SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #31 (Print)
MT-Hand

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsw
Aha!

The problem is permissions - on your initial run using sudo, all of the configuration files in "conf" were created as root, and on subsequent runs the apps (which are running as a normal user) can't read them. Thus all of the "default configuration" errors.

To fix this, navigate to the "Galleon/bin" directory, and run the following command (I'd copy/paste it, as those are backquotes around the whoami command):

Code:
sudo chown -R `whoami` ../

I have verified this is the problem, and the line above will correct the permissions and allow the application bundles to run properly.

Yes! I'm sure that this was the problem.

Like Juanian, I had upgraded from Galleon 1.5 to 1.6 by copying the new JAR files over the old (keeping my config files). The server worked fine from the terminal (via sudo), but not from the bundle. I had determined that the config file was somehow the culprit, but didn't have the unix-savy to undersand why -- or how to "fix" the problem elegantly. I resorted to bute-force: started from scratch with a pristine copy of 1.6 + Diamondsw's bundles, and re-entered my config settings manually.

At least know I know that it wasn't just me!

Thank to Diamondsw and Juanian both!!

iMac DV400
OS X 10.3.9
Galleon 1.9.2
MT-Hand is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 04:33 AM   #32 (Print)
juanian

Quote:
. . .

To fix this, navigate to the "Galleon/bin" directory, and run the following command (I'd copy/paste it, as those are backquotes around the whoami command):

Code:

I have verified this is the problem, and the line above will correct the permissions and allow the application bundles to run properly.
This did fix my problem (with not being able to start using the application bundles); once I get home, I can play more.

I did notice that my config.xml did get cleared at some point -- I don't know if it happened with the 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 upgrade (likely) or when I ran the app bundles with the wrong permissions (less likely). (I have since restored the file from the backup I made before I upgraded.) I've currently been using a Windows 98 server as my main TiVo Galleon server, and I haven't been using my Mac as my Galleon server, so I'm not sure when it was erased, but it did have version 1.6.0.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:40 PM   #33 (Print)
MT-Hand

Will Bundles work with Galleon 1.7.0 binaries?

I see that Leon is back from vacation and hit the ground running with v 1.7!
Should I be able to update the binaries and have Diamondsw's bundles still work, or will they need to be modified?

Thanks,
Todd

iMac DV400
OS X 10.3.9
Galleon 1.9.2
MT-Hand is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #34 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Hand
Should I be able to update the binaries and have Diamondsw's bundles still work, or will they need to be modified?

Thanks,
Todd

I planning to make the bundles one of the standard distributions.

Old 10-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #35 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-Hand

Thanks,
Todd

EDIT: I tested it with 1.7.0, and it works fine. There were no changes to the contents of the /lib directory, so the classpaths did not change.

Last edited by diamondsw : 10-22-2005 at 03:05 PM.
diamondsw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #36 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Before I go ahead and just upgrade to 1.7 can someone help? I'm having a helluva time lately trying to get my Now Playing list to see my GoBack recordings. It used to work fine and I haven't changed my setup but now it's sporadic at best.

I've found with using the "bundles" that Galleon won't stay running thru a Sleep mode so I have to stop and restart the bundle. No big deal. I can go into "Music, Photos & More" and verify that Galleon's up and running. Even ToGo.

But GoBack isn't. I checked that I'm Enabled Sharing on Tivo.com, I've got it Enabled (and my MAK entered) in Galleon.. I've waited forever, tried going in and out of Now Playing a ton of times. Nothing.

Rebooted the TiVo even. Still nothing. I just had it working a few days ago so I don't understand what happened. Help!
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #37 (Print)
IPbUnSJ5njOL

Am I missing something? Where is the 1.7 for Mac? The Galleon homepage only has 1.5...

Last edited by IPbUnSJ5njOL : 10-23-2005 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Found it.
IPbUnSJ5njOL is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-23-2005, 01:05 PM   #38 (Print)
cwoody222

Following the instructions in the first post of this thread should work. As long as Galleon doesn't change certain things in new versions, Galleon updated versions can be substituted for 1.6. Just use the "binary version" Galleon always offers.

The bundles will work with 1.7 allowing you to start it and run it on Mac.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:21 PM   #39 (Print)
bostlaw

OK...don't laugh...Here's my issue...Galleon seems to be running fine on my iMacG5...with one exception...I can't access apps through the Tivo...They show up on the Tivo menu, but then I receive an http connection error... What foolish thing am I doing...or not doing??? Any help greatly appreciated (Fine, you can laugh at me too....)

2 WG-111 wireless 802.11G adapters
bostlaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #40 (Print)
javahmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostlaw
OK...don't laugh...Here's my issue...Galleon seems to be running fine on my iMacG5...with one exception...I can't access apps through the Tivo...They show up on the Tivo menu, but then I receive an http connection error... What foolish thing am I doing...or not doing??? Any help greatly appreciated (Fine, you can laugh at me too....)

This is probably due to a firewall issue:

http://galleon.sourceforge.net/html/faq.html#ports

Old 10-25-2005, 04:34 AM   #41 (Print)
bostlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahmo
This is probably due to a firewall issue:

http://galleon.sourceforge.net/html/faq.html#ports

Absolutely correct....problem solved...Thanks!!!

2 WG-111 wireless 802.11G adapters
bostlaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2005, 05:30 PM   #42 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

I'm using Airport Express... where do I find this "TiVo IP"?? As a return tip to the thread, the MAK can be accessed directly on the web from Manage My Account.

"You can download your shows to your Mac w/o Galleon too. Just open up a browser and go to:

https://<tivo ip>/nowplaying/index.html

using
user: tivo
pass: <MAK> Your MAK is located in Messages and Setup on TiVo

You can find your TiVo IP in your router's config screens."
TiVoEvan74 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-29-2005, 05:35 PM   #43 (Print)
cwoody222

Are you using a Mac? A router? Your router should have a way for you to configure it using any browser... and within there you'll find the internal IP addresses of everything running on your network.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:56 AM   #44 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

Confused more than ever. I'm using a Mac... the wireless "router" if that's what the tech term is, is an Airport Express.

When someone says enter the Tivo IP are they referring to a web port for Tivo? Or some address assigned to the TiVo unit (we have several)? Or the IP of the cable modem connection? Or what?

I don't know what any of this tech lingo means...

I can run Airport Administrator which will show me an IP, but that didn't work and it seems to be just one for the cable modem.

Is there a place on the TiVo itself that shows that TiVo IP address?
Old 10-30-2005, 12:15 PM   #45 (Print)
funkyjunkman

Use Bonjour Browser to find Tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
Confused more than ever. I'm using a Mac... the wireless "router" if that's what the tech term is, is an Airport Express.

When someone says enter the Tivo IP are they referring to a web port for Tivo? Or some address assigned to the TiVo unit (we have several)? Or the IP of the cable modem connection? Or what?

I don't know what any of this tech lingo means...

I can run Airport Administrator which will show me an IP, but that didn't work and it seems to be just one for the cable modem.

Is there a place on the TiVo itself that shows that TiVo IP address?

Just use Bonjour Browser. Find it here.

The service you are looking for is under HTTP and, on my machine, starts with DVR. Instead of an IP address (that can change depending on your network config) you get a 'bonjour' address that ends in .local that acts just the same.

For example, my login link looks like this:
https://dvr-ab47.local/nowplaying/index.html

Last edited by funkyjunkman : 10-30-2005 at 12:23 PM.
funkyjunkman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-30-2005, 02:33 PM   #46 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

OK, downloaded BB. Ran it. It shows me various TiVo things and under HTTP my two TiVos show up, but nothing begins with dvr... and nothing ends with .local

hmm.... well, there is an overall heading that says local under which all that other stuff appears... there are a bunch of number under different entries of the form ##.#.##:## do I use one of them?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #47 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

Ah, tried one of them, the one under local called Now Playing...... and it called for user name and password, so I entered tivo and my MAK and voila... a list of what's on my TiVo.

That's pretty amazing! Now, I'm on a Mac, so all I can do is download a show for archiving, and then I could restore it later somehow if needed, right?

Of course, I just noticed how HUGE, and I mean HUGE, these files are. Should've expected it I suppose, but it does mean that transfers will take a LONG time and tie up resources.

By the way, is there any way of having the Mac act as the TiVo going to TiVo Central, deleting shows, setting up new shows, etc.? I suppose that's what Galleon does...

Last edited by TiVoEvan74 : 10-30-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:32 PM   #48 (Print)
funkyjunkman

The final step

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
Ah, tried one of them, the one under local called Now Playing...... and it called for user name and password, so I entered tivo and my MAK and voila... a list of what's on my TiVo.

That's pretty amazing! Now, I'm on a Mac, so all I can do is download a show for archiving, and then I could restore it later somehow if needed, right?

Of course, I just noticed how HUGE, and I mean HUGE, these files are. Should've expected it I suppose, but it does mean that transfers will take a LONG time and tie up resources.

By the way, is there any way of having the Mac act as the TiVo going to TiVo Central, deleting shows, setting up new shows, etc.? I suppose that's what Galleon does...

Yep... that's what I've done. I use Galleon to download files to my Mac, as opposed to the web interface. Then, I use Virtual PC with TivoToGo installed as well as some 'conversion' app (that will remain nameless here) that turns the .tivo files into MPG2 files that play on my Mac using VLC. It's a quite annoying to have to use VPC in order to convert the files, but if I'm getting ready for a big trip I can rip a bunch of Tivo content to my Mac in one sitting.

This app has made life a bit easier in dealing with Galleon.

I hope this all helps!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:08 AM   #49 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyjunkman

I hope this all helps!

Heh, that's what this whole thread is about. Notice it's released by "Diamond Software"? Just remember, folks, all I did was a quickie little launcher app. 99.9999999% of the very hard work was done by Leon, so send him your undying gratitude (I know I am!).

Obviously, once this is all rolled into the Galleon release I'll pull the separate listing on MacUpdate, as we won't need it anymore.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:01 AM   #50 (Print)
juanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyjunkman
. . .
. . .
Looking at the current install instructions for OS X on sourceforge, they say to run "bin/Galleon Server" and "bin/Configure Galleon", so maybe the bundlers have been added to the release (instead of having to find and copy them separately. (1.8 is out, and when the Mac OS X bundle is ready, I'll download it and check.)

Old 10-31-2005, 09:00 AM   #51 (Print)
funkyjunkman

Quote:
Heh, that's what this whole thread is about. Notice it's released by "Diamond Software"? Just remember, folks, all I did was a quickie little launcher app. 99.9999999% of the very hard work was done by Leon, so send him your undying gratitude (I know I am!).

Obviously, once this is all rolled into the Galleon release I'll pull the separate listing on MacUpdate, as we won't need it anymore.

Nice... shows how closely I was reading this thread

Anyway, I have no working knowledge of creating Java bundles and was considering taking the project on, so I'm thrilled you took the time to put that together. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:41 PM   #52 (Print)
hammer32
TiVo Combat Crew

Quote:
Aha!

The problem is permissions - on your initial run using sudo, all of the configuration files in "conf" were created as root, and on subsequent runs the apps (which are running as a normal user) can't read them. Thus all of the "default configuration" errors.

Code:

I seem to have a similar problem. The Galleon Server icon bounces once. I didn't see anything in the colsole logs. I tried running the code above in the Gallson/bin/ folder, but this didn't seem to affect things. I had been running 1.1.6 without issue and replaced that entire folder with the 1.1.7 (same single bounce) and now 1.1.8.

Hughes GXCEB0T DirecTiVo, Stock (Wife's)
TiVo Series 2 SA, 40 hours, HMO
www.mercenary-missileer.com
www.military-community.com
hammer32 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-31-2005, 11:15 PM   #53 (Print)
diamondsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer32
I seem to have a similar problem. The Galleon Server icon bounces once. I didn't see anything in the colsole logs. I tried running the code above in the Gallson/bin/ folder, but this didn't seem to affect things. I had been running 1.1.6 without issue and replaced that entire folder with the 1.1.7 (same single bounce) and now 1.1.8.

Before you get too deep in other things, please try the following:
1) Download a fresh copy of the zip for version 1.6 or 1.7 and expand it. Do not use 1.8; I think the jar files have changed.
2) Download a fresh copy of my bundles and place them in the bin directory.
3) Launch "Galleon Server". Do not use the command line scripts; do not try to merge in settings from previous versions.
4) Assuming it launches properly, after 60 seconds launch "Configure Galleon". On this first launch, allow "Galleon Server" additional time to perform initial setup.

Post back and let us know what happened. I'd especially like to make sure there aren't any problems we haven't thought of before this gets rolled into the official release of 1.8.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:48 PM   #54 (Print)
Eve6MediaHQ

For some reason I keep getting the message "Could Not Connect To Server"

Any ideas?

java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: localhost; nested exception is:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: Could connect to server: localhost
2005-10-31 23:45:38,591 ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] Galleon - java.lang.NullPointerException: Could not get apps from server: localhost
2005-10-31 23:46:41,567 ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] Galleon - java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: localhost; nested exception is:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: Could connect to server: localhost
2005-10-31 23:46:41,567 ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] Galleon - java.lang.NullPointerException: Could not retrieve current version from server: localhost
2005-10-31 23:47:49,241 ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] Galleon - java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: localhost; nested exception is:
2005-10-31 23:47:49,241 ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] Galleon - java.lang.NullPointerException: Could not get app descriptors from server: localhost
Eve6MediaHQ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #55 (Print)
hammer32
TiVo Combat Crew

Quote:

snip...

Post back and let us know what happened. I'd especially like to make sure there aren't any problems we haven't thought of before this gets rolled into the official release of 1.8.

No issues with an install of 1.6.0 and your bundle. Each step worked fine.

Hughes GXCEB0T DirecTiVo, Stock (Wife's)
TiVo Series 2 SA, 40 hours, HMO
www.mercenary-missileer.com
www.military-community.com
hammer32 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 04:01 AM   #56 (Print)
gryhound

This address doesn't work

You can download your shows to your Mac w/o Galleon too. Just open up a browser and go to:

cant use web addresses yet due to blog restriction. ://<tivo ip>/nowplaying/index.html

I tried the above address and it didn't work. However I was able to enter my IP and get a generic screen by doing the following see above://<tivo ip>/index.html

How do we get to the nowplaying list? Has this changed with 7.2 of the TiVo software?

Just realized that I was using H T. T P instead of H T. T P S.

Last edited by gryhound : 11-04-2005 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Fixed problem
gryhound is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 04:17 AM   #57 (Print)
gryhound

I've got it fixed now. See the original message.. I made an edit to it.
gryhound is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #58 (Print)
AnteL0pe
the anti-haX0r

Quote:
1) Download a fresh copy of the zip for version 1.6 or 1.7 and expand it. Do not use 1.8; I think the jar files have changed.
2) Download a fresh copy of my bundles and place them in the bin directory.
3) Launch "Galleon Server". Do not use the command line scripts; do not try to merge in settings from previous versions.
4) Assuming it launches properly, after 60 seconds launch "Configure Galleon". On this first launch, allow "Galleon Server" additional time to perform initial setup.

Im thinking of taking the plunge and installing galleon for the very first time. I'll be putting in on one of my macs at home, is this the process I should follow as well?

Old 11-04-2005, 01:26 PM   #59 (Print)
marcush

I tried this last night on a beige G3 running 10.3.9. It is my backup and jukebox server. I was successful with Galleon 1.6. I like the additional HME apps and think this is a good idea. Thanks. I'll give this a try with v1.7.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #60 (Print)
AnteL0pe
the anti-haX0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcush
I tried this last night on a beige G3 running 10.3.9. It is my backup and jukebox server. I was successful with Galleon 1.6. I like the additional HME apps and think this is a good idea. Thanks. I'll give this a try with v1.7.

Sweet, im slowly turning my DP 1Ghz G4 into a media server, this will be the next step.