July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #61 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
As long as they don't scurry on the floor of my hotel room, I'm OK with it!
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2005, 02:48 PM   #62 (Print)
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

I'd like to go but I don't think I can make it up there this weekend

mrpantstm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #63 (Print)
debtoine
got helicopter?

Ok, In are you in?

Last call for those who want to go. I need to adjust the number on the reservation by tomorrow!

Anyone else?

deb
debtoine is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #64 (Print)
Animgif
Law Stud[ent]

Send a message via AIM to Animgif
Crap, crap, crap...I wish I had known about this 2 weeks ago! I scheduled a trip to East Texas to visit my brother...blah...I really need to start monitoring the meets section. I never really hit over there (and barely have time to hit Happy Hour these days).

Have a drink for me =(

PS : debitone, clean out your inbox

Old 10-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #65 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtoine
Ok, In are you in?

OK, consider me in...I wouldn't say 100%, but enough to add into the reservation.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #66 (Print)
debtoine
got helicopter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animgif
Crap, crap, crap...I wish I had known about this 2 weeks ago! I scheduled a trip to East Texas to visit my brother...blah...I really need to start monitoring the meets section. I never really hit over there (and barely have time to hit Happy Hour these days).

Have a drink for me =(

Consider it cleaned out

Too bad you can't make it!

Toine
Old 10-18-2005, 01:20 PM   #67 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animgif

That's a really cute nickname for somebody.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 01:24 PM   #68 (Print)
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

Doug, do I understand correctly, you are not attending the NYC TCF meet?

No attendance, no fun, no food and no shirt.

-Robert
DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #69 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

100% in, or I just booked a hotel room for nothing.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #70 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Oh, and I wasn't sure I was gonna drive or take a train or what...

And I grabbed an AirTran flight, an Internet special from here to NYC for $39 OW! (About $90ish RT including taxes, etc.)

The bad news is that the flight out is early Sunday...like 8:45 AM (gulp!) from LGA. But I couldn't pass it up. I just won't be able to stay up forever on Saturday.

The good news is that since it's an AirTran flight, it leaves from Akron/Canton, which is closer to me and has cheaper parking.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #71 (Print)
landrumdh
TCon '06 Booked!

Send a message via ICQ to landrumdh Send a message via AIM to landrumdh Send a message via Yahoo to landrumdh
mehh just sleep on the plane

although those of us on metro north have to leave ~1am or we'll be stuck till ~6am

Anybody want to rent this space?
landrumdh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #72 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Er, $96.90 including taxes. But still, not bad! Especially for a last minute decision!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #73 (Print)
debtoine
got helicopter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated
Er, $96.90 including taxes. But still, not bad! Especially for a last minute decision!

Hurray! So glad you'll be joining us. I'd already moved you to the definite list anyway, so you were stuck.

deb
Old 10-18-2005, 03:59 PM   #74 (Print)
tase2
Certified enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tase2
I was really looking forward to meeting everybody (finally), but as coincidence would have it, my wife was part organizer of a NYC meet on Sunday 10/23 for one of her Doll groups.

Initially that just seems to be the absolute perfect scenario, right?
Wrong Her meet includes bringing the dog, as they are meeting at some park in The Bronx. It just gets too complicated and expensive to find a place that accepts dogs, and a little to much for 1 weekend to go back & forth to NYC twice.

As I posted earlier, I will be in NYC on Sun 10/23. I don't know if anyone will still be around or not. However if it rains her meet will be canceled. So I was just wondering if there were any plans for Sunday if the weather cooperates?
tase2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #75 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Hurray! So glad you'll be joining us. I'd already moved you to the definite list anyway, so you were stuck.

And since I'm leaving so early Sunday, my transportation options to the airport are expensive and limited But I'm still paying less than the extra fare would be to leave later in the day...
Old 10-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #76 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

OK, need some help here.

I can get a commuter bus into NYC Port Authority bus terminal at 7:20 AM Sunday. I'd like to get out to LGA an hour ahead of my flight, which would be 7:45ish (flight is 8:45 AM). Is it reasonable to expect that I can go up and grab a cab at the PA terminal as soon as the bus gets in, and get out there at least by 8 or so? Or is that pushing it? I figure traffic will be light early Sunday...
Old 10-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #77 (Print)
ellinj
Quack

Send a message via AIM to ellinj
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh
mehh just sleep on the plane

although those of us on metro north have to leave ~1am or we'll be stuck till ~6am

And if I recall correctly that last change takes forever to get back to connecticut because it makes every stop.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #78 (Print)
debtoine
got helicopter?

Quote:
OK, need some help here.

I can get a commuter bus into NYC Port Authority bus terminal at 7:20 AM Sunday. I'd like to get out to LGA an hour ahead of my flight, which would be 7:45ish (flight is 8:45 AM). Is it reasonable to expect that I can go up and grab a cab at the PA terminal as soon as the bus gets in, and get out there at least by 8 or so? Or is that pushing it? I figure traffic will be light early Sunday...

I don't live in the city, but I would think that you could get a cab fairly easily that early in the morning. Have you seen this site? There might be some cheaper options, and 1 or 2 start at 7am. I have no idea if it's reasonable to think you could get to LGA from Manhattan in 45 min, but it seems like you should be able to that early on a Sunday. Maybe someone like Miro, Mike or Raj can tell me if I'm way off base or not.

deb
Old 10-18-2005, 08:31 PM   #79 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
I don't live in the city, but I would think that you could get a cab fairly easily that early in the morning. Have you seen this site? There might be some cheaper options, and 1 or 2 start at 7am.

Yeah, in fact, the New York Airport Bus I was looking at starts early enough, but wouldn't get there in time from my 7:20 arrival on the other bus from NJ. I'd have to wait 20 minutes at Port Authority, and I'd be getting to LGA 5 minutes before the flight leaves.

I figure that's because the bus has to make other stops in Manhattan before it heads out, for one.

I have a reservation for a car to take me directly from the hotel in NJ, but it costs just a bit less than the round trip flight!
Old 10-19-2005, 06:11 AM   #80 (Print)
nyny523
QUACK!

Send a message via AIM to nyny523
Quote:
OK, need some help here.

Even with light traffic, getting from Port Authority to LGA in 15 minutes is really pushing it. But if your bus gets in at 7:20, you could be in a cab by 7:30 (there should not be a line at that hour on a Sunday morning), and getting to LGA in 30 minutes at that time should be no problem - are you ok getting there 45 min before your flight?. FYI, the cab ride is a flat fare - I think it's around $35 to LGA.

Also - check with your hotel to see if they have a shuttle service direct to the airport. These are usually cheap and reliable, and they can make the arrangements for you.
nyny523 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #81 (Print)
landrumdh
TCon '06 Booked!

Send a message via ICQ to landrumdh Send a message via AIM to landrumdh Send a message via Yahoo to landrumdh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj
And if I recall correctly that last change takes forever to get back to connecticut because it makes every stop.

Wouldn't know, I just sleep on the train, so I have enough energy to drive home

Anybody want to rent this space?
landrumdh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #82 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523
Even with light traffic, getting from Port Authority to LGA in 15 minutes is really pushing it. But if your bus gets in at 7:20, you could be in a cab by 7:30 (there should not be a line at that hour on a Sunday morning), and getting to LGA in 30 minutes at that time should be no problem - are you ok getting there 45 min before your flight?. FYI, the cab ride is a flat fare - I think it's around $35 to LGA.

OK...this clears things up for me.

I think I'll stick with the previously arranged car. If it's roughly $35 from PA to LGA, then I'm really not saving THAT much by taking the commuter bus into PA...and I'll be assured of getting there on time with the car taking me directly.

Thank you for your help!!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:44 AM   #83 (Print)
nyny523
QUACK!

Send a message via AIM to nyny523
Quote:
OK...this clears things up for me.

I think I'll stick with the previously arranged car. If it's roughly $35 from PA to LGA, then I'm really not saving THAT much by taking the commuter bus into PA...and I'll be assured of getting there on time with the car taking me directly.

Thank you for your help!!

Don't forget to ask at the hotel about the airport shuttle - I am sure this will be less expensive!
nyny523 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 12:56 PM   #84 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523
Don't forget to ask at the hotel about the airport shuttle - I am sure this will be less expensive!

Nope, there's no hotel shuttle. Now, if I were paying the roughly $200-300 I've seen quoted for hotels closer into Manhattan...there'd probably be a shuttle!

I'm not staying all that near into LGA, really.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #85 (Print)
NYCwbyfan
This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer
Deb, hope it's OK to post this here, but I need to know everyone's shirt size so I can bring everyone's HD DVR TiVo shirts.
-Robert

XL for me please! Looking forward to meeting up with you kids this Saturday!
NYCwbyfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 PM   #86 (Print)
ellinj
Quack

Send a message via AIM to ellinj
Hey if its not too late I need a 2xl

Old 10-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #87 (Print)
debtoine
got helicopter?

Ok, I've confirmed our reservation and changed the number to reflect the definites listed.

I have one request, PLEASE BRING CASH! It will make it a lot easier when it comes to bill paying time. We will only have one check and the gratuity is going to already be added (20%) for us.

I can't wait for Saturday!

deb
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 AM   #88 (Print)
pigonthewing
Why bother blogging?

What time is everyone actually getting to NYC? Are there plans for anything mid-day? I'll be waking up, as I do every morning, about a half an hour from the city, so I'm for getting together a lot sooner than dinner.

I have no actual suggestions what we'd, ya know, do or anything, but still.. thought I'd at least ask.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #89 (Print)
pigonthewing
Why bother blogging?

Just checked, and it's supposed to be "breezy and cool with periods of rain" on Saturday. The predicted temperature range is 47-53, but those numbers are for Wayne, NJ - not actually NYC. It does tend to be warmer in the city (because anger generates energy, I guess).

Anyway, so an outdoor thing might not be best (ie: chillin' at Central Park, maybe with a frisbee) but not be impossible either. We'll have to see how close the weather is to its prediction, I suppose. Of course, you could also just leave the city and sit in my living room. That might be pretty boring, but it'd be dry. Seriously though, I'd be up for anything. A museum, FAO Shwartz, whatever. There's a lot more to any given Saturday than just dinner is basically what I'm getting at.

Ooo! And after dinner, let me suggest now (and, trust me, I probably will suggest again later) dessert at DTUT on 84th & 2nd (I think). It's a really super-cool coffee shop where you can make s'mores and/or order a bunch of other great stuff. The name stands for DownTown UpTown, and is meant to imply that it offers downtown style inspite of its uptown address. It does.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:02 AM   #90 (Print)
debtoine
got helicopter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigonthewing
Just checked, and it's supposed to be "breezy and cool with periods of rain" on Saturday. The predicted temperature range is 47-53, but those numbers are for Wayne, NJ - not actually NYC. It does tend to be warmer in the city (because anger generates energy, I guess).

Anyway, so an outdoor thing might not be best (ie: chillin' at Central Park, maybe with a frisbee) but not be impossible either. We'll have to see how close the weather is to its prediction, I suppose. Of course, you could also just leave the city and sit in my living room. That might be pretty boring, but it'd be dry. Seriously though, I'd be up for anything. A museum, FAO Shwartz, whatever. There's a lot more to any given Saturday than just dinner is basically what I'm getting at.

Ooo! And after dinner, let me suggest now (and, trust me, I probably will suggest again later) dessert at DTUT on 84th & 2nd (I think). It's a really super-cool coffee shop where you can make s'mores and/or order a bunch of other great stuff. The name stands for DownTown UpTown, and is meant to imply that it offers downtown style inspite of its uptown address. It does.

I'm not sure when we're going in to the city either. We might go earlier in the day to see an old friend of ours we haven't seen in a while. That said, if we don't do that, we could be up for something else earlier in the day, depending on what group consensus is.

As for DTUT, can they handle a group our size? Is it a big place or a small place? I have no objection to having a few people at several tables, but if it's too small a place and if it's crowded with lots of people, it might not be as fun. Of course, no way to know how many will be interested in something like this. Let's see who else replies.

deb