July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #121 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
but I have a feeling that the people in charge of DTV maybe in for the shock of their lifes. If it is what I expect it to be, when the word gets out, they may not be celebrating anytime soon.

I hope you are correct. If for no other reason so that they can learn that they need to listen to their customers every once in a while.

I will bet a large amount of cash that this decision was not customer driven.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #122 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma58
The lack of buffering both tuners sucks. But I don't think the masses are going to give a crap.
I agree, many consummers can not handle plugging in a VCR, and trying to explain a DVR is beyond the capability of most of them to understand and if you try to explain the advantages of double buffering to even most DVR users they just have no idea what you are talking about and can not understand the advantage it gives them. But Season Passes and Wishlists are a different story, so time will tell of the DTV DVR can handle what is necessary to function at the truly basic level. I will wait to make my decision, but based upon what information I currently have, I will purchase old HDVR2's at ebay if I have to, because a hacked DirecTiVo with MRV is without a doubt leading edge and offers the most bang for the buck, even if the R15 is FREE. If I can pick up an R15 for FREE without having to activate it for more than a single month, it would pick one up to strip it for the HD to use in a used HDVR2.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer

Last edited by tbeckner : 10-09-2005 at 05:44 PM.
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #123 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan
I will bet a large amount of cash that this decision was not customer driven.
I agree, it is not customer driven, corporations are driven by greed and power, and almost entirely they believe in the to hell with the customers.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 10-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #124 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
and almost entirely they believe in the to hell with the customers.

But in this case, customers for the most part have 2 other viable options in E* and cable. Now some stick with D* because of NFLST, but D* can't pay its bills with just ST subs. Customers can be very fickle and the littlest thing can make them switch to another provider.

So I hope D*'s sub growth grinds to a screaching halt with these new boxes.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #125 (Print)
DesignDawg

Quote:
That's just plain sad! Microsoft should have been ran out of town. That's right, they where! The Ultimate DVR ended up being the ULTIMATE Disaster Video Recorder. The R15 could be the same thing, so I would wait to make a decision, and don't take this the wrong way, but your decision to buy the Ultimate DVR was a real disaster, so why do you think the DTV DVR is going to be any better, especially since it is based upon the dorky Sky DVR?

WOW. What a moron. You have no idea what you're talking about. Your post was so devoid of any factual information or anything that even RESEMBLED reality, it's hardly worth commenting on....except to say "ignorance is bliss".

Ricky
DesignDawg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #126 (Print)
HoTat2

Send a message via Yahoo to HoTat2
Quote:
That's just plain sad! Microsoft should have been ran out of town. That's right, they where! The Ultimate DVR ended up being the ULTIMATE Disaster Video Recorder. The R15 could be the same thing, so I would wait to make a decision, and don't take this the wrong way, but your decision to buy the Ultimate DVR was a real disaster, so why do you think the DTV DVR is going to be any better, especially since it is based upon the dorky Sky DVR?

First of all I never said that R15 would be any "better" than UTV or TIVO for that matter. I just said that the non-inclusion of a live double buffering for the R15 is really a non-factor for my viewing habits. Unless I'm recording one show while wacthing another or recording two shows simultaneously, what the alternate tuner is doing is really irrelavent. You might as well deactivate it. If it is that indespensible for others to keep tabs on two shows at the same time as with two sporting events or something, then simply record the other channel, which in TIVO's case is almost a must for me because I consider it's paltry 30 min. live buffer to be practically unusable outside of small delays.

And lastly I totally disagree with your view that UTV was or is a "disaster". It is still working just fine and there are a number of it's convienences I do miss when using my DirecTIVO. Up to 2 1/2 hr. live buffer as well as recoding from it as well, picture in guide, ability to surf the EPG from a recorded show. Protection from accidental channel changes while on live delay, keyboard entry, and so forth. I'm simply looking for an adequate replacment for the $15 monthly fee for the one UTV box.

If their are any disasters to be had it was in the unfortunate situation of having "big money Micro$oft be the creator of "small change" (as with most of the DVR business comparatively speaking) UTV. Which means UTV got the ax due to it's meager profit contribution to the empire. Micro$oft will never "run" from anyone. If your not a profitable enterprise M$ will simply eliminate you as they did with UTV. I don't consider that as being "run out of town".
HoTat2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #127 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTat2
True enough. In addition, for me at least, the lack of double live buffering on the R15 is no big deal at all since ironically I have planned from day one to use the R15 as a replacement for my lone UTV unit (want to rid the bill of the approx. $15.00/mo. charge. And it's two digital tuners operate in a similiar manner. That is when the alternate tuner is not in use it actually turns itself off after about a 5-10 min. change-over to the other tuner. The only way to double buffer live TV on the UTV is to use the PIP feature.

So in summary, let's just say that I'm quite used to this R15's method of operation on this issue.

So, in other words, you're used to being provided less function from an antiquated machine and its okay that a new machine is going to provide service in the exact same manner since that is what you are used to?

Old 10-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #128 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTat2
And lastly I totally disagree with your view that UTV was or is a "disaster".

It was a disaster for Microsoft. It never came close to making them money. After owning two UTV's I can see why. While in some minor ways the UTV was technically superior to a DTivo, the user interface can, at best, be described as clunky.

Old 10-10-2005, 03:53 AM   #129 (Print)
obi1

I have been on Directv since 1994 and Tivo since 2001. Now have 4 Tivo's(1 HD) and all are hacked. If not for Tivo, I would probably be on Comcast Cable as I already pay them 60 dollars monthly for cable modem support(this includes basic cable which actually costs no more then cable modem by itself). Comcast has inked some type of deal with Tivo. I currently also run Hi Def Comcast via a card in my Mitz Tv. Do not run their DVR however. From what I have seen their Hi Def and Digital are the equal of Directv. So bottomlline for me is that Comcast is cheaper then Comcast plus Directv. No doubt if Comcast picks up Tivo and it is implemented well, that I will drop Directv. I think that Directv(and Tivo) have done a miserable job of marketing Tivo. 20 million Directv users and a pittance number of Tivo users. Tivo is the greatest breakthru to Tv since color and for the majority of Directv subscribers to be oblivious to it, it beyond incompetence in marketing, and also speaks volumes about the ignorance of the vast Tv watching wasteland of viewers. I have a neighbor who just bought a 7000 dollar plasma, run DirectV and no Tivo. I asked him why no Tivo. He replied "oh I have a VCR for recording programs, so I do not need it". This shows the problem of how moronic Tivo, Directv and the average viewer is. Panasonic was able to convince this idiot that he needed a 7000 dollar plasma, but Tivo/Directv cannot sell him a 100 dollar Tivo box. My personal opinion is that I would rather a 17 inch black and white with Tivo, then a 80 plasma without it.

Another point, with Comcast and not Directv I would not be stuck with those annoying 5 dollar monthly fees for TV support in additional rooms of my home. I currently am paying for 4 receivers beyond my Tivos(paying for 3 of them at 5 per month). I do have a lifetime subscribtion for Tivo charges. Incidently how will this be handled when and if Directv drops Tivo?

Obi1-------Four Tivo's(Sony T-60, Hughes, Rca, and HR10-250), Parasound C1, Parasound A51, Mitz 62825, Monitor Audio Gold speaker system, Velodyne 15 inch Sub, HD Heritage Softail Classic, and HD Vrod, 56 Chrysler 300 B, 71 Corvette, 1998 Yellow Labrador Retriever named OBI.
obi1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:02 AM   #130 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

It kills me how people keep making DVR's that have nearly all the features people want but not all of them. Even TiVO has a few improvements that could make it that much better.

Also, all the sub-standard DVR's out there do somewhat prove the point that it is not exactly easy to do one right.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:20 AM   #131 (Print)
Hersheytx

Quote:
Originally Posted by obi1
I have been on Directv since 1994 and Tivo since 2001. Now have 4 Tivo's(1 HD) and all are hacked. If not for Tivo, I would probably be on Comcast Cable as I already pay them 60 dollars monthly for cable modem support(this includes basic cable which actually costs no more then cable modem by itself). Comcast has inked some type of deal with Tivo. I currently also run Hi Def Comcast via a card in my Mitz Tv. Do not run their DVR however. From what I have seen their Hi Def and Digital are the equal of Directv. So bottomlline for me is that Comcast is cheaper then Comcast plus Directv. No doubt if Comcast picks up Tivo and it is implemented well, that I will drop Directv. I think that Directv(and Tivo) have done a miserable job of marketing Tivo. 20 million Directv users and a pittance number of Tivo users.

I believe Directv has only 14 million subscribers. No biggie though, the percentage of Tivo owners that have Directv is amazingly small.

The problem I have with Comcast is they are not service friendly. I dare you to try to call them tonight and ask for anything. Cable or internet. I will bet you are on hold for more then 15 minutes, and later they will schedule you for a time 7 days from Tuesday between 8am and 4 pm.
I know that in some areas of the country Comcast rocks. But I think its very few places. Mostly where the money is concentrated.
Now I live in a great area of Dallas. But Comcast in my area still insists on me having cable tv to get a good price on their internet connection. Guess what? I do not like to be bullied. I took my business to SBC and got DSL (1.5 Mps) for $26 per month.
Like yourself I have been with Directv since 94. Tivo since 99. I find myself giving Directv (even Mordock) room to grow. I know there may be some bumps, but I also know that Directv will not survive unless they give the best product for the money. There is just to much at stake with the advent of HD TV for Directv not to be the biggest HD provider in the U.S.
I will never believe Comcast (or any cable provider) will have the quality of SD picture that Directv has on there regular channels. I also feel that within 12 months Directv will have dozens of HD channels that Comcast will be drooling to provide....but can't.
Mark my words.....Directv will win the HD battle (with MPEG4) because they are leading the technology war. Comcast (and most cable operators) are always 2 steps behind. I do not think they will be on the same field in the future.
Hersheytx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 06:52 AM   #132 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersheytx
I believe Directv has only 14 million subscribers. No biggie though, the percentage of Tivo owners that have Directv is amazingly small...

I suspect you meant that the number of DirecTV subscribers that have TiVo is amazingly small.

Actually, the number is not, IMO, amazingly small in any view:

- About 50% of all TiVo owners are DirecTiVo owners.
- About 14% of all DirecTV receivers are DirecTV DVRs with TiVo
- About 13% of DirecTV subscribers own at least one DirecTiVo
- About 18% of all DirecTV subscribers own some kind of TiVo (standalone or hybrid)

For comparison, only about 12% of all Dish Network subscribers have an Echostar DVR, while about 10% use a standalone TiVo with an Echostar receiver.

The vanishingly small number is the number of TVs attached to ANY kind of DVR - only about 2.5%.

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 09:15 AM   #133 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Collins
I suspect you meant that the number of DirecTV subscribers that have TiVo is amazingly small.

Actually, the number is not, IMO, amazingly small in any view:

- About 50% of all TiVo owners are DirecTiVo owners.
- About 14% of all DirecTV receivers are DirecTV DVRs with TiVo
- About 13% of DirecTV subscribers own at least one DirecTiVo
- About 18% of all DirecTV subscribers own some kind of TiVo (standalone or hybrid)

For comparison, only about 12% of all Dish Network subscribers have an Echostar DVR, while about 10% use a standalone TiVo with an Echostar receiver.

The vanishingly small number is the number of TVs attached to ANY kind of DVR - only about 2.5%.

Um last I heard D* accounted for 2 Million Tivo subscriptions and out of 14 Million D* users thats a pretty small number.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #134 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Um last I heard D* accounted for 2 Million Tivo subscriptions and out of 14 Million D* users thats a pretty small number.

2 Million of 14 million, is 15%

That is a significant number of people... It is not the majority, but considering the "bulk" of this 2 Million is just in the last couple years... (Yes the box has been around for 5, but DTV didn't really push it until the HDVR2 came out, and this doesn't account for the most recent $100 rebate phase).

15% is nothing to sneeze at...

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #135 (Print)
montezuma58
War Eagle

Quote:
That may be small in your opinion but it's definitely not insignificant. Especially since D* considers those customers among their most loyal.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #136 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
It's more like nearly 15 million DirecTV subscribers, but I won't quibble over a few hundred thousand. This falls under the category in my previous post of....

"About 13% of DirecTV subscribers own at least one DirecTiVo"

So if we use your numbers...

About 14% of DirecTV subscribers own at least one DirecTiVo

14% is just about DirecTV's share of the total multi-channel provider market. So, if TiVo owners represent an insignificant portion of DirecTV's customers, then DirecTV represents an insignificant portion of the total subscription TV market.

Are you SURE that is what you mean to say?

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 10-10-2005, 09:55 AM   #137 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
...It is not the majority, but considering the "bulk" of this 2 Million is just in the last couple years...

Quite right...as recently as January, 2003 DirecTV accounted for about 650,000 TiVo subscriptions. So, for the first 36 months DirecTiVos existed, considerably less than 1 million were sold. In the past 24 months nearly 2 million DirecTiVos have been sold (while there are something like just over 2 million DirecTiVo subscribers, there are close to 3 million DirecTiVos in use, since under the DirecTV/TiVo agreement, multiple units only count as one TiVo subscription).

Edit: There was actually a major surge in DirecTiVo sales in late 2001, early 2002, when the price was cut to under $100 for a Series 1 DirecTiVo. About half of those 650,000 TiVo subscribers were sold during this period. By mid-2002 the Series 2 DirecTiVos were selling for $399 (MSRP) again, and sales tapered off. In 2003 the price came back down to around $100 net, and sales exploded once more. The recent rebates, cutting the net price to zero, will be reflected in the next quarterly report from TiVo.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Last edited by Dan Collins : 10-10-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:06 AM   #138 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
It's more like nearly 15 million DirecTV subscribers, but I won't quibble over a few hundred thousand. This falls under the category in my previous post of....

"About 13% of DirecTV subscribers own at least one DirecTiVo"

So if we use your numbers...

About 14% of DirecTV subscribers own at least one DirecTiVo

14% is just about DirecTV's share of the total multi-channel provider market. So, if TiVo owners represent an insignificant portion of DirecTV's customers, then DirecTV represents an insignificant portion of the total subscription TV market.

Are you SURE that is what you mean to say?

Actually seeing as their is supposed to be over 65 million cable subscribers yes D* is a rather small portion.

Now don't get me wrong, I do like Tivo and I do have 3 of them sitting in my house but people need to face the facts. No matter how much we all complain and moan it's not going to change the facts that this box IS coming out and bar some last minute miracle Tivo is on it's way out. I would prefer that D* redo it's contract with D* using the same numbers as Comcast is paying and sell both the NDS box and Tivo side by side and create some real competition to make both of these boxes better.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #139 (Print)
Brewer4

Lets see, 2 million x $5 monthly DVR charge x 12 months = 120 million. Take away the Tivo share of $1.13 per month x 2 milllion x 12 months = $27.1 million or $92.9 million net to Directv, thats not too shabby. If you can increase your subscribers by a few million by giving away the units for free, thats not a bad income source.
Brewer4 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 AM   #140 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Actually seeing as their is supposed to be over 65 million cable subscribers yes D* is a rather small portion.

Now don't get me wrong, I do like Tivo and I do have 3 of them sitting in my house but people need to face the facts. No matter how much we all complain and moan it's not going to change the facts that this box IS coming out and bar some last minute miracle Tivo is on it's way out. I would prefer that D* redo it's contract with D* using the same numbers as Comcast is paying and sell both the NDS box and Tivo side by side and create some real competition to make both of these boxes better.

Obviously, the DirecTV+ DVR will be released this month. No one, even the most ardent TiVo loyalist, would suggest otherwise.

However, characterizing TiVo's contribution to DirecTV as somehow insignificant is disingenuous. The DirecTiVo has been an important factor in the growth of DirecTV, and significant contributor to the turn-around in growth rates in the past 12 months.

It should be clearly understood that DirecTV's decision to de-emphasize TiVo in favor of a new NDS sourced DVR has little to nothing to do with TiVo's performance in the marketplace. It also has little to do with the relative merits of TiVo's technology versus NDS's. Further, it has little to do with the $1.13 per subscriber that DirecTV pays TiVo. It IS primarily motivated by several former NDS executives being in key decision making positions with DirecTV Group.

In other words, it is not based upon ANY rational business logic - it is based simply on the natural bias of a few executives towards products for which they were responsible.

Some here have drawn an analogy to "New Coke" - I think this is an especially apt comparison. Coca-Cola was, at the time of the introduction on New Coke, the market leader in the cola category (and several others as well). Pepsi was #2, but had never been able to mount a serious challenge to Coke's hegemony. For reasons still not entirely clear, some executives at Coca-Cola decided that the formulation for Coke was too "old" and needed updating. As everyone knows, "New Coke" was a disaster. Coke's market share fell, and Coca-Cola was forced to bring back "Coke Classic" - a designation still carried on the packaging, despite New Coke's demise several years later.

Not for one minute do I expect the DirecTV+ DVR to a disaster on the scale of New Coke. However, when such a fundamental shift is made in a company's product line without any clear business logic to support it, one has to wonder about the outcome.

The reality is that DirecTV was not "broken" at the time News Corp took it over. It was suffering from a lack of good marketing, and a managment team that was pre-occupied with selling the company. News Corp had been in pursuit of a US satellite outlet for so long, when it finally got one, it didn't quite know what to do. It has fiddled about with interactive services, tread water in HD offerings, and generally not done very much with the company. The one bright spot - the strength of the DVR business, is the one area they have decided to "fix."

So it goes. Perhaps this will all turn out well. However, if it does, it will because of dumb luck, not because of the brilliant business acumen of the News Corp team.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 10-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #141 (Print)
obi1

I certainly will not quibble on the D* total subscribers verses those who are also Tivo users. For 5 or 10 dollars monthly plus the cost of a Tivo box(I believe I paid 400 each for my original Sony T-60's in 1999 or 2000, and 500.00 for my HD unit after rebates)you gain a technology that is worth more to me then all the other components of my home theatre put together. This capability adds more to my enjoyment and usefulness of television then my Parasound audio equipment, my Mitz DLP, my DVD player, etc etc. And all this for a very insignificant percentage of my total investment in hardware and monthly billing fees. And with this, D* and Tivo do not have 100 percent of D* subscribers on Tivo. This is what I meant by suggesting this is a prime example of moronic marketing by these two companies.

I met with a high level Tivo executive at a Good Guys store(an X-California chain) some 5 years ago(they were onsite for some customer enlightenment on Tivo). I told him then that they were doing a poor job of promoting their product. He asked me what I would suggest(I spent 20 years in the marketing of IBM compatible mainframe operating system software). I suggested that they 1. Give every D* subscriber a free no strings attached Tivo box for 6 months. At the end of 6 months they charge the going rate for the hardware plus the monthly 10 dollar fee. If the customer did not wish to keep it, he could return it. At that time people were still paying up to 200 or more for a plain vanilla satellite receiver. How many users do you think would have returned the Tivo's? Yea, me too.

2. I suggested that they rent space in major shopping malls, install a few seats for audience and all day long provide demos to prospective customers. And then offer again 6 month trial periods.

I still believe if they could have gotten the momentum, that Tivo would now own this world.

How many of you all, would turn in your Tivo for let us say 2000.00 cash? And of course be precluded from using some other DVR type service for say 5 years. I would not, I rather turn in my DLP monitor and go back to a 23 inch black and white set. I suspect that most would not take the 2 grand. Again miserable crummy marketing, not a technology failure, is what has done Tivo in. IMHO.

In my life, very few technologies have delivered on all what they promised to make my electronic lifestyle more pleasurable. I think Tivo is one that has. Certainly not D*, not Comcast, not cell phones, not Hi Def etc.

Obi1-------Four Tivo's(Sony T-60, Hughes, Rca, and HR10-250), Parasound C1, Parasound A51, Mitz 62825, Monitor Audio Gold speaker system, Velodyne 15 inch Sub, HD Heritage Softail Classic, and HD Vrod, 56 Chrysler 300 B, 71 Corvette, 1998 Yellow Labrador Retriever named OBI.
obi1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #142 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
Obviously, the DirecTV+ DVR will be released this month. No one, even the most ardent TiVo loyalist, would suggest otherwise.

However, characterizing TiVo's contribution to DirecTV as somehow insignificant is disingenuous. The DirecTiVo has been an important factor in the growth of DirecTV, and significant contributor to the turn-around in growth rates in the past 12 months.

It should be clearly understood that DirecTV's decision to de-emphasize TiVo in favor of a new NDS sourced DVR has little to nothing to do with TiVo's performance in the marketplace. It also has little to do with the relative merits of TiVo's technology versus NDS's. Further, it has little to do with the $1.13 per subscriber that DirecTV pays TiVo. It IS primarily motivated by several former NDS executives being in key decision making positions with DirecTV Group.

In other words, it is not based upon ANY rational business logic - it is based simply on the natural bias of a few executives towards products for which they were responsible.

Some here have drawn an analogy to "New Coke" - I think this is an especially apt comparison. Coca-Cola was, at the time of the introduction on New Coke, the market leader in the cola category (and several others as well). Pepsi was #2, but had never been able to mount a serious challenge to Coke's hegemony. For reasons still not entirely clear, some executives at Coca-Cola decided that the formulation for Coke was too "old" and needed updating. As everyone knows, "New Coke" was a disaster. Coke's market share fell, and Coca-Cola was forced to bring back "Coke Classic" - a designation still carried on the packaging, despite New Coke's demise several years later.

Not for one minute do I expect the DirecTV+ DVR to a disaster on the scale of New Coke. However, when such a fundamental shift is made in a company's product line without any clear business logic to support it, one has to wonder about the outcome.

The reality is that DirecTV was not "broken" at the time News Corp took it over. It was suffering from a lack of good marketing, and a managment team that was pre-occupied with selling the company. News Corp had been in pursuit of a US satellite outlet for so long, when it finally got one, it didn't quite know what to do. It has fiddled about with interactive services, tread water in HD offerings, and generally not done very much with the company. The one bright spot - the strength of the DVR business, is the one area they have decided to "fix."

So it goes. Perhaps this will all turn out well. However, if it does, it will because of dumb luck, not because of the brilliant business acumen of the News Corp team.

Oh I don't doubt that this decision was driven more by ego then common sense. I still hope that come 2007 there will be a new deal cut that works for both companies, and better products come out of it. I for one will still have my Tivo's sitting in my house being used just as they are right now with the R15 sitting there playing along. I like some features that my Tivo's have and always have which is why I own 3 and have bought them as gift's for family members. On the flip side I don't like some of the decisions they have made either and have had issues with Tivo doing it's core job of recording shows more then a few times. Doesn't change my views on either product and I think people need to get over the nit picking mud flinging thats going on and see how the new product ACTUALLY does once it's shipped. If it sucks I will have NO issues sending it back and telling D* I think it's garbage, just as I had NO issues talking to Tivo about some problems I had.

Who knows this could all work out in the end, regardless of Tivo working with Comcast or any other Cable provider I will never go back to cable as it's horrible in my area and always has been. So if the NDS product turns out to be garbage then I will still just keep using a SA Tivo and paying the same fee's I am MORE then willing and have been willing to pay Tivo. You all want to help Tivo so much go buy 2 SA's and hook them up to 2 Sat receivers and pay ALL of your Tivo money directly to Tivo, you get 2 buffers, networking out of the box, TivoToGo out of the box and all the other goodies. I realize the HD people can't do that.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #143 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
You all want to help Tivo so much go buy 2 SA's and hook them up to 2 Sat receivers and pay ALL of your Tivo money directly to Tivo, you get 2 buffers, networking out of the box, TivoToGo out of the box and all the other goodies. I realize the HD people can't do that.
That is a great idea, since my Three DirecTiVos are hacked for MRV, I should be able to install a SA TiVo and transfer my shows to it and use TiVo to Go to legally download them and burn them if I like. This is a great idea, and I can even buy the smallest SA TiVo. It also gives me far more options for the future, like TiVo VOD and transfers throughout the house.

Of course, I should ask if anyone has done this before. My current five and half year old hacked SA TiVo, a SONY SVR-2000, does not have network support, but it is nearing it's useful lifespan, so a replacement is likely anyway.

Thanks so very much for the idea.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 10-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #144 (Print)
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssdbs
Still don't see why there is even a discussion of this R15. It is not a DirecTV with TiVo receiver. This site is called "TiVo Community" for a reason.

In about a year, there won't be a "TiVo Community - DirecTV with TiVo receiver" forum.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:57 PM   #145 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
That is a great idea, since my Three DirecTiVos are hacked for MRV, I should be able to install a SA TiVo and transfer my shows to it and use TiVo to Go to legally download them and burn them if I like. This is a great idea, and I can even buy the smallest SA TiVo. It also gives me far more options for the future, like TiVo VOD and transfers throughout the house.

Of course, I should ask if anyone has done this before. My current five and half year old hacked SA TiVo, a SONY SVR-2000, does not have network support, but it is nearing it's useful lifespan, so a replacement is likely anyway.

Thanks so very much for the idea.

No problem, I love my SA Tivo's and seeing as the newest software fixed many of the issues I had, I will have them till the day they die and are no longer of any use to anyone.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:25 PM   #146 (Print)
bgtimber75

I rarely have room on the TiVo to record a 3 hour football game and a 4 hour Nascar race at the same time. 2 buffers is essential to me now. I'm not really happy with the Directivo but it sounds better then this new R15. I'll pass
bgtimber75 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #147 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon23
In about a year, there won't be a "TiVo Community - DirecTV with TiVo receiver" forum.
What gives you that idea? There are 2+ million DirecTiVos and ZERO R15's. And it took DirecTV almost four years to reach 2+ million DirecTiVos. And based upon what I have read in the past about the Sky DVR (which is what the DTV DVR is based), including a review of the Sky DVR manual and the new R15 manual and information from beta testers. The R15 will likely take a very long time to even come close to the DirecTiVo in any sizable numbers. My best guess is that it will take it almost 6 years and that will only happen if it works.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #148 (Print)
jmoak

I sure miss CrazyFred.
jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #149 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
What gives you that idea? There are 2+ million DirecTiVos and ZERO R15's. And it took DirecTV almost four years to reach 2+ million DirecTiVos. And based upon what I have read in the past about the Sky DVR (which is what the DTV DVR is based), including a review of the Sky DVR manual and the new R15 manual and information from beta testers. The R15 will likely take a very long time to even come close to the DirecTiVo in any sizable numbers. My best guess is that it will take it almost 6 years and that will only happen if it works.

Actually I doubt that it will take that long to surpass the number of Tivo's BUT and this is a huge but this won't be based on it's a better DVR, I think they will just start to make it VERY attractive for every user to pick up a DVR. This is will pad the number of "users" they have using their DVR vs any other.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:43 PM   #150 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
It was a disaster for Microsoft. It never came close to making them money. After owning two UTV's I can see why. While in some minor ways the UTV was technically superior to a DTivo, the user interface can, at best, be described as clunky.
UI experience is clearly subjective. I can't stand the TiVo interface, with its multiple levels of menus, as well as having to go into different menus just to get some simple answers. IMO, the UTV interface was elegant, easy, informative, and above all - FAST. Even simple feedback, like looking at the guide and knowing whether I have something set to record, isn't there on TiVo. With UTV, I could look at the guide, know if I have a show set to record, whether it was a one-time or series record, all while watching my show in a small window.

And UTV, though not a money maker for MS, was not a disaster for them. They didn't have their very existence riding on the success or failure of UTV. OTOH, TiVo lives and dies buy its DVR technology, and from what I recall, haven't had the rosiest financial picture.