Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2005, 01:45 AM   #1 (Print)
diamondsw

Big Grin Galleon 1.9.0 and Mac OS X

I'm happy to release a Java wrapper for Galleon on Mac OS X. What this means in a nutshell is no more trips to the terminal or scripts to launch Galleon, just double click an icon. Galleon will now launch with a normal icon on the dock, use the Mac menu bar, etc, just like a well-behaved Mac application. Obviously since I'm not modifying Galleon, all of its requirements still apply, like Tivo software 7.2.

To try it out, first download and extract the Galleon 1.9.0 zip file (this does require 1.8.0 or 1.9.0). Next, download this file:

MacOSX-Galleon-Bundles-1.3.180.zip

Extract it, and place the contents of its bin folder in the Galleon bin folder. Double-click "Galleon Server" and you're off and running - no terminal messiness. If you want to run the Galleon Server at login (not startup, user login) just add the "Galleon Server" application to your login items like any other. Once the server is running, open up the "Galleon GUI" to configure it (but give the server a good 30 seconds to start up properly).

Please, post your feedback, and enjoy!

Last edited by diamondsw : 11-17-2005 at 05:10 PM. Reason: New Version Available
diamondsw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 08:52 AM   #2 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Is this different than this?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=262780

And will yours work on 10.3.9 or does it require Tiger?

(I guess I could just wait until I get home to try)
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #3 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222

Completely different - these are standard Mac OS X application bundles, the same as iSeeiTunes, Azureus, and LimeWire use. It sets up the Java environment, provides dock icon and name (no more "org.lnicholls.galleon.server.server" and a generic Java icon on your dock), and for the GUI uses the Mac menubar. Nifty stuff.

Also, unlike scripts, this does not require su/sudo and has no path dependencies on where Galleon is located. The only requirement is that the application bundle I posted be located inside Galleon's bin folder, and all of the classpath entries are preset for Galleon 1.6.0.

Quote:
And will yours work on 10.3.9 or does it require Tiger?

(I guess I could just wait until I get home to try)

As far as I know, it should run on any version of Mac OS X that Galleon runs on. All it really does is initialize the Java environment for Galleon and launch it in a nice seamless Mac-like way.

Here's a mini screen shot:

Last edited by diamondsw : 10-11-2005 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Fixed stupid misspelling
Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #4 (Print)
cwoody222

Awesome; I'll give it a try first thing tonight!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:16 PM   #5 (Print)
ionblue

This is great! I'll have to give it a try. Funny that they have been "working on" a solution like this since the software's inception!

Any chance of making a Preference Panel type app that would/could auto load and that good stuff?
ionblue is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #6 (Print)
cwoody222

Works great; really easy! Nice!
Old 10-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #7 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionblue
This is great! I'll have to give it a try. Funny that they have been "working on" a solution like this since the software's inception!

Any chance of making a Preference Panel type app that would/could auto load and that good stuff?

Well, I'm very limited as to what I can do, since I'm not actually touching any of the Galleon code. This is purely a wrapper created with Apple's Java tools; so this is probably as good as it will get. I might be able to make a few nice optimizations if I can work with the Galleon developer for some minor code changes.

While I can't help you with getting it to load at startup, you can toss the Galleon Server icon into your login items and at least have it running on every login. I tend to always have my main account logged in, so this suffices. One of the problems with running it at boot time is that Java appears to require access to the Window Server, and the user's window server doesn't exist yet (or at least, whatever is running the login window can't be used).

There have been a variety of Galleon articles posted recently on Mac Geekery, which is where I got the idea for this.

Glad people are enjoying it! Galleon is just such a great package; I wanted to make sure OS X users had a good experience with it.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #8 (Print)
MT-Hand

I can't get this to work. I have copied the files into /Applications/Galleon 1.6.0/Bin (overwriting the previous scripts). When I double-click the "Galleon Server" bundle it appears to launch, but ~4 seconds after the icon has finished bouncing in the dock it quits.

Launching from the terminal still works fine, and I can then launch the "Galleon GUI" bundle.

Any ideas what's wrong?
MT-Hand is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #9 (Print)
cwoody222

I don't think I overwrote any files when I copied everything from the new bin folder into the Galleon bin folder. It just copied, but didn't replace any existing files.

I was running Galleon 1.5 so I had to do a fresh install of 1.6. Why don't you give that a try?
Old 10-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #10 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
I don't think I overwrote any files when I copied everything from the new bin folder into the Galleon bin folder. It just copied, but didn't replace any existing files.

True - you only need to replace files if you want the "universal" shell scripts that load all libraries in the lib directory and set the Mac-like properties (dock name, dock icon, Mac menu bar, etc). If you're just interested in the bundles, they'll work fine without replacing any files.

Just to clarify, the scripts I included are one way to launch Galleon, and the application bundles are another - neither one depends on the other in any way.

Last edited by diamondsw : 10-11-2005 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 10-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #11 (Print)
MT-Hand

Thanks Chris.

I tried that, but no joy. The only files that had been overwritten were the run.sh and gui.sh scripts. Also, Diamondsw's Readme specifically says that "All existing files in '/Applications/Galleon/bin" can be deleted" before copying his modified files to Galleon's bin folder -- so I'm not supprised that re-installing them didn't work.

Oh well thanks for trying.

--------
Todd
Old 10-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #12 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Hand
I can't get this to work. I have copied the files into /Applications/Galleon 1.6.0/Bin (overwriting the previous scripts). When I double-click the "Galleon Server" bundle it appears to launch, but ~4 seconds after the icon has finished bouncing in the dock it quits.

Launching from the terminal still works fine, and I can then launch the "Galleon GUI" bundle.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Hmmm, the fact that everything works from the terminal rules out any problems with the Java installation or Galleon. It doesn't appear to be spaces in the pathname, as I just tried that here as well. I'll admit to being at a loss - I tried to "break" the app in several ways (remove the Java folder, change VM options, change Java version, etc) and I couldn't reproduce this. I could make it refuse to launch at all, but I couldn't find anything that would make it fail after completing its launch. I'll keep looking into it, and see if there is any logged output that would help diagnose it.
  • When you run it from the shell script (either the original one or the new one I provided), do you get any output beyond "Galleon is starting" and "Galleon is ready"?
  • Are you using a fresh installation of Galleon 1.6.0 (not that I think it should matter)?
  • What does "java -version" return in the Terminal?

Last edited by diamondsw : 10-11-2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old 10-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #13 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Hand

Any ideas what's wrong?

Well, I tried a fresh copy of Galleon from the web, and everything worked here. Just for your info, I'm creating this with Mac OS X 10.4.2, and Java 1.4.2_09, with Java 1.5 (aka J2SE 5.0) optionally installed.

A few more questions:
  • What OS are you running, and what versions of Java are installed?
  • Is there anything in Galleon's logs/log.txt file that indicates a problem?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #14 (Print)
tarheelpir8

I have a quick question. Everything installed fine and the program will start up. However after attempting to connect to the server, it says "Could not connect to server". I have been unable to fix it. Any insight would be appreciated. By the way, I have never tried to connect to my Tivo with Galleon before trying this program. The test games and weather app from the Galleon website works however.
tarheelpir8 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #15 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelpir8
I have a quick question. Everything installed fine and the program will start up. However after attempting to connect to the server, it says "Could not connect to server". I have been unable to fix it. Any insight would be appreciated. By the way, I have never tried to connect to my Tivo with Galleon before trying this program. The test games and weather app from the Galleon website works however.

I assume you're referring to the GUI telling you it "could not connect", and based on what you said, I assume the server is already running when you launch the GUI. When the server is launched, it requires a good 20-30 seconds before it is ready, even though the dock icon has stopped bouncing (if you use the "run.sh" script on the command line you'll see a long delay between "Galleon is starting" and "Galleon is ready"). Make sure you've given it sufficient time to finish starting before launching the GUI.

If you're referring to the Tivo not being able to talk to your Mac, then also try launching Galleon via the scripts (cd Galleon/bin; ./run.sh). If the scripts have the same results (Galleon starts up but can't be contacted by the Tivo) then something outside of the application bundles is at fault, likely a network or Galleon issue. If you have a firewall, try disabling it temporarily. Also, check the Galleon FAQ for more troubleshooting info.

Last edited by diamondsw : 10-12-2005 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added additional info
Old 10-13-2005, 09:39 PM   #16 (Print)
MT-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsw
Well, I tried a fresh copy of Galleon from the web, and everything worked here. Just for your info, I'm creating this with Mac OS X 10.4.2, and Java 1.4.2_09, with Java 1.5 (aka J2SE 5.0) optionally installed.

A few more questions:
  • What OS are you running, and what versions of Java are installed?
  • Is there anything in Galleon's logs/log.txt file that indicates a problem?

I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.9 and ...
java version "1.4.2_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_09-233)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-56, mixed mode)

I've attached the log file from my last attempt. I don't see anything, but I'm not sure what to look for.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (14.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 10-14-2005, 12:59 AM   #17 (Print)
bootedbear
JavaJunkie

Thanks for providing this, diamondsw!
bootedbear is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #18 (Print)
JasonS

My apologies for the n00b questions, but I can't seem to find the answers from any of the Galleon threads or from the FAQ on the Galleon website. I have a Mac running Panther.

First, does Galleon require that I hack my TiVo? The Gelleon for Beginners how-to suggests no, but I'm not entirley sure. Second, will it allow me to download recorded content to my Mac? In other words, is it TiVo2Go for the rest of us?

Thanks!
JasonS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2005, 09:48 AM   #19 (Print)
cwoody222

No, you don't need to hack your TiVo. You simply need to be running v7.2. Otherwise you need to press a few buttons on your TiVo to enable the Music, Photos and MORE section on TiVo central.

It will allow you to download content. But it will still have the DRM so you won't be able to play it on your Mac. You'll need to play it on a Windows PC or use a Windows PC to remove the DRM (which we can't talk about here).

You can download your shows to your Mac w/o Galleon too. Just open up a browser and go to:

https://<tivo ip>/nowplaying/index.html

using
user: tivo
pass: <MAK> Your MAK is located in Messages and Setup on TiVo

You can find your TiVo IP in your router's config screens.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #20 (Print)
Unix_Beard

I have never been able to get my Tivos to see my Mac running Galleon.

I did as directed here, the Server started, icon is present, set stuff up in the GUI and still the Tivo does not see it. The Mac sees the Tivos since it finds them in the ToGo area just fine. The Mac is 10.4.x and the firewall is off.

Many thanks to diamondsw for creating this despite my issue. I'll try on my Powerbook later, perhaps this machine is just acting goofy.

Last edited by Unix_Beard : 10-14-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Unix_Beard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-15-2005, 12:03 PM   #21 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix_Beard
I have never been able to get my Tivos to see my Mac running Galleon.

I did as directed here, the Server started, icon is present, set stuff up in the GUI and still the Tivo does not see it. The Mac sees the Tivos since it finds them in the ToGo area just fine. The Mac is 10.4.x and the firewall is off.

Many thanks to diamondsw for creating this despite my issue. I'll try on my Powerbook later, perhaps this machine is just acting goofy.

If the shell script version isn't working, and you're not getting any obvious errors, I'd place my bets on network issues or even Tivo software.

A few basic network checks (probably won't apply, but just want to be sure):
  • Have you enabled Home Network Applications, under "Music, Photos, and More"?
  • You said the firewall is off, but just to make sure, check with "ps aux -www | grep ipfwloggerd". Sometimes the user interface doesn't match up with reality (although I see this very rarely on OS X).
  • Are the Macs and Tivo on the same subnet? Autodetection of HME apps takes place using Rendezvous/Bonjour, which only works on the local subnet. I'd try manually adding your Mac based on its IP address and see if that works.

Good luck - let me know if any of this helps, and I'll keep looking for more solutions.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:56 PM   #22 (Print)
diamondsw

Lightbulb Updated version available

I've posted an updated version of the Galleon application bundles. Mostly this is a documentation update based on what I've seen here in the forums, but I'm hopeful it may solve MT-Hand's issue with what looks like a bad classpath.

Version 1.2.160 - October 15th, 2005
  • Made minor modifications to classpaths - moved "conf" directory to the top.
  • Removed GUI-related options from server Java VM Options.
  • Updated GUI configuration icon, and changed configuration application from "Galleon GUI" to "Configure Galleon".
  • Updated sections of these notes to clarify and add requirements.

I've updated the link at the start of the thread so anyone who comes here will get the most recent version.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:51 PM   #23 (Print)
Unix_Beard

Yes, HME enabled, no firewall, same subnet. My Tivos see the Tivo Desktop. My Mac "sees" the Tivos according to Galleon. I can download shows from the Tivos using the web interface.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:07 AM   #24 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Yes, HME enabled, no firewall, same subnet. My Tivos see the Tivo Desktop. My Mac "sees" the Tivos according to Galleon. I can download shows from the Tivos using the web interface.

What happens if you manually add your computer using its IP address? I'm just trying to completely eliminate the network as a potential problem, although it certainly seems like it isn't the root cause. However, I'm reluctant to blame Galleon, as it is launching properly, is configured, etc.

If the IP address fails, then it's either a Tivo problem or a Galleon problem. Have you tried iSee iTunes (um, now AudioFaucet?), to make sure the Tivo can use any HME applications (Tivo Desktop uses HMO, a completely different system)? Something here seems like the Tivo's HME support just isn't working for some reason.

If iSee iTunes/AudioFaucet works, then your network is fine, your Tivo is fine, and the problem must be with Galleon. When you use the shell scripts to start Galleon, do you get any messages in the Terminal? Are there any "WARN" messages in logs/log.txt? I'd also look at the Galleon FAQ at as well.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #25 (Print)
Unix_Beard

The log has a bunch of these:

20:51:02,689 ERROR [RMI TCP Connection(6)-192.168.1.100] AppManager - Could not configure app
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.lnicholls.galleon.app.AppManager.createApp(AppManager.ja va:224)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.app.AppManager.updateApp(AppManager.ja va:360)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.server.Server.updateApp(Server.java:90 6)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.server.ServerControlImpl.updateApp(Ser verControlImpl.java:164)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAcce ssorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMe thodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.ja va:261)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport$1.run(Transport.java:148)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:144)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTranspo rt.java:460)
at sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCP Transport.java:701)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:552)
Old 10-16-2005, 07:16 PM   #26 (Print)
Unix_Beard

OK, this does work on my Powerbook so I guess my other machine is acting goofy. On my Powerbook, I downloaded what Galleon has listed as the MacOS X version, 1.5. 1.6 is listed above.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:37 PM   #27 (Print)
juanian

It seems like I have a similar problem. The server bounces once in the dock, then stays there for about 10 seconds, then goes away.

I had previously run Galleon using sudo run.sh, so I assume that the files are owned (and writable) only by root. It seems that there are permissions problems. I deleted the log files (since they were writable only by root), but I'm sure there are other files that have permission problems. The log shows things like:

19:05:05,478 INFO [main] DBCPConnectionProvider - DBCP prepared statement pooling enabled
19:05:05,500 INFO [main] TransactionManagerLookupFactory - No TransactionManagerLookup configured (in JTA environment, use of process level read-write cache is not recommended)
19:05:05,538 WARN [main] SettingsFactory - Could not obtain connection metadata
org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(Pool ingDataSource.java:103)
at net.sf.hibernate.connection.DBCPConnectionProvider.getConnec tion(DBCPConnectionProvider.java:41)
at net.sf.hibernate.cfg.SettingsFactory.buildSettings(SettingsF actory.java:84)
at net.sf.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSettings(Configurati on.java:1160)
at net.sf.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Confi guration.java:794)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.database.HibernateUtil.initialize(Hibe rnateUtil.java:72)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.server.Server.start(Server.java:245)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.server.Server.getServer(Server.java:61 1)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.server.Server.main(Server.java:1156)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAcce ssorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMe thodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:88)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicatio nLauncher.java:52)
Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException: Could not create a validated object, cause: A read-only user or a user in a read-only database is not permitted to disable read-only mode on a connection.
at org.apache.commons.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrowObject( GenericObjectPool.java:806)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolingDataSource.getConnection(Pool ingDataSource.java:95)
... 15 more

and many cache initialization problems like:

19:05:05,550 INFO [main] Configuration - instantiating and configuring caches
19:05:05,623 ERROR [main] DiskStore - org.lnicholls.galleon.database.AudioCache: Could not create disk store
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /tmp/org.lnicholls.galleon.database.Audio.data (Permission denied)
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.open(Native Method)
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:204)
at net.sf.ehcache.store.DiskStore.<init>(DiskStore.java:144)
at net.sf.ehcache.store.DiskStore.<init>(DiskStore.java:113)
at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.initialise(Cache.java:211)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.addCacheNoCheck(CacheManager.jav a:297)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.configure(CacheManager.java:164)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.<init>(CacheManager.java:128)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.create(CacheManager.java:180)
at net.sf.ehcache.CacheManager.getInstance(CacheManager.java:19 6)
at net.sf.hibernate.cache.EhCache.<init>(EhCache.java:91)
at net.sf.hibernate.cache.EhCacheProvider.buildCache(EhCachePro vider.java:84)
at net.sf.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.configureCaches(Configura tion.java:1135)
at net.sf.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Confi guration.java:795)
at org.lnicholls.galleon.database.HibernateUtil.initialize(Hibe rnateUtil.java:72)
. . .

and the log ends with:

19:05:06,777 INFO [main] HibernateUtil - Initialized Hibernate
19:05:06,933 WARN [main] JDBCExceptionReporter - SQL Error: 0, SQLState: null
19:05:06,934 ERROR [main] JDBCExceptionReporter - Cannot get a connection, pool exhausted
19:05:06,938 ERROR [main] Server - net.sf.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Cannot open connection

Is the solution simply to chown files somewhere (like the data directory structure), or delete and let files be recreated on Galleon startup?

I assume that one can't swap between using Terminal to start Galleon and using the application bundles to start Galleon (but who would want to go bacck to Terminal!)

Some background:
I had been running 1.5.0 (installed with the Mac package) using run.sh. I had since updated it to 1.6.0 by overwriting the 1.6.0 bin files from the zip. (This seemed to work, but I seem to recall that info from programs which were recorded when the 1.5.0 server was running lost the designation that they had been 'Saved'.)

EDIT: I can access Galleon using your updated run.sh and gui.sh files using "sudo ./run.sh" and "sudo ./gui.sh", and the apps show in the dock and use the updated menus as expected.

EDIT: I'm not at home right now, and I don't know how to port redirect in Galleon to access my TiVo, so I can't fully test this out.

Last edited by juanian : 10-16-2005 at 09:59 PM.
juanian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #28 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
OK, this does work on my Powerbook so I guess my other machine is acting goofy. On my Powerbook, I downloaded what Galleon has listed as the MacOS X version, 1.5. 1.6 is listed above.

The packages I uploaded are for 1.6.0 only. The only difference I can find between the "Mac OS X" package 1.5 and the standard 1.6 is the scripts in the /bin directory. My package updates and replaces those, so you can use 1.6.0 just fine (or, you should be able to at any rate).
Old 10-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #29 (Print)
diamondsw

Eureka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanian
It seems like I have a similar problem. The server bounces once in the dock, then stays there for about 10 seconds, then goes away.

I had previously run Galleon using sudo run.sh, so I assume that the files are owned (and writable) only by root. It seems that there are permissions problems. I deleted the log files (since they were writable only by root), but I'm sure there are other files that have permission problems.

Aha!

The problem is permissions - on your initial run using sudo, all of the configuration files in "conf" were created as root, and on subsequent runs the apps (which are running as a normal user) can't read them. Thus all of the "default configuration" errors.

To fix this, navigate to the "Galleon/bin" directory, and run the following command (I'd copy/paste it, as those are backquotes around the whoami command):

Code:
sudo chown -R `whoami` ../

I have verified this is the problem, and the line above will correct the permissions and allow the application bundles to run properly.

Last edited by diamondsw : 10-17-2005 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Clarified the fix
Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #30 (Print)
cwoody222

Seems after my mac wakes from sleep I have to stop and re-start Galleon. Is this normal?