Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2005, 11:14 PM   #1 (Print)
CrazyFred

I played with R15 for 3 hours on Sunday

Any questions for me guys? I will do my best to answer them, though I work late shift usually and do not have the ability to log on often so be patient.

Also, my friend would probably kill me if she knew I was doing this. I was at her place Sunday watching football for the afternoon using her R15.

My basic impressions:

If you like the D10 interface, you will like this product as it is almost identical

The one touch recording button is cool and very quick.

It cannot cache both tuners at the same time which really sucks

Most of the trick play was responsive (pause, rewind, stop, fast forward), although when going at higher speeds with rewind and fast forward when you hit pause it sometimes took about 10 seconds to stop which meant you were way past where you needed to be.

The bookmarks or ticks is a nice feature

The hard disk space gauge is a positive over Tivo.

I was not able to use any of the search functionality or setup any future recordings, but did go through those menus. A little more complicated than Tivo's in my opinion.

Apparently the software version on her unit still wasn't the final version and end of October is probably the earliest anyone will see this in a store (I asked when I could buy one). Still some bugs to work out.
CrazyFred is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #2 (Print)
SpacemanSpiff

Quote:

That's a serious, major negative for me.
SpacemanSpiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #3 (Print)
Ultrafied
Mike

"It cannot cache both tuners at the same time which really sucks" ... can you explain? Does this mean you can't watch a previously recorded item while recording on both tuners or that you flip back and forth between both tuners while recording?
Ultrafied is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #4 (Print)
ADent

It was reported that there is only one LiveTV cache, vs the two of a DTiVo. So no just flipping back and forth between two channels if nothing is recording.

What happens if you have two recordings at once? How easy is it to flip back and forth?
ADent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-04-2005, 11:30 PM   #5 (Print)
peteypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent
It was reported that there is only one LiveTV cache, vs the two of a DTiVo. So no just flipping back and forth between two channels if nothing is recording.

What happens if you have two recordings at once? How easy is it to flip back and forth?

Isn't that effectively the same as a single tuner tivo on a TV with another tuner?
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-04-2005, 11:31 PM   #6 (Print)
CrazyFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrafied
"It cannot cache both tuners at the same time which really sucks" ... can you explain? Does this mean you can't watch a previously recorded item while recording on both tuners or that you flip back and forth between both tuners while recording?

It means you cannot have two live shows caching at the same time and flipping back and forth. This is a major turn off for me as that is a great feature with Tivo.

As it pertains to your question, you can watch a previously recorded item while recording two shows at one time, just like Tivo. However you cannot cache live programming on both tuners at the same time.
CrazyFred is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-04-2005, 11:34 PM   #7 (Print)
peteypete

Does it have 30 second skip?
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 01:28 AM   #8 (Print)
goony

Quote:
Any questions for me guys?
Can you view a recorded program from the start if the recording is still ongoing, or do you have to wait for it to complete to view it at all?

Example: You start a 2-hour recording at 2:00, you get home at 3:00 and want to begin watching it from the beginning right away.
goony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 06:41 AM   #9 (Print)
keeferb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFred

Was the caller ID functional?
keeferb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 06:57 AM   #10 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeferb
Was the caller ID functional?

Caller ID is not really that hard to work, in my opinion. So I think it will be working fine and probably is working.
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 06:57 AM   #11 (Print)
TimGoodwin
Need to time shift!

Send a message via AIM to TimGoodwin
Big Grin

Is it gonna rain tomorrow?
TimGoodwin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #12 (Print)
SteelersFan

Quote:

This is definitely a deal breaker for me! Why would they design this machine like this? It seems strange that you can record two programs at once but not have cache for each tuner for live TV. Watching two live games at once while not missing a single play is a must for me!

SIR-S4080R (BR)
DVR80 - (BR)
SD-DVR40 - (Office)
All Zippered!
SteelersFan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 08:14 AM   #13 (Print)
ipfreely

[QUOTE=CrazyFred]

[QUOTE]

That's just plain gay

DVD-9000 reference DVD-Audio/Video
Sony MSW-M2000P MPEG IMX Studio VTR
ipfreely is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 08:16 AM   #14 (Print)
vigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
This is definitely a deal breaker for me! Why would they design this machine like this? It seems strange that you can record two programs at once but not have cache for each tuner for live TV. Watching two live games at once while not missing a single play is a must for me!

same here.

course, we still haven't seen the final product yet.
vigfoot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 08:55 AM   #15 (Print)
7thton
Frak!

Quote:
Any questions for me guys? I will do my best to answer them, though I work late shift usually and do not have the ability to log on often so be patient.

Also, my friend would probably kill me if she knew I was doing this. I was at her place Sunday watching football for the afternoon using her R15.

My basic impressions:

If you like the D10 interface, you will like this product as it is almost identical

The one touch recording button is cool and very quick.

Most of the trick play was responsive (pause, rewind, stop, fast forward), although when going at higher speeds with rewind and fast forward when you hit pause it sometimes took about 10 seconds to stop which meant you were way past where you needed to be.

The bookmarks or ticks is a nice feature

The hard disk space gauge is a positive over Tivo.

I was not able to use any of the search functionality or setup any future recordings, but did go through those menus. A little more complicated than Tivo's in my opinion.

Apparently the software version on her unit still wasn't the final version and end of October is probably the earliest anyone will see this in a store (I asked when I could buy one). Still some bugs to work out.

Does it have a "folders" like feature?

Old 10-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #16 (Print)
f300v10

Quote:

CrazyFred, did you see anything in the menus about conflict resolution/management for 'season passes'? That was something that was not covered at all in the users manual that made the rounds a few months ago.

Thanks.
f300v10 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #17 (Print)
judson_west
TiVo, spot on!

Quote:
If I remember correctly, when the DirecTiVo first came out, it was a single tuner machine. This was because of 2 things: 1) Conflict resolution and scheduling between the two tuners needed to be worked, and 2) Running/Managing 2 live TV buffers needed to be worked.

I have yet to hear of anything compelling that would make me interested in having one of these in my home.

Sony SAT-T60 (2)

And a bunch of other junk that makes watching TV enjoyable.
judson_west is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 12:46 PM   #18 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain

Quote:

Me too! AND I'm also a Steelers fan - we have stuff to watch!!!!

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #19 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

The DirecTiVo boxes from the start were dual-tuner in the hardware, but the software did not enable the second tuner. A software update later did so.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #20 (Print)
ddobson

Quote:
It means you cannot have two live shows caching at the same time and flipping back and forth. This is a major turn off for me as that is a great feature with Tivo.

Count me OUT! Love that Tivo

Thanks DTV but no thanks. I'll keep my SD Tivo's for now.

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
ddobson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 01:33 PM   #21 (Print)
allan
Resident modern nut

Quote:

Strike one! This wouldn't be a deal-breaker, but it's a significant drawback. The R15 would need something a lot better than a free space indicator before I'd switch. Assuming no other major problems.

BEEP
allan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #22 (Print)
chrisexv6

I find it oddly coincidental that the cableco DVRs seem to work the same way: you cant have a buffer going on 2 tuners at once.

Wonder if everyone is switching to the same basic "less expensive" hardware than the existing Tivos use. Makes me wanna hit Ebay for 1 or 2 more HDVRs

-Chris
chrisexv6 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 02:16 PM   #23 (Print)
Nightfall

I don't use the buffer on the second tuner, so it isn't a deal breaker for me.

Not that I was going to go out and get the R15 right away anyway. I will just wait until some units are out in production before I draw any conclusions or bash it. The finished product could be different. Someone sitting in front of it for 3 hours will give an average person a good idea of the product, but having it in your possession for 2-3 weeks would be a better indicator.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #24 (Print)
ad301

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6
I find it oddly coincidental that the cableco DVRs seem to work the same way: you cant have a buffer going on 2 tuners at once.

Wonder if everyone is switching to the same basic "less expensive" hardware than the existing Tivos use. Makes me wanna hit Ebay for 1 or 2 more HDVRs

-Chris

Actually, The Comcast 6412 does have dual buffers, allowing you to "swap", as they term it. I was using it this past weekend to keep up with two HD football games simultaneously. The software does have other serious drawbacks compared to TiVo, but this is one thing it does do. I'm not sure about the SA HD boxes out there. If the new DirecTV DVRs can't do dual buffers, they might actually be in a class by themselves.
ad301 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #25 (Print)
peterl1365

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan
Strike one! This wouldn't be a deal-breaker, but it's a significant drawback. The R15 would need something a lot better than a free space indicator before I'd switch. Assuming no other major problems.

It seems to me that dual-tuner buffereing should be doable with a software update. If the hardware is capable of recording two programs, then there's no reason it couldn't buffer two programs.

Now, given D*'s history of software updates, this may not be saying much, but I think the feature will eventually be included.
peterl1365 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 04:25 PM   #26 (Print)
acf135

does it have FF compensation?
acf135 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 04:59 PM   #27 (Print)
bengalfreak

If both tuners cannot be cached, does that mean you can't pause what you are watching, switch tuners, pause that show and then switch back to the original tuner picking up where you left off?

Old 10-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #28 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
If both tuners cannot be cached, does that mean you can't pause what you are watching, switch tuners, pause that show and then switch back to the original tuner picking up where you left off?

That's EXACTLY what it means, which is why everyone's PO'd about it.

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #29 (Print)
smak

If you pause one tuner, go watch a pre-recorded program for a few minutes, is that tuner still paused in the same place you paused it?

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #30 (Print)
mikeinla

As was evidenced (and discounted by some) in the users manual that was floating around online...

The the inability to cache both tuners is a MAJOR step BACKWARDS...I happen to use both frequently...

I would have no interest in this device and would be more than a little upset if DTV did not continue to support and supply dual tuner Tivo...I believe Motorola does have a two cache box available through Adelphia now...would hate to go back but this is a dealbreaker

DTV needs to watch their back...the SBC folks were literally wiring my street and all the MDU's on it with fiber optic cable today...i asked the tech and he stated that faster DSL and "cable tv" was due out shortly in LA....

Last edited by mikeinla : 10-05-2005 at 11:57 PM.
mikeinla is offline Report Bad Post Report Post