TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #61 (Print)
smak

This is actually a total dealbreaker for me, even though i'd never want to buy one anyway.

It seems from what Dan is saying, there's only a live buffer if you're not recording. If you have something recording there is NO live buffer for that recording, and if you are recording 2 things at the same time, there is no live buffer at all.

That's horrible. I use the live buffer all the time, for sports, live events, news, etc..

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #62 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by db54
i hope that the reported release date is not set back again so that earl may get his review done for us, cause all this speculation is driving me nuts
Actually, I hope that the release date is pushed back so that they can fix some of these shortcomings. And, make sure the thing works.

Old 10-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #63 (Print)
doconeill
Unix Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoak
Well, Directv's Chief Technology Officer Romulo Pontual seems to agree with you, as he said in this article: "(TiVo) is a great interface for watching what's been recorded, (but it's) not so great for live TV".

So why does TiVo apparently do live TV better than the R15?

Their objection is that it keeps wanting to change changes to tape something it thinks you'd want. Apparently they haven't figured out that they actually turn that feature off.

Oh yeah, a lot of first posters here haven't figured that out either...

I'm a live TV viewer who's had TiVos for years. I'm actually totally lost being down a tuner on my HDVR2

HDR312 Standalone (128 hour, retired)
doconeill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #64 (Print)
dssdbs
dss of dbs

Still don't see why there is even a discussion of this R15. It is not a DirecTV with TiVo receiver. This site is called "TiVo Community" for a reason.
dssdbs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #65 (Print)
SpacemanSpiff

I have to wonder exactly what focus group they talked to in the design phase of this product. In any product roll-out it's better to add new features that people want, not take stuff away, or if you do take stuff away, make sure that you replace it with something that makes the users forget all about what they lost.

I don't see that happening here.
SpacemanSpiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #66 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisexv6
I find it oddly coincidental that the cableco DVRs seem to work the same way: you cant have a buffer going on 2 tuners at once.

Wonder if everyone is switching to the same basic "less expensive" hardware than the existing Tivos use. Makes me wanna hit Ebay for 1 or 2 more HDVRs

-Chris

A: Yes, everybody is switcihng to cheaper hardware, most likely.

B: Those hardware choices very likely have nothing to do with the shortcomings in, or like in the R-15 softwate, as they are software shortcomings, whch could be worked out.

Remember, DirecTV TiVos have been around for 5 years, so that gives them time to get it right.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #67 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

I am awiting on a da pinz an needlz for Earl. IMHO that is the only review at this point I will take at face value cause 1. he is good and 2. he is not a beta tester he will get the same machine i will get (Mabye!! ) So I will ignore any further posts for the R15.. For someone who claims to have used one and was open to questions didnt seem to give many answers. Sorry Crazy fred but now I seem to have more questions than answers about this TING!

Old 10-06-2005, 07:37 PM   #68 (Print)
mikeinla

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpoppa
At first I considered this a deal breaker, but if you are watching two programs, you could just record them both, which would, in effect, buffer them both. I usually do this on my Tivo anyway so that I don't accidentally change the channel and lose the buffer.

I know it's a little kludgy, but it is a workaround. There may be patent issues that they are forced to get around, or maybe they're just lazy. Don't know which.

Actually without 2 buffers, you will only be able to watch one of the programs. You will have to wait until the other one fully records before you can watch it.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. A definite step back for DTV.

Nice going Rupert. The SBC folks have been stringing fiber optic lines up and down my street for the last two days...SBC cable is coming...they're going to make some serious competition for cable co's and satellite.
mikeinla is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #69 (Print)
mikeinla

Quote:
Originally Posted by blips
This makes no sense to me? Who is the rocket scientist that thought this one up?

They spent $300 million marketing "New Coke" 20 years ago. Perhaps DTV hired that experience. Or perhaps Rupert is just greedy and doesn't want that entire dollar going to Tivo! That's what happens when you marry someone 40 years younger than you!
mikeinla is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #70 (Print)
Hodaka

I ended up with cold feet and cancelled my R15 preorder and ordered an R10 today and another 300gig drive.. there's comfort in having something you're familiar with and like already..

oh well.. I can read about the R15 when it gets here
Hodaka is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:54 PM   #71 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Chicken.....

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:09 PM   #72 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinla
Actually without 2 buffers, you will only be able to watch one of the programs. You will have to wait until the other one fully records before you can watch it.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. A definite step back for DTV.

Nice going Rupert. The SBC folks have been stringing fiber optic lines up and down my street for the last two days...SBC cable is coming...they're going to make some serious competition for cable co's and satellite.
No, you CAN go into the saved programs list and select a recording that is in progress. However, since that tuner is not available through the "live" interface, the ONLY way to switch between two in progress recordings is to backout to the playlist, scroll to the other recording, and select it, then select play. To switch back, you have to back out again, scroll back to the other recording, select it and press play.

As I noted before, on the Sky+ DVRs, last time I used one, when you left a recording you did not come back to where you left off, you came back to the beginning. I do not know if the DirecTV+ DVR behaves the same in this regard.

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #73 (Print)
SteelersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Chicken.....

Smart chicken...

SIR-S4080R (BR)
DVR80 - (BR)
SD-DVR40 - (Office)
All Zippered!
SteelersFan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #74 (Print)
1Dave1

Keep DTivo going

Well I had a feeling when d t v announce they were dumping Tivo in order to build there own poor copy in house that wouldnt be doing anything to benifit the subscribers.

The BEST bet would be to buy up the DTivos activate them and some spares for parts, so you can keep them going for years. (unless d t v FORCES the customers to "junk" there DTivo.

As we all have seen Tivo will only continue to improve there software interface and features while d t v tries to recreate the wheel and break the wagon in order to satify there shareholders.

So the future will be hacking the new upgrades while other sit and enjoy there ONE tuner and SEARCH for there bookmark lol

"3:05 am ...... honey that tivo remote doent work on d ****tv anymore"

4 Dtivos fully optimised, 1-DSR704, 2-DSR6000, 1-DSR7000.......and 3 junkers in a box for parts!

Last edited by 1Dave1 : 10-06-2005 at 11:59 PM.
1Dave1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #75 (Print)
Ultrafied
Mike

Why is it assumed that after the R15 comes out that any new software from Tivo will be delivered D*? As has been stated numerous times, Tivo software is a separate entity from D*. If the current version works, I would naturally assume that D* would not need to pass any upgrades. By upgrading the R15 and its successors, and keeping the Tivo dependents on outdated software, it would appear that D* would eventually bring all but the die hard Tivo supporters over to D*'s way ans still live up to its contractual obligations.
Ultrafied is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #76 (Print)
1Dave1

I was speaking OF TIVO inc. They will continue to upgrade and improve there products.

And as long as we have the spare parts to keep our DTivos running (and dtv doesnt force there dvr down our throats) and the know how to "hack/upgrade" (i.e. v6.2 hmo) then we can most likely stay well above the in house dtv dvr's features and ENJOYABILITY

I rest my case, time will tell the tale. ONLY the subscribers can influince d tv to return or remain with Tivo. Or a SERIOUS belly flop with the new dvr's lol

Good nite all , gonna go dream about sunday........... swapping back and forth between my TWO TUNERS, pause'em, rewind'em, slomo'em and enjoy the football game AND the nascar race AT THE SAME TIME!

Bet a dtv dvr 15 can do that!

Signed: the DTivo REMOTE MASTER! (2 Remotes! 1 for EACH hand for even faster access!) lol

Last edited by 1Dave1 : 10-07-2005 at 12:13 AM.
1Dave1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:50 AM   #77 (Print)
kturcotte

Getting new Tivo software has benefits as well as problems. Look at the copy protection on the SA Tivos. I think we're in a sweet spot with our DirecTivos right now. We can hack them and enable HMO and MRV and other features, but don't have to deal with the new copy protection "feature."
Stocking units is a good idea, but make sure they're not HDVR2s. I guess the new card Directv is sending out won't work with them.
kturcotte is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 AM   #78 (Print)
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
I connected a 6th DirecTiVo today, running in "boat anchor" mode (not activated), so I can transfer recordings that must be saved over to it. I have a box full of partially working SD-DVR40's and Samsung SIR-40X0's in the basement as spare parts too. There's no way I am switching to this crappy new box with no way to MRV, no known way to upgrade the drive, and who knows what other MPAA-inspired lunacy inserted into it.

TiVo SA 240080 (347hr)
(plus many not in use)
Arcady is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:56 AM   #79 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
Remember, DirecTV TiVos have been around for 5 years, so that gives them time to get it right.

How in the world is that an excuse for the R15 to not live up to the R10 and the D* DVR's that came before it? Didn't D* have the DTivo under their roof for those five years? There is simply no excuse for them to release a new machine that isn't at least an equal to the current Tivo unit.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:39 AM   #80 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
...Remember, DirecTV TiVos have been around for 5 years, so that gives them time to get it right.
Except for the turn on of the second tuner (which happened over 4 years ago) the only change in the software features has been folders. So, if the DirecTiVo got it "right" it did so right from the beginning. We are not talking about features that have not been included, we are talking about BASIC operational paradigms that are either cumbersome or flat out impractical.

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 07:57 AM   #81 (Print)
Firegeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill
So why does TiVo apparently do live TV better than the R15?

Because they own the technology. You all seem to be missing the big picture here: DirecTV is shying away from the core technologies for which TiVo owns the patents. It's not that they want to leave out the cool features like swappable tuners, they just don't want to get their asses sued off (like Echostar is as we speak, and Time-Warner surely will next, etc etc).
Firegeek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:26 AM   #82 (Print)
Sir_whinealot
Seenyer Member

I think you hit it.....D* has some limitations due to the TiVo patents as to exactly how much they can do. I have to think that the dual tuner buffering thing is but one of the shortcomings on the R15 that is being affected by these limitations.

That lawsuit is a big deal to D* and could end up costing them in the long run.
Sir_whinealot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #83 (Print)
Hodaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Chicken.....

probably a little There were just too many unknowns. Is the harddrive upgradeable? Will DirecTV extend the rebate? I could have probably lived with the known shortcomings in this thread, but I suddenly realized that I'm fairly happy with my R10 , so why not get another? If the R15 comes out and it is the best thing since sliced bread, then I'll probably get one down the road, but I'm not going to regret getting another R10..
Old 10-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #84 (Print)
Applied

Can anyone comment on the speed of the guide and if it includes wishlists? I switched over from Dish Network and much prefer their DVRs but I have to admit I really like the Wishlists on Tivo. Although the speed of it just kills me everytime I try to watch live tv, espcially flipping through channels in the guide to watch different games on NHL CI.

Is the guide much, much faster? Personally I can't wait for these to come out. As soon as I hear a review, I'll be first on the list. Anyone want a R10?
Applied is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:47 AM   #85 (Print)
curtis0620

Old 10-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #86 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
There is simply no excuse for them to release a new machine that isn't at least an equal to the current Tivo unit.
Yes there is and it is one word, CHEAP.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:59 AM   #87 (Print)
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

DIRECTV has extended the $100 mail-in rebate, which now expires 2/28/06.

-Robert
DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #88 (Print)
FourFourSeven

Well, there are several annoyances (the lack of two buffers, the klutzy bookmarking stuff, the "blank screen of death" when recording, no 30-second skip, etc., etc.). No single one is a dealbreaker, but together, they make me want to stick with my HD Tivo for the time being.

So what's the big deal? We CAN stick with DTivo, for at least another 15 months or so. By that point, it's likely some of these annoyances will be addressed. Even if they're not, we'll probably be very close to a cablecard Tivo, or a Comcast Tivo, for those of us in Comcast country.
FourFourSeven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #89 (Print)
Hodaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer
DIRECTV has extended the $100 mail-in rebate, which now expires 2/28/06.

-Robert

hmm, that might have helped with my decision last night when I was trying to make up my mind. Too bad we didn't know sooner. Still, I'm happy with my decision.

One deciding factor for me was that even if they offer some sort of networking, what good would it do me with one R15 and one R10. Maybe down the road I'll replace both the R10s with 2 of the new directv units and I can use that feature.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #90 (Print)
jmoak

It looks like we lost CrazyFred!

Did anyone see the black directv helicopters around his house real early last wednesday morning?

jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post