Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #61 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

They can take my Directivo when they pry it from my cold dead hands! Tee Hee! Or when I am so old staying awake all day and wondering where i am all the time and who you all are. I am not getting the r15 It has no allure for me. I hope this thing is so buggy that they are swamped with tech support over it and the only recourse is to go crawling back to tivo and tivo stipulates that they will sign again but ONLY if directv aggrees to keep the software up to date with the S/A. Oh but what a wonderful dream!

That sounds like a good Idea we will do what lucy did to the new club owner to get Ricky back. We can all buy R15's call every 5 minutes with questions and complaints and say I want to return it and get a tivo. Cmon guys remember all 2.5 million of us gotta do dis.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:35 PM   #62 (Print)
Squonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
Its all about speed baby. 30 sec. skip and 7 sec. rewind is much faster than using the FF key. I despise FF. Sometimes I have to try three times to get it to stop where I want it to.

Uhh, have you ever tried just hitting the pause button while ff? It will stop exactly where you want it to.
Squonk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #63 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squonk
Uhh, have you ever tried just hitting the pause button while ff? It will stop exactly where you want it to.

That works but you have to understand, you get used to doing it this way for years and years its hard for some folks to do it a different way. I never thought i would get used to the tivo after using my replay which skips the commercials completely but now i 30 skip and sold my replay. Pq difference and 1 tuner. It is not the lack of 30 that is pulling me from the R15 It is a slowly building mountain of differeces that dont out shine the stuff the r15 has over tivo. I have no use for caller id ,or the space remaining indicator and the 100 hours dont impress me much. and i still have not heard if the thing has folders. JEEEZZZ I waited for forever for those Happy little folders! If the r15 had everything the tivo has and the CID space indicator and 100 hours it would be a lock for me.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #64 (Print)
Guindalf
Master Of My Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob Boy
If the r15 had everything the tivo has and the CID space indicator and 100 hours it would be a lock for me.

Yeah, but you STILL can't pause both tuners and switch between them!!

NE Georgia Motorcycling? Visit foothillsmc.com
Guindalf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM   #65 (Print)
SpacemanSpiff

Going back to my post regarding an effective ad campaign.

Back before all the other DVR's started coming out, TiVo should have started a "TiVo Inside" campaign. Make it that much harder for the competitors to come in with their DVR and compete if everyone wants a TiVo.
SpacemanSpiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:38 PM   #66 (Print)
serumgard

Just saw one of the commercials on ESPN. "Finally, you can have a DVR that allows you to pause live TV." Wow! I'm sellin' my TiVo today.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #67 (Print)
Moving Target

I just can't understand how you guys can have so many threads bashing something you have not used.
Moving Target is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #68 (Print)
SpacemanSpiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target
I just can't understand how you guys can have so many threads bashing something you have not used.

Never underestimate the power of the internet.
SpacemanSpiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 08:50 PM   #69 (Print)
Markman07
Directv Tivo + Moxi

Send a message via MSN to Markman07 Send a message via Yahoo to Markman07
I saw the commercial tonight during 1st quarter of Monday Night Football.

* 1 R10 (Stock)
* 1 Hughes SVR40 - Zippered
* 1 Philips DSR7000 - Zipered
* 1 Series 1 Philips DSR6000
Markman07 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 11:03 PM   #70 (Print)
Justin Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target
The manual says it black screens when you start recording on that tuner.
The manual says that you have a buffer only on one of the tuners...

Please point me to the part in the manual that tells me how I can network the DVRs- so that I can get the HMO features that DirecTv has the software for but never released for DirecTv Tivos, but that people can mod their Tivos to support.

There are plenty of devices I have never used that I have read the manual on and found that it did not meet my needs. Perhaps you recommend buying something first before making such a decision.

No thanks.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 11:17 PM   #71 (Print)
bguppies

Seen the ad with the kid asking Dad to stop watching football.
4 times since 7PM tonight....
Definitely looks like they plan to saturate sports programming. (hate to think how many times I'll see it this weekend while flipping on the Sunday Ticket.)

Bill
bguppies is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 11:37 PM   #72 (Print)
DesignDawg

You guys are hilarious. Dismissing a thing you've never seen based on manual you KNOW were early incomplete drafts, people who make up "specs" on the fly, and pure unadulterated speculation. "I wouldn't buy an R15 in a million years, because it's going to default to cancelling the second show I scheduled when trying to resolve a conflict!" I won't buy one because if you leave it paused for too long, it's going to turn off and erase all your shows and email a letter to everyone telling them I'm a child molester. Dan Collins says so!" "Yeah. I won't buy one because they aren't going to include a pause button because the movie execs think you shouldn't be able to see still frames of special effects shots. Hooray Hollywood!"

And you will all lambaste the new commercials 'till the cows come home, because, frankly, at this point, ANYTHING D* does that doesn't involve washing the feet of TiVo and giving you all free DVRs and lifetime service with HMO and TTG is EVIL. But you know damn well, if the EXACT SAME commercials were running, advertising TIVO, you would all be applauding them for such a witty, thoughtful, innovative company they are. "Oh, what a great jingle. It's been in my head all day..." "Man, I'm gonna get another TiVo now. I already have 18, but that commercial just made me order another one" "Hey! I'm gonna call D* customer retention and tell them I'm leaving unless they send me a TiVo **** that I can suck while I watch TiVo'd TiVo commercials over and over. My thumb is pruning."

Ahhhh.... All done. You guys... Seriously. Lighten up. It's a damn DVR. Nobody's gonna take your precious TiVos away. The R15 is not going to sneak into your house and eat all your cookies or have sex with your daughter, no matter how many times Dan Collins tells you the Sky+ DVRs do that very thing. It's just business.

Ricky
DesignDawg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #73 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies
Seen the ad with the kid asking Dad to stop watching football.
4 times since 7PM tonight....
Definitely looks like they plan to saturate sports programming. (hate to think how many times I'll see it this weekend while flipping on the Sunday Ticket.)

Bill
Although, 30 second skip (only on TiVo and as far as anyone knows not on the DTV DVR) is the only way to watch football. So go figure, why would they promote it during a football game? If I was asked by a friend or almost anyone, and especially if they watched football, I would not and could not recommend the DTV DVR.

This evening I got around to watching Monday Night Football at 7:36PM PDT and I caught up with Live TV around 8:30PM PDT with 4 minutes to go in the third quarter, even with a dozen slow motion and frame advance replays and some very weird plays and fouls, which I re-watched and shook my head in shock.

Usually I can watch 3 to 3 1/2 hours of footbal in an hour to an hour and a half, but tonight it has been different, this was without a doubt a crazy game. But still again, I would rather spent an hour to and an hour and a half and watch plays in super slow motion (network slow mo with TiVo slow mo) and frame advance those plays that leave everyone else scratching their head, and still save around two hours that I can spend doing something else.

In the five and a half years that I have had TiVo, I have learned to not be a SLAVE to the TV, both in time management and content. And 30 second skip gives me more time to do other things in my life than FF ever did.

Thank You TiVo.

Just think, in the first year I had TiVo I told others what a change it would make in their lives, but most did not understand, but now as those same people either get introduced to a DVR or actually purchase a DVR, they all start to see the same thing I did in early 2000. I actually believe the reason most people do not use 30 second skip is that it is an acquired taste, and once acquired FF just does not compare.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #74 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignDawg
The R15 is not going to sneak into your house and eat all your cookies or have sex with your daughter, no matter how many times Dan Collins tells you the Sky+ DVRs do that very thing.
Hey Ricky, I saw a DTV DVR sneak into my neighbors house and sneak off with his TV. And at the same time leaving a trail of crumbs. So there!! See!!

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #75 (Print)
Shredfest

Quote:
Ahhhh.... All done. You guys... Seriously. Lighten up. It's a damn DVR. Nobody's gonna take your precious TiVos away. The R15 is not going to sneak into your house and eat all your cookies or have sex with your daughter, no matter how many times Dan Collins tells you the Sky+ DVRs do that very thing. It's just business.

Begone, blasphemer! This is the TiVo Community Forum - if you can't figure out where that means your loyalty should lie, then post somewhere else!

Seriously, though, it's going to take a lot more than what the R15 offers to get the TiVo loyalist to switch. Taking features away (dual buffers) is definitely not the way to go. D* better make the HMC kick major ass if they expect the hardcore DVR users to switch to it (and really, who else do you think the HMC is targeted to?)

Expert Satellite Affiliate Code ref9605
Shredfest is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #76 (Print)
DesignDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredfest
Begone, blasphemer! This is the TiVo Community Forum - if you can't figure out where that means your loyalty should lie, then post somewhere else!

Seriously, though, it's going to take a lot more than what the R15 offers to get the TiVo loyalist to switch. Taking features away (dual buffers) is definitely not the way to go. D* better make the HMC kick major ass if they expect the hardcore DVR users to switch to it (and really, who else do you think the HMC is targeted to?)

THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SWITCH. They already have you. They don't care. They aren't spending $30M to get the people on this board to SWITCH! They are doing it to get NEW customers! Of course, you can't speak for all TiVo owners, and there WILL be a significant number who switch. Just ask your friendly dealer. But that's just a bonus. Who is HMC targeted to? Competition. As long as someone is developing it, everyone else has to follow suit or risk being left behind. DTV isn't marketing ANYTHING to you. You are firmly in their clutches. Why would they want you to switch? So they can get that $99 from you? NOPE. They're going to give it right back to you. You've missed the point.

Ricky
DesignDawg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #77 (Print)
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
I'm curious when DirecTV's web site will change to talk about their DVR. Currently, the "DIRECTV DVR" pages still show the peanut remote and occasionally refer to TiVo.
It's going to be interesting to see how they handle channel 201... right now, they have stuff that helps you use your "DirecTV Receiver with Tivo", but will they have help for both the R15 and the Tivo-based DVRs? I think I know the answer to that one... anything "Tivo" will get the heave-ho and they'll just leave the users to think the only DirecTV compatible DVR is the R15.
goony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #78 (Print)
kenmac999

D* has the rebate form available from their website. Just type /dvrrebate after their web address
kenmac999 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 02:25 AM   #79 (Print)
SecureTalk

Send a message via AIM to SecureTalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac999
D* has the rebate form available from their website. Just type /dvrrebate after their web address

The rebate is for $99 plus a free DVD player and 3 standard DirecTV receivers. Wonder if the DVD player is any good.
SecureTalk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 05:25 AM   #80 (Print)
bguppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
Although, 30 second skip (only on TiVo and as far as anyone knows not on the DTV DVR) is the only way to watch football. So go figure, why would they promote it during a football game? If I was asked by a friend or almost anyone, and especially if they watched football, I would not and could not recommend the DTV DVR.

I actually believe the reason most people do not use 30 second skip is that it is an acquired taste, and once acquired FF just does not compare.

I watch the Sunday Ticket LIVE every Sunday. (sports are the ONLY thing I watch live after getting my DTIVOs.)

I tried the 30 second skip feature and found it to be pretty useless to me.
I found regular FF-ing to be just as quick and accurate in my book.
I tried it for about a week and just couldn't see what the fuss was about from the handfull of regulars on this board who are always praising that feature and deactivated it on the TIVO I was trying it on.

The only "rumored problem" with the new R-15 that I would have a problem with, would be the inability to pause one tuner while watching another.

There is no way a MINOR feature like the 30 second skip would be a buying issue for me on a new DVR.

Bill
bguppies is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 07:11 AM   #81 (Print)
DTivoFan

DirecTV Plus or DirecTV DVR?

I just saw the new commercial. I noticed that they refer to the R15 as the DirecTV DVR, and when they show a close-up of the front of the box, the DirecTV logo doesn't have "Plus" next to it, like it does in the picture on BestBuy.com.

I wonder if they have decided to drop the name DirecTV Plus.
DTivoFan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #82 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
You guys are hilarious. Dismissing a thing you've never seen based on manual you KNOW were early incomplete drafts, people who make up "specs" on the fly, and pure unadulterated speculation.

Ricky

I Probably wont buy an r15 but Its not totaly dead. I will wait to see the reviews of the real users not the second hand knowledge of the beta users. I always like to use new tech but I also dont like wasting my time if it truly is not NEW. If the manual is wrong and there are featurs that are NEW and GOOD. And the features that are lost are not a serious thing to me I will give it a try. I am hearing what is being said but not listening just yet. All i am saying IMHO is that the Billy bob boy scale of R15 on one side and Dtivo on the other now is slightly tipped twords Tivo. My scale can go either way once i read a review FTRW(From The Real World).

Btw I stressed NEW and GOOD for a reason.. Caller Id is not new. Space remaing is not new. 100 hrs is not new. Its almost like they scoured the industry and found non patened features from other dvrs to put in there dvrs. How about a totaly new Dvr concept to try and grab the world. But It seems directv just wants to stay BARELY up to snuff with the rest of the Entertainment brodcast industry. IMHO again they only want to KEEP UP with the tech of Comcast dish ect. They dont want to exell and offer a better dvr. (which they had with tivo) They could have had the greatest dvr in the world If they would have kept up with the S/A tivo. Can you imagine how incredible a directivo with version 7 would be. D* Doesnt want to be incredible just the same apparently as everyone else and squeek buy with some new subs. OH WELL!! Thats life

Old 10-11-2005, 08:25 AM   #83 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredfest

I am loyal to Directv. I will be getting a R15, tivo looks to cartoonish.
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #84 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
I know you're addicted to 30-second skip, but it's not the only way to watch football. It's the way you watch football, but you watched it before and will watch it again when 30-second skip is removed from all DVRs.

Quote:
Just think, in the first year I had TiVo I told others what a change it would make in their lives, but most did not understand, but now as those same people either get introduced to a DVR or actually purchase a DVR, they all start to see the same thing I did in early 2000. I actually believe the reason most people do not use 30 second skip is that it is an acquired taste, and once acquired FF just does not compare.
That's one of the nice things about options - we can use it the way that works best for us. Doesn't mean that if something's eliminated it makes the item unusable. It's just less convenient and less satisfying.

I've started to rely more on FF than 30-second skip for two reasons. One, I think 30-second will eventully be gone from all DVRs. The other is I hate when the TiVo restarts and you lose it. Then I start watching a recorded show and when I hit the skip button, it skips to tick instead of 30 seconds. And with Tivo, unlike UTV, there's no easy way to restart a show from the beginning. So I've gotten pretty adept at FF, and won't miss 30-second skip that much when it's gone.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #85 (Print)
herdfan

As we were FF through commercials during 2.5 men (Love that show) I stopped to watch the new DVR commercial. It wouldn't make me go out and buy one, but I didn't hate it either.

But my wife agreed that for someone who never had one, it will do more than they expect so it will probably be a success. So unless the SP functionality is absolutely horrible, it will do OK.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #86 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SWITCH. They already have you. They don't care. They aren't spending $30M to get the people on this board to SWITCH! They are doing it to get NEW customers! Of course, you can't speak for all TiVo owners, and there WILL be a significant number who switch. Just ask your friendly dealer. But that's just a bonus. Who is HMC targeted to? Competition. As long as someone is developing it, everyone else has to follow suit or risk being left behind. DTV isn't marketing ANYTHING to you. You are firmly in their clutches. Why would they want you to switch? So they can get that $99 from you? NOPE. They're going to give it right back to you. You've missed the point.

Ricky

every DirectTV TiVo DVR is a monthly fee to TiVo from DirectTV. since that totals 2 million a month I am sure DirectTV would like to whittle the number down adn is indeed part of why the made the switch to an NDS supplied unit.

will they makes ads targeted at TiVo users ? No , you are right about that - it is hard enough to sell a DVR let alone some specific model to the general public.

Will they make you ask and ask emphatically for a TiVo DVR. You bet they will.

as for the R15, the box is going be released this month. I doubt any major changes are going to occurr ath ts point vs the manual and models people have looked at.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 09:14 AM   #87 (Print)
DevilsChargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstivo
At first I didn't see the big deal about the 30 second skip, but now I use it all the time. It's great for NFL games. If you hit it after a play is over it jumps foward 30 seconds and the players are lined up for the next play. I also prefer it for blowing through commercials, too.

That only works sometimes...for instance, last night's MNF game, my Bolts were running a bit of a hurry-up offense, which would make using 30 second skip between plays an adventure...
DevilsChargers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 09:16 AM   #88 (Print)
DevilsChargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho

And as far as actually finding something in a commercial break that I might want to watch/buy/whatever....I think that last happened back in 1968.

So, in the caveman days of the 70s and 80s, how did you ever figure out what shows to watch, with no Tivo or internet?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #89 (Print)
DevilsChargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak
Sometimes I have to try three times to get it to stop where I want it to.

Its all about reflexes and practice...baby...
Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 AM   #90 (Print)
DevilsChargers

Quote:
They did, it is called ReplayTV (which is another brand of DVR that has been out about 6+ years).

If you don't use 30-second skip, I guess you don't watch football. 30-second skip is PERFECT for both College and NFL football. I can watch all of the plays in a game and instead of wasting 3+ hours, I can watch a football game in an hour or so, depending upon the number of plays and if it goes into overtime. What a major time saver.

But then again, each to their own.

Quite the opposite actually, I watch SO much football on sunday that I never have enough buffer to effectively use FF or 30SS. But last night, switching back and forth between Raw and MNF, I was able to use FF very nicely to cut out 90% of John Madden, making me a very, very happy viewer.