Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2005, 07:16 PM   #1 (Print)
Athenian

How can I unhack my TiVo?

I used the Unguide to hack my series 2 TiVo but I need to reverse the part where I changed the routing address to block calling. I know why it was there and I understand the consequences but I need to do this.

What commands do I use to remove the routes I added to the boot page (step 16)? I think I want to undo step 6b too.

Thank you.
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 07:28 PM   #2 (Print)
kramerboy
Jelly Man

you can remove the route commands by editing your rc.sysinit.author file.

Why would you want to remove these? There isn't any reason that a hacked Tivo should be calling in.
kramerboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2005, 09:03 PM   #3 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerboy
you can remove the route commands by editing your rc.sysinit.author file.
I'm not a linux type -- exactly what do I do to reverse that?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:07 PM   #4 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

how did the unit get hacked in the 1st place?
The EASIEST WAY to unhack a Tivo is to buy a 20 dollar instantcake image and restore it to teh HD, boom hacks (and all recordings etc) gone.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 06:36 AM   #5 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
how did the unit get hacked in the 1st place?.
From my original message: " I followed the "Unguide"...
Quote:
The EASIEST WAY to unhack a Tivo is to buy a 20 dollar instantcake image and restore it to teh HD, boom hacks (and all recordings etc) gone
What kind of answer is that? You provided instructions to hack it but it's too much to ask what commands I need to use to reverse the "add route" commands? Why do I have to blow everything away? I did 3 machines, all I want to do is reverse this one thing on one of them and all I get is a bunch of grief just because you wouldn't want that?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:29 AM   #6 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

not giving grief, and if you followed the guide, and have hacked a tivo, you should now know enough about how to disable the route commands found in the rc.sysinit.author file.
All this is going to do, is let Tivo.com SEE your tivo, is this what you want, or is there something else specific you need done?
Disabling the hacks would mean reversing everything done:
1) replace the kilhdinitrd kernel with a stock one
2) remove the upgradesoftware=false flag from bootpage
3) delete the rc.sysinit author file
4) remove the hacks directory from /var or whereevr you may have put it
5) remove /busybox
6) replace the super patched tivoapp with the unpatched one.
What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

Last edited by Gunnyman : 10-19-2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 AM   #7 (Print)
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Send a message via AIM to mgmrick Send a message via Yahoo to mgmrick
No need to get testy here...let's assume he wants to sell this unit with out the hacks. Which is what he should do.

Now if you had followed gunny's unguide as you state this is a simple process. As stated in the guide " Make a backup of your orginal drive or buy a new drive" If something goes wrong use your backup drive. So just put your orginal drive in or use your backup you made.

Thanks
Rick

HMO,MRV,2.0 USB,CALLERID,Serial Cable,160Gig Hardrive
gunny's unguide,rbautch scripts
mgmrick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 08:44 AM   #8 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

ding ding ding we HAVE a winner

Old 10-19-2005, 08:51 AM   #9 (Print)
Nfuego
Finally-My ugly mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenian
What kind of answer is that? You provided instructions to hack it but it's too much to ask what commands I need to use to reverse the "add route" commands? Why do I have to blow everything away? I did 3 machines, all I want to do is reverse this one thing on one of them and all I get is a bunch of grief just because you wouldn't want that?

Wow! For someone wanting help, you sure are going about it the wrong way!
Nfuego is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 08:58 AM   #10 (Print)
Lopey

Angry

Quote:
From my original message: " I followed the "Unguide"...What kind of answer is that? You provided instructions to hack it but it's too much to ask what commands I need to use to reverse the "add route" commands? Why do I have to blow everything away? I did 3 machines, all I want to do is reverse this one thing on one of them and all I get is a bunch of grief just because you wouldn't want that?

I don't understand your rudness. People are TRYING to help you, and you thank them by posting this? If you told us WHY you are doing what you want to do, people would be able to help you more, or come up with a workaround for what you are trying to accomplish. You did not say that you wanted to save things. I also believe that Gunny's unguide tells you how to ADD the routes.. why don't you just follow these steps again and DELETE the routes.

Gunny is one of the most helpfull people on this site. If there is a post with questions, you are almost certain to see Gunny responding and trying to help.
Lopey is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #11 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Kumbyah my Lord, Kumbyah.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #12 (Print)
Philly Bill
Outsider :)

Send a message via AIM to Philly Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Philly Bill
Quote:
...all I get is a bunch of grief just because you wouldn't want that?

Dude. Chill.

I would'nt even answer anyone that 'talked' to ME that way.

Lighten up Francis.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:38 AM   #13 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

I may be wrong, but if he plugs it into a phone line, won't it "unhack" itself on the next phonecall/service download? Then if he want to be creative he can rehack it and adlib the process.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #14 (Print)
ttodd1
Computer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmrick
No need to get testy here...let's assume he wants to sell this unit with out the hacks. Which is what he should do.

Now if you had followed gunny's unguide as you state this is a simple process. As stated in the guide " Make a backup of your orginal drive or buy a new drive" If something goes wrong use your backup drive. So just put your orginal drive in or use your backup you made.

Thanks
Rick

I don't think he is wanting to unhack his unit since he twice has said "all I want to do is reverse this one thing on one of them"

And the answers were given, either edit the file or blow it all away.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #15 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopey
People are TRYING to help you, and you thank them by posting this?
Excuse me but I didn't see any helpfulness whatsoever in most of these replies. What I see is that most replied without actually reading my post. I asked a very specific question and not one of the replies here actually addressed it.
Quote:
I also believe that Gunny's unguide tells you how to ADD the routes.. why don't you just follow these steps again and DELETE the routes.
Is that the actual command -- "DELETE"? If so, I can certainly do that but how was I to know that it wasn't REMOVE, CHANGE, or something else? As I said, I'm not a Linux type, that's why I asked "How do I remove the routes..."
Quote:
Gunny is one of the most helpfull people on this site. If there is a post with questions, you are almost certain to see Gunny responding and trying to help.
I found Gunny's guide to be very helpful indeed and I much appreciate it. His response to my question here though was not helpful at all. I stated that I had followed his guide and and wanted to reverse one commands. His reply was that I could pull drive, etc. -- I'm sorry but that is not my idea of helpful.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #16 (Print)
Lopey

Instead of slamming people for trying to help you, why don't you just ask them to explain it further, you may be surprised as to how people will react if you actually try to be nice. I know that I for one, will not be trying to help you anymore with the attitude that you have.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #17 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
I may be wrong, but if he plugs it into a phone line, won't it "unhack" itself on the next phonecall/service download? Then if he want to be creative he can rehack it and adlib the process.
No, that's the point of the re-routing -- the TiVo can't call out. And there's another command in the instructions that disables auto-update.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #18 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttodd1
I don't think he is wanting to unhack his unit....
Well then I wonder why the thread title is "How can I unhack my Tivo?"

Gunny, its time to invoke the philosophy/mantra of DDB. "Search, Grasshopper!!"
Old 10-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #19 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Instead of slamming people for trying to help you, why don't you just ask them to explain it further, you may be surprised as to how people will react if you actually try to be nice. I know that I for one, will not be trying to help you anymore with the attitude that you have.
I did ask for further details in -- in post #3 and got a lot of comments that didn't have anything to do with the actual question and you think I'm rude?

Yours was the only response that provided even a glimmer of help -- if the DELETE command is what I need to use when I edit the rc.init author file then that's fine, I can go ahead and fix this one machine.

Last edited by Athenian : 10-19-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #20 (Print)
Lopey

Quote:
What kind of answer is that?

If that's not rude........
Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM   #21 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
If that's not rude........
What I think is rude, is replying without actually reading the message.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #22 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
No, that's the point of the re-routing -- the TiVo can't call out. And there's another command in the instructions that disables auto-update.
I'm positive that your first sentence is "dead wrong". The re-routing keeps it from "calling home" via the network. It can still use the phone line to call home (and if you look in "system information" you will see that it tries almost every day)- that's why everybody says to keep the phone line unplugged. If it phones home tivo will recognize that it is not running the software that it is expecting and it will download theirs.
As to sentence #2 - I have looked again at the unguide and I still don't see any command that disables auto-update.
I am beginning to understand the reasons that DDB is the way it is more every day.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #23 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

I'll say it again...
Disabling the hacks would mean reversing everything done:
1) replace the kilhdinitrd kernel with a stock one
2) remove the upgradesoftware=false flag from bootpage
3) delete the rc.sysinit author file
4) remove the hacks directory from /var or whereevr you may have put it
5) remove /busybox
6) replace the super patched tivoapp with the unpatched one.

What are you trying to accomplish exactly?

Sounds like you are wanting a software upgrade.
There ISN"T one. 6.2 is the current release.
I asked the questions I asked, because "using the unguide" wasn't much of an answer. I mean is that ALL you've done, did you do it yourself? Seems to me if you had done the hacks yourself, you would have been able to answer your own questions. I mean you were able to create and edit the author file in the first place, correct? and you added "upgradesoftware=false" to the bootpage, right? Seems to me some deductive reasoning should kick in somehwere, hence my asking the questions I asked.
Your question, as it stands has been answered. If further explanation is required, then you are going to have to be a bit more cooperative here and tell us what it is you are wanting to accomplish.
If you are wanting to sell the unit, then I stand by original answer, the easist way to unhack the unit is to re-image it using either the backup you made because you followed the unguide, or with instantcake.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #24 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
I'm positive that your first sentence is "dead wrong". The re-routing keeps it from "calling home" via the network. It can still use the phone line to call home (and if you look in "system information" you will see that it tries almost every day)- that's why everybody says to keep the phone line unplugged.
One of my hacked machines is not connected to the network and cannot call out. We are getting a nuisance message everyday and everytime we bring up Now Playing. It is connected to the telephone line but forcing doesn't work either. I want to let it call until we cable that room. When that's done, I'll telnet back into the machine or, if if it's been updated in the meantime, redo it.
Quote:
As to sentence #2 - I have looked again at the unguide and I still don't see any command that disables auto-update.:
Step 6b: this step enables console bash and prevents tivo software from upgrading by itself in the future
Old 10-19-2005, 11:36 AM   #25 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Athenian, that's easy to deal with
Get it networked long enough to telnet in and run fakecall.tcl from a bash prompt.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #26 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

routes is networking
if its not networked and you want it to call out HOOK UP a PHONE LINE!
You can dial out to get rid of the nag screen without doing ANYTHING to teh tivo
(and if you had asked that in the 1st place, this thread would not have turned into what it did)

Old 10-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #27 (Print)
Lopey

Once again.. The routes have nothing to do with the phone calls. The routes are for network communitations. Now that we know what you are trying to accomplish, like everyone has been asking for, we can now help you. If you had stated this in your original post, we would have been done already. There is nothing in the hacks that prevent's the tivo from calling out, there is something that is suppose to run that makes the Tivo think it has called out, but it doesn't disable the ability. There is a problem somewhere else. If you try the phone troubleshooting process, using the tivo menus what do you get?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #28 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
routes is networking
if its not networked and you want it to call out HOOK UP a PHONE LINE!
You can dial out to get rid of the nag screen without doing ANYTHING to teh tivo
(and if you had asked that in the 1st place, this thread would not have turned into what it did)
It is connected to a phone line but it cannot call out -- I can't even force a telephone call.

If the routing is not what is blocking it, where else should I look?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:46 AM   #29 (Print)
ttodd1
Computer Geek

Quote:
One of my hacked machines is not connected to the network and cannot call out. We are getting a nuisance message everyday and everytime we bring up Now Playing. It is connected to the telephone line but forcing doesn't work either. I want to let it call until we cable that room. When that's done, I'll telnet back into the machine or, if if it's been updated in the meantime, redo it. Step 6b: this step enables console bash and prevents tivo software from upgrading by itself in the future

Removing the route lines from the author file will not fix that.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #30 (Print)
ttodd1
Computer Geek

Quote:
It is connected to a phone line but it cannot call out -- I can't even force a telephone call.

If the routing is not what is blocking it, where else should I look?

Are you sure it is plugged into a working jack? If you put a phone there can you dial out on it? What is the reason the Tivo gives for the failed call? Are you using VOIP for your phone service?