July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #121 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Hmm... More anagram work:

"Alavar Hanso" can be rearranged to "Svaha LORAN". LORAN is a radio transmitter based navigation system from WWII. Svaha is a Sanskrit word used in Hinduism and Buddhism which can be translated as "I prostrate myself". It's interesting that the word Namaste can be found on the Hanso Foundation website on the dead end project pages and it is a Sanskrit word which can be translated as "I humbly bow to you".
Fool Me Twice is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #122 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr
Domain ID106939446-LROR
Domain Name:THEHANSOFOUNDATION.ORG
Created On:18-Jul-2005 19:25:55 UTC
Last Updated On:17-Sep-2005 04:05:12 UTC

[snip]
The ubiquitous "terms of service" link at the bottom of every page also verifies that it's an ABC affiliated website. (Also the fact that it features a character and plot lines from LOST.)
Old 10-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #123 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Nothing else interesting on the Hanso Foundation website, but the HTML tag "revisit after" is set to "two days", so maybe they'll change the content soon.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:52 PM   #124 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

[Sorry about the multiple posts...]

More support for the theory that "Station 3" is not the only station on the island: "Station 3" is also known as "The Swan". We saw another logo with a shark, so we can presume that there is another station known as "The Shark" and that it is nearby.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:04 AM   #125 (Print)
Chandler Mike
Lost

Send a message via ICQ to Chandler Mike Send a message via AIM to Chandler Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice
[Sorry about the multiple posts...]

More support for the theory that "Station 3" is not the only station on the island: "Station 3" is also known as "The Swan". We saw another logo with a shark, so we can presume that there is another station known as "The Shark" and that it is nearby.

Darn you, I was just coming to post about that, lol...

Yeah, agreed...logos were different, so the shark is part of a different section.

Maybe now we know where the power cord was headed to??? The underwater section???

Mike
Chandler Mike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 AM   #126 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

So, polar bears were used in Dharma Initiative zoology experiments. That's a reason for the bear to be on the island without Walt conjuring it.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:44 AM   #127 (Print)
Barmat

Did anyone notice in the orientation film one of the projects showed 2 polar bears fighting. Kind of explains the lost group running into a polar bear on a tropical island.

Man. you beat me to the punch
Barmat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 12:48 AM   #128 (Print)
spikedavis

I loved the parrallels between Locke's obsession with the hatch and the gate of his father's house.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:50 AM   #129 (Print)
DLiquid
MPC User

Quote:
So, polar bears were used in Dharma Initiative zoology experiments. That's a reason for the bear to be on the island without Walt conjuring it.
Hey, I was just about to say that. Although you could argue Walt conjured all of this, including the "Orientation" film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
Let's not argue about the realism of Sayid fixing the computer.
Well, since you brought it up , once he said that Desmond had replaced the motherboard I was willing to give it a pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWINE
Two thoughts about the film. I laughed when Locke wanted to watch it a second time. While Jack was unwilling, I got the idea that maybe the writters were making a little fun of many of us who are eager to watch the episodes a second or third time.
Right as the film ended, I paused and said out loud, "I'm going to have to watch this episode a few more times," so it was hilarious that Locke said that right after I pressed play.

Overall, I felt a bit let down by this episode. The "Orientation" film was anti-climactic for me. And man all of us have been guessing things a little too well. I watched with someone who doesn't read these boards, and I knew so much it almost felt like I had already seen the episode. The only shocker for me came in the preview for next week, and you know what that was if you watched it. Not a bad episode, just not one of my favorites.

Still I have no doubt this thread will be a fun ride with a lot more crazy brainstorming.
DLiquid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 12:54 AM   #130 (Print)
spikedavis

I gotta say I really liked Desmond. Too bad he's not sticking around.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:00 AM   #131 (Print)
reddice

Desmond will most likely be back. So Anna is a trador. Since she is a regular cast member I wonder how they are going to work her into future episodes and flashbacks. I was on the edge of my seat wondering if Jack was going to push the button. I was expecting Hurley to just push it and then everyone getting mad at him for doing it.

Watching the crudy video about the Hatch did not explain much. I noticed that right when the host was going to say why the numbers have to be inputed every 108 minutes it got cut out like someone cut and retaped the film and edited out that part. Anyway it was a good episode.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:04 AM   #132 (Print)
spikedavis

by the way-can we talk about the preview for next week in this thread? That last scene had my jaw dropped. Totally didn't see that coming. But I see a connection between that and the guy in the video.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:05 AM   #133 (Print)
tivotvaddict
Creatively Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba62
Does Jack realize that those are Hurley's numbers? I doubt it.

The numbers are crystal clear to us, Hurley, Desmond, the French Woman, but no one else on the island.

Hurley told Charlie about winning the lottery, but Charlie laughed, refusing to believe it. I don't know if he mentioned the numbers in that episode or not.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:06 AM   #134 (Print)
DLiquid
MPC User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedavis
by the way-can we talk about the preview for next week in this thread? That last scene had my jaw dropped. Totally didn't see that coming. But I see a connection between that and the guy in the video.
Just put preview talk in spoiler tags. ["spoiler"]We are the survivors.["/spoiler"] without the quotes.
DLiquid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 01:10 AM   #135 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Hurley told Jack about the numbers, where he got them, that he used them as lottery numbers, that he thought they were bad luck, that they are printed on the hatch, etc.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:18 AM   #136 (Print)
JMikeD
Professional Skeptic

From the preview for next week:

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)
Was it my imagination, or was Jin speaking much better English in the preview ("Everything is going to change.") than he has up to now? Has he been hiding something also?
JMikeD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 01:21 AM   #137 (Print)
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Last post of the night (...must...sleep...): The photograph of the couple that Jack looked at in the hatch: Did the woman look like Karen Degroot (the woman in the orientation film) and/or the woman throwing the firebomb at the raft (the eyes look similar)? Anyone recognize the skyline in the photo? Anyone have screencaps of Degroot and the woman in the photo?

(And why is Desmond so darn interested in Sarah?)
Old 10-06-2005, 01:22 AM   #138 (Print)
Cboath
Lurker Supreme

Anyone (hefe?) have any HD screen caps of the photo in the hatch Jack looked at? Only got crappy SD here and I couldn't tell, was that Sarah in the pic? Or maybe Shannon, and Des was one of the guys Boone "rescued" her from?

Old 10-06-2005, 01:23 AM   #139 (Print)
justapixel

I'm not good at finding these clues like you others, but there was also a book that they also focused on, called "egg workout." Remember we saw Desmond eating raw eggs at the beginning of last weeks show. I'm sure many of you will find significance in that.

I did NOT get the polar bear, shark correlation with the film, but I bet you are right. There are other stations on the island. Perhaps the "shark" station is on that boat, and that is where Walt is. Maybe the others are just the other stations, and the people have gone nuts over time, like I would if I had to push a button every 108 minutes.

I too, LOL'd at the "watch that again" reference. A clear nod to the fans.

Preview of next week discussion:

I am stunned at Jin's English!!! Who is he? His back story seemed so real, how does perfect English fit into it! That is the biggest surprise of the season for me. When I heard him speak, I accidentially deleted the show, I was so surprised.

Ann Gets Fit
justapixel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 01:23 AM   #140 (Print)
spikedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD
From the preview for next week:

Was it my imagination, or was Jin speaking much better English in the preview ("Everything is going to change.") than he has up to now? Has he been hiding something also?

That's what I was thinking too. Maybe the company he works for is involved in the experiment. He's definetely been holding out. What the hell??

Old 10-06-2005, 01:27 AM   #141 (Print)
ElJay

Interesting episode, but I was disappointed that somebody couldn't make a real 16mm film and then drag it across the sidewalk. For a show of this caliber, relying on lame looking digital effects to age the orientation film was disappointing.
ElJay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 01:52 AM   #142 (Print)
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboath
Anyone (hefe?) have any HD screen caps of the photo in the hatch Jack looked at? Only got crappy SD here and I couldn't tell, was that Sarah in the pic? Or maybe Shannon, and Des was one of the guys Boone "rescued" her from?

Lost-Media.com has its usual HD screen grabs up...

Is this what you're looking for? http://lost-media.com/modules/coppe...tion-cap321.jpg

It doesn't look like anyone we've seen before.

I don't recognize the city's skyline either, although, the buildings in the upper right look like they could be the buildings in this picture (which are in Honolulu): http://www.positive-inside.de/Fotog...mmerung-800.jpg

Old 10-06-2005, 01:59 AM   #143 (Print)
zobetron
Rebel Scum

Didn't the Korean's speak english in their back stories? Maybe the clip is just a instance of more of his back story.
zobetron is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:08 AM   #144 (Print)
Peter000
Unregistered User

Send a message via AIM to Peter000
I'm wondering if the "We need to watch this again" comment from Locke was not only a nod to the fans, but a message to the fans that there are more clues in it than meet the eye. Also, that was orientation film #3 of 6. For station #3 of 5. The film didn't state that all of the stations were on that island, did it? Anyone think we'll see any of the other Orientation videos?

Anyone else feeling like this is just a big non-interactive video game. ala MYST? It's good and all, but I get the feeling that all we're watching it for are the clues.

Also, what was the name of the guy that Hurly tracked down who supposedly had information about the numbers? And what was the name of the guy in the institution who kept repeating the numbers all the time?

As to next week's previews...
I think the english speaking Jin is during a dream sequence of some sort. That's how the voice sounded to me, and the picture of him had sort of a "soft focus" to it, if I remember correctly.
Peter000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 AM   #145 (Print)
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobetron
Didn't the Korean's speak english in their back stories? Maybe the clip is just a instance of more of his back story.

No, subtitled Korean.

In Sayid's first flashback, they started speaking in another language and switched to English for the rest, but the Koreans were all in Korean, which is why Jin's unaccented English was so surprising.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:31 AM   #146 (Print)
Ruth
Hi.

Well, I watched the film again.

There were several places where it looked like portions of the film had been removed -- the splicing was poor. One was mentioned above -- when it looked like he was about to say why one must press the button. But there were 3 or 4 more. Age effects? Or someone wanted to cut parts of it out . . .?

One of the fields of study they were incorporating into the Dharma project was parapsychology (ESP and whatnot). That opens up the supernatural angle quite a bit -- and it must also relate to Walt somehow. Maybe the island gives some people paranormal powers? And Walt is one of them, so they want to contain him? Or study him?

I also thought it was illogical for Jack to fight pressing the button. He's appointed himself leader of a whole group of people. The status quo is safe, and there's a known risk (how big a risk, who knows) from not carrying on with it. Of course you would press the button, for now, until you had more information. And at this point, if I'm Jack, I'd expect to find more information. There's an orientation video, for crying out loud -- maybe there's a manual lying around, too. Why risk screwing everything up before you even look for it?

I like the Locke episodes a lot, Terry O'Quinn is great.

Is there any doubt that this is the best show on TV right now?
Ruth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:54 AM   #147 (Print)
dba62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivotvaddict
Hurley told Charlie about winning the lottery, but Charlie laughed, refusing to believe it. I don't know if he mentioned the numbers in that episode or not.

Even if he did, there is zero chance that a heroin addict remembered the numbers. Who would waste the mental energy if they didn't believe the story in the first place.
dba62 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 05:55 AM   #148 (Print)
dba62

Quote:
Hurley told Jack about the numbers, where he got them, that he used them as lottery numbers, that he thought they were bad luck, that they are printed on the hatch, etc.

It doesn't mean that he would bother to remember them.
dba62 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 06:14 AM   #149 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

So I'm assuming that whatever happens to Locke to make him lose his legs also makes him lose Helen, hence the surrogate (not SuperDave) on the phone.

I'm thinking that the guy with the beard on the boat that kidnapped Walt is the guy from the video who started the project. Either that, or the husband and wife are Adam and Eve from the caves.

So was Danielle's research ship part of Dharma or a separate mission that just happened to find the island.

I also think that Adebisi (the guy who threw them in the hatch) is Rose's husband.

Old 10-06-2005, 06:31 AM   #150 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
What is the Hanso Corporation?

I hear they make a good sword.

Interesting episode. I kept thinking about the expirements (I assume they were real) where they take monkeys and spray them with water whenever they try to get a reward. THen one by one, they switch out monkeys with new ones and the old monkeys beat the new one each time they try for a reward since they used to get sprayed. Eventually you can have all new monkeys and they still beat each other.

Everyone is doing things just because they have been done that way before.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post