any money left after New Zealand.
Graymalkin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 01:31 PM   #14 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaRick
13 of us had a great time last Saturday, meeting for lunch at a Japanese eatery. We even had two lovely ladies travel from out of state; Jennifer from AL and firerose818 from TN.

I'd be more than happy to coordinate something for Atlanta. Braves baseball, the new Aquarium, CNN Center, World of Coca-Cola, fabulous places to eat, Stone Mountain, Fernbank Science Center ... the list of fun things to do around here is endless.

Atlanta ain't Vegas ... I'll be the first to admit that. But not everyone is a "Vegas" kind of person. So, as an alternative, I present Atlanta. :-)

Atlanta is good for a regional meet, but I don't think it's great for a national once a year meet.

I know this is going to sound rude, and it's not my intention, and I'm sorry for going down this path, but if you don't like Vegas, do you have a suggestion for a place that you don't live in?
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 PM   #15 (Print)
Langree
Goomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak
I think you'd probably get about 1/2 the people on a cruise then you'd get in Vegas, if that.

A cruise just doesn't cater to all the different travel schedules that people will have.

-smak-

That is why you buffer it with a day or two in Houston, tho Astro World will be gone there's the 6 flags water park and the space center.

I also think your 1/2 may be a bit high.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:33 PM   #16 (Print)
eddyj
Not Eddie, damn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak

-smak-

This was the main reason I did not go for the cruise option. I agree that a cruise would be great, in terms of having stuff you need and everybody being in one place and whatnot. But it REALLY limits options. I can see many scenarios where I could go to Vegas, but not to a cruise. Not the least of which is the last-minute decision.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #17 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree
That is why you buffer it with a day or two in Houston, tho Astro World will be gone there's the 6 flags water park and the space center.

I also think your 1/2 may be a bit high.

Is Houston a big cruise port destination? I thought the best Carribean Cruises leave from Florida. If people do do a cruise, I think Florida is a better terminus, b/c of the Beach or Orlando destinations. (Note: I am a big Vegas Proponent).
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 01:41 PM   #18 (Print)
cheerdude

Voted for Vegas - basically for all of the reasons mentioned above. In addition, I happen to love the city.

And TB - I don't think you were rude at all. If this was the very first big meet that we were doing, I think that Rick, myself, and everyone in the greater Atlanta area would probably be trying to get "THE MEET" to be here.... and yes, it would partly be for selfish purposes.

However, I do feel that Vegas is a unique location/destination. It has a bit of something for everyone... and can cater to the long-staying traveler just as easy as the traveler passing-through.

I also think that New Orleans '07 would be a great thing to shoot for.... and, I just thought of something else. Maybe we can do the cruise option as part of an anniversary celebration with TiVo corporate? Granted we need to still be around at that time <ducks>... just something to additionally think about.

Jeff

You are coming to Vegas in late June.... right?
cheerdude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #19 (Print)
YamahaRick

Send a message via AIM to YamahaRick Send a message via Yahoo to YamahaRick
Quote:
Personally, Vegas would be harder for me and probably more expensive since walking around to get from place to place is a pita for me that leaves using cabs.

This is an important factor for me. For example, in the basic research I've done in regard to looking for facilities and/or things to do around here, transportation was my number one concern.

The basic scope of the planning for hosting an ATL Con was as follows:

1. Schedule Thursday (or Friday) through Sunday ... minimize need for taking vacation time. Also good for getting better hotel rates (in this market).
2. Hotel one block from MARTA transit (train) station. Direct service from airport; no rental or taxi required. A very central location that would allow easy access to a wide variety of attractions/activities. It would be up to the individual (or mini-group) of folks to actually determine what you want to do/see/experience. A weekend pass for the bus/rail transit system would be part of the Con package, allowing you easy access around town.
3. Host hotel that can host a group this size, as well as host a group function on a Saturday night. I found several that would be suitable for this, and were very willing to work out an attractive room rate (< $100 a night) and add perks for the group function.
4. The only full "group" activities would be a Saturday afternoon social and evening dinner. Sunday would be Brunch at a very nice (but not the host) hotel restaurant (http://www.sundialrestaurant.com/) that happens to be on the way to the airport from my target hotel area. This would ease the pain for those that need to catch a return flight that day. For those that have more time, they have a bar that offers equally spectacular scenery.

If you are wondering if I'm more concerned about logistics than having fun, yes, you are right. Group activities that are not planned well are not fun. However, be assured that fellow TCF member SoBelle0) is in charge of the "fun" stuff, and she is fully qualified to share information about fun things to do here in town. Not to mention places to dine as well. She's well versed with that kind of stuff.

Spring time is a great time to be in the South. It ain't Vegas, but not everyone is a Vegas kinda person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy
Atlanta is good for a regional meet, but I don't think it's great for a national once a year meet.

I know this is going to sound rude, and it's not my intention, and I'm sorry for going down this path, but if you don't like Vegas, do you have a suggestion for a place that you don't live in?

And it just may be another "mini meet" for ATL ... which is fine. However, I feel strongly about the features and attractions in this area, and have the ability to assist locally. While there are many great places to choose from other than ATL, I cannot help from a logistical standpoint as I would here. I've lived in the metro area for over 26 years now, and kinda know a few things. I cannot say the same for places like Boston, Chicago, or Tokyo. :-)

As you can see, even my neighbor cheerdude has a different opinion. Bottom line is different strokes for different folks. I just want to volunteer ATL as a viable alternative to Vegas.

Last edited by YamahaRick : 09-29-2005 at 01:51 PM.
YamahaRick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #20 (Print)
SueAnn

Send a message via AIM to SueAnn Send a message via MSN to SueAnn
Quote:

I vote Vegas for the con!

Honestly, I arrived in Vegas...hitched a ride to the hotel...walked a block to brunch...walked back and didn't leave the hotel until a taxi picked me up to take me to the airport two days later. I'm sure that with a little coordination the people who need to be driven can be driven (many people had rental cars.

But .... if there was a TC cruise I would be VERY interested in attending!

Old 09-29-2005, 01:52 PM   #21 (Print)
pendragn

I didn't vote, as I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I think we're going on a cruise next spring and I'm hoping to swing over to Korea again next year. So odds are I won't have enough vacation regardless of where it is.

Plus any of the proposed locations look good should I be able to swing it.

tk

Old 09-29-2005, 02:00 PM   #22 (Print)
waldingrl
AKA PB

Vegas baby! For the reasons already laid out by so many before me.

QQQQ
waldingrl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 02:02 PM   #23 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj
I voted for vegas, not only because I like vegas, but I think that is an ideal place to have this type of event. Lots of things for people to do, even if you aren't into gambling. Plus everything is fairly accessible and easy to get to. I would prefer some place mid strip like the Flamingo but I would imagine that we would have the same problems that we had last year in regards to contracts so I would be okay with NYNY if it came down to it.
Actually, if we did Vegas again, I'm gonna ask that we NOT stay at the NYNY, and we just settle on an "official" hotel and let folks book rooms through their own methods.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #24 (Print)
Langree
Goomba

I mentioned in my first post that cruises out of Galveston were at least $200 cheaper then out of Orlando.

4 night cruise to Cozumel starting at $535 per person (with fees) (August 3-7)

same Cruise in October cost start at $379

4 Night cruise out of Orlando starts at $639 (before fees) August 6.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:10 PM   #25 (Print)
Hippster

Vegas!

Disney is better done in smaller groups. Who wants to have a 'con when we can be in line for the Rockin' Rollercoaster at MGM? Some people like cruises. I've never been on one and really have no desire to do so. There are only so many things that you can do on a boat if you aren't in the sunbathing crowd. Like others have mentioned, you are trapped on the thing from start to finish. That doesn't bode well for most schedules not to mention those that need space to escape from crowds.

Like Skittles said, NYNY was the ONLY hotel on the strip to give us any kind of group rate without promising our souls to them if we failed to meet a quota. $95 honestly sucked so I'd also vote to skip the group rate and just go for reserving a 'con space somewhere. Quarks might be a good location for a 1/2 day event.
Hippster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #26 (Print)
eddyj
Not Eddie, damn it!

Quote:
I mentioned in my first post that cruises out of Galveston were at least $200 cheaper then out of Orlando.

4 night cruise to Cozumel starting at $535 per person (with fees) (August 3-7)

same Cruise in October cost start at $379

4 Night cruise out of Orlando starts at $639 (before fees) August 6.

How does air fare compare, though? ORlando, being very popular, nahd having lots and lots of flights, tends to have good fares. Same for MIA/FLL. If the cruise is cheaper buyt the air fare higher, then there is no gain. Not saying it is, just wondering.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:14 PM   #27 (Print)
IndyJones1023
Don't believe it

Send a message via AIM to IndyJones1023 Send a message via Yahoo to IndyJones1023
The Hooters Casino will be open by then!

Old 09-29-2005, 02:17 PM   #28 (Print)
eddyj
Not Eddie, damn it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaRick
If you are wondering if I'm more concerned about logistics than having fun, yes, you are right. Group activities that are not planned well are not fun.

I have to disagree somewhat with this. We had a bunch of very organized activities at the Con last year, and they were a blast. But there were many others that were done spur of the moment, with random groups that got together with no previous planning, and those were just as much fun. The nice thing was that there were places were we could just "drop in" with 30+ people, and have no problems. That flexibility is where Vegas shines.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:19 PM   #29 (Print)
Havana Brown
Brown Again

Send a message via MSN to Havana Brown Send a message via Yahoo to Havana Brown
I see this thread taking the same path as this:

Con '06

Havana Brown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 02:20 PM   #30 (Print)
Maui

Vegas with a cruise #2.

I like the idea of a cruise but as Smak said a cruise locks the attendees in to a certain time frame. You can't arrive late or leave early for that matter.