THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2005, 08:42 AM   #121 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
My captioning turns on whenever I hit mute. I just jump back a few seconds, then hit mute, see what I want to see, unmute, and carry on! Works great!

You don't have HD, do you?

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 08:45 AM   #122 (Print)
jlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
According to TV.com, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje's character is named Dr. Ako.

So the usable of the few anagrams of Dr. Ako are:

A DR OK

RAD OK

ARK DO

If you spell out Doctor and use that, or Mister, with Ako, you get a lot of possible anagrams......

Old 10-20-2005, 08:48 AM   #123 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

As my Hurricane Katrina forced nomadic existence is starting to come to a close (in a new house last Friday, got DirecTV hooked up Tuesday) I'll be able to immerse myself in Lost again.

As it is, I missed last Wednesday's episode, so for the first time, I'm watching episodes out of order.

I considered obtaining a copy of last week's before watching this week's to avoid seeing them out of order, but I couldn't resist.

I need to get a BIG antenna put up before I'll be seeing them in HD again (but I do have a new HR10-250 hooked up, to replace the one that got flooded). I'm about 45 miles from the transmitter. Hopefully, I'll get that done this weekend. (DirecTV's installers are backlogged until February around here. Self install is the only option. Fortunately, I'm capable, just super time-constrained.)

Anyway, not the best episode, IMHO, but I feel I was missing something having missed one.

I really like Cynthia Watros. Great addition to the cast!

Spoiler Alert! (highlight to read)

If one of the female principals has to get killed, I do hope it's Shannon, frankly. Of the female leads, she's my least favorite. The newcomers Ana-Lucia (Michelle Rodriguez), and Libby (Cynthia Watros) I really like already.

So: Got phone and DirecTV hooked up Tuesday.

Got internet hooked up Wednesday.

Yup...

Fish Man will be fully back soon!

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #124 (Print)
barhoram

Quote:
You don't have HD, do you?

works this way in HD with Media Center.
barhoram is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 AM   #125 (Print)
Test
Register User

guess theres another dr. on the island...jack better watch out

fishman, pay 1.99 and dl them from itunes...
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #126 (Print)
mask2343
Cable DVR convert

My guess as to which survivor gets offed: The lady from the new group who didn't speak a word the last 2 episodes. Was she wearing a red shirt?

Old 10-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #127 (Print)
jlb

[smeekoff]

Now, I know we have had posts where we entered the numbers as longitude and latitude, where you entered something like 48.151 62.342 or whatever, and end up with an island near Australia, right????

However, if you enter the numbers as 4.8151 and 6.2342 you end up in a port city in Nigeria. Now, IIRC, the maps Locke and Boone found in the plane were of Nigeria. And doesn't Mr. Ako have sort of a Nigerian accent. Ako sounds like it could be a typical name in Nigeria.......

http://mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com/?e...7c%26yt29%40%24

Old 10-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #128 (Print)
voripteth
User Advocate

Question

When will we find out more about the black smoke that drags people into the Earth?

Old 10-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #129 (Print)
El Gabito

Send a message via AIM to El Gabito
I found it overall to be somewhat slow and boring. There were a few suspenseful moments, but then there was no POW after them. I guess you have to expect a few slow episodes here and there, hopefully it picks up. The last couple episodes the previews have been the most interesting part.

Did anyone find it interesting how devastated Kate was over Sawyer? I guess it was one of those love-hate things. Also, did the new survivors bunker look unfinished to anyone? They showed it a little more this week than last week, and it almost seems as if maybe the Dharma Initiative shut down mid-project. This bunker appeared to have no purpose (did it have power?).

In regards to the previews:
I agree w/ the shannon thing. Hopefully it's her. From the previews I would suspect that she goes chasing after another walt vision (he sounded scarier this time) and something happens to her. Also, was it her and sayid or two others kissing?

Hopefully the next episode has some excitement.
El Gabito is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:10 AM   #130 (Print)
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

This was the lamest episode yet.

The plot was in a holding pattern - the episode ignored important issues like where is Desmond, what are they preventing every 108 minutes, and what color is Evangeline's bathing suit. The only real development was seeing that the others are not a figment of everyone's imagination. Not much to chew on for the next 3 weeks.

As the show wound down, my wife commented, "This show is getting irritating," and I had to agree.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #131 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Did anyone ever agree when Sawyer said "You were all in the back of the plane"?! Because while we have proof about Ana, the stewardess and Bernard ... there's no 100% indication that Eko/Ako/Echo/Ray Jay was. I was trying to place the supposed accent last night, and as jlb indicated above ... Nigerian sounds possible. He's a little too good at tracking and the like, and has almost an unnatural sense about the Others.

I didn't care much about the backstory, but I liked how they kept teasing us with orange items all the way through (they were drinking Orange Juice at the table at the 2nd date, Jin's flower).

How far apart can the camps really be if the current brought the raft right back near the tail section camp, and they immediately recognized the island from that angle as their own?
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #132 (Print)
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ
I thought the person holding the bear was white? I paused it and saw white legs. So I don't think it was Walt. Not to mention Mr. Eko said Walt wasn't with them. AND Walt did not have a bear with him before the kidnapping.

So my vote no WALT. Maybe the French chicks kid though....

Alex (the French kid) would be in her late teens, right? But I also don't think that was Walt. He doesn't seem like a teddy-bear kind of kid; he didn't even take the stuffed animal from Michael in the flashbacks a couple episodes ago. To me, the bear on a stick seemed like a lure; I think Walt got away, and is hiding in a cave where the opening is too small for the Others to get into.

Also, the Sun/Jin backstory was a simple romantic comedy. Seemed pretty weird in the middle of Lost, but there you go.

Final comment - I was a bit disappointed when Michael, Jin, and Sawyer survived the boat attack from the season closer. I thought we'd had enough from their characters already.
thenightfly42 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 AM   #133 (Print)
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchO
How far apart can the camps really be if the current brought the raft right back near the tail section camp, and they immediately recognized the island from that angle as their own?

I was also wondering how they decided to walk counterclockwise around the island to reach the main camp.
thenightfly42 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #134 (Print)
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
According to TV.com, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje's character is named Dr. Ako.

According to the recap on ABC.com, it's Mr. Eko.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #135 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth
When will we find out more about the black smoke that drags people into the Earth?

Tuesday

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:28 AM   #136 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
I listened to it 3 times in HD/5.1 and it wasn't clear at all. I considered turning on captioning to figure out what was said but deicded I didn't really care enough to go through the menus twice to turn it on and then back off.

I'm surprised people had difficulty with that. I had no problem understanding it the first time, and went back to double check only after it was asked about here.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:30 AM   #137 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

Was it a boar or "the monster" that knocked Jin over in the woods- I assumed boar when I saw it but couldn't really tell..

I agree- slow episode but they gave away a lot with the hatch so this is our "payback".

Another thing- the "Others" whose feet we saw seem to be different (more wild) than the people on the boat that stole Walt... The ones we saw last night were all in tattered clothes, dirty legs, etc. and it seemed like the people on the boat were more civilized. Also, if they were the same people, it would seem like the boat people would make sure to take their time making sure everyone on the boat was dead instead of just torching it.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:33 AM   #138 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe
I'm surprised people had difficulty with that. I had no problem understanding it the first time, and went back to double check only after it was asked about here.

Me too.

I haven't replaced my surround sound system yet. I was listening through fairly crappy built-in TV speakers in a room with a hardwood floor, no rug and very little furniture yet (so there's a nasty echo).

I heard, "You find Walt, Michael" quite clearly.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #139 (Print)
scheckeNYK

Anyone think the repetetive legs are some kind of freak-of-nature genetic engineering experiment? Maybe Dharma was making human quad-peds. Reminds me of the short stories "The Most Dangerous Game" and "The Island of Dr. Moreau."
scheckeNYK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:35 AM   #140 (Print)
LordKronos

Didn't one of the girls in the tail group say something about them having trust issues, and that's why they threw them in the hole? Might support the idea that someone disguised themself as a crash survivor, just like Ethan did.
LordKronos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #141 (Print)
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb
Ako sounds like it could be a typical name in Nigeria.......

I think I might have some spam from him

I don't recall seing the Nigerian coords mentioned before. It will be interesting to see if he ever mentions where he was from.
LordKronos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #142 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDG76
Was it a boar or "the monster" that knocked Jin over in the woods- I assumed boar when I saw it but couldn't really tell..

Looked like a boar to me.

Quote:
Another thing- the "Others" whose feet we saw seem to be different (more wild) than the people on the boat that stole Walt... The ones we saw last night were all in tattered clothes, dirty legs, etc. and it seemed like the people on the boat were more civilized. Also, if they were the same people, it would seem like the boat people would make sure to take their time making sure everyone on the boat was dead instead of just torching it.

I missed an episode, but I think the people the tail section survivors are so afraid of are very primitive. Some sort of "island natives" as it were. Perhaps descendants from people who crashed/shipwrecked on the island many years ago and have become completely "wild" and uncivilized. Perhaps they're descended the same group from which "our" castaways found bodies buried in caves that they determined had been there for "at least 40 years". Perhaps they're descended from the crew and slaves of the slave ship (which would have shipwrecked 150 years ago, at least).

I think the people in the boat that took Walt, are as you say, "more civilized". Perhaps they're leftovers from the canceled/floundering "Darhma experiment."

Ethan may have been from that, more civilized, group, or yet another group!

So, bottom line, there are multiple groups of "others" on the island!

Note that last season, Danielle initially assumed that Sayid was one of "the others". Perhaps she encounters "others" from various groups from time to time, and since some of them are clearly really malevolent, she has learned that any "stranger" is someone to be extremely wary of.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #143 (Print)
jlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos
I think I might have some spam from him

I don't recall seing the Nigerian coords mentioned before. It will be interesting to see if he ever mentions where he was from.

It will be interesting to watch for a quick peek at any of the drug statues anywhere in his camp, belongings, etc. But that would be way to easy.....

Old 10-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #144 (Print)
Lee L
Got Basenji?

Could Eko/Ako be Aboriginee?

I also think it was a boar that attacked Jin.

If it turns out to be Dr Ako, the best anagram is Radko. Maybe he has a stash of really expensive strangely colored christmas ornaments somewhere.

Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment.
Lee L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #145 (Print)
GDG76
hipster doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man
I think the people in the boat that took Walt, are as you say, "more civilized". Perhaps they're leftovers from the canceled/floundering "Darhma experiment."

I still think the lead guy in the boat is the lead researcher from the video (deGroot) from the Dharma project and the woman who threw the Malotov cocktail is his wife. At first I thought either that or deGroot and his wife were Adam and Eve, but someone said those ages didn't match up.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #146 (Print)
e30mpwrd

My wife pointed out that they seem to be setting up a bit of a spark between Ana and Sawyer. If and when they reach the main group, that should make for an interesting love triangle with freckles, potentially leaving Jack out in the cold and bitter... Then again, Jack seemed to have a spark with Ana in the airport.

I enjoyed the back story of Jin and Sun's meeting, and the tie in with finding something only when you're not searching. Not every episode can reveal secrets or dramatically advance the story. One aspect of this show that makes it great is the character development, and we learned quite a bit more about Jin--seeing his character and nature in opposition to the gangster we already knew he became. Not that it matters, but isn't this the first time we've had flashbacks from two survivor's memories in the same episode?

So the others have attacked and killed the second set of survivors to the point that they feel the need to constantly hide their location. Why haven't the others attacked / killed off a bunch of the main group? Maybe they want something from the tail section survivors even more than they wanted Walt, something that they haven't yet been able to take?
e30mpwrd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:01 AM   #147 (Print)
MikeMar
Me in Armenia + Flag

Send a message via AIM to MikeMar Send a message via Yahoo to MikeMar
Well the tail group was more IN the island and didn't have the cave like the main group did.

And maybe the others were in their part of the island to start so they went after the Tail more.

"You got some crazy books going on there, you going to open up H and R Blockian?" The Shield about Armenian Mob
MikeMar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #148 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
Quote:
...Another thing- the "Others" whose feet we saw seem to be different (more wild) than the people on the boat that stole Walt... The ones we saw last night were all in tattered clothes, dirty legs, etc. and it seemed like the people on the boat were more civilized...

Except, of course, for the kidnapping, shooting, torching their raft, and leaving them to die.

But yeah, they *looked* it.

Have we seen that teddy bear before? It seems familiar, but it IS a teddy bear, so I'm not sure if it's from Lost or not.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #149 (Print)
MasterCephus

Send a message via AIM to MasterCephus
I thought this episode was kind of slow, I kept waiting for it to "kick in", but like someone mentioned, we have gotten so much in the last 3 episodes, it was bound to happen sometime.

I like the idea of Mr. Eko maybe not being a survivor...but I don't know.

As far as the spoiler being mentioned:

I believe it's shannan. Maggie Grace is in the move The Fog and I think she is going to be in X3. So I think as an actress, she has some really big things going on. It would be natural for her to leave now and try to cash in on her success from the show.

I am still totally drown into the show. I really hope they explain what happened to the tail survivors. For them to have "Trust issues" some things must have happened. There is really no telling.

Did anyone else notice Jack saying his wedding band is still in his sock drawer? I tihnk there is another backstory there.
MasterCephus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #150 (Print)
chavez

Mr. Eko
Izzat like Mr. Ed?
chavez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post