TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #91 (Print)
the_scotsman

I have no plans to purchase an R15 right now it represents just too much of a backwards step. I like the Dtivo and, with 6.2, I have have MRV between all the SD DTivos. This is great as I'll have 3 of the DSR7000s as archive machines (kids, movies, other) effectively creating my own personal video-on-demand!

The only thing better would be to have 6.3 on the HR10-250 and have a second one for conflicts.

Paul.

1 x DSR708 (80GB MRV)
1 x HR10-250 (800GB)
1 x RS-TX20 (unmodified -- damn!)
the_scotsman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #92 (Print)
ihatecable

Does the R10 have a buffer on both tuners?
ihatecable is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #93 (Print)
curtis0620

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatecable
Does the R10 have a buffer on both tuners?

yes

Old 10-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #94 (Print)
ChrisWyso

Send a message via AIM to ChrisWyso
Question Unit Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer
DIRECTV has extended the $100 mail-in rebate, which now expires 2/28/06.

-Robert

Thanks Robert. Is the price of it still $100, or did they bump it to $149? Just curious, my pre-order stands with you either way.

Thanks again.

-Chris

ChrisWyso is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #95 (Print)
turls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Collins
Except for the turn on of the second tuner (which happened over 4 years ago) the only change in the software features has been folders. So, if the DirecTiVo got it "right" it did so right from the beginning. We are not talking about features that have not been included, we are talking about BASIC operational paradigms that are either cumbersome or flat out impractical.

Exactly. I'll ask again--they have zero regard for customers if for a lousy $1.13 a month they won't even come out with a MPEG4 Tivo box to give me at least an option of keeping the interface that works that I am used to. I would pay them a $1 a month extra for Tivo--it would be less than a percent of my bill most months.

Exactly what I expected. Lots of "little things" that really add up and destroy the DVR experience.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #96 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls
I would pay them a $1 a month extra for Tivo--it would be less than a percent of my bill most months..
Funny thing, based upon what I am reading, DTV is going to charge all of us an extra $1 per month starting when the R15 is released, even if you have a DTiVo, so I would say their savings of about $1 per month is based upon us paying them an extra $1 per month? Go figure!

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #97 (Print)
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWyso
Thanks Robert. Is the price of it still $100, or did they bump it to $149? Just curious, my pre-order stands with you either way.

Thanks again.

-Chris

Thank you Chris and my $99.99 price stands with you either way as well. We still do not have an official price, but I do expect it to be $99.99 and as stated the $100 mail-in rebate has been extended to 2/28/05.

-Robert
DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 06:12 PM   #98 (Print)
Jerw134

I can't wait to kick Tivo to the curb, but DirecTV is going to have to come up with something better than this garbage.
Jerw134 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 06:51 PM   #99 (Print)
Scopeman
SDTivo, HDTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls
Exactly. I'll ask again--they have zero regard for customers if for a lousy $1.13 a month they won't even come out with a MPEG4 Tivo box to give me at least an option of keeping the interface that works that I am used to. I would pay them a $1 a month extra for Tivo--it would be less than a percent of my bill most months.

Exactly what I expected. Lots of "little things" that really add up and destroy the DVR experience.

If all of us 2.3m DTivo user paid that extra $1/month DTV would get - $2.3M. Wow. You could develop an MPG4 HD DTivo with networking and Tivo2Go with $2.3M.

NOT.

DTV is going to offer a new DVR to new customers and leave the old Tivo users alone. They have no incentive to bother us - we're easy money, every month. We have very low churn rates. We like our hardware.

But new owners of the R15 will also like it for the same reason that cable co DVR users like those ones - DVR is cool, even if it is a weak design.

So the new R15 customers will also lke their hardware, will also have low churn, and will also be easy money each month. But the acquisition costs will be substantially below the current $650 per customer, and the money profits will be slightly higher.

From the DTV perspective the NDS DVR might not be perfect but it is OPTIMAL.

Old 10-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #100 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerw134
I can't wait to kick Tivo to the curb, but DirecTV is going to have to come up with something better than this garbage.
Why kick TiVo to the curb. I have had TiVo for five and half years and actually I a very picky person and TiVo has preformed almost perfectly, and that includes the three HDVR2's that I bought two years ago, all of which have been upgraded and hacked for MRV. Maybe I am lucky, but TiVo has been great. And I know based upon my own review that the Sky based DVR sucks in comparison, which is what DTV is likely going to use a base for their new DVR, the R15.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 10-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #101 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeman
But the acquisition costs will be substantially below the current $650 per customer, and the money profits will be slightly higher.
You know what is really funny, the majority of the acquisition cost (about 80%) has little to do with the cost of the DirecTiVo. DTV is saving very little and in fact it might be costing them money to supply their own DVR. I actually believe it is a very stupid decision, but then again a lot of bad decisions come from people in charge of large corporations.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 10-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #102 (Print)
Jerw134

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
Why kick TiVo to the curb.
Because I don't like it, and I want something better. I'm not loyal to Tivo like most people on this board are, I'm loyal to DirecTV.
Jerw134 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 07:25 PM   #103 (Print)
SteelersFan

Anyone seen C-Fred? He has been conspicuously absent from his own thread for 3 days now. Maybe those black DTV helicopters did come and take him away. (Haha, Hehe, Hoho)

SIR-S4080R (BR)
DVR80 - (BR)
SD-DVR40 - (Office)
All Zippered!
SteelersFan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #104 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
Anyone seen C-Fred? He has been conspicuously absent from his own thread for 3 days now. Maybe those black DTV helicopters did come and take him away. (Haha, Hehe, Hoho)

Kinda makes ya wonda if he was F.O.S. Ill take it back if he has a good reason for starting and abandoning a thread with such implications Knowing it would be a major response. Ya gotta water your thread and care for it and watch it grow. A thread aint no air plant or cactus. When ever i start a thread I watch it all the time. Untill it falls off page 1. So IMHO anyone that starts a thread like this and discards it with no good reason is a troll looking to see howmany they can get with their Bull.. Once again Crazy If I am wrong how about coming back and answering questions If you Indeed did use an R15 or tell why you abandoned it.(Family trouble ect we will understand, but you left us all hanging here)

Old 10-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #105 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

No... I think it is more of, his "friend" got wind of him talking about it.
And since it was Employee based testing, that NDA probably carries a termination clause.

She probably asked him to zip it....

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #106 (Print)
SteelersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
No... I think it is more of, his "friend" got wind of him talking about it.
And since it was Employee based testing, that NDA probably carries a termination clause.

She probably asked him to zip it....

Ah ha! Most everyone may remember this previous C-Fred post:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...823#post3047823

SIR-S4080R (BR)
DVR80 - (BR)
SD-DVR40 - (Office)
All Zippered!
Old 10-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #107 (Print)
The Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan

C Fred said in his first post on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Fred
Any questions for me guys? I will do my best to answer them, though I work late shift usually and do not have the ability to log on often so be patient.

The Flush is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2005, 08:52 AM   #108 (Print)
SteelersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFred
...though I work late shift usually and do not have the ability to log on often so be patient. ...

I took it to mean he could not log on often throughout a given day. Looks like I may have been wrong.
Fred, If you're out there, we hope you're OK.

SIR-S4080R (BR)
DVR80 - (BR)
SD-DVR40 - (Office)
All Zippered!
Old 10-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #109 (Print)
Scooter
Still rounding up.

I only got through 2 pages of this thread, and it made me too sad to go any further. What a shame. /me hugs his D-TiVos.

Scooter
Scooter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #110 (Print)
kbohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte
I don't see the big deal that both tuners can't be cached. I RARELY watch live tv, 99% of what I watch is recorded. The 30 second skip wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but Wishlists are, and since nobody has said if it deals with season pass conflicts like Tivo or not, that's another tun off. Also, I imagine they're going to be like Dish's DVRs and not be upgradable.

I agree with you. I've never used the dual tuner cache as I never really watch Live tv with Tivo. If the R15 doesn't have Wishlists and upgradeability then there is no longer any reason for me to have Directv over cable, unless they manage to keep the programming costs lower.

Until the Directv HD-DVR comes out though, I'm definitely staying with them. I really hope Directv doesn't screw up a good thing here by getting rid of Tivo, but I'm fearing the worst after what I'm hearing about the R15.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #111 (Print)
jim_jimmers

Quote:
It cannot cache both tuners at the same time which really sucks

deal breaker for me as well. it is one of the features i use all the time. i hope this is changed in future releases.
jim_jimmers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #112 (Print)
kbohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodaka
I ended up with cold feet and cancelled my R15 preorder and ordered an R10 today and another 300gig drive.. there's comfort in having something you're familiar with and like already..

oh well.. I can read about the R15 when it gets here

That's a smart move I think. Even if the R15 comes out and it ends up being the most amazing DVR ever, you can always Ebay your R10. I'll be really surprised if this is the case though.

Old 10-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #113 (Print)
Justin Thyme

Quote:
Most of the trick play was responsive (pause, rewind, stop, fast forward), although when going at higher speeds with rewind and fast forward when you hit pause it sometimes took about 10 seconds to stop which meant you were way past where you needed to be.
Did people here take this to mean that after stopping a high speed fast forward that there was a 10 second delay before it responded? An alternate meaning is that there was no such responsiveness problem, only that there was no Tivo overshoot correction. That is, he would overshoot by 10 seconds.

The former means that commercial skipping is annoying, unpleasant and tedious. The latter is something you can probably adjust for.

Also I am curious if the category search uses exactly the same categories as the D* Tivo. Is it Tribune Media data or someone else's?
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #114 (Print)
TomK

If all of this information is true, I certainly don't want an R15. Yuck!

Old 10-09-2005, 09:17 AM   #115 (Print)
montezuma58
War Eagle

The lack of buffering both tuners sucks. But I don't think the masses are going to give a crap. I've tried a couple of dozen times at least to show/explain this feature of the DirecTivo to my wife and it just never sinks in. If I'm watching delayed TV live she'll start flipping around and dump my buffer if I step away. Or she'll start complaining if I change channels when she watching something even though she won't loose anything.

My wife has no problem using the record and playback features. For those you can pretty much use them without much thought. Using the dual buffers on the Tivo requires some understanding of what is going on behind the scenes and a little bit of thought and planning to use. It's not rocket science but it's far beyond the capabilities of the average consumer who just wants to turn on the TV and punch in the channel number.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:42 AM   #116 (Print)
Kanyon71

Guess I just don't get the big deal. Wanna watch 2 shows? Record one and watch the other. Sorry outside of maybe some sports you can't watch and get into 2 completely different shows while flipping back and forth. So just tell it to record one of them and then watch the other when it's over go and watch the recorded show without having to think about flipping back to the previous one. Seems like a big complaint about something that really doesn't matter.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2005, 02:14 PM   #117 (Print)
HoTat2

Send a message via Yahoo to HoTat2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Guess I just don't get the big deal. Wanna watch 2 shows? Record one and watch the other. Sorry outside of maybe some sports you can't watch and get into 2 completely different shows while flipping back and forth. So just tell it to record one of them and then watch the other when it's over go and watch the recorded show without having to think about flipping back to the previous one. Seems like a big complaint about something that really doesn't matter.

True enough. In addition, for me at least, the lack of double live buffering on the R15 is no big deal at all since ironically I have planned from day one to use the R15 as a replacement for my lone UTV unit (want to rid the bill of the approx. $15.00/mo. charge. And it's two digital tuners operate in a similiar manner. That is when the alternate tuner is not in use it actually turns itself off after about a 5-10 min. change-over to the other tuner. The only way to double buffer live TV on the UTV is to use the PIP feature.

So in summary, let's just say that I'm quite used to this R15's method of operation on this issue.
HoTat2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #118 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerw134
Because I don't like it, and I want something better. I'm not loyal to Tivo like most people on this board are, I'm loyal to DirecTV.
I have been with DTV for 12 years next month and based upon my experience, DTV has gone down hill big time in the last two to three years. And based upon what I know about the new DTV DVR (to be released tomorrow), you maybe hugging your old TiVo very soon. I would not expect anything better, just worst. And yes, I have used TiVo for over 5 years now, and so far nothing else has really compared, and a lot of DVR companies have come and gone. Of course, I have hacked my DirecTiVos and my SA TiVo (in the first month, June 2000), so my boxes are not stock, but I have a feeling that the people in charge of DTV maybe in for the shock of their lifes. If it is what I expect it to be, when the word gets out, they may not be celebrating anytime soon.

Time will tell if I am right or wrong. And of course if I am wrong then that would be great for everyone. We always want things to improve.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 10-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #119 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTat2
So in summary, let's just say that I'm quite used to this R15's method of operation on this issue.
That's just plain sad! Microsoft should have been ran out of town. That's right, they where! The Ultimate DVR ended up being the ULTIMATE Disaster Video Recorder. The R15 could be the same thing, so I would wait to make a decision, and don't take this the wrong way, but your decision to buy the Ultimate DVR was a real disaster, so why do you think the DTV DVR is going to be any better, especially since it is based upon the dorky Sky DVR?

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 10-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #120 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
but then again a lot of bad decisions come from people in charge of large corporations.

And I make money from this very fact every day.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post