TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 02-07-2002, 02:55 PM   #151 (Print)
MyM3

I guess it helps to read and understand the original post: "E-E stands for 'Enter Enter' " (I feel like such an idiot).
That being said, can you please explain what manually setting the E-E-Rewind "Offset" & E-E-FastForward "Delay" actually does? Say I'm watching Letterman and want to FFx2 thru the commercials and when I hit Play I'd like it to resume playing at approximately where I hit the button, not 15-20 seconds before the last commercial is over. Will manually setting the FF "Delay" make my DirecTiVo stop close to where I want it?

One more thing: When I enter the "Offset and Delay" settings in the Search By Title screen do I have to enter anything after the number? Should there be a space after Offset: or Delay:? Example: is Offset:750 - no space - correct?

G. Gordon Liddy
MyM3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-07-2002, 03:36 PM   #152 (Print)
groundcrack
Advanced Member

All you have to enter is the number, with no spaces

Example, Offset:1000

After hitting the last zero you NEED TO hit E-E-Rewind again. You can go back immediatly, if you want, then do the delay the same way(except hit EE-FF after setting it to 750).

The last thing you need to do to make it work is go to "Now Showing" play a recording, then HIT PAUSE, then Hit Frame advance(FF) once. That activates the changes.

1000 & 750 are pretty good settings. It's hard to try to adjust them. I've tried some other settings, and couldn't make them much better. Of cource I always hit FF three times for full speed FF'ing, so maybe some other settings would better suit your for FFx2?
groundcrack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-07-2002, 08:54 PM   #153 (Print)
MyM3

What are the default settings for FF & REW? I have been experimenting with everything from 100-750 for the FF Delay and 750 is probably what I'll stay with. For those who don't know you can use the number keys on your remote instead of the on-screen keypad in Search by Title.

Thank you, groundcrack, for tolerating my questions!

G. Gordon Liddy
Old 02-07-2002, 11:29 PM   #154 (Print)
groundcrack
Advanced Member

Quote:
For those who don't know you can use the number keys on your remote instead of the on-screen keypad in Search by Title.

Yea, I always used them for the 1000 & 750 settings, but for some reason it took a few trys before realizing that I could use them for the 2.5 backdoor code
Old 02-08-2002, 06:07 PM   #155 (Print)
Zil6971

Send a message via AIM to Zil6971
myM3

I did read through the first posting that Otto put up and I didn't see what each code does. Maybe I'm overlooking this. Or maybe I didn't ask my question properly. I would like to know what the "backdoor" is and what it's function becomes once you activate it. I did use some of the codes and I found out what they did. The backdoor is what I'm having a hard time understanding because this is not explained in the first thread.
Zil6971 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-08-2002, 06:33 PM   #156 (Print)
MyM3

Lightbulb I am by no means an expert

but if you think of the backdoor codes as being somewhat analogous to the Linux "open" source-code OS then maybe it will become more clear to you. It's just customising certain functions, and it is up to you to determine whether or not it's worthwhile. It's a little like hacking, for your own benefit. For example, setting the Delay & Offset to be perfect for me is quite tedious, in my opinion, but once it is "right" (for me) I will be very happy.

Once the backdoor is open you can perhaps glean a little insight on the original code writers. The function of the backdoor when closed is to have you, the consumer, use your TiVo in exactly the manner that the engineers, market researchers, and focus groups intended. The function of an open backdoor is to allow you to pick and choose which functions/commands/displays that you like and, in some cases, to alter their modality to suit your needs.

G. Gordon Liddy

Last edited by MyM3 : 02-14-2002 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2002, 09:09 AM   #157 (Print)
wolf183

Cable Box - RF BLASTER

I was wondering if there is away to get after market cable boxes to work. I called Tivo - they said that my box was not supported. Is there anyway to get around this?
wolf183 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-09-2002, 01:03 PM   #158 (Print)
MyM3

Re: Cable Box - RF BLASTER

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf183
I was wondering if there is away to get after market cable boxes to work. I called Tivo - they said that my box was not supported. Is there anyway to get around this?

Try asking in the Underground and/or Happy Hour (even Help) forums. Sorry, I have DirecTiVo so I don't have a ready answer.

G. Gordon Liddy
Old 02-14-2002, 02:57 PM   #159 (Print)
Otto

Quote:
Originally posted by MyM3
What are the default settings for FF & REW? I have been experimenting with everything from 100-750 for the FF Delay and 750 is probably what I'll stay with. For those who don't know you can use the number keys on your remote instead of the on-screen keypad in Search by Title.

I don't think you fully understand:

Offset and Delay are parameters you are setting. Think of them as variables. Somehow, the Tivo does a calculation which tells it how far to "jump back" after you press the button. These are a couple of the variables in that calculation. So, no, you cannot set the jumpback exactly because we don't really know what the calculation it's doing actually is.

Also, there's no "FF Delay" and "RW Delay", there's just Delay. There's also just Offset. The same variables are used in the calculations for all of the jump settings, so changing them changes it for all speeds, all directions.

Both variables matter. Offset of 1000 and Delay of 750 fits most people. The idea is that you adjust to fit your needs, yeah?
Otto is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-14-2002, 03:22 PM   #160 (Print)
MyM3

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto

I don't think you fully understand:

Offset and Delay are parameters you are setting. Think of them as variables. Somehow, the Tivo does a calculation which tells it how far to "jump back" after you press the button. These are a couple of the variables in that calculation. So, no, you cannot set the jumpback exactly because we don't really know what the calculation it's doing actually is.

Also, there's no "FF Delay" and "RW Delay", there's just Delay. There's also just Offset. The same variables are used in the calculations for all of the jump settings, so changing them changes it for all speeds, all directions.

Both variables matter. Offset of 1000 and Delay of 750 fits most people. The idea is that you adjust to fit your needs, yeah?

I'm more confused than ever now. I think that I was associating Delay with FF because that button is pressed, and Offset with REW because I am pushing the Rewind button. Which controls (to the extent possible) the amount of "jump back": Offset or Delay? Or is it a combination of the 2 settings?

G. Gordon Liddy
Old 02-16-2002, 11:55 AM   #161 (Print)
mogway
Chinpoko Master

Question Is there a code for this setting??

I just started using the DirecTV/Tivo combo box with 2.5 installed .. the codes listed work great (thanks OTTO!!) .. however there is one setting I would like to adjust that I don't see listed --

I'd like to be able to adjust the number of minutes before a half hour that the Tivo guide starts on the next half hour. Right now if I turn on the guide at 8:29 it gives me the 8:00 guide ... I'd like to set it to switch to the next half hour, say 10 minutes before .. so if I hit the guide button at 8:20 the guide data starts at 8:30.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?

Thanks!
mogway is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2002, 07:21 PM   #162 (Print)
fecund

CCF file?

Anyone have a pronto ccf file with the backdoors coded in it?

Old 02-19-2002, 08:39 AM   #163 (Print)
tivosoon

I've read through all nine pages, and although I saw this question approximately asked, I didn't see it definitely answered.

Is there any way to make changes made through backdoor codes stick when backdoor mode is off?

I have a two year old who bings and bongs away happily on the TiVo remote. I certainly don't want to leave backdoors enabled. Can I enable backdoors mode, adjust the FF/Rewind overshoot, and take TiVo out of backdoors mode (presumably by restarting) without losing the adjustment?

TIA for any replies, and in not-A for the original useful post!
tivosoon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-21-2002, 04:00 PM   #164 (Print)
Otto

Quote:
Originally posted by MyM3
I'm more confused than ever now. I think that I was associating Delay with FF because that button is pressed, and Offset with REW because I am pushing the Rewind button. Which controls (to the extent possible) the amount of "jump back": Offset or Delay? Or is it a combination of the 2 settings?

Err.. Why must you ask the hard ones?

It's a combination of the two, but nobody's quite figured out *exactly* what they mean. We know that if you adjust them then the jumpback changes. That's about it. If you figure how exactly by how much the jumpback changes, then let us know.

So to answer your question, yes.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:02 PM   #165 (Print)
Otto

Re: Is there a code for this setting??

Quote:
Originally posted by mogway
I'd like to be able to adjust the number of minutes before a half hour that the Tivo guide starts on the next half hour. Right now if I turn on the guide at 8:29 it gives me the 8:00 guide ... I'd like to set it to switch to the next half hour, say 10 minutes before .. so if I hit the guide button at 8:20 the guide data starts at 8:30.

Yeah, you don't. This "feature" of the standalone Tivo's (which uses the 5 min mark) is disabled on D-Tivo's due to DirecTV's rules for receiver behavior (I think) and can't be enabled or adjusted.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:05 PM   #166 (Print)
Otto

Quote:
Originally posted by tivosoon
Is there any way to make changes made through backdoor codes stick when backdoor mode is off?

I have a two year old who bings and bongs away happily on the TiVo remote. I certainly don't want to leave backdoors enabled. Can I enable backdoors mode, adjust the FF/Rewind overshoot, and take TiVo out of backdoors mode (presumably by restarting) without losing the adjustment?

Errr.. yes, but the method by which you do such is not an easy one.

Essentially, there's two environment variables on the Tivo which control the offset and delay. To adjust them you need to remove your drive from the unit, hack yourself a bash prompt on the serial port, and either set the variables in the boot parameters (will survive software upgrades) or set them at the top of the rc.sysinit (will not survive software upgrades).

More info here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...&threadid=22102

For details on how to do all this sort of thing, read the Hack FAQ.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:58 AM   #167 (Print)
Szyslak

Re: Is there a code for this setting??

Quote:
Originally posted by mogway

Thanks!

If there is not a code to do this, you can manually adjust it by pressing display on the tivo guide and adjusting the time forward to the next half hour.

This would be a great suggestion for Tivo. Most Tivo users are looking for shows in the future and not much for what has already been on for 20 minutes or so. Tivo could add this preference to their guide and wouldn't have any effect on the directv guide.
Szyslak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2002, 08:10 AM   #168 (Print)
JWN

Re: Re: Is there a code for this setting??

Quote:
Originally posted by Szyslak

If there is not a code to do this, you can manually adjust it by pressing display on the tivo guide and adjusting the time forward to the next half hour.

An even quicker fix is to just hit the FF button. At least this works on my DirecTiVo. REW works to take you back, too.

I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. --Lloyd Dobler
JWN is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-07-2002, 06:20 PM   #169 (Print)
vikeincheezland

a great big thank you to all

of you who have given me the info to better utilize my tivo

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
vikeincheezland is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-08-2002, 02:11 PM   #170 (Print)
trewitt

Setting the clock

The "settime" format mentioned is 12 digits: YYYYMMDDHHMM. It is in UTC (a.k.a. GMT) so, for example, to enter March 8, 2002, 10:45am in California, you would enter "200203081845". (Add 8 hours for US pacific time, 5 hours for US eastern, etc.)

Old 03-08-2002, 02:25 PM   #171 (Print)
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Re: Setting the clock

Quote:
Originally posted by trewitt
The "settime" format mentioned is 12 digits: YYYYMMDDHHMM. It is in UTC (a.k.a. GMT) so, for example, to enter March 8, 2002, 10:45am in California, you would enter "200203081845". (Add 8 hours for US pacific time, 5 hours for US eastern, etc.)

And don't forget to carry the day (when applicable).

Actually, I wonder what would happen if you put in 200203082845. Is it smart enough to convert it to 200203090445? Or other range errors (20020229...)?

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2002, 03:55 AM   #172 (Print)
Jay Bozich

Cool S-P-S-Pause-S

quote:
S-P-S-Pause-S - Toggles the fast disappear of the Play bar. Appears to have no other major effect, but who knows?
unqoute:

I found this also makes the play bar go away when you have it in pause.
It stays on other wise.
Nice plus I guess.

Now if there was one to make to blue channel bar at the top to go away a little quicker.
I still want to see it mind you but not for as long as it stays up there.

Tends to get in the way.

Jay B
Jay Bozich is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-11-2002, 03:26 PM   #173 (Print)
TheMerk
This Space For Rent

Quote:
- Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Record - Do it from the Tivo Central main menu to get the "MenuItem Back Door". It shows the current date in both the number of days since Jan. 1st, 1970 (an internal date format) and also in the normal style. Not sure of the purpose here. This also seems to do something (don't know what) if you do it from the Showcases screen.

Doing this in Showcases on my SA Phillips did something. I now have a bunch of new Showcases listed. BMW, NFL and the Tivo Series 2 Showcases all are visible now. Selecting them reveals that they have "No Program". Could it be that Tivo has already downloaded these logos to the units, in preperation for next TeleWorld, and doing this code merely activates the Showcases early?

Old 03-17-2002, 08:17 AM   #174 (Print)
goldfndr

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMerk

Doing this in Showcases on my SA Phillips did something. I now have a bunch of new Showcases listed. BMW, NFL and the Tivo Series 2 Showcases all are visible now. Selecting them reveals that they have "No Program". Could it be that Tivo has already downloaded these logos to the units, in preperation for next TeleWorld, and doing this code merely activates the Showcases early?
Not only that, TLC, Animal Planet, and Travel also reappear, although the listings don't appear to have refreshed. No E! or Showtime eXtreme, though.

Also, Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, Record - in the Tivo Central main menu has a much-expanded entry. The neat thing is that the menu title toggles between the last two entries each time you press the TiVo button to see it (at this hour anyway), and each entry goes to a separate location in Showcases (although, curiously, the "abcoscars" goes to the top level rather than the submenu (presumably due to "2/tivo/main"). I could swear I saw the Coppola in TiVo Central at one time but now I can't reproduce it.
goldfndr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-17-2002, 08:42 PM   #175 (Print)
statman94

some clarification, please

if this has been answered elsewhere, i apologize in advance. please point me to the reply.

for the 30 second skip toggle (S-P-S-3-0-S), i thought i read one does not have to be in backdoor mode. if not, at what menu would this code be entered?

thanks in advance.

statman94 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-17-2002, 10:53 PM   #176 (Print)
cudooza
Tivo User

You enter that code while you watch a recorded show.

Old 03-21-2002, 01:46 PM   #177 (Print)
BigFan

Parental lock disable ??

Can you tell me if there is a disable for the parental lock for the Phillips DSR6000 ??

Thanks
BigFan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-21-2002, 02:08 PM   #178 (Print)
RMorris419
Old School Member

yup. 1 (877) FOR TIVO

Old 03-21-2002, 04:13 PM   #179 (Print)
BigFan

Smile

Thanks Done !!!

"I didn't know that I was that far gone"
BigFan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-22-2002, 04:45 PM   #180 (Print)
groundcrack
Advanced Member

Quote:
if this has been answered elsewhere, i apologize in advance. please point me to the reply.

for the 30 second skip toggle (S-P-S-3-0-S), i thought i read one does not have to be in backdoor mode. if not, at what menu would this code be entered?

Just enter it while watching a recorded show(or maybe live tv?). You don't enter it in any menu. You DO need to be using version 2.5 or 1.3....Not 2.0... Listen for the bong noises to confirm that it was accepted.