THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #31 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athenian
It is connected to a phone line but it cannot call out -- I can't even force a telephone call.

If the routing is not what is blocking it, where else should I look?

Telephone jack possibly not working, or a dead modem.
The hacks in the unguide don't do anything to the modem in the Tivo.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #32 (Print)
Lopey

See what happens when you provide details.... Should I even ask if this qualifies as help?
Lopey is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #33 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttodd1
....What is the reason the Tivo gives for the failed call?.....
Todd1's onto it - this is the next piece of info we need. Gunny's last post is "dead on", the hacks have nothing to do with your phone out problem.

I'd tell you to do a search on problems re: phone connections, but then I'd sound like plainbill!
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #34 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Are you sure it is plugged into a working jack? If you put a phone there can you dial out on it? What is the reason the Tivo gives for the failed call? Are you using VOIP for your phone service?
Yes, it is a working jack (to a land line)-- and the TiVo was using it without any problem before I hacked it.

I just tried forcing a call again and it turns out that it is dialing but it never connects -- it fails while negotiating.
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 12:03 PM   #35 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

do you happen to have Vonage Or some other VOIP service?
If so, and your modem is functioning, you might as well hook the box to the network and run fakecall.tcl and reboot once a week.
Tivo and VOIP seldom worky.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #36 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Hold it, if he's getting a nag message on phone calls, hasn't he already lost his hacks?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #37 (Print)
ttodd1
Computer Geek

Have you tried a different number to call in, could be a bad modem on their end.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #38 (Print)
Lopey

try a different call in number, see if you get the same problem
Old 10-19-2005, 12:08 PM   #39 (Print)
Lopey

p.s. i like your sig ttodd1
Old 10-19-2005, 12:09 PM   #40 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
Hold it, if he's getting a nag message on phone calls, hasn't he already lost his hacks?

wow yes
good point Willard
either th eunit is no longer hacked anyway, or he didn't run superpatch, which supresses nags.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:10 PM   #41 (Print)
Lopey

how to unhack a tivo that hasn't been hacked..... 41 responses later....
Old 10-19-2005, 12:11 PM   #42 (Print)
Nfuego
Finally-My ugly mug

Quote:
Excuse me but I didn't see any helpfulness whatsoever in most of these replies. What I see is that most replied without actually reading my post. I asked a very specific question and not one of the replies here actually addressed it.

This attitude makes it seem that you think people here are REQUIRED to help you. Don't assume that. These people are taking time out of their day to help you out of the goodness of their heart...and you reply with attitude and disgust because it isn't quick or precise enough for you?
Nfuego is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #43 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfuego
This attitude makes it seem that you think people here are REQUIRED to help you. Don't assume that. These people are taking time out of their day to help you out of the goodness of their heart...and you reply with attitude and disgust because it isn't quick or precise enough for you?
I don't assumne that anyone is required to help. I do assume that if someone is going to take the time to respond, he/she can at least read the entire message.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #44 (Print)
ttodd1
Computer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopey
p.s. i like your sig ttodd1

Most people don't but I find it useful in my line of work. Keeps me calm (most of the time).

Old 10-19-2005, 12:13 PM   #45 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

AKA How to unhack a tivo without really trying

Old 10-19-2005, 12:14 PM   #46 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfuego
I don't assumne that anyone is required to help. I do feel that if someone is going to reply, he/she can at least read the entire message.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #47 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Todd1's onto it - this is the next piece of info we need. Gunny's last post is "dead on", the hacks have nothing to do with your phone out problem.

I'd tell you to do a search on problems re: phone connections, but then I'd sound like plainbill!
I just plugged one of the networked machines and tried to force a call. it has the same problem -- failed while negotiating. I never had any nags and never noticed anything.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #48 (Print)
kramerboy
Jelly Man

Quote:
One of my hacked machines is not connected to the network and cannot call out. We are getting a nuisance message everyday and everytime we bring up Now Playing. [/u][/b]

Are you talking about the nag stating that the unit hasn't called in in "x" number of days? If so, this nag should have been disabled during the hacking process.

Did you run superpatch on the unit? This would disable the nag before Now Playing asking for the unit to call in.
kramerboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #49 (Print)
Nfuego
Finally-My ugly mug

Quote:
I don't assumne that anyone is required to help. I do feel that if someone is going to reply, he/she can at least read the entire message.

It seems that the good people here are trying to help you out as much as possible. I'm sorry I jumped on the bash bandwagon. I am sure you are very frustrated with your machine right now and are in a slight state of desperation, but I truly feel the way you handled with questions earlier was a bit off. Hopefully everyone can get your machine up and running very soon for you. Good luck to you!
Nfuego is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #50 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

and we can assume the help-ee will answer questions
I mean sure maybe some details got glossed over in a reply
but dang it, answer HALF the PM's EMAILS, IM's and posts that I do and see if maybe just MAYBE you get a bit blurry eyed, especially at 10 PM when your kid just got done screaming all day because she's sick.
I mean help here is two way street.
You want help, expect to have to repeat yourself from time to time. Lord knows I do.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:20 PM   #51 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Have you tried a different number to call in, could be a bad modem on their end.
I'm afraid I don't know how to change the telephone number if it can't connect to download the list.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:21 PM   #52 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

meanwhile there are plenty of other people here who can offer help, since you don't seem to want to answer MY questions, I'm done.
Good luck with that (oh and I suspect you have phone line issues in your home)
man I wish this board had a "sewer"

Old 10-19-2005, 12:22 PM   #53 (Print)
ttodd1
Computer Geek

Quote:
I just plugged one of the networked machines and tried to force a call. it has the same problem -- failed while negotiating. I never had any nags and never noticed anything.

Then back to the original statement: Have you tried a different number to call in on??

Old 10-19-2005, 12:25 PM   #54 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Boy, there's nothing more dangerous than somebody with a little information that doesn't know how to use it.
IF the machine had managed to connect it would have proceeded to download the regular 6.2 and you would have lost your hacks on it.
No, you wouldn't have had any nags on it - it is hacked, they don't display the nag messages.
You did prove however that the problem is probably not the modem on the box that you want to call in. Two folks have asked you if you use VOIP or Vonnage but you haven't answered them - if you want to have folks help your diagnose your problem you need to cooperate and answer the diagnostic questions that are posed. You were told to try a different number - your approach was to try a different tivo - not exactly protocol.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:25 PM   #55 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
wow yes
good point Willard
either th eunit is no longer hacked anyway, or he didn't run superpatch, which supresses nags.
I followed the instructions exactly and all the confirmations matched the outline. We have MRV (which was what we wanted) on the two networked machines. I also tested this one before I put it back in its location and it still has the extra Music and Pictures entries on the menu.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:27 PM   #56 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Two folks have asked you if you use VOIP or Vonnage but you haven't answered them - if you want to have folks help your diagnose your problem you need to cooperate and answer the diagnostic questions that are posed.
I'm sorry, I did state that the connection is a land line. I don't have any VOIP service.
Quote:
You were told to try a different number - your approach was to try a different tivo - not exactly protocol.
And I did say that I don't know how to change the number other than using the TiVo procedure to download the list and find another one in the area code. If there is some way to directly enter a number, I'd be happy to try that.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:27 PM   #57 (Print)
ttodd1
Computer Geek

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know how to change the telephone number if it can't connect to download the list.

How long have you been trying to phone in on it? Just today? If so then, as stated before, they could be having a modem problem on their end. If not, then there seems to be as Gunny said a line problem in your house. Have you tried a different phone cord?

Old 10-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #58 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
I'm not anywhere near my tivo right now (I should be working at my office). But IIRC you can redo set up and it will first call an 800 # to get you the list of numbers. You are presently trying to hookup with a local number - and apparently it has some problem.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #59 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
How long have you been trying to phone in on it? Just today? If so then, as stated before, they could be having a modem problem on their end. If not, then there seems to be as Gunny said a line problem in your house. Have you tried a different phone cord?
I got into this because we've had this nag screen for a couple of weeks and finally got tired of it. I don't it's a problem with the line -- we have 2 numbers and the networked one I just tested is on the other line.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #60 (Print)
Lopey

I think the easiest thing to do, is pull the drive out and try running the superpatch again, if the drive needs to be hacked, then hack it while the drive is out. Either that or continue on trying to fix the phone issue. Something that you won't use once the tivo is hacked anyway. In other words.. if you plan on wireing the room for networking and you want the tivo hacked, why don't you troubleshoot the fake call, instead of wasting your time with the phone line.

Unfortunately, with your attitude if you do try and hack it and you have problems, one of the best troubleshooters has been turned off from helping you.

As another side note, if both of your tivo's are calling the same number...chances are it may be on the other end.