July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2001, 02:23 PM   #31 (Print)
groundcrack
Advanced Member

Big Grin

The comment about voiding the waranty was a joke. Using these codes could be slightly risky & could potentually cause problems with the way your tivo works. Every thing can be re-set back to normal by re-booting.

------------------
Using 2.01 on 127.75 Hour Phillips HDR31202 & 30 Hour HDR31299(singl drive refurb).

[This message has been edited by groundcrack (edited 06-25-2001).]
groundcrack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2001, 08:26 PM   #32 (Print)
jrl1701

Big Grin

First, thanks to all who have worked hard to figure out these codes.

I have a second Tivo that I use for conflict situations but I refuse to pay full for the second subscription. As a result, the time in this unit is now way off (6 minutes fast last time I checked). I tried to do the test call to reset the time but it didn't work. So I wanted to use the remote codes but I don't want to do it without knowing the exact format - the original post says to use the same format as "settime". I've searched for this and can't find it.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks again.
Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-27-2001, 09:48 AM   #33 (Print)
groundcrack
Advanced Member

Big Grin

This is all I could find on the subject:

Quote:
To set the clock at the bash prompt: settime 19900616013000
settime -rtc

The first line will set the time to 1990-06-16 at 01:30:00(use 24 hour time).

The second line will commit the change to the onboard real time clock.

I'm pretty sure this has to do with how to set the time with a computer...So I'm sure that the second line has nothing to do with using a remote.

------------------
Using 2.01 on 127.75 Hour Phillips HDR31202 & 30 Hour HDR31299(singl drive refurb).
Old 06-27-2001, 10:09 AM   #34 (Print)
choccy
IS-700 Certified

Send a message via ICQ to choccy Send a message via AIM to choccy Send a message via Yahoo to choccy
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcrack:
This is all I could find on the subject:

I'm pretty sure this has to do with how to set the time with a computer...So I'm sure that the second line has nothing to do with using a remote.

Hey, if you are going to quote me, at least say it is me you are quoting

The settime takes the date in the format of YYYYMMDDHHMMSS
(year, month, day, hour, minute, seconds) IIRC, but just remember that (at the moment) you need to ADD FOUR HOURS to adjust for the fact that TiVO uses GMT (UTC) and that it is EDT not EST at the moment (summer time). You would add 5 hours out of summer time. Also remember to represent the hours in 24 hour format (or so-called "military time", for you yankee types ).

For example, it is now 11:03 am. Use this: 20010627160300.

The 'settime -rtc' (again, at the bash prompt) commits the time to the onboard real time clock, otherwise, you will lose it when you power off/reboot. Don't know if setting the clock through myworld does a -rtc for you.

------------------
Tim 'Timmy' Gladding
Sony SVR-2000 - 2.0.1-002-010 (untouched)
Philips HDR-112 - 2.0.1-002-000 (82 hours - hacked to death!)
choccy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-28-2001, 10:12 AM   #35 (Print)
groundcrack
Advanced Member

Big Grin

O.K. Thanks Tim, but I'm still a little lost. I'm not sure what time zone you're in. I live in CA. Can you tell me how many hours I need to add to adjust from here(during the summer & accounting for daylight savings).

P.S. I guess I did quote you. Next time I'll make sure I let people know that I am quoting Timmmmaaaaaayyyyy - Timmayy-Timmayy!

------------------
Old 06-28-2001, 12:14 PM   #36 (Print)
choccy
IS-700 Certified

Send a message via ICQ to choccy Send a message via AIM to choccy Send a message via Yahoo to choccy
Big Grin

Quote:
O.K. Thanks Tim, but I'm still a little lost. I'm not sure what time zone you're in. I live in CA. Can you tell me how many hours I need to add to adjust from here(during the summer & accounting for daylight savings).

As far as I can tell TiVO always uses the same time internally, it just adjusts to your timezone in software (myworld aka tivoapp). I don't remember telling it what zone I was in during the guided setup so I am assuming that it will figure out your zone from your zip or area code.

Just give it a try.. if you're an hour or 4 out, try again

Quote:

P.S. I guess I did quote you. Next time I'll make sure I let people know that I am quoting Timmmmaaaaaayyyyy - Timmayy-Timmayy!

I'm thinking of changing my name to.. Jimmy!

Gobble?

------------------
Tim 'Timmy' Gladding
Sony SVR-2000 - 2.0.1-002-010 (untouched)
Philips HDR-112 - 2.0.1-002-000 (82 hours - hacked to death!)

[This message has been edited by tim_gladding (edited 06-28-2001).]
choccy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-28-2001, 08:43 PM   #37 (Print)
tperez1010

Big Grin

Does anyone know if there is a shortcut code to disable and enable auto-recording of Tivo Suggestions?

------------------
--
tperez1010

(1) Philips TIVO SA - 30hr
Old 06-29-2001, 01:54 AM   #38 (Print)
LarryF805

Big Grin

I must be doing something wrong. How exactly do I activate the clock display option on my Tivo. The post says I don't need back door codes but I don't have a clue how to punch in the info with my remote. Please help.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:00 AM   #39 (Print)
bfisher

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by tperez1010:
Does anyone know if there is a shortcut code to disable and enable auto-recording of Tivo Suggestions?

Why wouldn't you just go into your configuration settings and turn this on or off? Why do you need a back door code?
bfisher is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-29-2001, 11:43 AM   #40 (Print)
dgstivo

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryF805:
I must be doing something wrong. How exactly do I activate the clock display option on my Tivo. The post says I don't need back door codes but I don't have a clue how to punch in the info with my remote. Please help.

Just press Select Play Select 9 Select, then jump into any menu (using the TiVo button, for example). When you return to a viewing screen, the clock should be visible in the lower right corner.

Use the same sequence again to turn off the clock display, if you wish. Mine is always on.
dgstivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-29-2001, 11:43 AM   #41 (Print)
Otto

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryF805:

Go to a recorded show. Start it playing. Then press SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-NINE-SELECT. Voila, the clock appears in the very bottom right corner.. You'll hear several dings if you do it correctly.

Also, on many badly adjusted TV's, the clock is mostly offscreen. That's just a sign that you need to get your TV calibrated so you can see the full picture.

------------------
Everything I say is my opinion and not necessarily a statement of fact. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett
Otto is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-29-2001, 11:47 AM   #42 (Print)
dgstivo

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
Go to a recorded show. Start it playing. Then press SELECT-PLAY-SELECT-NINE-SELECT. Voila, the clock appears in the very bottom right corner.. You'll hear several dings if you do it correctly.

Three dings, to be annoyingly nit-pickingly correct [ducks].

Thanks for being more clear than my post in pointing out that you need to start from a viewing screen.
dgstivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-29-2001, 04:59 PM   #43 (Print)
LarryF805

Big Grin

Otto and Dgstivo. Thanks. It worked like a charm. I'm a newbie at all this so sometimes I need step by step instructions. Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2001, 12:49 AM   #44 (Print)
Richard Finegold

Exclamation

You can also do SPS9S from Live TV. I did this when I thought I was watching something prerecorded and my buffer was lost when it changed to channel 9.
Old 07-02-2001, 03:29 AM   #45 (Print)
AndrewB01

Big Grin

Quote:

Pacific Time is currently -0700 GMT. When we go back to Standard time, it changes to -0800 GMT.
Old 07-02-2001, 02:13 PM   #46 (Print)
groundcrack
Advanced Member

Big Grin

Andrew. When I look at your post, it showes that you posted at 7:29 AM Pacific time & your telling me that at that time, it was 0700 GMT. So are you saying that in california, you don't need to adjust at all?

------------------

[This message has been edited by groundcrack (edited 07-02-2001).]
Old 07-02-2001, 11:52 PM   #47 (Print)
trainman
Man of Trains

Send a message via AIM to trainman
Big Grin

Actually, Andrew's post was made at 4:29 A.M. Eastern time, which is 1:29 A.M. Pacific.

"-0700 GMT" doesn't mean 7:00 A.M., it means "minus 7 hours." Pacific Daylight Time is 7 hours behind GMT, and Pacific Standard Time is 8 hours behind GMT, so if I understand all this correctly, when you enter a time into your TiVo, add seven hours to what it says on your watch.

------------------
trainman is Jim Ellwanger, with a Sony SVR-2000
trainman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2001, 09:33 AM   #48 (Print)
groundcrack
Advanced Member

Big Grin

Quote:
Actually, Andrew's post was made at 4:29 A.M. Eastern time, which is 1:29 A.M. Pacific.

Yea, I just realized that on the way into work this morning. Thanks for the instructions. I'll give it a shot.

------------------
Old 07-03-2001, 02:45 PM   #49 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

Send a message via AIM to bedelman Send a message via Yahoo to bedelman
Lightbulb

I ran across something really odd yesterday. I went from the "Now Playing" list and selected one of the programs. After looking at it, I decided that it wasn't worth keeping so I hit the "clear" button on the remote (think that it would delete it). When I did this it showed the hidden series and episode numbers that are used by the guide listings.

I have backdoors enabled - which may be why this works.

I can't see anything useful in this - but I did find it interesting.

Pressing "clear" toggles the display of the catalog numbers on and off
bedelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2001, 09:13 PM   #50 (Print)
Tivo Fan

Big Grin

I found the same thing. Pressing Clear shows the Program Number and the Episode Number of the recording in question. Interesting, but not of too much use.

------------------
Regards:
Tivo Fan

Un-Hacked Sony 30 Hour, Bought the First Day they were available!
Old 07-07-2001, 10:40 AM   #51 (Print)
mschwab

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
Also, on many badly adjusted TV's, the clock is mostly offscreen. That's just a sign that you need to get your TV calibrated so you can see the full picture.

On my one year old 27" Panasonic, the clock flickers between 1/3rd and 2/3rds off the screen! I have no idea how to calibrate it. Are there adjustments on the back, or do I have to take it to a service shop?

------------------
-- TiVo FAQ Editor: www.tivofaq.com
mschwab is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-07-2001, 01:42 PM   #52 (Print)
Jim West

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by mschwab:
On my one year old 27" Panasonic, the clock flickers between 1/3rd and 2/3rds off the screen! I have no idea how to calibrate it. Are there adjustments on the back, or do I have to take it to a service shop?

I have seen posts about a DVD which can be used to calibrate a TV, but I do not know how it works. There was a post within the last few days, and I will see if I can find it.

Jim West

Jim West is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-07-2001, 01:45 PM   #53 (Print)
Jim West

Big Grin

I believe this is the thread I was thinking about.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubbtivo/Forum1/HTML/007543.html

Jim West
Jim West is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-07-2001, 01:56 PM   #54 (Print)
mschwab

Big Grin

That thread and the Avia disk seem to be about calibrating the image quality, such as hue, tint, and sharpness (for which my TV does have menu items).

What Otto mentioned in this thread was calibrating the image position on the screen, much like you would adjust horizontal/vertical size/position on a CRT. I don't know how to adjust those things on my TV. I guess I'll drag it out and see if there's any more adjustments on the back.

------------------
Old 07-08-2001, 06:06 PM   #55 (Print)
rasheed

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by mschwab:
I don't know how to adjust those things on my TV. I guess I'll drag it out and see if there's any more adjustments on the back.

Sadly, it isn't like a monitor in most cases, you have to open the back and adjust some knobs slowly that are often on or near the tube with obvious caution must be taken because of the power.

Rasheed
rasheed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-09-2001, 09:10 AM   #56 (Print)
Otto

Big Grin

To calibrate any newer TV sets, you enter a special code on the remote or on the panel to get it into a "service menu". From the service menu you can adjust widths/heights/other things. This is different for each brand and maybe model of TV. I found the code/method to get to my TV's service menu after a lot of google searching, I suggest you try the same.

If the TV doesn't have onscreen menus, then you may not be able to adjust these settings via a service menu, and will probably want to contact a TV repair shop to find information about this type of adjustment.

BTW, be careful in the service menus! You can screw up your TV royally, as in damage the tube. If you don't know what a setting means, leave it be, eh?

------------------
Everything I say is my opinion and not necessarily a statement of fact. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett
Otto is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-10-2001, 03:26 AM   #57 (Print)
rasheed

Big Grin

In reference to Otto's remarks:
http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh/how2adj.html

Also, as previously mentioned, this is not something to take lightly if it seems difficult to understand. Our TiVos are nothing without or TV.

Rasheed
rasheed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-10-2001, 08:25 AM   #58 (Print)
mschwab

Big Grin

Geez! And all I wanted was a simple vertical size adjustment!
(Let's see, to get into service mode it's set input to cable, set something else to 30, dial in channel 124, then pat your head, rub your belly, and chew gum all at the same time, while hopping on one foot during a solar eclipse! )

Thanks, guys. I searched and found the Panasonic codes (same one the last URL posted eventually points to), but I haven't tried it on my TV yet.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mschwab (edited 07-10-2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 03:00 PM   #59 (Print)
Dan Herrmann II

Big Grin

Sorry for shouting, but this is important...

IF YOU DECIDE TO CHANGE YOUR TV'S SERVICE MODE SETTINGS, WRITE DOWN THE ORIGINAL VALUES SO YOU CAN REVERT IF NEEDED!

Old 07-20-2001, 01:10 PM   #60 (Print)
eakawie

Send a message via Yahoo to eakawie
Big Grin

Bump.
eakawie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post