July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #91 (Print)
HiDefGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo

Will they make you ask and ask emphatically for a TiVo DVR. You bet they will.

I doubt 6 months from now you will get one even if you ask and ask. The answer will always be they are out of stock. Would you like to call back next month or watch one of our non-Tivo DVR's until then?
HiDefGator is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #92 (Print)
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsChargers
That only works sometimes...for instance, last night's MNF game, my Bolts were running a bit of a hurry-up offense, which would make using 30 second skip between plays an adventure...

you, sir, need to master the 8 sec. back then 30 second skip. It's almost perfect for the hurry up offense.
bigpuma is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #93 (Print)
LilHarley

Send a message via Yahoo to LilHarley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob Boy
They could have had the greatest dvr in the world If they would have kept up with the S/A tivo. Can you imagine how incredible a directivo with version 7 would be. D* Doesnt want to be incredible just the same apparently as everyone else and squeek buy with some new subs. OH WELL!! Thats life

Of course they want to squeek by. The DVR is not their core business. They are looking at the bottom line as any other business does. If I was D*, I know I wouldn't be looking at trying to design the newest, best most advanced DVR. It would just cost too much in R&D.
I for one, have been waiting for the R15 before making my decision to get a new receiver. From what I understand, even the R10 would be a little different then my SA Tivo, so the R15 shouldn't be too much of a disappointment (i.e. since I haven't seen any of the talked about advantages of the older DirecTv Tivo models). Either way, I will be keeping my SA Tivo's.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:43 AM   #94 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHarley
(i.e. since I haven't seen any of the talked about advantages of the older DirecTv Tivo models). Either way, I will be keeping my SA Tivo's.

Other then Caller_ID, Free Space Indicator, and Interactive Support... other difference between the two have yet to be seen... until we have them in our hands.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #95 (Print)
JWThiers
Not So New Tivo Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin L
The other is I hate when the TiVo restarts and you lose it. Then I start watching a recorded show and when I hit the skip button, it skips to tick instead of 30 seconds. And with Tivo, unlike UTV, there's no easy way to restart a show from the beginning. So I've gotten pretty adept at FF, and won't miss 30-second skip that much when it's gone.

Try pressing the advance button again before the recording is over and it will jump to the beginning of the recording.
JWThiers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #96 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers
Try pressing the advance button again before the recording is over and it will jump to the beginning of the recording.
I'll have to check it when I get home. I know you can skip to tick all the way to the end on a completed recording, but I didn't think it works on a show that's still recording.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2005, 01:22 PM   #97 (Print)
el Dragon

I just saw the first new ad for a "Direct TV DVR" and it wasn't a TIVO box either. The commercial just shows quick looks at the R-15 with no real info on it.

Looks like the war has just begun.............
el Dragon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #98 (Print)
zoro

Sd Tivo Dvr Direct Tv

I have one for my bedroom, so should I call D* to swap that first? for how much?
zoro is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #99 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Dragon
I just saw the first new ad for a "Direct TV DVR" and it wasn't a TIVO box either. The commercial just shows quick looks at the R-15 with no real info on it.

Looks like the war has just begun.............

War?
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #100 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro
I have one for my bedroom, so should I call D* to swap that first? for how much?

Not sure what you mean....
There is no "swap" out for the R15... This is just another SD-DVR... If you would like to replace your DTivo with an R15, I am sure DirecTV will sell you one (when they actually start selling them).

This is not like the HD-Conversion, where DirecTV is expecting to swap out the boxes at no/little charge.

DBSTalk
Old 10-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #101 (Print)
JWThiers
Not So New Tivo Hack

Quote:
I'll have to check it when I get home. I know you can skip to tick all the way to the end on a completed recording, but I didn't think it works on a show that's still recording.

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it will go to the end on a show that is recording now... But if you press RR then advance it will go back 1 tick.
JWThiers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #102 (Print)
el Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
War?

The battle between direct Tv's DVR and Tivo...
el Dragon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #103 (Print)
Adam1115

Send a message via AIM to Adam1115 Send a message via Yahoo to Adam1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonjd
Back on the original topic.

The R15 is on the BestBuy.com website:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...d=1122654459818

It says "Coming Soon"

feature:

* 100GB hard drive that allows you to digitally record up to 100 hours of DIRECTV programming

What kind of compression are they doing? I thought they were reserving 60 hours for internal use, ppv's and such.

Their squeezing 160 hours on a 100 gig hard drive???

Adam1115 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #104 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
What kind of compression are they doing? I thought they were reserving 60 hours for internal use, ppv's and such.

I think that is a typo on someones part over there. Direct usually quotes the system in the number of hours it can record, not the size of the hard drive.

It is supposed to be a 160gb hard drive.

DBSTalk
Old 10-11-2005, 05:51 PM   #105 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
I think that is a typo on someones part over there. Direct usually quotes the system in the number of hours it can record, not the size of the hard drive.

It is supposed to be a 160gb hard drive.
Earl when you get yours you gonna try and drop a bigger drive in Jus for the heck of it to see if we can upgrade them?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #106 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

How did you become a tivo junkie. And who is your pusher. Do you snort or drink your tivo. Please god dont tell me you shoot it. If yes how do you get a tivo in the syringe. I personaly like to searve my tivo with a side of pasta and a fine red wine. Sometimes i have a tivo pie but lately i add my tivo to some eggs for a nice tivo omelette.. As you can tell I am UTTERLY INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #107 (Print)
jonaswan2

For all who want to check it out, I have a link to the User Manual. There you can look at all of the features this new box is going to have, and you can decide for yourself if you want to upgrade. I have to say, the interface is very similar to the D10's interface.

dbstalk com / specsheets / R15_Users_Manual pdf
jonaswan2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #108 (Print)
TheOneVader

I just saw the commercial... Did they honestly spend $30 million on that crap? And what is with that horrible DirecTV jingle?
TheOneVader is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 07:50 PM   #109 (Print)
drf23

Just saw the ad on Fox during the ALCS game (crying that the sox are out)
drf23 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 07:52 PM   #110 (Print)
drf23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115

Look at this:

"1 USB 2.0 port for future accessories and video-on-demand features, when implemented"

VOD - nice!
drf23 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 PM   #111 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Dragon
The battle between direct Tv's DVR and Tivo...

Not really a battle seeing as D* holds the rights to both DVR's.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #112 (Print)
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by drf23
VOD - nice!
OK, maybe it's just the way I watch TV and what I watch, but VOD is worthless to me. I get a PPV about twice a year and I don't want their ready-to-watch junk cloging up my recording space just so I can watch programs "on demand".
goony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 11:19 PM   #113 (Print)
rbautch
Try My Zipper

Quote:
Look at this:

"1 USB 2.0 port for future accessories and video-on-demand features, when implemented"

VOD - nice!
Awesome! Another set of dead USB ports, just like the DirecTivo.

Last edited by rbautch : 10-11-2005 at 11:52 PM.
rbautch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #114 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Not really a battle seeing as D* holds the rights to both DVR's.
They may have the rights to the hardware, but I highly doubt that TiVo gave up any rights to the software, and the software is what drives the DVR, the hardware is almost worthless and the hardware functionality could be easily duplicated. All of the worth is in the patents for the software and software functionality, which DTV would have to license and pay royalities to TiVo to use.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer

Last edited by tbeckner : 10-12-2005 at 12:29 AM.
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:02 AM   #115 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Look at this:

VOD - nice!
Actually, the VOD is the same capability that TiVo currently uses for showcases and the older STARS package. The VOD on the new DTV DVR will function in a similar way. Nothing really new there, just repackaged and re-marketed.

VOD will not really come into it's own until we all have FIBER to the house with 10Gbps+ access, IPTV, and huge online libraries to choose from. Then VOD will really be a true reality. The biggest problem for a long time to come for both satellite and wireless is the lack of bandwidth, which means if you really want breakthrough functionality, you will need FIBER to the HOUSE and the software to drive it. Physics will likely limit satellite and wireless functionality, although don't take this the wrong way, both will increase functionally for the short term, it is in the long term where the utlimate limits will apply.

Other choices for "future accessories", could be networking and external hard drives, which would be nice, but the based upon what has been reported the expense may drive some of that into the ground. The external hard drive expansion may be DTV's way to deal with a NON-HACKABLE BOX and the lack of HD expansion capability, but it will likley cost more than an actually HD replacement, but that is still to be seen.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94

Last edited by tbeckner : 10-12-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 AM   #116 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
when 30-second skip is removed from all DVRs.
Unless they push the code though the SAT to pull the code and override the hacked blocks to any updates (forced or otherwise), I will have 30 second skip until all of my units are dead (electronically, and not just HD death), because none of my units are connected to the phone line and all of the units have the anti-upgrade hack.

Quote:
The other is I hate when the TiVo restarts and you lose it.
All of my units are hacked so if they restart the 30 second code is reinstated at restart automatically, so I never have to turn 30 second skip on.

Quote:
Then I start watching a recorded show and when I hit the skip button, it skips to tick instead of 30 seconds.
Actually that only happens in the live buffer, NOT a recored show, if 30 second skip is on. To move to a tick forwards or backwards in a recorded show when 30 second skip is on, you press the FF forwards or FF backwards first then use the skip key.

Quote:
And with Tivo, unlike UTV, there's no easy way to restart a show from the beginning.
Depending upon where you are in the live buffer or a recorded show, you are no more than four [RECORDED SHOW] or three [LIVE BUFFER] keystrokes from either the beginning or the end of any 1 hour show, which can take about 2 to 4 seconds to press.

I have to assume you do not have five and half years of experience with a TiVo to know what it is capable of?

As a note, I do not use the TiVo remote, I got so use to the great key layout on the Sony TiVo, that I cloned that great key layout on my Sony RM-VL900 remotes, so I have been using the same remote and key layouts for all of my TiVo's SA and DTiVos for the last five and half years. BTW, the SONY RM-VL900's are great and have just the prefect number of keys, except with the added keys on the HDVR2 remote, I have had to use one of the left over devices (there are 8) to add INFO and ENTER.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 10-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #117 (Print)
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
tbeckner has it goin' on.

TiVo SA 240080 (347hr)
(plus many not in use)
Arcady is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #118 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies
I watch the Sunday Ticket LIVE every Sunday. (sports are the ONLY thing I watch live after getting my DTIVOs.)
Hi Bill, actually I have been TiVoized for five and a half years and in the early days before the 30 second skip I use to use FF, but that was before they screwed with the overshot factor many years ago. At that point I found FF more of a pain to use and found that with a little practice, 30-second skip with the 8 second back skip a perfect combo.

In the mid 1990's I use to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket, but since I get locals and east and west coast feeds (12 broadcast feeds), I found NFLST to be an expensive option that I really didn't need. But seriously, 30-second skip works perfect to skip the dead time between plays. One keystroke and I have gone from the end of one play to the quarterback under center or lifting his leg in the shotgun to get the snap. I found it to be a great time saver. Agreed adjustments have to be made for penalities, timeouts, injuries, and commercials breaks, but otherwise it works perfect for about 90% of the plays in a game. And just think, you can skip the 30 second deadtime in less than a second and you do not have to pay attention, it's fully automatic. And if required, you can still use FF for the other weird situations.

One major difference, except in very weird cases or breaking news programs, I never watch LIVE TV, and mean almost never. If I do watch two football games that are recording or are live and switch back and forth in the recording or buffer, that could be labeled as watching LIVE TV, but doesn't happen every often. And of course, if the data on the DTV DVR is correct, you cannot do that with that device.

I did notice that everyone that says that 30 second skip is not a very useful feature are not very long term TiVo users, and as a majority only used it for a short period before returning to FF. In fact, I may have shifted back and forth a couple of times before I settled in with THE SKIP.

After 4+ years of using THE SKIP, I would believe that I would find FF a pain, again because TiVo screwed up the OVERSHOT FACTOR in an update many years ago so that FF is not as functional as it once was.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I understand and believe that each to their own.

But for me, with 30 second skip I have the best of both worlds, THE SKIP and if required FF with a semi-screwed up OVERSHOT FACTOR, although I could likely correct the OVERSHOT FACTOR with the backdoor codes.

If I didn't have any option for 30 second skip, I guess I could live without it, but then again if I had a choice I would always choose a unit with 30 second skip and based upon my reviews, almost all current DVR's on the market and a lot if not all of the DVR software for PC's all have 30 second skip capability. There maybe a few out there that do not have the capability but they are in the minority.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94

Last edited by tbeckner : 10-12-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #119 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
Look at this:

VOD - nice!

Implemented 2025! Perhaps

Old 10-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #120 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeckner
Unless they push the code though the SAT to pull the code and override the hacked blocks to any updates (forced or otherwise), I will have 30 second skip until all of my units are dead (electronically, and not just HD death), because none of my units are connected to the phone line and all of the units have the anti-upgrade hack.
The 30-second skip will end, no matter what you do. Your units will eventually die, or DirecTV will require the units have the latest software to work. Besides, the number of TiVo users that hack their units is an extremely small percentage of TiVo users.

Quote:
All of my units are hacked so if they restart the 30 second code is reinstated at restart automatically, so I never have to turn 30 second skip on.
See above. Most users don't or won't hack their TiVos. I haven't hacked mine since I'm changing to all HR10s (have three now) and have added drives, but that's it. When someone finds a way to do MRV on the HR10s, then I'll do the hack and apply some of the other useful hacks that are out there, including this one.

Quote:
Actually that only happens in the live buffer, NOT a recored show, if 30 second skip is on. To move to a tick forwards or backwards in a recorded show when 30 second skip is on, you press the FF forwards or FF backwards first then use the skip key.
I know how it works, it's just that you don't have a warning that 30 second is off (from a restart).

Quote:
Depending upon where you are in the live buffer or a recorded show, you are no more than four [RECORDED SHOW] or three [LIVE BUFFER] keystrokes from either the beginning or the end of any 1 hour show, which can take about 2 to 4 seconds to press.
Again, this is something that's possible, but not easy. With UTV, you press stop, and are given choices to delete, restart from beginning, or return to My Shows. I know how to do it with TiVo, but the casual user (read wife ) doesn't. It should be easier or more intuitive than it is.

Quote:
I have to assume you do not have five and half years of experience with a TiVo to know what it is capable of?
No, t, I don't. I've been with DirecTV for almost four years, of which half that time was with UTV (very easy, even for casual users), and TiVo, which certainly more customizable, is not as intuitive. As you can see, I have over a 1,000 posts and have been here for a few years. I have a good idea how TiVo works, but can always learn more from more experienced users like yourself.

Quote:
As a note, I do not use the TiVo remote, I got so use to the great key layout on the Sony TiVo, that I cloned that great key layout on my Sony RM-VL900 remotes, so I have been using the same remote and key layouts for all of my TiVo's SA and DTiVos for the last five and half years. BTW, the SONY RM-VL900's are great and have just the prefect number of keys, except with the added keys on the HDVR2 remote, I have had to use one of the left over devices (there are 8) to add INFO and ENTER.
I had the Pronto TSU3000, but didn't care for the feel and lack of tactile feedback. I just switched to the Harmony 880 and am quite pleased with it. It's far from perfect, but it fits nicely in my hand and is easy to use.